Great Leader Sprucenuce
19 posters

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

NBA 2K - Page 7 Empty Re: NBA 2K

Post by Guest Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:56 pm

Freeza wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:
Freeza wrote:It isn't voice acting though. It's motion capture acting. They even made a point to show it. I still think it's weird else. But I guess she's mixed.

If she's mixed Spike Lee gets 2 cool points. Especially in a country where speed racer and Goku were turned white by hollywood Mad

I don't have a problem with Speed Racer being adapted so it fits white actors. Same with Death Note coming up. The weird thing with Dragonball is they basically only cast white men in the lead roles. That seems weird.

Speed Racer was stylishly done, but I did have a problem considering you never see Asian Americans get those type of roles. Go Mifune was a stylish guy, with a stylish girlfriend, who was the envy of all the guys around, and a very successful high testosterone race car driver(and even engineer when you think about it). I would have gave my left nut to have an Asian-American guy to look up to as a kid in that type of role, and I feel my younger cousins missed out on seeing that type of role when that film was made in 2008.

My sister was/is a fan of death note, but I never saw it as I was 17 and just about older than its intended market when the Anime came out. I think its a clear case of whitewashing with that too though from what I have heard of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Like *bleep* am i watching that shit Laughing

Breaks my heart seeing Eriko in that photo Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:00 pm

I'm not sure where to start with what's wrong with that pic tbh Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:06 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I'm not sure where to start with what's wrong with that pic tbh Laughing

I am curious to who the middle aged guy behind "goku" is supposed to be Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:07 pm

Betty La Fea wrote:
Freeza wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:

If she's mixed Spike Lee gets 2 cool points. Especially in a country where speed racer and Goku were turned white by hollywood Mad

I don't have a problem with Speed Racer being adapted so it fits white actors. Same with Death Note coming up. The weird thing with Dragonball is they basically only cast white men in the lead roles. That seems weird.

Speed Racer was stylishly done, but I did have a problem considering you never see Asian Americans get those type of roles. Go Mifune was a stylish guy, with a stylish girlfriend, who was the envy of all the guys around, and a very successful high testosterone race car driver(and even engineer when you think about it). I would have gave my left nut to have an Asian-American guy to look up to as a kid in that type of role, and I feel my younger cousins missed out on seeing that type of role when that film was made in 2008.

My sister was/is a fan of death note, but I never saw it as I was 17 and just about older than its intended market when the Anime came out. I think its a clear case of whitewashing with that too though from what I have heard of it.

It's not. They're setting it in American and the characters aren't even all Asian in the original. It's the art of adapting previous material. This happens so much with Scandinavian stories who are adapted to American films or TV. It's just trying to adapt a story to the market they're selling it to. Fictional stories and fictional characters can always be adapted imo.

Whitewashing would be to make a film about Chairman Mao or something and make Michael Cera play him.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:10 pm

Betty La Fea wrote:
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I'm not sure where to start with what's wrong with that pic tbh Laughing

I am curious to who the middle aged guy behind "goku" is supposed to be Laughing

I "think" it's supposed to be Master Roshi but who the *bleep* knows really Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:12 pm

Are we seriously talking about Yun-Fat Chow that way?
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:24 pm

Freeza wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:
Freeza wrote:

It's not. They're setting it in American and the characters aren't even all Asian in the original. It's the art of adapting previous material. This happens so much with Scandinavian stories who are adapted to American films or TV. It's just trying to adapt a story to the market they're selling it to. Fictional stories and fictional characters can always be adapted imo.

Whitewashing would be to make a film about Chairman Mao or something and make Michael Cera play him.

There are plenty of Asians in America though, and have been for centuries. I wouldnt have an issue if it was made in the Central African Republic with all black actors because there is no Asian history in those countries, but when you have groups which have been a part of a nation for centuries, and numbers in the millions it becomes very iffy.

They even do it with Asian American stories such as 21(Bringing down the house) where a book about a bunch of Asian American MIT math kids taking up blackjack to help pay for medical school was strangely cast with a White lead as soon as it became a movie. But I get thats just how it is. Nobody in America really wants to see Asian Americans in dynamic roles that doesn't involve martial arts, and that is a mentality we will have to work to move the nation past.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:26 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:

I "think" it's supposed to be Master Roshi but who the *bleep* knows really Laughing

Fantastic casting once again. Martial artist not in the lead role? Lets cast an Asian Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:29 pm

Freeza wrote:Are we seriously talking about Yun-Fat Chow that way?

God damn he's aged horribly if thats him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:35 pm

I agree that there is a problem with an underrepresented demographic in America. Asian Americans are 5% of the populace, but that isn't reflected in movies and roles.

