H.A.
TalkingReckless
CBarca
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Interested in Programming Empty Interested in Programming

Post by CBarca Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:12 am

I believe this is the first thread I've made in the new forums....I'm no thread maker Very Happy

Anyway, I'm interested in learning about programming in the free time I have. It interests me as a possible career and I think it's just pretty cool in general. I'm reading all of the basic stuff I can get my hands on right now, however, as a very young dude who really has no experience in programming and probably even lacks some of the math skills to do some of it (perhaps the more advanced stuff, again, I'm so new to it I have no idea), I am not really sure where I'm supposed to start and what to learn first, as well as advised websites, and I kind of really would like just two things:

Where to start
Where to go next

It is really that simple Very Happy

If anyone has anything more, like programs that can help or are advised, that is awesome as well.

If anyone has any information that can help me in this pursuit, I would appreciate it greatly! Otherwise I may just be wandering off aimlessly haha.

Thanks in advance, if there is anybody, I know this isn't a particularly tech savvy forum.

Cheers, CBarca
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Interested in Programming Empty Re: Interested in Programming

Post by TalkingReckless Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:47 am

i would say start with Python... is simple and gives you a good base to learn other languages such as C++ and Java as you get better
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:04 am

Thank you for the response, and the quickness of it! Very Happy

Will take into consideration your advice especially because from what I've read, Python seems to be a good starting point.

Thank you! Very Happy
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:39 am

HTML and JAVAscript and CSS are also another one to look at....
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by H.A. Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:49 am

Well I could probably point you towards some lecture material that explain basic programming. You can shoot me a PM if you're interested

Personally I started with python, its great for a beginner but I think if you start with C its better for you especially if you plan to use C++ later on Very Happy

Anyway to start with you should download Python or Microsoft Visual Studio/ Xcode [for mac], its where you can start writing your code and running it.

You should find plenty of videos in youtube to explain the basics first. If you need anything just ask Wink
H.A.
H.A.
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:43 am

Thanks guys. Much appreciated! Smile
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by punkfusion1992 Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:41 pm

start with simple programming languages like Java
Python is a scripting language and picking it up wont be too easy

but Java you kinda have to use your own words to program rpoperly
punkfusion1992
punkfusion1992
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:59 pm

This is how I started, at first learned HTML/CSS as a markup-language, it's really easy and are not required math skills. Then learned C++/C# as an Object Oriented Language [Or Java if you're interested in game programming].

After that I'd recommend scripting/cgi languages like PHP, Python, Perl etc.

To learn the very basic stuff I recommend you: http://w3schools.com
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutti Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:14 am

Unless you're learning programming for Engineering, Science or Math which you said you're not then you won't touch any Math.

At least, not until you want to study binary, hexadecimal and interfacing between electronic devices or possibly deeper study in algorithm.
Dutti
Dutti
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:47 pm

anyone expert in VB.net ?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:55 pm

RealGunner wrote:anyone expert in VB.net ?

i did some VB during my internship at bosch Very Happy im not too good with it though i barely programmed a simple checkbox activation when you selected something from the dropdown menu Very Happy
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:02 am

VB isn't that hard.... tried it once made a crappy web browser with it...

if you know C++ or Java... VB is easily if you learn the basics for it
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:12 am

urbaNRoots wrote:This is how I started, at first learned HTML/CSS as a markup-language, it's really easy and are not required math skills. Then learned C++/C# as an Object Oriented Language [Or Java if you're interested in game programming].

After that I'd recommend scripting/cgi languages like PHP, Python, Perl etc.

To learn the very basic stuff I recommend you: http://w3schools.com

http://w3fools.com/

Came across this...

Can anyone clarify. Oh I am bumping an older thread Razz and my own. The arrogance...

Soon after I made this thread school got really busy and I dropped the whole thing. I recently stimulated my interest in it again, between school, football, and coaching football I don't know if I'll be able to do much of anything but hell if I have time to spend on here, I have time to spare to learn a bit of something now and then. Planning on dedicating time to this during the summer though Very Happy

We'll see where it takes me. If i like it then I could pursue the career or related ones, the job market for those kinds of careers (from my perspective) seems quite ridiculous.

