Has fighting racism gone too far in football?

+8
Grooverider
Swanhends
Great Leader Sprucenuce
fatman123
VivaStPauli
Tomwin Lannister
Lex
Art Morte
12 posters

Go down

Has fighting racism gone too far in football? Empty Has fighting racism gone too far in football?

Post by Art Morte Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:23 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/29/clarke-carlisle-reginald-hunter-pfa-awards

The Professional Footballers' Association has become embroiled in a fresh racism row after its chairman, Clarke Carlisle, admitted it was a "huge mistake" to hire the comedian Reginald D Hunter for the union's annual awards ceremony on Sunday night.

Hunter, a black American comedian renowned for racial humour, used the word "*bleep*" during his set at the Grosvenor House hotel in London, following two years in which high-profile incidents including the John Terry-Anton Ferdinand case and Luis Suárez's abuse of Patrice Evra have blighted the game.

The anti-racism campaign group Kick It Out also condemned the PFA's choice of entertainment and Carlisle, who has been chairman since 2010, admitted he was "embarrassed" while watching Hunter perform. "I thought we made a huge mistake," said the Northampton Town defender. "I thought with everything that we have gone through over the last few years, using a comedian of his type was a bad error in judgment. I was embarrassed sat up there throughout and I want to apologise unreservedly to the footballing community that was present.

First of all, what a fail by them not to check out Reginald's stuff before hiring him if they wanted to avoid this kind of stand-up comedy.

But what I'm left thinking is that Reg D Hunter dishes out this kind of material on a regular basis. Why all of a sudden it's a "huge mistake" and apparently strongly condemnatory to have him doing his set at a football event while it's fine and all part of comedy at other events?

Has fighting racism in football become hypocrite or should a difference be made between what's acceptable comedy at football events and at other events?

If this is off-topic, let it be moved there.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Has fighting racism gone too far in football? Empty Re: Has fighting racism gone too far in football?

Post by Lex Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:48 pm

For those wondering, Reg D. Hunter is black
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Has fighting racism gone too far in football? Empty Re: Has fighting racism gone too far in football?

Post by Tomwin Lannister Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:52 pm

I was just about to say that...

He's black. To me this is so over sensitive, it's like people are trying their absolute best to find a racist remark.

At the end of the day, if you can prove a fan was racist during a game, you ban them for life.

Done, can't expect clubs to do any more. But this over sensitive Bull shit is an absolute joke.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:53 pm

Lex wrote:For those wondering, Reg D. Hunter is black
And I just noticed the article pointed that out :facepalm:
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:55 pm

:facepalm:

That's weird, I purposely looked for that before I commented too... hmm

GL editing conspiracy?
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:57 pm

Football is at a point where everyone is walking on eggshells, afraid of saying the wrong thing or associating with someone who is perceived to have said the wrong thing, hence this massive overreaction to a well known comedian dropping the N bomb
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:59 pm

Just saying the word isn'T racist, calling someone that is. I don't get how people cannot understand hte difference between mentioning and using a term.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:00 pm

Political correctness has gone too far, this is another example of it
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:04 pm

BREAKING NEWS: Clarke Carlisle vehemently pushes for Sunderland to be renamed as the Anglo-African Felis Catus'
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:07 pm

First of all.... this is a f*cking joke.

2nd of all if that is what the PFA didn't want why in the f*ck did they book him?

Every f*cker in the country knows what he's act is all about....

Might as well book Frankie Boyle for a Feminist rights lecture.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:03 am

fatman123 wrote:Political correctness has gone too far, this is another example of it
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:07 am

VivaStPauli wrote:Just saying the word isn'T racist, calling someone that is. I don't get how people cannot understand hte difference between mentioning and using a term.

Famous quote from Men in Black:

"People aren't smart. A person is smart. People are dumb and panicky animals"
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Grooverider Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:43 am

Has fighting racism gone too far in football?

Yes, it has...the best way to deal with racist idiots is to ignore them, much like a school yard bully.

