Kick
free_cat
32 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Too many perma banned users - Page 2 Empty Re: Too many perma banned users

Post by Unique Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:08 pm

rwo power wrote:
free_cat wrote:Can't you ban the IP for some months instead of perma-ban?
Many ISPs give out a new IP address everytime you connect to them, and banning the whole range of the provider would ban everybody going online by them.

Moreover, you might have heard about VPNs and Proxy servers ^^
if I lose my last 25% how long do I get banned for. and when I come back is my warning level back up to 100% cheers

Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:08 pm

Laughing

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:09 pm

Laughing

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:44 pm

If anything GL mods are too easy on us.

Jibers has like 6 accounts himself and is not banned permanently and there is more examples.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:46 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:If anything GL mods are too easy on us.

Jibers has like 6 accounts himself and is not banned permanently and there is more examples.
nobody likes a snitch eco smile
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:03 pm

Pls

It is known.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Unique wrote:
izzy wrote:Are you guys serious?

The Mods are extremely lenient imo.
Half the stuff people get away with here...... they wouldn't last 10 posts anywhere else.
dude. I'm down to my last warning and the 3 offences that put me there were
1. I posted to many of these rofl as a response to chad going on one of his rants.
2. I was reading a thread from the last page I left it on instead of reading the last page first answering posts as I went along but I didn't know on the last page the mods said any more replys on the matter would cost 25% but by then I had posted a reply before I saw the warning but when I explained it to them it didn't matter.
3. I told sepi to suck my balls. something I say to my mates when they ring me up after Liverpool lose a game. not really abuse imo.

so I'm down to my last warning and not once did I know at the time this could cost me.

You would get a 20 year ban on most forums for the shit you post. Stop complaining and try to improve as a poster.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:50 pm

^Yep, if you think GL mods are harsh try NeoGAF Laughing
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:56 pm

Only regret I have is to not ban those clowns way before we finally did (which was too late).

Ruined the forum and made many fantastic posters leave due their trolling and our leniency to give him chance after chance. Thankfully GL recovered and no way in hell we are ever letting that happen again.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:10 pm

M99 wrote:
Unique wrote:

Half the stuff people get away with here...... they wouldn't last 10 posts anywhere else.
dude. I'm down to my last warning and the 3 offences that put me there were
1. I posted to many of these rofl as a response to chad going on one of his rants.
2. I was reading a thread from the last page I left it on instead of reading the last page first answering posts as I went along but I didn't know on the last page the mods said any more replys on the matter would cost 25% but by then I had posted a reply before I saw the warning but when I explained it to them it didn't matter.
3. I told sepi to suck my balls. something I say to my mates when they ring me up after Liverpool lose a game. not really abuse imo.

so I'm down to my last warning and not once did I know at the time this could cost me.

You would get a 20 year ban on most forums for the shit you post. Stop complaining and try to improve as a poster.
shut up you tart eco smile eco smile
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:14 pm

RealGunner wrote:Only regret I have is to not ban those clowns way before we finally did (which was too late).

Ruined the forum and made many fantastic posters leave due their trolling and our leniency to give him chance after chance. Thankfully GL recovered and no way in hell we are ever letting that happen again.

come on gunner. give me some love. you know you and the rest of the mods love me. eco smile eco smile
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:30 pm

General rule of thumb: whining about the warnings you receive and about not having your level increased often has the exact opposite effect of that intended. The more you complain about it, the longer it will be before it is raised, as the implication is that you intend to do something that will break the rules and thus need that extra bit of "wiggle room" to get away with it.

Alternate accounts result in permanent bans for all linked accounts specifically because any lesser offense creates an unmanageable scenario for our moderating staff. As things stand, you would be absolutely astounded by the amount of effort that goes into ensuring that the most serious offenders do not pollute the forums with hate and bile via multi-accounts. While the action itself may not seen terribly offensive, it's wider impact and consequences are such that it must be considered worthy of a permanent ban. In basically every conceivable case, the creation of another, alternate account, is directly related to other rule-breaking and disruptive activity that negatively impacts the forums and the users.

Finally, the vast majority of permanent bans are indeed explained in the Ban Thread that is Stickied to the top of this section. There are not, as you claim, many unexplained permanent bans. The only permanent bans not addressed within that thread are the multiple-account and spam bans. In a number of particularly high-profile permanent bans, the ones which I believe are free_cat's focus, most resulted from very drawn out and public affairs of the poster in question repeatedly breaking rules, failing to heed notices and warnings, and previous temporary bans... and said bans are, almost to the one, addressed in the previously mentioned thread.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:14 am

Not a hard concept to grasp, Unique and Free.

Posting here is a privilege. Not a right. Follow the rules and you have nothing to worry about. Neither ignorance nor nostalgia for years past are acceptable reasons for breaking rules or for bringing back perma-banned posters. It will not happen as the decisions made by the Admin staff are final.

