Has any National Team ever gotten such an easy road to the Euro final?

+11
Lucifer
Hapless_Hans
S
Doc
farfan
McAgger
BarrileteCosmico
Luca
Based Bonera
The Demon of Carthage
nasir6371
15 posters

Go down

Has any National Team ever gotten such an easy road to the Euro final?  Empty Has any National Team ever gotten such an easy road to the Euro final?

Post by nasir6371 Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:15 am

Iceland- D
Austria- D
Hungary- D
Croatia- D
Poland- D
Wales - (Ramsey and Davis Out)

Kommander Mad

Bale pls Molenation
nasir6371
nasir6371
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Has any National Team ever gotten such an easy road to the Euro final?  Empty Re: Has any National Team ever gotten such an easy road to the Euro final?

Post by Guest Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:25 am

You can only beat who they play in front of you.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Has any National Team ever gotten such an easy road to the Euro final?  Empty Re: Has any National Team ever gotten such an easy road to the Euro final?

Post by The Demon of Carthage Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:37 am

Portugal was written off before even the tournament had started. Now, they're in the semis thanks to Kommander.

They defeated Croatia, who defeated Spain.
They drew Iceland, who defeated England.
They defeated Poland, who drew Germany and defeated Ukraine and North Ireland.

You see draws everywhere, I see an underdog who still hasn't tasted defeat yet.

And why's that? Because they have a god among men within their ranks, a legend, a demigod, a phenomenon we shall never see his like again: Der Kommander
Has any National Team ever gotten such an easy road to the Euro final?  754-cristiano-ronaldo-the-commander-and-el-comandante
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Based Bonera Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:47 am

KOmmander > Messi
Based Bonera
Based Bonera
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:51 am

Real Madrid gets Wolfsburg, Manchester City and Atletico Madrid
Real Portugal gets Croatia, Poland and Wales

Queue the tinfoil hats and harmonicas

Someone out there wants Cristiano Ronaldo to clean up this season Proud

Nah in all seriousness, tournaments are like this. Croatia, even if they choked beyond oblivion, was a very tough game, as was Poland... Wales will not be easy, even if they are weakened with the loss of Ramsey.

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by nasir6371 Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:28 am

^^
Your right but most tournament don't have such a lopsided brackets.

One side of the bracket has 0 Euro Championship titles and the other side has won 9/15 Euro Laughing
nasir6371
nasir6371
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:40 am

nasir6371 wrote:^^
Your right but most tournament don't have such a lopsided brackets.

One side of the bracket has 0 Euro Championship titles and the other side has won 9/15 Euro Laughing

It's just how it happened
England fails to win their group
Spain fails to win their group
Italy tops their group over favourites Belgium
Portugal finishes third in their group

Switch even a couple of those teams around with their counterparts and the brackets balance much better. It's just how it goes I suppose, it's made for some great match ups at the very least.

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:54 am

If they're facing these teams instead of some "better" ones it's because those didn't finish 1st in their groups. I think the real issue is the low quality of football in European football (or int football in general).
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:12 am

Portugal hasn't won a single game and they are about to make the final Proud
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:19 am

Most here thought Croatia were this tournament's dark horse and were expected to handle Portugal pretty easily . hmm Now they're reduced to being part of Portugal's supposed easy road to the final ? Laughing
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:21 am

To be fair, people thought that because their side of the bracket looked incredibly accesible, allowing for sub-standard teams to reach the final :whistle:
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:34 am

And portugal were one of the supposed sub-standard teams that Croatia was expected to feast on . hmm  people would've picked Poland to beat them too  had they met in the second round .

The general consensus  was that Portugal were sub-standard even in the sub-standard bracket , so hearing people say they were handed an easy road after they made it to the semis  is a bit hindsight 20/20  . hmm
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:56 am

I'll admit that I really thought Croatia would have put Portugal to the sword. They had everything going for them that Portugal didn't and by Odin's beard, Croatia managed to not do anything correct against them.

I expected Portugal to beat Poland though. Quietly observed my fellow GL mates overestimating Poland's ability to defend deep for long stretches without getting exposed. Switzerland showed it was possible and Portugal would have won outright but El Kommander felt merciful that day.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by S Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:35 am

farfan wrote:Most  here thought Croatia were this tournament's dark horse and were expected to handle Portugal pretty easily . hmm  Now they're reduced to being part of Portugal's supposed easy road to the final ? Laughing

Its incredible  how the narrative has changed here on the forum suddenly Laughing

S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:45 am

TBH Portugal are still substandard.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:15 am