Making a movie for 5% of the country is also not a valid marketing option. I wouldn't call adapting a story to fit something whitewashing. Just like I wouldn't call Lion King lionwashing of Hamlet. The Maginificent Seven is a retelling of Asian material, same is The Departed. That's not whitewashing. They're really just trying to adapt a concept into a movie that will make money, hopefully some of the roles will feature asian Americans. But whitewashing wasn't the problem with Dragonball imo, everything else was a much bigger problem.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:36 pm

Betty La Fea wrote:
Freeza wrote:Are we seriously talking about Yun-Fat Chow that way?

God damn he's aged horribly if thats him.

He's 60 Laughing

NBA 2K - Page 7 Chow-Yun-Fat
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:57 pm

Freeza wrote:I agree that there is a problem with an underrepresented demographic in America. Asian Americans are 5% of the populace, but that isn't reflected in movies and roles.

Making a movie for 5% of the country is also not a valid marketing option. I wouldn't call adapting a story to fit something whitewashing. Just like I wouldn't call Lion King lionwashing of Hamlet. The Maginificent Seven is a retelling of Asian material, same is The Departed. That's not whitewashing. They're really just trying to adapt a concept into a movie that will make money, hopefully some of the roles will feature asian Americans. But whitewashing wasn't the problem with Dragonball imo, everything else was a much bigger problem.

Why would casting an Asian American automatically mean it is marketed towards 5% of the population? Are you saying the rest of America would not watch a film with Asian leads? That is a big problem if that is true.

There are tons of Asians in every major American city where the filming of these films take place/are funded(Hollywood/NYC). I think there are plenty of people who would love to see them, and the popularity of the likes of Gangnam style in America now proves that. There is obviously people at the top who doesn't want to challenge that status quo though, and want to keep Asians in marginalized roles.

This is an Asian American actor, who was told to his face, that "No Asians allowed" in terms of the main character(Light Yagami?) for the new death note film.

That is shameful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:03 pm

So no comment on my examples of adapted stories? There has already been a freaking Asian movie about Death Note. It's not racist buying it and adapting it to another location.

Also that guy "told through the grapevine" just another way to say, you're really not talented. Nat Wolff is an amazing actor and can do this justice. It's not whitewashing adapting material from other countries.

Do you see me whining about Idirs Elba in Thor? No, because he's talented, and it's an adaptation of the source.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:20 pm

Freeza wrote:So no comment on my examples of adapted stories? There has already been a freaking Asian movie about Death Note. It's not racist buying it and adapting it to another location.

Also that guy "told through the grapevine" just another way to say, you're really not talented. Nat Wolff is an amazing actor and can do this justice. It's not whitewashing adapting material from other countries.

Do you see me whining about Idirs Elba in Thor? No, because he's talented, and it's an adaptation of the source.

Your examples are coming from, IMO, a position of privilege. Comparing Asians to Lions in a cartoon disney film borders on absurdity friend, or simply choosing an adaptation when people who look like the originally intended characters exist as natives in the adapted country is simply ignoring a big problem.

You don't complain about Idris Elba in that one role because there are a million roles you can watch, at any given moment, in TV or film of people that look just like you in many different ways. I have lived in this country nearly 30 years and I can count on one hand the number of roles of Asian American males that were not complete buffoons of sidekicks or sexless nerds that I have seen in Western media in my life. My dude, there is a KPOP(Korean Pop music) show on Nickelodeon(a kids station in America) that does not have a SINGLE Asian Male on the show. That is insanity. Laughing

This doesn't bother me, I am use to experiencing racism, and my father taught me that is just the way life goes if you look the way we do, but what about a kid that does not have strong influences in their life? What, mentally, happens to a kid who grows up not seeing people who look like them in media? Kids who grow up accepting begin stereotyped sidekicks? Or sex objects for men that don't look like them? You see people who grow to not only hate themselves, but people who look like them. This causes big problems over here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:06 pm

Just finished it. Vic got what was coming to him, but the ending was pretty meh.

Spike is better than what he showed here.

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:37 pm

Thought he did well with it. Some characters were unnecessary or just annoying (lmao at the GM, and Yvette was just unbearable), and it was chliche af but I enjoyed it. Touched on some great themes and I think Vic is a great case of a person suffering from mental illness who is incredibly misunderstood and it's a type of depression/mental illness that is very hard to catch. In many people's cases, it is. Though most people will think he was an ass, which he was, tbf.

