Unique
Kick
free_cat
32 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Too many perma banned users - Page 3 Empty Re: Too many perma banned users

Post by rwo power Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:55 pm

El Gunner wrote:I once created the "I dislike Mesut Ozil as a footballer" thread, now that's my own thread discussing Ozil's style of football and voicing my opinion, and I'd like to have that controversial title stay as it is. But a month or so later there was another thread opened about Ozil and then RWO decided to merge that one with mine, and it got re-titled to "The Mesut Ozil thread" or something like that. It's something small and I didn't make a big deal out of it, but I would just like to have my things stay the way that I created them. It's wasn't offensive or breaking the rules in anyway.
So you would prefer to have a dozen threads about basically the same subject that maybe have 5 or 6 or maybe a dozen posts and then get forgotten somewhere in the depths of the GenSec?

If the topics are merged you get one thread that stays accessible and actually gets more people to discuss the topic, which is the player and his style, and not some personal dislike which actually can't really be discussed as taste is not negotiable anyway.

After all, specific topics usually get turned into general discussions if the need is there, and then the original topic isn't appropriate anymore.

Or it is that you just are annoyed that you lost a point in the statistic that lists the number of threads that you opened?

rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:44 pm

rwo power wrote:Or it is that you just are annoyed that you lost a point in the statistic that lists the number of threads that you opened?
]
Laughing of course not, such things don't bother me, in fact I think I'm still the OP of that merged thread.
It's the retitle that annoyed me.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:05 pm

Okay, Shed bought up a good point. I want to talk about the profanity rules.

I personally find the rule very weird. For example ES posted the infamous "you want a good girl but need the bad *****" in the GOT thread and it got deleted. Seriously? A video of a scene in a TV show is posted in the specific show's thread and it gets deleted? Let's all pretend that this forum is PG13 then why is there a thread on GOT, a show filled with nudity, gore and incest there in the first place? The profanity in posts zero tolerance rule is fine, there is no place for f bombs and other explicits in a football forum but the profanity in images and videos? I once got a pic I posted removed, and I could not figure of why. Later I realized the screenshot of the Tumblr post I posted had the username f***yeahvoldemort. I mean come on, that's harmless. There are several 18+ memes on the meme thread without profanity that is allowed. Say one day Mourinho completely loses it and goes on a profanity filled rant on referees, FA, Wenger and RG's cat. Everyone would want to see that video but it can't be posted here because of that rule.

I think the profanity in images/videos should be revised. RO himself posted the Deadpool trailer with a warning on profanity. Why can't we do that?
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:24 pm

Is the profanity rule because the forum would get into legal trouble and require age verification or something or is it a completely voluntary rule by the admins? If the latter, censoring words seems extremely weird to me but maybe it's a cultural thing (censoring the f word in US TV unlike Germany). Obviously you don't want people to fill their posts with bunch of swear words and I'd warn people who overdo it. But not even being able to write out "WTF" is sort of weird. It doesn't really bother me but while we're at it ...

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:27 pm

M99 wrote:I think the profanity in images/videos should be revised. RO himself posted the Deadpool trailer with a warning on profanity. Why can't we do that?

Lord M99 :bow: :bow:

That's excatly a fine example of what I mean by "exploiting their powers"
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:46 pm

The current profanity rules came about through the exact basis I've already discussed: our personal experience administrating these (and moderating the previous Goal) forums. When we first created these forums we did actually try employing a more flexible and lenient approach to profanity. We attempted to allow posters to use a wider breadth of the more colorful words under the condition that they not be used for comments that were offensive, threatening, or intentionally insulting. Unfortunately, it became quickly apparent that this approach would not be sustainable as, to be completely frank, posters proved unwilling or unable to control themselves. The amount of time and effort spent on sifting through reports and threads to determine whether each individual use of profanity crossed the line was unmanageable made it all but impossible for the Admin staff to keep up with the conflicts and complaints, nevermind do so AND be able to actually participate in and enjoy the conversations in the forum as a whole. Thus, we were forced to re-implement the profanity rules as they were on the Goal forums. Since this change the situation has improved notably, though we have also witnessed regular incidents that suggest that we are in no better standing to re-try that more adaptable system now than we were then. If posters prove unable to or unwilling to even allow the automatic filters to work as intended, there is absolutely NO reason to believe that expecting the forums to self-regulate with profanity allowed. The ban on profanity in images stems from the same basic issue. We have seen it demonstrated on more than one occasion posters will abuse such an ability to post insults, offensive comments, or to circumvent other rules (such as the existing automatic filter). Youtube videos, on the other hand, are a much more difficult medium to abuse in such a manner and, additionally, are entirely voluntary in viewing [it should be noted that the videos do not CENTER on profane or similar content, it is merely tangential to it], whereas text and images appear automatically upon page opening (and please, do not insult my intelligence by suggesting that images be allowed in spoilers, it has been clearly demonstrated that people will not actually abide by such a system).

