Lex
izzy
Twoism
Jay29
15 posters

Go down

Galatasaray 1 - 4 Arsenal Empty Galatasaray 1 - 4 Arsenal

Post by Jay29 Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:01 pm

"We didn't win 6-0, so this win is worthless, the players should be ashamed and the manager should go."

And yes, I have seen that peddled around the Twittersphere this evening.

Games don't come much easier than that. Within 30 minutes a much changed Arsenal team had the game wrapped up thanks to three high quality goals from Podolski and Ramsey (x2). Ramsey's second was quite possibly the best goal I've seen from an Arsenal player since Bergkamp's against Newcastle or Henry's against United. The balance, technique, timing... everything about it was just amazing, and the shock on the faces of Sanogo and Szczesny summed it up perfectly.

We were so comfortable at that point that we brought on Ainsley Maitland-Niles and Zelalem on for Flamini (on a yellow card) and Ramsey (slightly tight hamstirng) at half-time. Both youngsters showed some nice touches, though didn't the get the freedom to really express themselves as Galatasaray had the majority of the ball in that half and we had to get through a decent amount of defending. The majority of their shots came from distance, but there were some clearances and last ditch challenges to be made and I thought we did those well. Sneijder's free-kick was unsavable, so no issue there.

Not much else to say. Debuchy was excellent on his return, while I thought Campbell and Sanogo had disappointing games, all things considered. Ramsey played with the sort of quality we know he's capable of, and Chamberlain had a brilliant game in central midfield. Whether the players can take this sort of performance into a bigger and more important game against Newcastle on Saturday remains to be seen, but at least tonight has given us a welcome reprieve from the usual dross.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Galatasaray 1 - 4 Arsenal Empty Re: Galatasaray 1 - 4 Arsenal

Post by Twoism Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:45 pm

That 3-3 game against Aderlect is god damn costly now, all things considered I think we deserve to be on top of the group. Encouraging performance, credit to the team but the biggest positive is Debuchy return, a proper back four against Newcastle is needed.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:52 pm

Really Jay?

What about Pires at Villa?
Or Bergkamp at Leicester?
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:41 pm

It's up there, Izzy

Put it this way, if Crono or Messi scored that goal, the internet would break
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:07 pm

Lex wrote:It's up there, Izzy

True.

For me, that Bergkamp goal at Newcastle is the best goal I've ever seen.

Broke my ankle twice trying to pull that off. Laughing
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:40 pm

Great game. Specially for fringe players. Some confidence booster too I guess. Nothing much to say really.

Joel was quite poor. but that's down to his lack of playing. He needs consistent football. Maybe it was better if he was loaned out or sold tbh. One game per 3 months won't improve him.

Podolski's goals were great. Hopefully adds some value to his name.

Ramsey's goal was one of the best in our history. Easily. That technique was insane. He looks to be coming back to his own now.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:44 pm

izzy wrote:
Lex wrote:It's up there, Izzy

True.

For me, that Bergkamp goal at Newcastle is the best goal I've ever seen.

Broke my ankle twice trying to pull that off. Laughing

Dabizaz broke his ankle receiving it tbh.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:49 pm

Galatasaray 1 - 4 Arsenal Tumblr_ngc25g1pP71u2k4ito1_500
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:07 pm

That was nice. Galatasaray were awful but I thought our guys looked really nice out there regardless. I loved seeing how many interceptions we got - it looked like everyone was concentrating better, working together as a unit so much more than we have seen against Stoke or in many other matches this season.

Stray thoughts on some individual players -

Ramsey - two goals, an assist, a crucial tackle, all in one half. Welsh Jesus is coming back.

Ox - looked really good. I just wish his finishing and/or final pass would improve ... he needs to work on his timing and composure, and I can only hope that match time will be just what he needs for this.

Zelalem - I have such high hopes for this guy for a bunch of reasons, and he looks so good. His tackle on Sneijder was great to watch. He's a fine passer. Doesn't look like the most mobile player in the world. But maybe a PL loan next season is the next step?

