The Messiah
kiranr
Le Samourai
Lex
Swanhends
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your favorite team doesn't give a damn about you Empty Your favorite team doesn't give a damn about you

Post by Swanhends Tue May 15, 2012 12:06 am

An article from the guy who wrote "Sh*t my dad says" - Its both funny and simultaneously sort of depressing hmm

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7654198/the-writer-sh*t-my-dad-says-why-your-team-give-damn-you

Justin Halpern wrote:In the last 20 years, I have only missed seven Chargers games. I watch them every Sunday, and if the game is blacked out locally, I crowd around the radio like it's 1944 and I'm listening to FDR give a speech about the Nazis. Five years ago, when I was waiting tables and barely making rent, I spent three hundred and thirty dollars on an authentic LaDainian Tomlinson jersey. I did that partially because I needed to swap out my Steve Foley jersey after he was shot by the cops, but also because I wanted to show my support for the team I loved. And after this season there is a decent chance that the team I have spent thousands of hours — and way too many dollars — supporting will leave San Diego.

The Chargers have been in San Diego since 1961, and in that time they've established themselves as the Nicolas Cage of the NFL: Every 10 years they seem to pull it together and have a decent showing, but mostly they're just embarrassing to watch. But in the 1994-95 season, they made it all the way to the Super Bowl. Although my dad is from Kentucky, he is a Chargers fan. He moved to San Diego in 1971 and fell in love with the team. He won't wear a jersey, and the first time he saw me in mine he said, "I would never wear a goddamn jersey that belongs to a grown man. That's for children and the woman who is currently *bleep* that man." But he never misses a game, and follows the team as closely as I do.

For Chargers fans like us, that '94-95 Super Bowl run was a big one. I was 14 years old, and watching the Chargers was my favorite activity that didn't require a box of tissues. My dad and I watched every playoff game in our living room, he sitting in his worn-out brown recliner in a gray sweatsuit, me sporting my Junior Seau T-shirt jersey on our brown couch. For the Super Bowl, we kept the same routine, in hopes the outcome would also be the same. It wasn't. The San Francisco 49ers beat the hell out of the Chargers, 49-26. My father watched silently, and I tried to keep my reactions to screams and fist clenches, but early in the fourth quarter, when Steve Young tossed his record-setting sixth touchdown to a wide-open Jerry Rice, I leaped from my seat on the couch, ran up to a pillow that had fallen on the floor, and kicked it as hard as I could. The pillow ricocheted around the wooden walls of our small living room and landed on top of the mantle, where it knocked into my dad's prized possession: a 50-year-old ceramic jug of Kentucky bourbon that had been handed down to him by his father. My dad had been saving that bourbon for an unspecified special occasion. A few years before, a friend had asked him if he'd had a drink from the bourbon on the night I was born, to mark the birth of his child. "Didn't even think about it," he said. "People shit out babies every goddamn second. That bourbon was crafted with love and patience."

I watched in horror as that pillow knocked into the bottle, which started to wobble slowly toward the edge of the shelf, where it had sat for as long as I could remember. In what felt like slow-motion, I leaped over our coffee table toward the mantle, arms outstretched, but I was too late: It tumbled to the floor before my eyes, shattering into three large pieces, emptying all that precious brown liquid into our rug. In 20 seconds, it was as if it had never existed. I froze, then slowly turned around to look at my dad. The look on his face is a look I've since seen on many of my friends who are parents. A look that says, "I am having serious doubts about my decision to have children." Then, before I could find the words to apologize, he got up and walked out the front door without saying a word. From our living room I saw him walk up the street and disappear into the darkness.

Four hours later, at around 10:30 p.m., I was brushing my teeth and getting ready for bed when I heard the front door open. A moment later, he appeared at the bathroom door, beads of sweat on his forehead.

"Dad, I'm really sorry about — "

"There is not a scale available with which I can accurately measure how much I want you to shut the *bleep* up right now, but trust me when I say it is in your best interests to do so," he said calmly.

"Okay."

