boss
Sri
MJ
55 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Olivier Giroud - Page 4 Empty Re: Olivier Giroud

Post by SamuelJayC Mon 18 Jun 2012 - 23:15

Arsenal have agreed a deal to sign Giroud. Medical and other administrative procedures will be completed after Euro 2012 @bbcsport_david

Thumbs up

SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Tue 19 Jun 2012 - 1:54

to those saying we need a midfield

if you look closely, all we need to do is get a DM, mayb M'Villa and we are done

then we have

-------M'villa------------Arteta/song
------------Rosicky/diaby/wilshere
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue 19 Jun 2012 - 2:46

aleumdance wrote:to those saying we need a midfield

if you look closely, all we need to do is get a DM, mayb M'Villa and we are done

then we have

Arteta : A man who has had frequent injury concerns and was off injured towards the end of this past season. Without whom we were crippled in midfield everytime.
Song : DM who lack discipline, behind heralded by us as the second coming of Cesc Fabregas because he notched up double digit assists this past season.
Rosciky : Had half a good season, and then had injury woes. On the wrong side of 30 with not enough gas in his tanks to start each game of an entire season.
Diaby : Who? That lad who keeps the beds in the infirmary warm? Don't kid yourself.
Wilshere : Lad with one amazing season where he was overplayed despite being young, and subsequently spent a year in a protective boot and plagued by recurring setbacks. He can't start more than 25 games, not without risking further setbacks. Let him recover fully before we pin our hopes on him.
Ramsey, Frimpong, Coquelin : You forgot them. But two of them lack experience, one of them has had back-to-back long term injuries and one has been weighed down by an excess of expectation after a horrible injury.

How is our midfield okay with adding one player, and a defensive one at that?

And to those suggesting moving RvP to the AM role behind Podolski-Giroud-Theo : that only works in FIFA or FM. The midfield would be disjointed and there would be no balance. Ask Bert van Marwijk what happen to his Dutch side against Portugal and you'll know what I mean.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Tue 19 Jun 2012 - 3:18

then we have

this midfield is not good enough, you really need to look at each individual player critically, before you can claim that we are set in midfield, sri explained it all perfectly. lool at diaby geezus christ help us.

we need a creative midfielder desperately, last season we had real trouble creating chances, we were incredibly lucky rvp was soo clinical. trusting wilshere is very risky after his long injury and rosicky is too injury prone moreover, he isnt the type of player that can win you titles. he is a squad player, and should not be a starter.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Tue 19 Jun 2012 - 3:32

I agree with the two above posts from srigonner and REWB, but I would just say keep the possibility of Wenger using Chamberlain as a CAM.

That's the position he WANTS to play, and we have plenty of other guys to play the wings.

Not saying that's Wenger's going to do, but it's a possibility.

lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeamsvilleGooner Tue 19 Jun 2012 - 3:58

True... Agreed. Insert Jack and the midfield changes. Insert m'vila and it becomes formidable.

then we have

BeamsvilleGooner
Prospect
Prospect

http://lastwordonsports.com/category/twoleftcleats/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mudcat Tue 19 Jun 2012 - 14:35

srigooner wrote:

And to those suggesting moving RvP to the AM role behind Podolski-Giroud-Theo : that only works in FIFA or FM. The midfield would be disjointed and there would be no balance. Ask Bert van Marwijk what happen to his Dutch side against Portugal and you'll know what I mean.

Dennis Bergkamp didn't do too badly in that role in Arsenal's 4-4-2. He regularly dropped in behind Thierry Henry, Pires and Ljungberg. And that is the role Robin Van Persie was originally trained to fill. It was only after Adebayor left that he became an out-and-out main striker. Robin could play behind Giroud with Podolski filling the Pires role.

Last edited by Mudcat on Tue 19 Jun 2012 - 15:05; edited 1 time in total
Mudcat
Mudcat
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Tue 19 Jun 2012 - 14:45

srigooner wrote:

then we have

Arteta : A man who has had frequent injury concerns and was off injured towards the end of this past season. Without whom we were crippled in midfield everytime.
Song : DM who lack discipline, behind heralded by us as the second coming of Cesc Fabregas because he notched up double digit assists this past season.
Rosciky : Had half a good season, and then had injury woes. On the wrong side of 30 with not enough gas in his tanks to start each game of an entire season.
Diaby : Who? That lad who keeps the beds in the infirmary warm? Don't kid yourself.
Wilshere : Lad with one amazing season where he was overplayed despite being young, and subsequently spent a year in a protective boot and plagued by recurring setbacks. He can't start more than 25 games, not without risking further setbacks. Let him recover fully before we pin our hopes on him.
Ramsey, Frimpong, Coquelin : You forgot them. But two of them lack experience, one of them has had back-to-back long term injuries and one has been weighed down by an excess of expectation after a horrible injury.