Merging threads, moving threads, pruning threads, and managing titles are basic custodial functions that the staff undertake. In the vast majority of cases, these actions are taken to make navigating the forums easier and to avoid the type of ridiculous situations we've previously seen (related to the Barca/Madrid additions) which resulted in parts of the forum becoming clogged by redundant, overlapping threads. In point of fact, we have generally received complaints about doing too little such management, rather than too much.

RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:35 pm

Any other question by anyone else?

Might as well be open now since we are at it.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:00 pm

RealGunner wrote:Any other question by anyone else?

Do you prefer garlic sauce or hot sauce to your kebab?

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:06 pm

Garlic and Chilli both

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Do you sometimes make use of the old trick to ask for the salad to be put into a seperate box and not in the bread so that there is more room in the bread for the meat which automatically leads to a kebab with more meat?

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:13 pm

Nah, I prefer salad to be in the main box. It's a hassle to eat it separately. I think the combined taste of sauces and salad and Kebab creates a fantastic overall flavour.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:18 pm

RealGunner wrote:Nah, I prefer salad to be in the main box. It's a hassle to eat it separately. I think the combined taste of sauces and salad and Kebab creates a fantastic overall flavour.

Of course you would put the salad back onto the bread after you bought it separately. The trick is only there to make sure the kebabman puts more meat on the bread and not cheat on you with lots of salad and little meat inbetween. Not to actually eat the salad separately.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:23 pm

nothing except my rank 'SARTLET'
MEANING:- 'young actress with aspirations to become a star. Shocked

Last edited by Pirloisjesus on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:37 pm

yes. 1 question. I'm I seen as a poster that makes trouble.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:17 pm

Pirloisjesus wrote:

We feel this is an accurate representation of your current position within, and contribution to, the forums as a whole.

Unique wrote:

Going to assume you mean "Am I seen as..." and to that, the answer is "no."
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:59 pm

RedOranje wrote:
Pirloisjesus wrote:

We feel this is an accurate representation of your current position within, and contribution to, the forums as a whole.

Unique wrote:

Going to assume you mean "Am I seen as..." and to that, the answer is "no."
Thumbs up Thumbs up
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:28 pm

You just need to start using the report button more instead of getting into arguments.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:34 pm

RealGunner wrote:You just need to start using the report button more instead of getting into arguments.
tbh mate I don't like to report people. but I will do my best to not get into arguments. Thumbs up
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:31 pm

RealGunner wrote:Nah, I prefer salad to be in the main box. It's a hassle to eat it separately. I think the combined taste of sauces and salad and Kebab creates a fantastic overall flavour.
RG is a true connoisseur of kebabs :bow:
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:24 pm

Meh. Kebab is for newbies. Pros have long since moved on to Köfte.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:24 pm

which is a form of kebab hmm
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:28 pm

Kofte can be veg and non veg. Kebabs are only non veg. I am Indian and I confirm this :coffee:

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:29 pm

I just prefer kebab. I'm a carnivorous plant Too many perma banned users - Page 3 Hungrysmiley
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:30 pm

RealGunner wrote:which is a form of kebab hmm

Newbie talk if I ever heard some.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:49 pm

Unique wrote:
CBarca wrote:Unique, would you say it's possible that your warning level is in any way related to your temperament as a poster?

I personally can't even fathom how people get banned here. It's so lenient lmao
if you look at my post here you would see what I'm talking about. the first 25% was because chad was on a rant about god knows. and I posted lots of these rofl rofl rofl the 2nd 25% was for replying to a post that I read 3 pages from the end without reading the last page where the mods said anyone replying to the post will lose 25%. tbh I don't think that was fair. when I leave a thread at what ever page I pick up the same thread on the last page I read. then I just reply to each post as I move along. by the time I got to the last page I saw the warning and lost 25%. I inboxed one of the mods telling them it was a mistake but it was tough shit. surly they must have known I wouldent have made the post if I knew I would get 25% off my tab. tbh mate if I thought I had done something to get a warning I will hold my hands up. but honest to god I have never made a single post where I thought I'm gonna get busted for that.