"Okay. I understand you love the Chargers. You root for them; you want them to win. It kills you when they lose. But let me tell you a little story. Back when I was practicing medicine in Oklahoma, there was a doc in obstetrics who used to like to go to titty bars. And there was this particular titty bar not too far from the hospital where he'd go every chance he got. And this was Oklahoma, which ain't exactly the big leagues of titty bars. I shouldn't say that, that's rude. Anyhow, this doc, he got real sweet on one of the strippers there. And he started coming back from lunch and telling everybody how he was sure this girl was sweet on him too, and that she was telling him he was different than the other guys, and blahbitty *bleep*' blah. This goes on for a few months. Then, on Valentine's Day, he shows up at the titty bar with a bunch of flowers to ask this stripper to be his girl or whatever. Guess what happened."

"She said no."

"No. He never even asked her, 'cause when he walked in she was grinding her ass on some guy's hard-on. He took a swing at this fella and got a beer bottle to the head, like an asshole. Which, for future reference, is the only way you can get a beer bottle to the head: like an asshole," he said.

"Wow. That sucks."

"Not really, because he was a stupid sonofabitch. What he failed to recognize — that any sane human being would — is that a stripper is always gonna be just nice enough to you to keep you coming back, but at the end of the day, she doesn't give a *bleep* about you. You're just a hard-on she rubs up on for money. That's her job. And guess what? That's the same goddamn way the San Diego Chargers and any other team feels about you. So the next time you want to get up and kick something, remember this: Your favorite team don't give a *bleep* about you, so why the hell should you let them ruin your day? Or, more important, destroy a sacred bottle of bourbon?"

I thought a moment. "What happened to that doctor?"

"He became the head of obstetrics. His name's Hal Ashland.1 Good guy."

Today, the Chargers are threatening to move to another city if they don't get a new stadium. Fans in San Diego are calling radio shows and writing angry blog posts, saying that if the Chargers left they'd feel devastated and betrayed. And that behavior is no different than that of most sports fans around the country. Every time our favorite team does something selfish, for purely business reasons, we take it personally. Because we want to believe that they love us as much as we love them. But they don't. They just rub up against whoever has the most money. So if we choose to be Hal Ashland, let's stop getting surprised every time we get a beer bottle to the head.

Discuss hmm

Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Your favorite team doesn't give a damn about you Empty Re: Your favorite team doesn't give a damn about you

Post by Lex Tue May 15, 2012 12:10 am

The bit with the pillow had me roaring with laughter Laughing
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Your favorite team doesn't give a damn about you Empty Re: Your favorite team doesn't give a damn about you

Post by Le Samourai Tue May 15, 2012 12:18 am

American "football" :vagi:
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 15, 2012 12:52 am

Le Samourai wrote:American "football" :vagi:

Clearly you recognized the point of the article :I'munoriginal:
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Tue May 15, 2012 2:15 am

There is some truth in that. But, i doubt most people root for a team expecting something in return.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Tue May 15, 2012 2:19 am

You team sure do care about you, they win matches for your sake
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Chelsea

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue May 15, 2012 2:21 am

Idrisozet wrote:You team sure do care about you, they win matches for your sake
So they don't win to, like, get payed?

:vagi:
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue May 15, 2012 2:23 am

Haha I kick pillows all the time watching Barca if the game is on TV...

That speech was great :lol!:
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by justdoit_ Tue May 15, 2012 2:27 am

It's true. Money makes the world go 'round. No point in denying it.
justdoit_
justdoit_
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Tue May 15, 2012 2:30 am

Don't really care for American football or club loyalty but that is one hilarious rant, gonna pin down titty bar routine for future use.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 15, 2012 2:33 am

@BC - are these socio things any different from holding stock in any sort of company? I know Bayern for example are basically run like a non-publicly-listed corporation, so that still comes back to money as the motive

Of course I'm sure you're right to some degree, especially the lower down the food chain you go, so to speak..

But among the big clubs, Barca/Madrid are definitely the exception rather than the rule (agree?)

And even in the case of Barca/Madrid...I'm sure these socios have to pay to own or hold stake/membership of the club no? So how is that different? It still comes down to the club's interest being firmly grounded in money

Last edited by BhritanniaBhlue on Tue May 15, 2012 2:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue May 15, 2012 2:33 am

Difference is every NFL franchise is a business, while a lot of the teams in European and SA football are an extension of the communities and the community own them as partners (called socios in Spanish).
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 15, 2012 2:43 am

They don't win matches for you sake lol...They win so that they can make money

Did you read the article?