Maitland-Niles - I was impressed. Showed some quick feet, quick reactions a few times in a way that made me nod my head.

Campbell - we all know he is capable of playing better than this, and he probably was trying too hard, so best not to judge too harshly. It wasn't a bad game, but far from a great one. I did think his first two corners were good. Considering that every Arsenal player becomes horrible at corners eventually, though ...

Podolski - two solid goals and an honest shift. One of the best matches he's had for Arsenal in a while.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:43 pm

What a game, really joy to watch, Galatasaray gave so much space we could have score few more goals. Debuchy had a great game and what goal by Ramsey.

I hope Podolski is not wasted to the bench, really deserves better. After every game he plays 90m, Wenger says he came back late after world cup and he is getting back his fitness. rofl

I know Ramsey had an awesome goal but Podolski goal was top goal.

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:00 am

Good work Jay.

Fantastic performance, particularly in the first half, and a great result. The first 45 were magnificent. Our two best displays of the season came against Galatasaray, which shows the current state they are in I guess. But we can focus on ourselves and try to get back that momentum that we lost against Stoke.

4 wins, 10 goals and 4 clean-sheets in the last 5 games is a very good run. We really need to beat Newcastle on Saturday now, beforea trip to London and a Boxing Day derby v QPR.

I really hope this means Ramsey is back to his 2013/14 best. 2 goals in 3 games, all very good too. He is a fabulous player when he is on form.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:10 pm

Only Real Madrid (16) scored more goals than Arsenal (15) in the Champions League group stages.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:06 pm

Well that was lovely.

Galatasaray being utter crap helped, but we must praise ourselves. Ramsey and Ox controlled the midfield in the first half and it was their threat which got us the first 3 goals so easily.
Ramsey's goal Proud
ffs, such a shame it had to come in this pointless game. Imagine if it was against Citeh, Chelsea or United in the league or in a final.

As I said, Gala were really poor, and they never looked like scoring even though they did. Felipe Melo Laughing we were once linked with that guy. Sad to see him for the fat pub player that he is now. He's not even thuggish no more, just sluggish.

Great to have Debuchy back. I think his return will be of great importance to a stable back four and conceding less.

Here's hoping we don't get Bayern, Madrid or Barca in the last 16.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:What a game, really joy to watch, Galatasaray gave so much space we could have score few more goals. Debuchy had a great game and what goal by Ramsey.

I hope Podolski is not wasted to the bench, really deserves better. After every game he plays 90m, Wenger says he came back late and he is getting back to fattiness. rofl

I know Ramsey had an awesome goal but Podolski goal was top goal.

Then Ramsey goes to the media and talks about how he was not in shape and had a nagging injury until recently.
I guess just another Wengerism.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:36 pm

Wenger says this after every good game Podolski has.

Wenger" He came back later from the World Cup but he is now coming back to a very strong level. wrote:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:40 pm

That Ramsey goal is greater than/equal to Wilshere vs Norwich. In the category of best Arsenal goals in the PL era imo. Dunno how he did it. Left footed half volley, how do???

Galatasaray are fairly shite but so are Stoke so it's good to see a concentrated team effort with great shifts from fringe players.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by 1991 Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:07 pm

Gala are scum and it was nice to batter them twice, meaningless game though. Reminds me of the days when Wenger's much hyped youngsters would trounce some chump team in the league cup
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:41 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:Only Real Madrid (16) scored more goals than Arsenal (15) in the Champions League group stages.

Chelsea have 17, Bayern, Porto and Real have 16, Arsenal, Barca and Donezk 15. Smile
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:29 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:Only Real Madrid (16) scored more goals than Arsenal (15) in the Champions League group stages.

Chelsea have 17, Bayern, Porto and Real have 16, Arsenal, Barca and Donezk 15. Smile

Wenger out. Laughing

How did we not score more goals? Wink
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down