I remember readin similar comments when Wenger played the

Wilshere-----Song
------Fabregas------

I am not saying it would be an instant success

but Song can finnaly play to his true potential with M'Villa Supporting him

Arteta is like fine wine, gets better with age, and his injury concern is BS, he played nearly all last season..

as for Rosicky, did you watch him at the Euros?, give him space and he would shine

Ramsey can fvck off
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Tue 19 Jun 2012 - 15:02

aleumdance wrote:
srigooner wrote:

then we have

I remember readin similar comments when Wenger played the

Wilshere-----Song
------Fabregas------

I am not saying it would be an instant success

but Song can finnaly play to his true potential with M'Villa Supporting him

Arteta is like fine wine, gets better with age, and his injury concern is BS, he played nearly all last season..

as for Rosicky, did you watch him at the Euros?, give him space and he would shine

Ramsey can fvck off

enough to get in the top four, not enough to win the title mate.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue 19 Jun 2012 - 15:38

If RVP stays we will have the best strike force in EPL. We need M'Vila and one creative midfielder and we are set for EPL glory.

Arteta and Rosicky should be given good rests, we cant afford to lose Arteta to injure again.

Ramsey should be loaned out, and Jack should be given as much as time he needs to get back in to game shape.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Quinten Metsys Wed 20 Jun 2012 - 20:38

Olivier Giroud denied that he has reached an agreement to join Arsenal, despite confirmations that Montpellier were in negotiations with the London side.

The 25-year-old forward is a top transfer target of Gunners boss Arsene Wenger, but the assertions of Giroud suggest there is still more work to be done if the France international is to join the Premier League club.

"I have not signed for Arsenal," was Giroud's curt reply to RMC Sport when quizzed on the topic following France's 2-0 loss to Sweden at Euro 2012.

Wenger is in the market for a new forward to bolster his striking options, and is eager to add the Ligue 1 top scorer to the club's ranks as they prepare for the possible departure of Robin van Persie.

Giroud fired Montpellier to the Ligue 1 title last season with 21 goals in 36 games.
Quinten Metsys
Quinten Metsys
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 9:08

Arsene Wenger has more or less confirmed the signing of Montpellier striker Olivier Giroud, saying he’s ’90% an Arsenal player’.

Speaking to TF1, Wenger spoke about the 25 year old’s Euro 2012 tournament thus far, saying, “Giroud didn’t play much, but he’s going to be an Arsenal player 90% next season.

“I think he has exceptional potential and will integrate very well in our collective and our way of playing. He’s a real team player and knows how to combine with other players and I’m sure he will do well with us.”

Giroud scored 21 goals in Ligue 1 last season, helping the French minnows to the title, and it looks like he’ll be wearing red and white next season.

Wenger also spoke about confirmed new arrival Lukas Podolski, who made his 100th appearance for Germany against Denmark.

“Podolski did a great job for the German team, he has superb team work. He plays in a cautious way sometimes, but he’s still scored a very important goal against Denmark for his 100th cap.

“I am very happy with what I’ve seen from him.”

Oh wait, Urban's already posted it in rumours Razz.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 19:27

Olivier Giroud: by the numbers
By 7amkickoff

(All numbers are for league matches only, unless otherwise noted or common sense dictates)

192 – Olivier Giroud height in centimeters (according to all sources)
88 – Olivier Giroud weight in kilograms (according to most sources)
92 – Olivier Giroud weight in kilograms according to l’Equipe
201 – Peter Crouch height in centimeters
75 – Peter Crouch weight in kilograms
193 – Andy Carroll height in centimeters
79 – Andy Carroll weight in kilograms
3.7 – Olivier Giroud aerial duels won per game*
4.5 – Peter Crouch aerial duels won per game**
10 – Rank of Olivier Giroud among all players in the top five leagues in aerial duels won per game
21 – Goals scored by Olivier Giroud in Ligue un last season*
15 – Rank of Olivier Giroud among all players in the top five leagues in goals scored
6.9 – Shots per game by Christiano Ronaldo**
4.7 – Shots per game by Robin van Persie*
4.5 – Shots per game by Olivier Giroud*
7 - Rank of Olivier Giroud among all players in the top five leagues in shots per game
174 – Total shots by Robin van Persie*
82 – Shots on goal
30 – Goals scored*
47 – Percent of Robin van Persie’s shots that were shots on goal
37 – Percent of Robin van Persie’s shots on goal that he scored
161 – Total shots by Olivier Giroud*
70 - Shots on goal
21 – Goals scored*
43 – Percent of Olivier Giroud’s shots that were shots on goal
30 – Percent of Olivier Giroud’s shots on goal that he scored

Olivier Giroud - Page 4 Giroud2

What you see in Giroud’s numbers is a player who is an aerially dominant target man. He wins a great percentage of his aerial duels in France at 70%. That’s the same kind of aerial duel percentage that you normally associate with a dominant defender and as you can see is 6% better than Crouch (who is 4″ taller than Giroud). The good news is that Giroud has gotten better at the aerial game as you can see from last season. Chamakh, when he came to Arsenal, had two seasons at 47% aerial duels and continued that percentage at Arsenal. Another wrinkle in the fact that Giroud is so good in the air is that Arsenal often used Robin van Persie on defensive set plays to win headers, sliding Giroud back there could free Robin up to be a counter attacking threat.