You're relatively new and you started out pretty forcefully, getting into arguments with a tendency to not stop.
Not saying that's not ok but then it's not surprising you'd need time to get a feel for the tone of the forum and what's acceptable, just as the forum needs to find out what you're about. That process might bring some friction with it.

I came here not too long ago too, from a forum where pretty much anything goes and even though there I surely was among the most civilized posters, I did get a couple of warnings here at first, for 'trolling'.
'Trolling' for me is the most contentious area where much is down to interpretation and male/benevolence of the mods, but the thing I learned is that it's much less accepted to make snarky comments in other club's section than in the general section, which I wasn't used to but which makes sense.

So apart from the general rules that are clear, get a sense of the forum's tone and you'll get less warnings, just as the forum gets to know you.
Especially since by know you might have realized almost all posters here are genuinely nice and there's no need for vitriol, the few who might tend to provoke or warrant vitriol are at the same time monomanic (Messi, Benzema, Rodgers etc) so it's ultimately possible to dismiss/ignore it when push comes to shove, since it's always the same and thery'e more or less lovable village idiots in that regard.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:25 pm

rwo power wrote:
El Gunner wrote:I once created the "I dislike Mesut Ozil as a footballer" thread, now that's my own thread discussing Ozil's style of football and voicing my opinion, and I'd like to have that controversial title stay as it is. But a month or so later there was another thread opened about Ozil and then RWO decided to merge that one with mine, and it got re-titled to "The Mesut Ozil thread" or something like that. It's something small and I didn't make a big deal out of it, but I would just like to have my things stay the way that I created them. It's wasn't offensive or breaking the rules in anyway.
So you would prefer to have a dozen threads about basically the same subject that maybe have 5 or 6 or maybe a dozen posts and then get forgotten somewhere in the depths of the GenSec?

If the topics are merged you get one thread that stays accessible and actually gets more people to discuss the topic, which is the player and his style, and not some personal dislike which actually can't really be discussed as taste is not negotiable anyway.

After all, specific topics usually get turned into general discussions if the need is there, and then the original topic isn't appropriate anymore.

Or it is that you just are annoyed that you lost a point in the statistic that lists the number of threads that you opened?

I remember that instance, and I have to say I understand El Gunner's problem with what happened.
He made that thread with its title to make a statement and it provoked response.
El Gunner got heat for it, he defended it and maybe now he even doesn't feel 100% the same (maybe he dislikes Özil less now), but he would have liked to let that statement stand there as the thread title. I agree.
Don't think it's within the mods discretion whether an expression of 'personal dislike' is valuable enough to consitute a thread name.

At the same time what RWO does is invaluable, as off-topic meandering and multiple threads ultimately make the forum messy, confusing and unsearchable*/unaccountable.
Again, I come from a forum where threads would meander anywhere so that lengthy discussions about something else would happen in threads with a completely different topic.
While this too has a certain beauty to it, I do appreciate the tidy form on here.

So what RWO and the mods do in streamlining and cleaning up threads is integral, but there are instances where it might become overreaching. That's just natural.
So the "I dislike Özil" thing for me would be such an instance - and I would say the thing to do in such an instance is to simply pm the mod, ask about the thing and explain your position. Just communicate.

I think that's the most important thing to remember, we're all more or less grown up posters in a community, some of who take on extra work/responsibility as mods or admins.

This is not a citizen vs police/those up there vs us down here situation.
I get that sometimes it's fun to play a "I fought the law and the law won" role, the way RO is posting this is particularly tempting, but ultimately we're just people trying to exchange opinions and trying to get along doing so.

*edit: have to correct myself there. Even with tidy threads, this forum IS unsearchable. A functioning search would be my priority demand tbh. I used the google detour but this has stopped being useful as google also returns the site's 'last post' columns etc as hits and it's impossible to find anything anymore. Site-internal search doesn't provide ANYTHING, google searching the site is a needle in a haystack situation.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next