Those guys ultimately are gone because it was decided that it was in the best interest of this community that they not be allowed to post here any further. Unlike you 2, we as Admins and Mods must think of ALL posters and not just those we may individually like.

Banning someone is never a light decision and none of us take any real pleasure in doing so. It's part of the responsibility that comes with the title. Not pleasant business, but necessary.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:59 am

There's not too many bans at all, and multiple accounts should be a perma ban because if it wasn't, it would send the message that you can post ban worthy shit 24/7, get banned and start all over again. Now imagine 10 people on a small-ish forum like GL constantly trolling with multiple accounts. The forum would be dead.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:25 am

McLewis wrote:Not a hard concept to grasp, Unique and Free.

Posting here is a privilege. Not a right. Follow the rules and you have nothing to worry about. Neither ignorance nor nostalgia for years past are acceptable reasons for breaking rules or for bringing back perma-banned posters. It will not happen as the decisions made by the Admin staff are final.

Those guys ultimately are gone because it was decided that it was in the best interest of this community that they not be allowed to post here any further. Unlike you 2, we as Admins and Mods must think of ALL posters and not just those we may individually like.

Banning someone is never a light decision and none of us take any real pleasure in doing so. It's part of the responsibility that comes with the title. Not pleasant business, but necessary.
I'm not saying any concept is hard to grasp buddy. and I know the rules. but I can 100% say that any thing I have done to get points dropped off my warning level was a bit of a shock to me. I have never set out to lose warning points and if I knew I would be docked warning points at the time I would never have said or done the things that dropped my points. I have never once lost my cool and got out of hand on the forum. I have never got personal and said anything that anyone would find offensive. I don't troll anyone. I don't spam. and I still say with 100% honesty that it was not my falt when I replyed to a post without reading the last page in the thread. lets face it mate. if I had read the last page that said I would be docked 25% if I replyed to it I would never have done it. Thumbs up
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:30 am

Then perhaps you should use these instances as learning experiences and move forward, rather than dwelling on them and complaining here about how "petty" the warnings were?
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:36 am

Unique, would you say it's possible that your warning level is in any way related to your temperament as a poster?

I personally can't even fathom how people get banned here. It's so lenient lmao
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:43 am

RedOranje wrote:Then perhaps you should use these instances as learning experiences and move forward, rather than dwelling on them and complaining here about how "petty" the warnings were?
I'm not complaining mate. I'm giving feed back in the feed back section. is that not what the feed back section is for. I'm not trying to piss on your corn flakes buddy but if feed back is not welcome then maybe the feed back section should be locked. all I'm saying is not once have I posted a comment that I thought would get me on the wrong side of the mods. I like this forum. and I don't want a ban. but I can 100% say I have never made a post and thought this might cost me warning points. I know the mods have a job to do. and I know we are all from different parts of the world where one persons banter is a insult to others. but I truly feel sometimes the mods are a bit trigger happy. just my opinion anyway.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:53 am

CBarca wrote:Unique, would you say it's possible that your warning level is in any way related to your temperament as a poster?

I personally can't even fathom how people get banned here. It's so lenient lmao
if you look at my post here you would see what I'm talking about. the first 25% was because chad was on a rant about god knows. and I posted lots of these rofl rofl rofl the 2nd 25% was for replying to a post that I read 3 pages from the end without reading the last page where the mods said anyone replying to the post will lose 25%. tbh I don't think that was fair. when I leave a thread at what ever page I pick up the same thread on the last page I read. then I just reply to each post as I move along. by the time I got to the last page I saw the warning and lost 25%. I inboxed one of the mods telling them it was a mistake but it was tough shit. surly they must have known I wouldent have made the post if I knew I would get 25% off my tab. tbh mate if I thought I had done something to get a warning I will hold my hands up. but honest to god I have never made a single post where I thought I'm gonna get busted for that.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:26 am

Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:30 am

Like I said it is not (just) the perma bans.
It's other stuff like deleting posts and moving/merging threads, and changing threads titles, etc etc that I question
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:57 pm

I know RWO spends alot of effort trying to make a thread stick to the topic of the OP by "moving/merging" posts that should and should not be there. Too many times some posters open a thread about a topic for which there is an identical thread if you just bothered to use the search box and in that case threads are merged. Or if a discussion strays way off topic those post would be moved to the appropriate thread or a new thread if there are none discussing that topic. You know they should be praised by the amount of crap they take and the work they do not moaned at

Thread title change is either done because it needs a more up to date title and posters are not bothered to change it for example a "Veratti to Real Madrid rumours" thread to a "Official: Veratti to Real Madrid done" it's so that posters don't open new threads for every little thing that barely reach 5 posts before a new thread is open but with the OP just a tweak from the previous thread. Waste of space and unattractive for the forum.