The one thing that might frustrate fans (and the player) is that Giroud requires a lot of shots to score goals, in fact, the same number as Chamakh. But that might work in Arsenal’s favor as he is going to get a lot of crosses from the Arsenal fullbacks, he’s going to get a lot of shots off corners and set plays, and if you notice that Robin van Persie averages 2.4 key passes per game (plus he had 9 assists) you could see Robin drop slightly deeper and become more of a distributor as Lord Bergkamp suggested would be his best role.

Regardless, if Arsenal do manage to sign Giroud it signals a pretty big change of direction in terms of attack. And by big I mean a guy who is 6’3″ and weighs 190lbs and who will be real handful in the air for opposition defenses.

7am
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 21:34

great find on that article sina. it seems like wenger really wants the dimension of an aerial threat. Clearly what he bought Chamakh for but he's been troubled with a lack of confidence. Giroud provides the aerial threat but his game doesn't seem to be predicated solely on that unlike Chamakh.
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 0:09

Fantastic buy Imo. I have watched him a lot last season because of Montpelier and he was probably their best player along with Belhanda.

He is like Llorente, But faster and has more technique. A typical wenger player in the way he plays. Brings the wingers into the attacking position and puts the team before himself.

I do wonder how wenger will play him though. Him and RVP that is
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 2:52

RG is back Chaka

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 5:32

The euphoria will fade away if RvP leaves, though!

Haven't seen much of Giroud, but heard great things. So i'm excited. As I always am when Wenger doesn't buy a young kid!

I juz trully pray and hope that RvP stays, and Giroud doesn't turn up to be a Chamakh 2.0
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 11:18

El_Gunner wrote:The euphoria will fade away if RvP leaves, though!

Haven't seen much of Giroud, but heard great things. So i'm excited. As I always am when Wenger doesn't buy a young kid!

I juz trully pray and hope that RvP stays, and Giroud doesn't turn up to be a Chamakh 2.0

It won't, like a thread was made here " I will Wait".. if RVP feels he has to leave after what this club passed with him and his injuries, and now getting podolski and giroud to keep him.. and he wants to leave, then he can be my guest..I would help him pack his bags, if he wants to stay, i would cheer him on..

WE have had players who have used us as transit, but RVP is using us as health insurance and dumping us (IF HE PLANS ON LEAVING, HOPE THE NEWS IS NOT TRUE)
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 12:07

Olivier Giroud was close to joining #CFC, say France Football, but was 'seduced' by #AFC and Wenger. #THFC, #LFC, #EFC also tried to get him (via @MattSpiro )
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 12:35

Giroud following Arsenal's official twitter account: https://twitter.com/#!/GiroudMHSC/following

(not sure if it's his real twitter)
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 12:49

Also this

Olivier Giroud - Page 4 AwCxKQlCQAA9Kz2
(credit: @OliPriceBates)

He deleted it immediately rofl
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 13:44

Samuelj29060 wrote:Olivier Giroud was close to joining #CFC, say France Football, but was 'seduced' by #AFC and Wenger. #THFC, #LFC, #EFC also tried to get him (via @MattSpiro )

Sexy Arsene knows what Olly likes Twisted Evil
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by S Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 13:56

I dont know why we never went after him :facepalm:

12m pounds is so low and perfectly affordable .
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Mudcat Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 15:10

aleumdance wrote:
El_Gunner wrote:The euphoria will fade away if RvP leaves, though!

It won't, like a thread was made here " I will Wait".. if RVP feels he has to leave after what this club passed with him and his injuries, and now getting podolski and giroud to keep him.. and he wants to leave, then he can be my guest..I would help him pack his bags, if he wants to stay, i would cheer him on..

WE have had players who have used us as transit, but RVP is using us as health insurance and dumping us (IF HE PLANS ON LEAVING, HOPE THE NEWS IS NOT TRUE)

I've seen a lot more to indicate he's likely to stay rather than go, particularly comments made by his family. On the other side, we just have paper talk conjured up just to stir up crap and sell papers or attract web traffic with no facts to back it up. But you never know until something is signed on the dotted line.

But if he does decide to go, more power to him. He'll be 29 this season and could just as easily revert back to his old history of injuries as be brilliant all the way through. I remember when it seemed that every time he'd just be rounding into form he'd get hurt again. I was wondering if he'd ever fulfill his potential. I'm glad he did. Arsenal couldn't have secured a Champions League spot this year without him. But there will always be terrific players who will want to wear the Arsenal shirt, so it won't be the end of the world if he goes.
Mudcat
Mudcat
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 15:41

Welcome to the forum Mudcat Smile
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 16:41

Surag wrote:I dont know why we never went after him :facepalm:

12m pounds is so low and perfectly affordable .

if you went for him, Gallaini would enter the race and try and sign him for a plate of pizza, paid in 12 months
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next