Kommander is arranging the biggest Army for the biggest war the Europe has ever seen since Christians and Muslims fought for Constantinople. You blaspheme non believers better pray to your God that Kommander doesn't become victorious for if he does there will be huntdown. Non believers will be hunted one by one just like Church did with free thinking women accusing them of being witches. You, my dear non believers, will be accused of being spastic and will be trolled and mocked in the meanest way internet has ever seen. Your posts will be searched and quoted and u will be figuratively striped naked and people will point at your wily and laugh. So please, non believers I repeat please surrender urself to kommander and accept him as ur general for he is one who will decide ur fate. Time to reasses your choices and beliefs folks for the Crusade is about to start.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:07 pm

nasir6371 wrote:Iceland- D
Austria- D
Hungary- D
Croatia- D
Poland- D
Wales - (Ramsey and Davis Out)

Kommander Mad

Bale pls Molenation

I have been having this thought for so long and it makes my blood boil. Firstly the tournament format is so wrong. If in any tournament the number of teams qualifying from the group stage is more than half the number of teams participating the format is screwed without question. Yes I know this is certainly not the first time this has happened but it enrages me that the likes of Fifa and Uefa refuse to learn. A third placed team in a group of four has no place in the knock out rounds and when it defeats a first placed team I consider it a travesty of justice. To compound that the pathetically lucky victory that Portugal got over Croatia makes you want to bang your head against the wall. For a team that came third in it's group to have the easiest possible path to the final, easier than it would have got had it come first or second is just horrendous. Uefa made a grave error with this tournament that they will never be honest enough to admit.

Now let's also recall how lucky a path to the UCL final Real Madrid got this season and that they ultimately won on the lottery of penalties. What do we get? Well for my money we get the luckiest year that any footballer has ever had since I began following the beautiful game. It's as if Lady Luck has offered herself to him in every whichever way completing removing her eyes from everyone else.

Having said all that though I must be honest enough to accept that results always come first. Who you beat and how you play, whether we like it or not, is secondary. So what happens if Cristiano's Portugal wins Euro 2016? He does what Messi has never done - win a senior international title. He wins his country's first ever major international title. He wins player of the tournament. He wins the Ballon D'or for 2016. He becomes a Maradona like demi god in Portuguese football history. Despite my terrible luck in this tournament I will keep hoping against hope all this does not happen but if it does then I cannot really grudge him all the accolades he will get. This is simply because history has always glorified the winners and few have bothered to research into just how much they deserved that glory. Being an undeserving winner is always better than being a very high performing loser. So just like all winners have had their glory moments and all that came with it, if Cristiano wins then he will get all this and more and there's nothing anyone in the world can do to deny him.

Last edited by messixaviesta on Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:15 pm

farfan wrote:And portugal were one of the supposed sub-standard teams that Croatia was expected to feast on . hmm  people would've picked Poland to beat them too  had they met in the second round .

The general consensus  was that Portugal were sub-standard even in the sub-standard bracket , so hearing people say they were handed an easy road after they made it to the semis  is a bit hindsight 20/20  . hmm

You can only speak for yourself and personally i have always thought Croatia are overrated as hell Laughing and this isn't hindsight because i have been saying it since the group stage, well longer than that really but in the interest of this tournament.

I mean Rakitic is their 2nd best player probably Laughing

Can't fault Portugal though, can only beat what's put in front of you and like BC said it's probably more about the low quality of football at international level really and you can't do anything about that in the short term.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:23 pm

Luca wrote:
Someone out there wants Cristiano Ronaldo to clean up this season Proud

Shouldn't that be "Someone up there"? Smile

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:24 pm

The opponents don't really bother me... Portugal not winning a single game until Wales does.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:30 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:To be fair, people thought that because their side of the bracket looked incredibly accesible, allowing for sub-standard teams to reach the final :whistle:

People were saying Croatia or Belgium and I would have so much preferred either of them but I always thought it would be Portugal because even though they are not the best of these teams they are the mentally toughest of the lot and Cristiano's luck this year is perhaps at a level not seen before. Only losing the final can put any kind of dampener in that. Croatia were unlucky in their knock out match but they also disappointed me by playing in a cowardly way never allowing their superior midfield to really take charge of the game. That was by public opinion the worst game in the tournament and people really fell asleep watching it.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:32 pm

Here's a message for all those Non believers.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:36 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:TBH Portugal are still substandard.

Very Happy To be honest France are not that much better either. The real final was Germany vs. Italy but the latter were so unlucky on that fatal penalty kick and the former found a way to throw away their own immense chance at glory by committing stupidities of asinine proportions. Between the finalists though there's no question who deserves it more because only one team came third in it's group and only one team needed penalties to knock out Poland.

Last edited by messixaviesta on Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:36 pm

I should have copyrighted Bolieve posts tbh.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Zees Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:50 am

Iceland knocked out one of the greatest footballing nations, England
Croatia defeated the current champions, Spain
Poland drew against World cup winners and the best team in the world, Germany
Wales destroyed the 2nd FIFA ranked team in the world, Belgium

But haters will say Kommander has had an easy path
Spoiler:
Zees
Zees
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down