This World Cup - The best in recent history?

+27
Nishankly
VivaStPauli
Hapless_Hans
CBarca
Valkyrja
Winter is Coming
M99
Casciavit
zigra
Zagadka
guest_07
Great Leader Sprucenuce
RealGunner
El Gunner
S
Art Morte
titosantill
urbaNRoots
LeBéninois
Robespierre
terrance511
BarcaLearning
GRude
Cruijf
Luca
Babun
Kaladin
31 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best WC in recent memory?

This World Cup - The best in recent history? - Page 2 Vote_lcap81%This World Cup - The best in recent history? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 81% 
[ 17 ]
This World Cup - The best in recent history? - Page 2 Vote_lcap19%This World Cup - The best in recent history? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 21

This World Cup - The best in recent history? - Page 2 Empty Re: This World Cup - The best in recent history?

Post by zigra Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:47 pm

I can't see this not ending up as the greatest of all time.

zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

This World Cup - The best in recent history? - Page 2 Empty Re: This World Cup - The best in recent history?

Post by Art Morte Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:58 pm

Okay, now this is being the best one ever, lol.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:10 pm

I've changed my mind... but nah it really is the best I've witnessed as a football fan.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:34 pm

Agree with you lot above (up to this point in the tournament!)
I just hope the drama continues at this rate.

Too early to concretely call it the best of all time, or best of our lifetime when half of the tournament is still left to be played.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:41 pm

El Gunner wrote:Agree with you lot above (up to this point in the tournament!)
I just hope the drama continues at this rate.

Too early to concretely call it the best of all time, or best of our lifetime when half of the tournament is still left to be played.

VAR will ensure more drama going forward
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:54 pm

Lots of drama this group stage, hopefully the knockout rounds try to maintain the same kind of entertainment.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:56 pm

There's recency bias going on, group stages last time were as good. Spain, Italy, England, Portugal all went out and there were cracking games and drama too.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:00 pm

M99 wrote:There's recency bias going on, group stages last time were as good. Spain, Italy, England, Portugal all went out and there were cracking games and drama too.

nah, this isn't the case I can assure you.

2014 had nowhere near as much competitive games and drama.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:10 pm

Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:12 pm

Now everybody is ready for the 0-0 Portugal-Uruguay game that ends in a PK shootout.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:12 pm

Crazy tournament. Hope it continues this way
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:22 pm

It actually keeps getting better :bow:
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:25 pm

M99 wrote:There's recency bias going on, group stages last time were as good. Spain, Italy, England, Portugal all went out and there were cracking games and drama too.

2014 was one of the best group stages tbh. A lot of goals and a lot of entertaining games.

I think this one was probably slightly better (I couldn't watch most of them though, so I can't say for sure), but I think they were really quite comparable.

iirc 2014's knockout stages onward were godawful though, so 2018 is already leading in that category
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:40 pm

Trying to get excited about club football in August might be a bit difficult after a WC like this.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:40 pm

EPL has one weekend with more drama and banter than the entire WC tbh

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:51 pm

No doubts now
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:53 pm

Yep, insane last 16 so far.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:53 pm

Quality wise this is not a good world cup. The football is poor, the top teams all severely disappointing, the surprise teams scrubbing along.

Lots of upsets and hard to predict, but let's not act as if watching Sweden play Switzerland constitutes a great World Cup.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:58 pm

Quality wise '14 wasn't very good either tbh, that's just a fact with NT football.

For me I don't think it'll top the amazing emotions '14 brought simply because the teams I was cheering for (Holland and Argentina) did well. Having said that I can understand that from a neutral's perspective it's been fantastic.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:58 pm

While Hans is right, I actually get quite the enjoyment out of the upsets. Would've preferred Germany retaining the title, but once we were out, the surprise results really got me back in, emotionally. Really enjoying this WC.
The football being played is very poor quality though.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:59 pm

Needed to rewrite this hmm

We didn't really have many upsets I think if we look at the outcome.
Ultimately all the teams we expected to qualify did so apart from Germany and maybe Senegal? Don't know if I forgot about someone else.

Now we have Spain, but in 2014 we had more "top teams" go out in the group stage alone.

We had massive drama though and I think the quality has been fine for a national team event.

Last edited by zigra on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:01 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Quality wise this is not a good world cup. The football is poor, the top teams all severely disappointing, the surprise teams scrubbing along.

Lots of upsets and hard to predict, but let's not act as if watching Sweden play Switzerland constitutes a great World Cup.

It does for me. Watching Sweden play Switzerland is far more interesting than seeing Bayern play Real Madrid for the 3rd time in 4 seasons or so, same players, same result. Boring af.

If it wasn‘t for Arsenal changing manager I would dread the start of a new season.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:03 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Quality wise this is not a good world cup. The football is poor, the top teams all severely disappointing, the surprise teams scrubbing along.

Someone's bitter. Sweden vs Switzerland is much more exciting than Germany vs Switzerland.

And maybe top teams have been poor because smaller teams have improved and gap is shortening hmm (Croatia, Uruguay)
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:05 pm

Drama is off the scale at this WC, that for me is better than outright amazing football.

Getting a bit sad at the thought I might never see as good a WC as this one, actually. Almost every game serves up something great.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:08 pm

Uruguay IS an actual top team @M99.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:33 pm

M99 wrote:

Someone's bitter. Sweden vs Switzerland is much more exciting than Germany vs Switzerland.

And maybe top teams have been poor because smaller teams have improved and gap is shortening hmm (Croatia, Uruguay)

I don't regard Croatia or Uruguay as small teams tbh. Croatia vs Argentine was the best performance of the World Cup. I didN't see yesterday's Uru vs Portugal so I can't comment, seems like Uruguay were good.
Spain Portugal was rather good and very entertaining. But for me, the quality is far too over the place, I hope it picks up.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next