Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

US Presidential Race - Page 12 Empty Re: US Presidential Race

Post by sportsczy Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:09 am

RealGunner wrote:Didn't take him long

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/552955167533174785

Yes... because people would clearly have been able to protect themselves better by carrying firearms to a club and a soccer game. Idiot.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:10 am

Rebaño Sagrado wrote:Thats from January mate

Not going to trust Stephen Fry again
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:44 am

lmao don't worry RG. I myself was raging a few minutes ago when that tweet popped up on my TL
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by El Messico Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:00 am

Swanhends wrote:
El Messico wrote:When you were talking about continual misdirection, I didn't realize you were talking about me. lol

Actually when I started I wasn't, I was just talking generally. But then when you started replying to my posts about underlying causes with more talk of protester behavior I took that as an indication that you were adopting/using the same tactics as the people that I was originally referring to, so at that point I started lumping you in with my original targets

I have questions about this though:

Messico wrote:About the behaviour of students though, being a novel topic, there is still not agreement over whether the tactics they adopt or their actions are justified or not

First, what do you mean by novel topic? Second, isn't whether the ends justify the means usually a subjective question? (In which case consensus agreement will never be reached?)

Messico wrote:And btw, yes I do consider screaming at someone, telling them to shut up, calling them disgusting and hoping they never sleep at night as worse than blocking traffic. Especially when this person has not done anything wrong and is your professor

This is just interesting to me because I never would've expected someone so wary of pc-overreach to place so much emphasis on a person being told to shut up or being told that they're disgusting. In my experience people who fit that description have usually leaned on arguments like "they're just words", "speech can't hurt anyone unless they let it", "why are they so sensitive" etc. Obviously we're talking within the realm of personal preference now so there isn't really anything to argue, I was just surprised to hear that position from you

It depends on the context and varies from situation to situation. I don't really believe in the thought-process of "they're just words" though. Words can definitely cause harm. Otherwise calling black people the n-word becomes defensible, which it most certainly is not. But I do think that some people take offence to many ideas or words that most people really don't find inappropriate. In this case though, what the girl was saying would be condemned universally. So I don't think the situations are comparable.

And again, there is a complete difference in how we view these words. You are looking (or are atleast paraphrasing others who look) at it from the victims' point of view - being called disgusting does not actually affect your standard of living too much, so yeah I can see how you would not find it that bad of a thing.

But I'm looking at it from the perpetrators' point of view. The perpretrator here knows that her words are intended to hurt and she did it anyway. Whereas in other situations of complaints about PC-overreach it could be that the perpetrator is simply expressing ideas or beliefs that they don't think are offensive, i.e they are not intending to hurt. There you can chalk it up to ignorance (which in my mind is a lot better than causing intentional hurt) or it could be that the victim was indeed being too sensitive. After all, realistically speaking, whether something is appropriate or not is deemed by what the prevalent general population attitude towards it is, rather than an objective right or wrong. Some words are clearly indefensible, some words are defensible. So it depends on context.

About student activism being novel - it's only really been (sporadically) in opinion articles for about the past 6-12 months or so. And yes, whether the ends justify the means is pretty subjective, which is why discussing it and hearing other opinions is more interesting than discussing acts of racism. It's like discussing whether Neymar is the 2nd best in the world vs who is better between Messi and Ronaldo.

El Messico
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:03 pm

rwo power wrote:@Betty

Did you read the comment section of the link you posted? It appeared to me that there are way more people around that are totally out of touch with reality than only certain big wigs in government o_O

I don't read comment sections of those type of sites. Its usually filled with old people whose views of the world are as antiquated and meaningless as the position they now hold in it.

El Messico wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:Watching the republican debate and its so weird to see how strange this all is. Especially Trump still carrying on about kicking millions out.

Now watching them wax lyrical about taxes.

Lets get real 51 Percent Of All American Workers Make Less Than 30,000 Dollars A Year
http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/goodbye-middle-class-51-percent-of-all-american-workers-make-less-than-30000-dollars-a-year

going even further:
-38 percent of all American workers made less than $20,000 last year.

-51 percent of all American workers made less than $30,000 last year.

-62 percent of all American workers made less than $40,000 last year.

-71 percent of all American workers made less than $50,000 last year.

I pay almost more in taxes by myself than over half of American workforce make all year. They aren't paying taxes. Yet they can waste debate time on a non issue for the vast majority of this country. Like we don't have actual issues in this country.

Just shockingly out of touch for people who are suppose to speak for the "average joe".

TIL a new grad can make double that of what 71% of Americans make.

You can also win the lottery and never have to work a day in your life...doesnt make it likely. Very very few new grads are making 100k, or even 50k, from the average American school. Those who are are statistical anomalies more than likely living in areas where COL takes up any difference.

