Red Alert
Kaladin
Great Leader Sprucenuce
EL Patron
Art Morte
76 posters

Page 6 of 37 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21 ... 37  Next

Go down

Barclay's Premier League discussion '13-'14 - Page 6 Empty Re: Barclay's Premier League discussion '13-'14

Post by RedOranje Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:52 pm

They'll likely play together in a 4-4-2.

RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Barclay's Premier League discussion '13-'14 - Page 6 Empty Re: Barclay's Premier League discussion '13-'14

Post by Red Alert Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Whilst that is true, still think Jozy will have to play the "SS" role in the '2'. Fletcher will just be a poacher, I think.

Haven't seen anything of S'land in pre season though, so this is just me guessing. Do you think Wickham will have his break out season this year? Think we dodged a bullet there when Comolli was still the DoF...
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:53 pm

Having a supporting striker would make it a 4-4-1-1, which is not the 4-4-2 I'm suggesting.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:57 pm

A 4411 is basically a 442, though.

Like Rafa has said, formations don't really mean anything. It's the role the players have to play which determines the real 'tactics'. Formations are only really generated by Fox Sports/Sky Sports etc.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:04 pm

That's not really true, in the sense that we (fans) and pundits alike tend to use formations as labels to describe the general game plan and roles for each player. A 4-4-1-1 implies a SS and CF. A flat 4-4-2 implies that the forwards have much more straightforward, and similar, roles as they're likely to be operating along the same level on the pitch.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:13 pm

It's more so for the general game plan, rather than the actual role of each player that they want to analyse. Sky had has us playing 442 at times with Suarez and Sturridge up top, that wasn't exactly true though. Suarez was more a SS.

Fletcher is a different player to Jozy Altidore. He's not really that great with the ball at his feet. He can hold the ball up, but he's not the greatest in possession and running with the ball. Jozy is a different player. So Jozy will have have to come deep to collect the ball in that '2' man forward line. We'll soon find out. Like I said, I haven't seen much of S'land this pre season to declare it as a fact, so I'm not "stating facts".
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Jozy as SS will not work I'm afraid. I'm more inclined to lean towards what Red is saying where both Fletcher and Jozy playing next to each other as per the traditional 442
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Who from the S'land midfielders can link the attack to midfield, though? Colback? Gardner? They'll struggle to touch the ball. lol

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:28 pm

something-red wrote:Who from the S'land midfielders can link the attack to midfield, though? Colback? Gardner? They'll struggle to touch the ball. lol

Sessegnon most likely, even if he is deployed on the wing will surely cut inside 99% of the time. But I'm also just speculating as I only watch Sunderland around 5/6 times a year when Pool and other top teams play them so my opinion wouldn't be worth much.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Classy player is Sessegnon. Thought he was sold for some reason.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:36 pm

something-red wrote:Classy player is Sessegnon. Thought he was sold for some reason.
Will be more difficult for him to link mid to attack when playing in a wide position. Unless they only play one of Fletcher/Altidore, Sessegnon will likely be playing LW.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:38 pm

Natalie Portman wrote:And a new season begins. First week fixtures include:

Liverpool vs. Stoke
Arsenal vs. Aston Villa
Norwich vs. Everton
Sunderland vs. Fulham
WBA vs. Soton
West Ham vs. Cardiff
Swansea vs. Man Utd

Palace vs. Spurs
Chelsea vs. Hull

City vs. Newcastle
----------------------------------------------------------
My predictions. If neither is highlighted it's a draw.

Also, Altidore is going to boss it in the PL. Like Red said, he's a different player now, and he's playing with the utmost confidence right now.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:43 pm

Sunderland will likely rely on their wide players to link midfield to attack in any case. They've signed several wide attackers/wingers if memory serves, and both Altidore and Fletcher are at their best when being fed consistently by wingers' crosses and passes into them.

Altidore isn't a supporting forward. If that's Di Canio's plan then I feel sorry for both Altidore and Sunderland, because it won't work out. Jozy isn't a dribbler or a creator or really a passer. He's a more traditional forward who knows where the goal is and can hold up the ball to bring others into play if he doesn't have a look for a shot, but he's not going to drop deep regularly or look to get on the ball and create plays.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AltoZ Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:41 am

Louise Taylor thinks Spurs will win the league for the first time in 50+ years.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/aug/16/premier-league-predictions-guardian-writers?CMP=twt_gu
AltoZ
AltoZ
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by NiallQuinnsdiscoPants Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Due to Fletchers injury we wont see him and Jozy link up for a wile yet.  I think the plan is eventually to play 4-4-2 with those 2 upfront.

