Kaladin
Kick
Jay29
Art Morte
rincon
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What makes a great coach? - Page 2 Empty Re: What makes a great coach?

Post by CM Pep Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:55 pm

The Black Sheep wrote:Depends on different factors and circumstances.

If a coach is coming into a team that he has had no influence over, I'd say a great coach would be able to adapt and make the most with what he has. Just because you have a philosophy, doesn't mean your current roster will thrive under those same tactics/ideals. So I'd say a great coach should be flexible and able to get results with his current ingredients.

Another aspect for me is a coach with vision. This can be dependent on management and how much influence he has over transfers. That being said, I think a great coach builds a team with a purpose. With this new transfer market one has to be flexible and able to access talent and how well any given player will fit into that system. Adding to this aspect, I feel it's crucial for a coach to also have backup plans and the ability to implement different formations against different oppositions (when necessary). If you only have a plan A, you're bound to get figured out, or come across certain opponents don't struggle against your one system.

Player motivation/getting the most out of your team/player management. The system should always be greater than any one individual. Players get sold, players demand to be sold and if you rely on individuals, I believe you're setting yourself up for failure. At the same time, you're only as strong as your weakest link and it's crucial to make everyone buy into your ideals.

I might be forgetting some aspects, but lastly I will have to agree with the homie McLewis - BIG BALLS. A coach has to stand up for what he believes and demand that management doesn't stand in his way. Sure you might not always get what you want, but if you're constantly giving in, you set yourself up for failure. In this world, you have to fight for what you believe and if a team isn't willing to get behind you, you will be compromising yourself and everything you stand for.

The visionary part rings really true. I like coaches that are process oriented more than people oriented. One of the major reasons why SAF was able to thrive. Even when his best players would leave he had the ability to consistently succeed.

Probably the only thing he wasn't good at was the ability to replace himself. Oh well, can't have it all.

CM Pep
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:10 pm

Art Morte wrote:
rincon wrote:
What makes a great coach? Should a coach impose a style on his squad and be judged on his ability to mold them or should he adapt to his players and find a fitting solution? Somewhere in between?

Umm, neither. A good coach, maybe. A good coach finds the right tactical system for his squad. But a great coach? He is someone like Arsene Wenger. Always capable of rejuvenating the team. There are a lot of good coaches out there who get the best out of their squad, but fail to keep them great. Great coaches are those who can keep their team competitive for years and years on.

i really like this answer. i'm not a fan of wenger, i think he gets very naive with respect to tactics, his miserly ways don't impress me, and he gets very annoying when teams beat him etc...but to constantly develop a team is a good trait, at least for me. and its very difficult especially when you have to work with players ageing and knowing when and how to rejuvenate the team

in the case of arsene, it can also be a negative- he got rid of the crux of the invisibles too early, and some can raise the argument that at another club he wouldn't have had the privilege of staying to rejuvenate the side. But i like your overall point
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Based Bonera Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:01 am

A great coach is who constantly underachieves but still keeps his job.

Based Bonera
Based Bonera
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:01 pm

A great coach is one who can make the team better than sum of its individual parts. That's where the coaching comes, tactics comes.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2