I have never had a problem with a moderator in fact I believe they are doing a great job. So stop moaning

There you go RG I did it, can I finally have my title as a chat mod hmm
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:08 pm

I tend to agree with izzy and company on this issue. The mods are very lenient here; in my experience much more so than their counterparts on other sites of the same genre (especially as relates to friendly winding up, running jokes, suspect threads, 'banter', etc). Sure, I have objections to some of the rules around this place (primarily with the outright prohibition of the F word regardless of context – though that's beside the point), but as RedO said, the rules predate the creation of every account here, and as a result each member knew what he was agreeing to at the time of his registration, as well as that his membership on the site (and/or the 100% security thereof) was contingent on his activity on it remaining within those guidelines.

As far as the actual breaking of the rules and the sanction any offender incurs by doing so, that matter is, if anything, even more lenient than the original rules themselves. Though I'm aware it varies based on transgression, generally speaking you have an original warning via a mod admonishing you for something you've done before any tangible action is taken, then 3 more warnings in the form of official Warning Level reductions, before more serious measures are undertaken (i.e. temporary ban). And even after that severer action is taken, the by-this-point repeated offender is afforded yet another chance to amend his behaviour and continue on the site once his provisional ban is served. And I can pretty confidently say that any person given that many non-fatal warnings, and that many chances at rehabilitation/reformation, but who still persists in breaking the rules and/or defying the instructions of the admins/mods, has very very well earnt and decisively deserves his permanent removal from the site.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:46 pm

halamadrid2 wrote:I know RWO spends alot of effort trying to make a thread stick to the topic of the OP by "moving/merging" posts that should and should not be there. Too many times some posters open a thread about a topic for which there is an identical thread if you just bothered to use the search box and in that case threads are merged. Or if a discussion strays way off topic those post would be moved to the appropriate thread or a new thread if there are none discussing that topic. You know they should be praised by the amount of crap they take and the work they do not moaned at

Thread title change is either done because it needs a more up to date title and posters are not bothered to change it for example a "Veratti to Real Madrid rumours" thread to a "Official: Veratti to Real Madrid done" it's so that posters don't open new threads for every little thing that barely reach 5 posts before a new thread is open but with the OP just a tweak from the previous thread. Waste of space and unattractive for the forum.

I have never had a problem with a moderator in fact I believe they are doing a great job. So stop moaning

There you go RG I did it, can I finally have my title as a chat mod hmm

Of course, I understand that. And that is wonderful. I don't have problem with a name change of those that you gave as examples.

It's just every now and then. Like I said. 10% of the time.
I once created the "I dislike Mesut Ozil as a footballer" thread, now that's my own thread discussing Ozil's style of football and voicing my opinion, and I'd like to have that controversial title stay as it is. But a month or so later there was another thread opened about Ozil and then RWO decided to merge that one with mine, and it got re-titled to "The Mesut Ozil thread" or something like that. It's something small and I didn't make a big deal out of it, but I would just like to have my things stay the way that I created them. It's wasn't offensive or breaking the rules in anyway.

Other day I posted a article similar in nature to the articles that RedOranje posts in the "Red's Random Reports" thread. Guess what, it got deleted. Because the dude insists on having his own corner on a forum intended for everyone. If he doesn't want other people to post in it he might as well lock the thread for the ordinary posters (like the rules thread). Or go open a blog or something and post your articles there. Never knew what I did to this dude, but I sometimes get the feeling that he doesn't like me.

Furthermore, I see stuff such as favouritism and admins/mods slightly exploiting their powers. I don't like to be a sour puss, but these little things sometimes annoy me.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Anyone who uses the search function and thus supports it as it is, should be perma banned if you ask me.

EDIT: also the one who implemented it should be flogged, then perma banned.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:55 pm

El Gunner wrote:I once created the "I dislike Mesut Ozil as a footballer" thread, now that's my own thread discussing Ozil's style of football and voicing my opinion, and I'd like to have that controversial title stay as it is. But a month or so later there was another thread opened about Ozil and then RWO decided to merge that one with mine, and it got re-titled to "The Mesut Ozil thread" or something like that. It's something small and I didn't make a big deal out of it, but I would just like to have my things stay the way that I created them. It's wasn't offensive or breaking the rules in anyway.
So you would prefer to have a dozen threads about basically the same subject that maybe have 5 or 6 or maybe a dozen posts and then get forgotten somewhere in the depths of the GenSec?

If the topics are merged you get one thread that stays accessible and actually gets more people to discuss the topic, which is the player and his style, and not some personal dislike which actually can't really be discussed as taste is not negotiable anyway.

After all, specific topics usually get turned into general discussions if the need is there, and then the original topic isn't appropriate anymore.

Or it is that you just are annoyed that you lost a point in the statistic that lists the number of threads that you opened?
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next