To start off we will probably have Jozy upfront on his own with a 5 man midfield, with Sess playing just behind Jozy offering support.

We will have Giaccherini and Johnson on the wings feeding balls in.  Larsson who can also put a decent ball in has been playing more central recently.  Cabral will play along side him. I originally thought Cabral was more of a defensive CM but he seemed to link up quite well with Altidore in the friendlies.

The Sess role will be supplemented with the option of Ji & Wickham.
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by AltoZ Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:12 pm

Newcastle will finish above you lot again.
AltoZ
AltoZ
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by BigNewFan Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:08 pm

I'm really excited to watch. Still trying to figure out which matches to watch/record. I think I'll start with Liverpool and Stoke City since I've never seen either of these teams. Also interested in Arsenal and Aston Villa.

Looking forward to watching.

BigNewFan
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by AltoZ Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:52 pm

Have you never seen Liverpool play? Whaaat? Laughing

Swansea - ManUnited is the best match by far. I think Palace vs Spurs on sunday will be interesting. I can see a potential upset.
AltoZ
AltoZ
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:55 pm

How long until Blackburn sack their first manager of the season, Gary Bowyer? They've started the season with a draw and two defeats in the Championship and got knocked out of the League Cup by a lower-league opposition. I reckon it'll happen before September.

BigNewFan wrote:I'm really excited to watch. Still trying to figure out which matches to watch/record. I think I'll start with Liverpool and Stoke City since I've never seen either of these teams. Also interested in Arsenal and Aston Villa.

Looking forward to watching.
Thumbs up
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:11 pm

NiallQuinnsdiscoPants wrote:Due to Fletchers injury we wont see him and Jozy link up for a wile yet.  I think the plan is eventually to play 4-4-2 with those 2 upfront.

To start off we will probably have Jozy upfront on his own with a 5 man midfield, with Sess playing just behind Jozy offering support.

We will have Giaccherini and Johnson on the wings feeding balls in.  Larsson who can also put a decent ball in has been playing more central recently.  Cabral will play along side him.  I originally thought Cabral was more of a defensive CM but he seemed to link up quite well with Altidore in the friendlies.  

The Sess role will be supplemented with the option of Ji & Wickham.
Thanks for the insight. That sounds more realistic for getting the best out of Altidore than attempting to play him as an SS behind Fletcher or another forward.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigNewFan Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:52 pm

AltoZ wrote:Have you never seen Liverpool play? Whaaat? Laughing

Swansea - ManUnited is the best match by far. I think Palace vs Spurs on sunday will be interesting. I can see a potential upset.
hehe...

I'm an American. New soccer fan. Watched World Cups and the big tournaments. Now that EPL is on NBC Television I'm getting in on all the action!

BigNewFan
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Well sign in for the chat when you're watching, you'll be able to ask questions in real time and hopefully it'll help you enjoy what you're seeing more.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:44 pm

While its a bit selfish of me, I think that from a NT standpoint, it was kind of a mistake for Jozy to go to the PL in a WC year.

He is in the form of his life right now. He absolutely tore up the erevidisie, and he has grown so much as a player. But im not too confident that growth is compete. The Netherlands is, compared to other european leagues at least, easy to score in.

However, being a striker, is all about confidence, which Jozy has now. Will he have that a year from now after being at sunderland? I don't know. It seems like a risk. Especially with the manager they have at helm making all the decisions who is "unstable" to say the least.

I wish all the best to him but its hard for me to see him hit this kind of form he is in now a year after being in the PL, when it really counts in the World Cup.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BigNewFan Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:18 pm

stevieg8 wrote:Well sign in for the chat when you're watching, you'll be able to ask questions in real time and hopefully it'll help you enjoy what you're seeing more.
Fantastic.

BigNewFan
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BigNewFan Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:53 am

Where is the chat forum?

BigNewFan
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by nasir6371 Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:58 am

Toure So close... Huth that volley Proud
nasir6371
nasir6371
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 37 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21 ... 37  Next