Thought that the ending was one of the strong points hmm Vic's monologue at the end was great, though the entire thing was rushed. I can't help but feel that Spike Lee wanted to do more with it but was constrained by 2k/it being a sports game. It already got a decent amount of criticism for...simply existing.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:42 pm

CBarca wrote:Thought he did well with it. Some characters were unnecessary or just annoying (lmao at the GM, and Yvette was just unbearable), and it was chliche af but I enjoyed it. Touched on some great themes and I think Vic is a great case of a person suffering from mental illness who is incredibly misunderstood and it's a type of depression/mental illness that is very hard to catch. In many people's cases, it is. Though most people will think he was an ass, which he was, tbf.

Thought that the ending was one of the strong points hmm Vic's monologue at the end was great, though the entire thing was rushed. I can't help but feel that Spike Lee wanted to do more with it but was constrained by 2k/it being a sports game. It already got a decent amount of criticism for...simply existing.

Vic's monologue was good, but the rushedness of it kind of cheapened it for me. I also wish I could have played more games rookie season.

I also do think time constraints was a big part of the issue. I would be happy for him to be given more time to create an action adventure/sports hybrid type of game which would allow him to build a fleshed out story. Spike is a fantastic story teller, but I think this wasn't at its best.

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:14 am

Then I think we come mostly to an agreement.

I have no doubts that Spike wanted to do more with it but in the end, it's 2k and it's a sports game. If there was a dedicated game for this kind of thing, it would have been a lot better. However, most people want to be able to get on with it and play their myplayer and not deal with a story.

I still applaud both Spike Lee and 2k for doing it though. I for one, thoroughly enjoyed it and it's so refreshing to see this kind of stuff when, up until a year ago, the only sports game I had ever played was FIFA.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:01 pm

Playing it again and while the AI is a lot better defensively there's one thing they are really shit at and it constantly happens.

They constantly try to cheat the pick and roll or go over it completely making backdoor cuts massively common. Also the amount of times Davis is in the post or me and vice versa and the Bird and Walton style pass over the shoulder to lay up and dunk happens is amazing.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:28 pm

The gameplay has so many flaws, on par with FIFA tbh yet people act like its head and shoulders above all other sports games. I disagree.

LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:31 pm

LeSwagg James wrote:The gameplay has so many flaws, on par with FIFA tbh yet people act like its head and shoulders above all other sports games. I disagree.

Can't agree with that tbh, it has flaws sure but nowhere near as many or FIFA or PES tbh Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:44 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
LeSwagg James wrote:The gameplay has so many flaws, on par with FIFA tbh yet people act like its head and shoulders above all other sports games. I disagree.

Can't agree with that tbh, it has flaws sure but nowhere near as many or FIFA or PES tbh Laughing

I'll argue it's major flaws are worse than what those games have.

1. Passing it over a players head and out bounds when they're running in front of you, when they're not THAT *bleep* far ahead.

2. Players move way too much. I swear I'll be thinking about passing it to a stationary player but as soon as I press 'X', they start running and end up fumbling the ball and  which leads to a turnover.

3. Too much of the ball hitting a part of the defenders body leading to a steal (whether it is on drives or as they turn when catching a pass etc.).

4. Cocking it back for a dunk when there is a player behind you, setting you up for a block.

Those are the biggest issues for me. Also, the fouls are worse than ever. Ghost fouls all over the *bleep* place. Once I was a defender closing out a 3 point shooter and he jumped into him and sent him to the line, but I didn't even press the block button. The CPU literally controlled my man and caused a foul.
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:48 pm

Not sure if describing the flaws of 2k or describing a Lakers game
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:52 pm

Not had a problem with the first one in this one although it was a massive issue in 2015 agreed.

Players moving too much is not really an issue i have encountered but regardless i'd rather have that than everyone standing around like robots in 2014 and before.

That usually is due to bad passing or recognition that you can't make the pass, if a player is in the passing lane then he's likely to steal it if there's too little of a gap to aim for.

As for the blocking for random animated dunks, you can't really complain when they have basically a different button for various different dunks. Laughing It's quite easy to do a dunk which isn't likely to be blocked.

Agreed on the fouls, however the CPU controlling your man is due to the settings it can be turned off.

But even IF i had an issue with all these things, it wouldn't come close to the issues i have with football games personally.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Players moving too much is not really an issue i have encountered but regardless i'd rather have that than everyone standing around like robots in 2014 and before.

That usually is due to bad passing or recognition that you can't make the pass, if a player is in the passing lane then he's likely to steal it if there's too little of a gap to aim for.

They should learn to catch a pass on the go then, they're all butterfingers ffs. I'm not talking about the passing, I mean a player will have the ball in his hands and a defender just steps into him causing the ball to drop leading to a steal. Happens WAY too much.

This might be the worst 2K of the past few years for me. Everything seems off this year, from the abomination of an intro video to the wacky menu.
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum: