Hawky
El Gunner
S
The Sanchez
Ausi90
32 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

if Barca wins CL this season... Empty if Barca wins CL this season...

Post by Ausi90 Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:37 am

they will be level with Liverpool and 2 away from Milan's record and 4 away from Real Madrid's grand record.

I think there is a big possibility that Barca could win it again. and if we go by the fact that Barca has won the CL every 2nd years, and Messi Xavi Iniesta etc. continue this form for the next 5-6 years, who knows? maybe they will be level/surpass Milan and even be level with Madrid on total CL trophies...again nobody knows, but there is a possibility...

what do you think?

Personally I would hate the day Barca equals Milan's or Madrid's record, as those 2 clubs are in another sphere historically, Barca don't have near as big a history as those giants. They started winning in Europe in 1991 ffs. and in untill 2006, they still had only 1 CL in their entire history.

Ausi90
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

if Barca wins CL this season... Empty Re: if Barca wins CL this season...

Post by The Sanchez Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:41 am

They won't. No need to hate because they simply won't... :coffee:
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by S Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:45 am

Ausi90 wrote:Personally I would hate the day Barca equals Milan's or Madrid's record, as those 2 clubs are in another sphere historically, Barca don't have near as big a history as those giants. They started winning in Europe in 1991 ffs. and in untill 2006, they still had only 1 CL in their entire history.
So ? Whats the big deal in winning CL's from 91 or 2001 ?

If anything i would give Barca more credit since they won most of their CL's when the competition was/is much tougher.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:16 am

How can the OP state that Milan and Madrid were in a different sphere back then??? hmm

What makes this Barca team so undeserving of equalling Milan or Madrid's tally of UCL trophies.???
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawky Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:44 am

They probably won't. But it's funny that Real Madrid's first 5 European Cups, won when the competition was basically a friendly tournament (the teams were invited to attend), are rated more than the 4 titles that Barcelona have won in recent times.
Hawky
Hawky
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:50 am

Hawky wrote:They probably won't. But it's funny that Real Madrid's first 5 European Cups, won when the competition was basically a friendly tournament (the teams were invited to attend), are rated more than the 4 titles that Barcelona have won in recent times.

lol

Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by gondov Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:47 pm

Hawky wrote:They probably won't. But it's funny that Real Madrid's first 5 European Cups, won when the competition was basically a friendly tournament (the teams were invited to attend), are rated more than the 4 titles that Barcelona have won in recent times.

I agree with you. Those ECs in the 50s/60s weren't anything like the CL today.

Its strange how people claim Madrid have 9 ECs, and that other teams will have to somehow match that to be considered as great. Fact is we will never get back to those days when few teams participated and the competition was VERY different.

Madrid have 3 CLs and and 6 ECs !! Kudos to them for winning that particular tournament 5 years in a row.

However there is a reason why no team has won the CL twice in a row. :coffee:

BARCA DONT HAVE TO WIN 5 MORE CLs TO BE CONSIDERED AS GREAT AS MADRID, MILAN,etc
gondov
gondov
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Collblanc Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:16 pm

This team will be considered the best team ever to play the game. They have been compared to the great teams of Juventus, Milan, Madrid, Ajax, that says enough. Coaches and former players say it all the time; this team has the greatests talents in it - and the best player ever to set foot on the pitch. I know allot of Madrid fans and other Barca-haters will disagree, no worries - we will the CL again this year, take the triple and prove you wrong.
Collblanc
Collblanc
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Collblanc wrote:This team will be considered the best team ever to play the game. They have been compared to the great teams of Juventus, Milan, Madrid, Ajax, that says enough. Coaches and former players say it all the time; this team has the greatests talents in it - and the best player ever to set foot on the pitch. I know allot of Madrid fans and other Barca-haters will disagree, no worries - we will the CL again this year, take the triple and prove you wrong.

Ahhh you beat me to reverse jinxing it! Thumbs up
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:36 pm

gondov wrote:However there is a reason why no team has won the CL twice in a row. :coffee:
I think it's inevitable that a team will win 2 CLs in a row.

Milan won 2 CL's in a row just a few years before the competition was rebranded as the Champions League. And it's not like that wasn't a tough thing to do.

