BarrileteCosmico
Donuts
M99
DeletedUser#1
TheGeneral
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

is SAF Top 5 managers of all time?  Empty is SAF Top 5 managers of all time?

Post by TheGeneral Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:07 pm

so many ppl put SAF on top 3 or even the best manager... I highly disagree! especially after seeing that in his 27 yr career at United he only won 2 UCLs...

how do you rate him as All time manager list?
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

is SAF Top 5 managers of all time?  Empty Re: is SAF Top 5 managers of all time?

Post by DeletedUser#1 Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:21 pm

welcome back crimson Proud

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

is SAF Top 5 managers of all time?  Empty Re: is SAF Top 5 managers of all time?

Post by M99 Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:22 pm

Natalie Portman wrote:welcome back billionmillion Proud
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:46 pm

nope not even top 10, but great respect for the man for staying at a club for so long.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:16 pm

Thanks Donuts for your views

And for the rest, please stay on topic, i think this topic is very interesting.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:30 pm

M99 wrote:
Natalie Portman wrote:welcome back TMO Proud

Anyways yes and there's very little doubt. Sacchi, Herrera, Michels, & SAF all belong in that podium.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:00 pm

BC shame on you for excluding arguably the greatest manager of all time in Bob Paisley.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:08 pm

These threads are kinda pointless because no one here can judge the man management skills of every managers of all time. Can anyone even judge the man management ability of Mourinho for example, someone current and well known by everyone (which should make it easy to evaluate in theory)? I can't. He has lots of former players saying they would die for him. Yet he has also failed spectacularly in exactly this area at Madrid, starting fights with players like Casillas, Ronaldo etc., ultimately resulting in the worst point deficit record between 1st and 2nd in La Liga history. In a 2 horse race. Laughing

Meanwhile:

M99 wrote:
Natalie Portman wrote:welcome back Badamdar Proud

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:33 pm

He easily/obviously is :coffee:

Longevity in the same job probably helped him build his legacy and he might have failed had he tried to manage many different teams in different leagues, but based on what he did accomplish and what he gave to Man Utd, he is comfortably in the top 5.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:40 pm

only 2 UCLs though... Mou and Pep won the same amount in less than 4 yrs... and SAF had a 30++ year career ffs....
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ion Creanga Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:02 am

:facepalm: 
Ion Creanga
Ion Creanga
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:24 am

futbol wrote:These threads are kinda pointless because no one here can judge the man management skills of every managers of all time. Can anyone even judge the man management ability of Mourinho for example, someone current and well known by everyone (which should make it easy to evaluate in theory)? I can't. He has lots of former players saying they would die for him. Yet he has also failed spectacularly in exactly this area at Madrid, starting fights with players like Casillas, Ronaldo etc., ultimately resulting in the worst point deficit record between 1st and 2nd in La Liga history. In a 2 horse race. Laughing

Meanwhile:

M99 wrote:
Natalie Portman wrote:welcome back Badamdar Proud

F*ck me, I read this thread as "Is SAF top 5 MAN manager of all time" for some inexplicable reason.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:28 am

I don't think it's a debate whether or not he is one of the three greatest managers of all time, give or take how biased you are towards him.

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:36 am

I'd say yes. If not, he should be on everyones top 10 list.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:41 am

Been at a the same club for 27 years and thanks to him they became the most successful club in England and in the world.

2 CLs bu also losing 2 others to a great Barca side.

Defo a top 5 club manager.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:43 am

he is great but is he top 5 , that's the question here.... and if he is in top 5, where exactly does he rank ?
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:44 am

Bénin wrote:Been at a the same club for 27 years and thanks to him they became  the most successful club in England and in the world.

Defo  a top 5 club manager.

with the quality of players he had...

and no united was never best club in the world... bar the few months in 2008
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:06 am

Yes.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:12 am

TheGeneral wrote:
Bénin wrote:Been at a the same club for 27 years and thanks to him they became  the most successful club in England and in the world.