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:34 pm

Betty La Fea wrote:

Did you read the comment section of the link you posted? It appeared to me that there are way more people around that are totally out of touch with reality than only certain big wigs in government o_O

I don't read comment sections of those type of sites. Its usually filled with old people whose views of the world are as antiquated and meaningless as the position they now hold in it.

El Messico wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:Watching the republican debate and its so weird to see how strange this all is. Especially Trump still carrying on about kicking millions out.

Now watching them wax lyrical about taxes.

Lets get real 51 Percent Of All American Workers Make Less Than 30,000 Dollars A Year
http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/goodbye-middle-class-51-percent-of-all-american-workers-make-less-than-30000-dollars-a-year

going even further:
-38 percent of all American workers made less than $20,000 last year.

-51 percent of all American workers made less than $30,000 last year.

-62 percent of all American workers made less than $40,000 last year.

-71 percent of all American workers made less than $50,000 last year.

I pay almost more in taxes by myself than over half of American workforce make all year. They aren't paying taxes. Yet they can waste debate time on a non issue for the vast majority of this country. Like we don't have actual issues in this country.

Just shockingly out of touch for people who are suppose to speak for the "average joe".

You can also win the lottery and never have to work a day in your life...doesnt make it likely. Very very few new grads are making 100k, or even 50k, from the average American school. Those who are are statistical anomalies more than likely living in areas where COL takes up any difference.

I'm seeing this attitude towards old people a little too much from hip liberals.
I think you need to decide whether you really care about the vulnerable, or if it's just if they agree with you!
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Messico Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Betty La Fea wrote:

hmm. I was talking about me, and my colleagues. Quite a few of them. We do work more hours though. Mine is in CAD but the cost of living is also lower.

A lot of my friends also went to investment banking and finance and earn over 100K in Canada. A huge number of my friends went to Silicon Valley and work for Twitter, Google etc. and are still managing to save money through house-sharing etc. Though it's true that I have heard 100K is poverty salary in SF.

Honestly don't know in terms of percentages but from my experiences it's not rare/statistical anomaly.

El Messico
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:04 pm

DuringTheWar wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:

El Messico wrote:

I'm seeing this attitude towards old people a little too much from hip liberals.
I think you need to decide whether you really care about the vulnerable, or if it's just if they agree with you!

I don't know how the old people are in your country, but in America they deserve what is coming to them. Boomers are the first generation, in American history, who will leave this country worse off than they got it.

They entered America that was prosperous and completely at the top of the world as they entered the cold war against the Soviet Union. Manufacturing jobs were plentiful for those who did not go to college, and those who did were able to afford to pay for it out of pocket from a part time or summer job. What did they do with it?

This:
US Presidential Race - Page 12 349px-ElectoralCollege1984.svg

They completely bought into trickle down economics.They, with a smile, voted in constantly politicians who supported corporations that sent the American Middle class jobs overseas. Now look around. 71% of All American workers make less than 50k a year. Do you know how that looks after taxes? That is less than 3k a month. They got rid of pensions pretty much all together, and wages have stagnated as productivity has grown exponentially over the years.

They've allowed school tuition rates to rocket out of control to the point where a large portion will be paying such bills for the rest of their lives without some form of debt forgiveness, and then sat back and allowed their elected leaders to stop any such change of the loan being forgiven in bankruptcy.

The best thing the boomer generation can now do is to go quietly in the night. Even as they go they will take all of the social security with them as one last "Screw you, got mine" to the young people who come behind them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:09 pm

El Messico wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:

hmm. I was talking about me, and my colleagues. Quite a few of them. We do work more hours though. Mine is in CAD but the cost of living is also lower.

A lot of my friends also went to investment banking and finance and earn over 100K in Canada. A huge number of my friends went to Silicon Valley and work for Twitter, Google etc. and are still managing to save money through house-sharing etc. Though it's true that I have heard 100K is poverty salary in SF.

Honestly don't know in terms of percentages but from my experiences it's not rare/statistical anomaly.

You name dropped some of the current biggest companies and you don't think its rare? Laughing

The Average American college student, getting drunk at Middle of nowhere Christian College in Iowa,Texas,Mississippi isn't being tapped up at investment firms in the northeast, nor are they being tapped up by SE/Tech firms in the Valley. These are rare cases who exist in rare vacuums that are closed off to the average person in this country.

These kids are getting jobs in white collar Middle America ~40k in most cases at best, and getting stuck in the Retail/Unemployment game at worse since the Middle class has been screwed over by old people.

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:20 am

El messico is living on cloud 9 Laughing 100k? Yeah right, most college grads don't make even half that
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:07 pm

FennecFox7 wrote:El messico is living on cloud 9 Laughing 100k? Yeah right, most college grads don't make even half that

I don't think he is on cloud 9 as much as thats how well off people view the world.