The more attention you give, the more they thrive.

Treat them as insignificant fools, they will soon get the message.
Grooverider
Grooverider
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Suarez99 Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:37 am

Guys like Clarke Carlisle & Ian Wright live off this "every white man is racist" phrase.

I agree with the above poster, ignore it and it will go away, besides the English media is as xenophobic as you will see, yet they brag about being some sort of pioneers in the fight against racism. Pathetic.
Suarez99
Suarez99
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:55 am

The content is either objectionable or it isn't; I am not familiar with the comedian in question, however for this to be an issue, the nature of his comments would have to actually be racist, otherwise it's a completely trivial side issue. It would be objectionable to give voice to such views, however this is clearly not the case in this scenario.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Grooverider Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:16 am

Suarez99 wrote:Guys like Clarke Carlisle & Ian Wright live off this "every white man is racist" phrase.

I agree with the above poster, ignore it and it will go away, besides the English media is as xenophobic as you will see, yet they brag about being some sort of pioneers in the fight against racism. Pathetic.

These two idiots are just that...and no..it is not because they are black, it is because they are just idiots!! Very Happy
Grooverider
Grooverider
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:04 pm

BTW you can never fight racism too hard, or too far.

But this isn't fighting racism, it's fighting a joke.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:55 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:BTW you can never fight racism too hard, or too far.

But this isn't fighting racism, it's fighting a joke.

My feelings exactly. Viva :bow:

You don't just ignore racism. Vocal racism is getting rarer in this day and age, but wherever it shows up, it has a very subtle impact on those around it. If you accept it or ignore it instead of actively fighting it, the sort of subconscious problems that are present throughout society become deeper and manifest more clearly.

I'm talking about the fact that an individual with a black sounding name is 30% (or more) less likely to get a job than a white-named individual with identical qualifications.

I'm talking about the fact that a black kid can be considered suspicious for wearing a hoodie, whether it's to an insignificant neighborhood watchmen or the NYPD.

I'm talking about the fact that a South American player repeatedly gets longer punishments for identical crimes to his white counterparts, and the media outside of his hometown and team doesn't bring it up.

Not all racism manifest itself as white supremacy, and the vast majority of social racism in the West at this point is embedded in our subconscious as opposed to overt. If you ignore the blatant forms, you allow them to have an impact on the way we think.

All that being said though - a black comedian using the N-word as a part of his set isn't racist, and anyone who thinks it is needs to take a few sociology and linguistics classes. Yet another example of the FA being incredibly stupid.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed May 01, 2013 12:48 pm

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.568413596523219.1073741830.231809290183653&type=3&l=ec10a4ab5c

rofl :bow:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed May 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Quite agree with viva and stevieg.

My main concern with actions such as these is that it distracts from the real issues surrounding racism in the game. As has been stated, there is still a massive battle to be fought, however diverting energy into pointless diversions such as this with the intention of being seen to be clean rather than actually being clean doesn't lead to progress at all.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Wed May 01, 2013 2:17 pm

I think we're confusing fighting idiocy with fighting racism.

Racial comedy does not serve the purpose of discriminating against people's cultures or ethnicities, but acknowledges those differences and presents them in a comical way.

The difference between the attitudes of Reginald D Hunter and the FA is that one's a joke and the other is a comedian who makes jokes.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed May 01, 2013 3:46 pm

I read from somewhere that the PFA is asking Hunter for his fee back. This is getting really embarassing for them.

Just take it as what it is, a piece of comedy, like everyone else, and move on ffs.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed May 01, 2013 4:07 pm

It's like he was looking into a crystal ball :bow:

Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Wed May 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Forza wrote:I think we're confusing fighting idiocy with fighting racism.

Racial comedy does not serve the purpose of discriminating against people's cultures or ethnicities, but acknowledges those differences and presents them in a comical way.

The difference between the attitudes of Reginald D Hunter and the FA is that one's a joke and the other is a comedian who makes jokes.

:bow: :bow: :bow:
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down