Do you think strippers care about you? After all, they take off their clothes for your sake hmm
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue May 15, 2012 3:21 am

I could never imagine a European football team moving to a different state or different city for financial reasons.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Tue May 15, 2012 3:24 am

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:

They don't win matches for you sake lol...They win so that they can make money

Did you read the article?

Do you think strippers care about you? After all, they take off their clothes for your sake hmm

it's a two way thing, striper actually do care about you, but it depends in what ways...? scratch
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue May 15, 2012 3:33 am

Forza Rossoneri wrote:I could never imagine a European football team moving to a different state or different city for financial reasons.
You could also say the same about them changing their shirt color for business reasons, but apparently that's happening too.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Tue May 15, 2012 3:35 am

But Cristiano said he did it for the fans :vagi:
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Tue May 15, 2012 3:37 am

Rebaño Sagrado wrote:But Cristiano said he did it for the fans :vagi:

:vagi:
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 15, 2012 3:45 am

Forza Rossoneri wrote:I could never imagine a European football team moving to a different state or different city for financial reasons.

Sort of an apples and oranges situation

Soccer is so pervasive in European sports, just look at England...every freaking city/town you go to there's a professional team playing at some level, thats not the case in the U.S - here there are cities with over a million people without major sports teams....LA has 15 million people in their metropolitan area yet they don't have an NFL team - thats mostly because they are all soulless fame-suckers but you see my point....15 million and no freaking NFL team? Are there cities of more than 100 thousand in England without a soccer team in their metropolitan area? I'd be shocked if there were

In American sports, if a team is going the way of Portsmouth, they can up and move to a different city in hopes of a more favorable atmosphere, because there are cities with literally millions of people who don't have one or more professional sports teams....You simply don't have that in a place like England

Also as BC mentioned American sports are franchised, there are significant differences between that system and the european club-system (regardless of who they are owned by)
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Tue May 15, 2012 8:05 am

I guess he wrote that article when his team flopped badly.

I do same thing when my team loses. give up and sleep better

if the guy thinks the team should care about us then he has no idea
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Tue May 15, 2012 8:56 am

sadly they dont, and neither do our fav players.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue May 15, 2012 9:28 am

US teams =/= European teams owned by private investors =/= European Clubs owned by it's members.

Barça would never, ever, move to another town. The board of directors cares a lot about their fans because they pay the club, and more importantly the president of the club is our bitch, because we voted him, and if we don't like him, we'll kick him out. He'd better start licking us.

I agree that the players don't care about the fans; it's normal, they don't know them personally and it's their job.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Tue May 15, 2012 12:32 pm

That a good read. It's more to do with American sports though and how franchised it is. Me and my friend at work were actually discussing this. We were talking about how the Seattle Supersonics have become OKC Thunder and how the Lakers originated in Minnesota etc. Alienating all their hometown fans who grew up supporting them. It's messed up.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Tue May 15, 2012 12:35 pm

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:

Sort of an apples and oranges situation

Soccer is so pervasive in European sports, just look at England...every freaking city/town you go to there's a professional team playing at some level, thats not the case in the U.S - here there are cities with over a million people without major sports teams....LA has 15 million people in their metropolitan area yet they don't have an NFL team - thats mostly because they are all soulless fame-suckers but you see my point....15 million and no freaking NFL team? Are there cities of more than 100 thousand in England without a soccer team in their metropolitan area? I'd be shocked if there were

In American sports, if a team is going the way of Portsmouth, they can up and move to a different city in hopes of a more favorable atmosphere, because there are cities with literally millions of people who don't have one or more professional sports teams....You simply don't have that in a place like England

Also as BC mentioned American sports are franchised, there are significant differences between that system and the european club-system (regardless of who they are owned by)

Didn't the Raiders used to be in LA before moving to Oakland?
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue May 15, 2012 12:42 pm

The whole concept of clubs moving towns is ridiculous to the European mind, and with good reason.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next