In fact, there is a good argument to say that winning the CL in the modern era was more difficult pre-1997 because during that time only the league champions and defending CL champions were able to participate.

So you had to win the league in one year, wait until next season, and then win two consecutive CLs. That means you have to hold a title-winning squad together for 3 seasons.

And this is in the age of big money, professionalism and elite athletes. It wasn't an uncompetitive competition by any means.

So, it's inevitable. Sooner or later a team will come along that puts together 2 all-conquering seasons in Europe.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:39 pm

I think Barca are more beatable nowadays. If they aren't, then it's because there's a lack of top teams nowadays.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 pm

UCL>EC. EC even latter years was easier competition than UCL, never mind the easiest years at the start of the competition. I will not go into specifics until someone wants to know why.

That said Barca wont win UCL this year, they aren't playing good enough, and have awful problems in defense.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:46 pm

So Barca shouldnt match those teams because they dont deserve it, because the other teams have a greater history based on the fact they won it before.

Makes sense.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:58 pm

Harmonica wrote:UCL>EC. EC even latter years was easier competition than UCL, never mind the easiest years at the start of the competition. I will not go into specifics until someone wants to know why.

That said Barca wont win UCL this year, they aren't playing good enough, and have awful problems in defense.
I think that EC in the latter years was just as hard as UCL. I know that you're going to say that without the runners-up from various leagues participating the field in the EC was weaker, but that is just a trade-off of having to be the league champion to qualify. And in the end, what it came down to more often than not, was the best vs the best.

Using Milan's double as an example:
In 1988-1989, Milan played Red Star Belgrade, Werder Bremen, Real Madrid and Steaua Bucharest in the 2nd round, quarters, semis and final, respectively. Maybe some are not such big names now, but they were excellent teams at the time.
In 1989-1990, Milan played Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Benfica in the quarters, semis and final, respectively. All still big name clubs.

I agree that there are now more 'higher quality' teams in the UCL than there were in the latter years of EC, but I disagree with you on your claim that winning the EC was easier than winning the UCL.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:00 pm

The Franchise wrote:So Barca shouldnt match those teams because they dont deserve it, because the other teams have a greater history based on the fact they won it before.

Makes sense.

Laughing

Surprised you even responded in this thread
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:I think Barca are more beatable nowadays. If they aren't, then it's because there's a lack of top teams nowadays.
They are definitely more beatable this season than they have been in the past. I haven't watched enough Barca/La Liga to tell you precisely why this is. However, there doesn't seem to be the sense that it's Barca against the field (ala the famous/infamous Tiger against the field bets of yester-year). Perhaps its the managerial change. Perhaps it is the lack of Pique's organization (due to injuries). Perhaps its the difficulty in finding the right combination of wide-forward play (with Sanchez's goal-scoring struggles and Villa's injuries). I don't know.

That said, they don't have to be the best team in the competition to win it. Look at Chelsea last year or Liverpool in 2005. That's both the beauty and the infuriating nature of knock-out competitions. There's no reason they can't win it this season. They have enough quality to beat each of the teams left on their day, and they have the experience to know how to play the tournament game.

I don't understand the argument that they don't deserve to equal Liverpool and rival Milan. They have been one of the most dominant teams in Europe over the past few years and arguably just as dominant as any club at any given point in their history. Of their Champions League wins, which did they not deserve? I acknowledge that you can make an argument for teams winning trophies that they don't deserve, (I, myself, have made that argument recently). However, I would take quite a bit of convincing to think Barca didn't deserve one of their CL wins.

If the tally is really the only problem, then you need to reevaluate how you've come to your opinion.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:13 pm

donttreadonred wrote:
Yohan Modric wrote:I think Barca are more beatable nowadays. If they aren't, then it's because there's a lack of top teams nowadays.
They are definitely more beatable this season than they have been in the past. I haven't watched enough Barca/La Liga to tell you precisely why this is. However, there doesn't seem to be the sense that it's Barca against the field (ala the famous/infamous Tiger against the field bets of yester-year). Perhaps its the managerial change. Perhaps it is the lack of Pique's organization (due to injuries). Perhaps its the difficulty in finding the right combination of wide-forward play (with Sanchez's goal-scoring struggles and Villa's injuries). I don't know.