They and their friends go to the best schools in this nation, get recruited by the best companies, making twice, or sometimes 3x the national average as relatively young workers, and then think it is representative of the nation at large. Its not a slight at them, but it is just how different the world is for them than it is for everybody else. That is how these politicians also view the world. What does taxes matter to a family of four making a combined >50k per year? They don't pay hardly anything, and that is the majority of middle America. These guys literally got on stage and argued a point that would only affect multinational corporations, and their few buddies who also are the select few making enough money(while not having dependents to offset it) to where taxes even become a tangible issue.

I volunteered at a Boys Club down here and its absolutely shocking how the Average middle class kid lives now. Single parent households of mothers bringing in less than 2k a month working all the time what future can these kids have?

Back to top Go down

Post by El Messico Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:36 am

FennecFox7 wrote:El messico is living on cloud 9 Laughing 100k? Yeah right, most college grads don't make even half that

Not on cloud 9, but I was surprised to see so many of the people in my circle make double that of 71% of Americans as new graduates. I'll accept that I'm surrounded by these kinds of people though (and will be in the future too), so it's hard for me to get a good grasp of what others are like unless I look up the distribution of wages.

El Messico
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

El Messico wrote:

I'll accept that I'm surrounded by these kinds of people though (and will be in the future too).

That's the thing. You have no idea how most of the USA is living. The poverty and reality is absolutely shocking. And most of these people work very hard just to make ends meet. Without food stamps and governmental support they would break even financially every month and never have any room for moving up the income ladder
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:50 pm

FennecFox7 wrote:
El Messico wrote:

I'll accept that I'm surrounded by these kinds of people though (and will be in the future too).

That's the thing. You have no idea how most of the USA is living. The poverty and reality is absolutely shocking. And most of these people work very hard just to make ends meet. Without food stamps and governmental support they would break even financially every month and never have any room for moving up the income ladder

The biggest issue is just that there are no jobs for the vast majority of kids coming out these days.

I went to school with a dude who works at STARBUCKS now, and he graduated from Law school and passed the bar. He isn't alone either from the what they say on the news. He also didnt go to some scrub law school either, but the best Law School in the State of Georgia(Emory). In the west the Law use to be a respectable profession, now those guys are making 40k coming if they get a law job at all, and then Law Schools use bimodal distribution to trick the average kid coming out that they have a chance at 100k jobs. When in reality you either get the 160k job, or you get the 40k job if you work in law at all.

And then Obama can try to wax lyrical and scream murder against the states not wanting refugees. I'm sorry, but what exactly can someone who can't even speak the language come over here and REALLY do? They will just be on the system. I support helping the refugees, but there isn't anything over here for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:11 am

Historians Politely Remind Nation To Check What's Happened In Past Before Making Any Big Decisions

http://www.theonion.com/article/historians-politely-remind-nation-to-check-whats-h-26183

RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:54 pm

Carson on refugees: “If there’s a rabid dog running around in your neighborhood, you’re probably not going to assume something good"

Can someone translate that pls
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Carson is out of his mind, he'll say anything to pander to wing nut extremists.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:08 am

RealGunner wrote:Carson on refugees: “If there’s a rabid dog running around in your neighborhood, you’re probably not going to assume something good"

Can someone translate that pls

Without the exact context its difficult to say with certainty.

Assuming that it's in reference to the Syrian refugee debate, however, I would guess that he's using the rabid dog as an metaphor for "MUSLIM EXTREMISTS/TERRORISTS" (caps necessary for emphasis, and broad by intention), while the neighborhood is either the US or the world. The general refugees would then be other animals/dogs in the area. He's suggesting that if there's a rabid animal (MUSLIM TERRORISTS) around then you can't/shouldn't trust any other animal either for fear it could be rabid... even if said animal is exhibiting no symptoms whatsoever and is clearly in need of immediate help or attention to save it's life; and ignoring the fact that leaving such animals outside in such conditions actually make it MORE likely that the rabies will be spread.

Ignoring the rather disrespectful (but in all likelihood unintentional) aspect of comparing the value of the refugees' lives to those of animals, it's an inherently flawed metaphor suggesting that it's not worth it to help any for fear of the potentially dangerous extreme minority.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Motion to get rid of breaking news in the title?

Aye
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:13 pm

Aye
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:34 pm

Aye
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Aye think 4 ayes should suffayes.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:09 pm

US Presidential Race - Page 12 CUcTLReXAAA2mQv

Trump's race to the bottom continues. This is simply an inaccurate statistic.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:17 pm

Betty La Fea wrote:US Presidential Race - Page 12 CUcTLReXAAA2mQv

Waht are the accurate one ?
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:46 pm

LeBéninois wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:US Presidential Race - Page 12 CUcTLReXAAA2mQv

Waht are the accurate one ?

All of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next