Seeing as I have absolutely no idea what I'll do in the future, as I said a while ago, worth the interest
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Good choice CBarca. You should definitely go ahead. It will be time well spent.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:58 pm

well to be honest if you like being indoors and have no problem doing monotone type of work 8 hours a day and in the long run for 40 years then this job is perfect for u. if u like traveling being outdoors etc... then i would seriously reconsider if i were you and dont forget u can always take up programming as a hobby, most engineers learn programming on the side.
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooony Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Oh you want to create bugs.
Spooony
Spooony
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:02 pm

first things first, you cant really learn Java without understanding Objects (a method of coding) so to achieve that id start with C++ first

C++ is very simple and the logic behind it is shared by most advanced programing languages.

If you're interested in web programing then the obvious place to start is HTML (cant do shit without it) Java scripts are the next step (i look at Java scripts as reversed C++ codes so it makes sense to C++ first) and finally PHP and CSS are for more advanced stuff

so to get started, http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
This site follows the same format we used in uni, baby steps and all
to create the actual programs you need a compiler program, personally i'd go for borland C++ for the same of simplicity but there are better programs
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooony Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:33 pm

Writing in C or C++ is like running a chain saw with all the safety guards removed. If I've got a simple task to do (eg the text-file-of-URLS example) then I knock it up in shell script. By the time that simple task has feature-creeped up to more than 20 lines I start to wish I'd written it in Perl. So I rewrite. By the time that Perl script has crept up to more than 200 lines I start to wish it was written in Python. So I rewrite. By the time that Python script has crept up to 2000 lines I start to wish I'd farmed the job out to a team of programmers, and I give up caring what language its written in and make them do it as a web service. Then I write a small shell script to call their web service. When that shell script has feature-creeped up to more than 20 lines
Spooony
Spooony
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:54 am

I think C++ is a little outdated in the sense that most companies, at least this side of the border seem to be looking for C# experience. (Not that there is a huge difference between them)

But I've primarily seen the need for C# and VB in the job market.

If you are looking at web development, ASP.Net seems to be in high demand. Moreso because it is used to an extent in things like sharepoint development, etc.

There is a free/lite compiler called visual web developer express, IIRC that allows the creation of basic websites with ASP.Net in addition to other things.

Allows you to put into practice concepts of HTML/XML/CSS/AJAX and even some backend database type deals.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:40 am

Thanks for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it.

As of right now I'm looking to kinda just learn it, screw around with it and try to have fun with it and see if it interests me, everything else comes after.

I mean, my thought process was, if I'm going to waste my time playing games...couldn't I put it to something useful that seems really interesting? And I like that thought- it's damn hard to do though. It's hard to want to learn all this after a whole day of school Razz

Of course, I'm just interested in anything CS related, programming is just at the head of that list Very Happy

The thing is, I'm not a real big math guy. So I guess my question is (if people are still interested in responding), if I were to go into this for a career-hypothetically- would a strong math background be required?

Because while I'm in the 'accelerated' type of math for my grade, and I get good grades in it...I'm not really that great at it. I'm much stronger in other subjects. I'm still good at it and I'll be taking the better classes for math, but it's not really my thing. I don't enjoy it much.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:21 am

You dont need a maths background in the literal sense. It is more about logic and developing algorithms which is not the typical maths that you learn in school. There are certain areas in software development that use maths though.

But since you get good grades in your maths class, you will be able to do programming as well and you dont really need to know the advanced maths concepts if you are going to program to create software. Atleast, as per my experience, that has been the case.

kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:26 am

kiranr wrote:
You dont need a maths background in the literal sense. It is more about logic and developing algorithms which is not the typical maths that you learn in school. There are certain areas in software development that use maths though.

But since you get good grades in your maths class, you will be able to do programming as well and you dont really need to know the advanced maths concepts if you are going to program to create software. Atleast, as per my experience, that has been the case.

Are you a programmer or software developer?

I was always under the impression you were an engineer of sorts but didn't know exactly which kind. Is this alright I ask? More curiosity than anything, I should know more of a fellow Culé Very Happy
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:41 am

No CBarca. I am an engineer, but mechanical not software. But i have friends who are in software development and programming.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:53 am

kiranr wrote:
No CBarca. I am an engineer, but mechanical not software. But i have friends who are in software development and programming.

Oh alright, interesting to know (^.^)

I always knew you were an engineer, dunno if it was you saying it sometime or the fact that you have that India flag under your name (Razz) but somehow I knew.

Do they like their jobs?

Getting off topic, I know, but the thread will always go back to the original topic eventually Very Happy
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:11 am

Some of them do, some of them don't. Like any other job really.

But, i have noticed that you either immediately take to it or you don't. You will know within a few months, after you start, whether you like it or not.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next