That said, they don't have to be the best team in the competition to win it. Look at Chelsea last year or Liverpool in 2005. That's both the beauty and the infuriating nature of knock-out competitions. There's no reason they can't win it this season. They have enough quality to beat each of the teams left on their day, and they have the experience to know how to play the tournament game.

I don't understand the argument that they don't deserve to equal Liverpool and rival Milan. They have been one of the most dominant teams in Europe over the past few years and arguably just as dominant as any club at any given point in their history. Of their Champions League wins, which did they not deserve? I acknowledge that you can make an argument for teams winning trophies that they don't deserve, (I, myself, have made that argument recently). However, I would take quite a bit of convincing to think Barca didn't deserve one of their CL wins.

If the tally is really the only problem, then you need to reevaluate how you've come to your opinion.
Agree with all of this.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by white_star Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Op what? How old are you? Read up on your football history before you start a nonsense thread!
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Shakhtar Donetsk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:26 pm

If it was that much easier to win 5 ECs in a row, then why didn't other teams do it?
Kev
Kev
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful Football Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:50 pm

Ausi90 is clearly a troll Laughing look his comment in my Right section about messi.Already two Barca bashing thread in General section by this dude.
Wouldn't rule out as a possible Multi Account holder. hmm

Beautiful Football
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:07 pm

gondov wrote:

I agree with you. Those ECs in the 50s/60s weren't anything like the CL today.

Its strange how people claim Madrid have 9 ECs, and that other teams will have to somehow match that to be considered as great. Fact is we will never get back to those days when few teams participated and the competition was VERY different.

Madrid have 3 CLs and and 6 ECs !! Kudos to them for winning that particular tournament 5 years in a row.

However there is a reason why no team has won the CL twice in a row. :coffee:

BARCA DONT HAVE TO WIN 5 MORE CLs TO BE CONSIDERED AS GREAT AS MADRID, MILAN,etc

Never read up on the old competition, so this is interesting to know!

And it is true that when Real won the EC back then, it was pretty easy? If so, then it is a bit unfair to keep using it as a symbol of greatness? eco smile Anyway, not picking a fight....and Barca have been a top club for decades now.... and pass few years have cemented the club as truly one of the top few in the world Cool Win it again this season or not, we will still be considered like that. Of cos, we are still favourites Twisted Evil
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Beautiful Football wrote:Ausi90 is clearly a troll Laughing look his comment in my Right section about messi.Already two Barca bashing thread in General section by this dude.
Haven't read his other posts, but the opinion he posted isn't necessarily a trolling one. It's merely a short-sighted one. Many supporters have such a giant hard-on for their club and reverence for the legends of the past, that they can't appreciate something beautiful in front of them. They don't want to admit that it's possible for a club to equal and surpass the records of their idolized side.

Truth be known, I'm not necessarily a fan of Barcelona. I don't particularly have anything against them as a club. However, their play in the last decade or so has been a sight to behold. I personally think this period's Barca teams will be remembered in footballing history for popularizing the super-possession style of football. It's not that they were the first to play possession football, but they took it to a new level and brought the concept back to the fore.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful Football Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:17 pm

donttreadonred wrote:
Beautiful Football wrote:Ausi90 is clearly a troll Laughing look his comment in my Right section about messi.Already two Barca bashing thread in General section by this dude.
Haven't read his other posts, but the opinion he posted isn't necessarily a trolling one. It's merely a short-sighted one. Many supporters have such a giant hard-on for their club and reverence for the legends of the past, that they can't appreciate something beautiful in front of them. They don't want to admit that it's possible for a club to equal and surpass the records of their idolized side.

Truth be known, I'm not necessarily a fan of Barcelona. I don't particularly have anything against them as a club. However, their play in the last decade or so has been a sight to behold. I personally think this period's Barca teams will be remembered in footballing history for popularizing the super-possession style of football. It's not that they were the first to play possession football, but they took it to a new level and brought the concept back to the fore.

Completely Agree mate. Thumbs up

Beautiful Football
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:08 pm

Real Madrid played to win that 6 European Cups, they weren't gifted.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Some barca fans in this thread :facepalm:

Stop trying to discredit our CL record. Whether you like it or not, we have 9 European titles. A similar argument can be made that in the last 10 years, there wasn't any good teams challenging barca..
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next