Defo  a top 5 club manager.

with the quality of players he had...

and no united was never best club in the world... bar the few months in 2008

I meant '' one of the most successful club in the world ''.

some managers may have been more creative than him but 27years at a club and basically being champion every 2 years put you in the top 5.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:50 am

the question should be how do you compare?
I personally look at the trophy case and combine that with the players at disposal..
SAF had so many legends and very top players in his disposal and only 2 champions leagues in 27 years looks really unsatisfying as someone said before Pep won that in his first 3 years of being a manager, VDB also gets a mention for both national team and club, and those coaches are just from past 4-5 years or so... so lets not even start with history of coaches.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by I Have Mono Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:34 am

As far as the premier league, the best ever.
For the champions league, top 20

Packing the box and sending in crosses with Man United may have allowed him to win games United shouldve tied, and tie games they shouldve lost when it came to the premier league titles against pub teams, but those amatuer tactics arn't as (hence it won him 2 champions league) successful in the champions league because the players are better and teams and better coached.

Moyes doesnt understand this and its why United are dropping points the used to pick up. When you have great crossers dumping in tons of crosses to great forwards against scrub defenses you will score. Change to the champions league and replace scrub defenders with great defenders the result will obviously be less successful.

I Have Mono
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ion Creanga Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:38 pm

if SAF is top 20 manager in UCL, where the fck should be Wenger ranked? 100-150?
Ion Creanga
Ion Creanga
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by I Have Mono Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:41 pm

Ion Creanga wrote:if SAF is top 20 manager in UCL, where the fck should be Wenger ranked? 100-150?

Thats a little harsh, top 100 at worst. Just getting out of the group stages and losing in the round of 16 does not make someone a top manager in the competition, you have too consider everything, how many champion league title has he won ? How many times has he qualified ? Etc etc...

Woohoo we qualified, get real.

As far as Sir Alex, 2 CL titles in 27 years is not THAT impressive, but at the same time it is still 2 CL titles which is a hell of a lot better then 99% of managers would do; not enough to make him top 5 though as far as the Champions league is concerned, i do think he is the best Premier league manager ever though.

I Have Mono
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:33 pm

In terms of club awards, he is easily number one. Is it even a contest?

- 16 domestic titles
- 14 domestic cups
- 6 continental cups
- 2 intercontinental cups

His title successes at Aberdeen are unmatched by any Scottish club not named Rangers/Celtic since the 1940s. He spent nine seasons at Aberdeen, and won ten trophies -- including a Cup Winners' Cup success over Real Madrid in 1983.

He's had incredible success with Manchester United. He brought them initially from a mid-table club to the pinnacle of English football in less than a decade. Some of his cheapest signings have been his best. He dumped arguably his most talented defender ever because of personal issues before he won his first league title. He's done the same with other stars as well.

He's managed through Arsenal's invincibles and the billionaires of Chelsea and Manchester City. He won 5/10 league titles since Abramovich invested in Chelsea, and he lost his last three league titles (2011-12, 2009-10, 2005-06) by a combined total of 9 points. It truly is astonishing stuff.

This entire "2 Champions League wins in 27 years" argument is just superficial at best. How many years did it take for him to actually have a team that could win the Champions League anyways? I think it took more than a decade for Man Utd to reach the knock-out stages of the tournament as well.

To be honest, the only teams under Ferguson that I thought could win the Champions League were his 1995-2001 and 2006-2011 teams. And despite his "failures" in the Champions League, he's one of six managers to win the Champions League twice. His success in the Champions League is only bettered by Bob Paisley, in terms of finals won and played in.

I think he is the greatest manager of all time. He is undoubtedly a top three great manager regardless of the bias you have. To say that he isn't even in the top 10 is just insane.

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:36 pm

I Have Mono wrote:For the champions league, top 20

- 2x winner
- 2x runners up
- 3x semi finalist
- 5x quarter finalist

And keep in mind he didn't manage in the Champions League for 8 out of his 27 years as manager.

So, who are the other managers who can compete with that record?

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next