Le Samourai
RealGunner
Jay29
97 posters

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Three Lions - Page 5 Empty Re: The Three Lions

Post by ExtremistEnigma Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:31 am

Yeah right.. the inexperienced Barkley and Cleverley are better options than Milner at the WC.

ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:16 pm

experience is such a lame excuse to take a player, you take the most on form/best players that is what all the best teams do, Germany, Netherlands, Spain they all take there best players no matter of age or "experience"....plus England ain't going to win the damn tournament so might as well get the next generation the playing time.
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:38 pm

ExtremistEnigma wrote:Yeah right.. the inexperienced Barkley and Cleverley are better options than Milner at the WC.
I think that is the biggest failure of the English NT coaches - "experience" / "big names" instead of taking a risk and taking young, hungry players along.

E.g. in the 2010 World Cup, Löw nominated a Nr.1 GK who just had 9 caps at that time. Thomas Müller and several of the other players didn't have many more senior caps or even less.

Or if you look at the WWC2013 - the English coach there made the same mistake as the coach of the guys and took along mainly players of the Top4 teams, even though they were still injured, instead of taking the top scorer of the league along. On the other side, the German coach had to face 7 injuries of experienced starters and she even took several players along who got their first cap in the World Cup. Result - England dropped out last of their group while the German NT won.

I think the English NT coaches need to be a bit more adventurous. I bet young and hungry players will likely not fail as hard as big name players who aren't really interested in playing for the country and rather try not to get injured for their clubs.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:53 pm

I agree with RWO.

Too often we have taken players that are not that good blocking the path to more enthusiastic and talented younger players.

I understand with the likes of Gerrard and Cole because they are probably two of our best players and it would be a lot to expect for the youngsters to be better.

But with the likes of Milner and in the past Barry it would be much better using more talented and younger players with something to prove.

So i'm happy with this latest squad and seeing some younger players given their chance, hopefully the theme will continue in future squads with some of the U21 guys also earning their chance.

Its the only way we will progress as a nation.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:16 pm

If you go by that, then even Woy did select many youngsters back in Euro 2012. But the thing is, the likes of Barkley etc. have not even had professional experience. Muller had already broken out before World Cup under van Gaal and was immense that season. Spain won three consecutive trophies at the international level with experienced folks.

I have no issues with guys like Wilshere getting into the team since they really do deserve based upon their talent. But when you're thinking of playing youngsters just for the sake of them, then that's ludicrous.

I think the main problem with England is obviously not being able to develop technically talented players right from the grassroots level and technically inept managers. Though there's no denying that England does have a good bunch of technical talent (for the starting 11 anyways) at this moment. Just need(ed) a technically sound manager. Bielsa, perhaps? Laughing
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:26 pm

there is a full season before WC....many of these younger players including Barkley are going to see a lot more game time this season at there clubs....Barkley will probably start most weeks for Martinez
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:07 pm

no Rooney, Wilshere, Johnson for England this week.....going to be tough

good thing GOATridge is in fine form
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:27 pm

You better hope that Joe Hart will get his act together again.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:32 pm

rwo power wrote:You better hope that Joe Hart will get his act together again.
Frazier Forster will save us Proud
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:22 pm

You really think your coach will choose a player like him for a qualification match, no matter whether he might be an interesting option or not? He doesn't play for a big English club after all.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:29 pm

rwo power wrote:You really think your coach will choose a player like him for a qualification match, no matter whether he might be an interesting option or not? He doesn't play for a big English club after all.
he stone walled the great Barca....but I think Hart will play tbh....there is stupid loyalty to players in form or not
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Well, if you ask me, Joe Hart needs some pressure from another good GK. Right now he gets complacent as he doesn't feel that his spot might be in danger, no matter how he plays. So imo giving Joe Hart a little rest might actually do him good.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Are you *bleep* in the head Jones? Clubber

*bleep* Jones, sell him! Fast!

Rooney via Facebook wrote:Some people seem to be questioning my commitment to the England squad and the fact I had to pull out of the 2 games. There's nothing I would like more than to be helping the lads in the qualifiers. I'm sure people will see from these images the reason why I won't be able to play.
The Three Lions - Page 5 12716910

The Three Lions - Page 5 12369611
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Greg Dyke, the chairman of the FA, just gave a massive speech on the state of English international football.

In a lengthy and wide-ranging speech at a launch for journalists hosted by the national team sponsors Vauxhall at Millbank Tower, Dyke laid out his vision for the future.

While the central theme of his speech was addressing the "frightening trend" of the reduction in the number of English players in the Premier League, he also set the bar very high for the standard by which England need to be measured.

"The two targets I have for the England team are – one, to at least reach the semi-finals of Euro 2020," said Dyke. "Two, win the World Cup in 2022."

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar has already caused controversy, with Dyke himself calling for it to be moved to winter due to the extreme high temperatures during the summer.

The 2020 European Championship will for the first time be held at stadiums across Europe rather than in just one or two countries.

Dyke highlighted what he sees as a "frightening trend" of young English players who are not getting the chance to play at the top level. Dyke said the FA would be "letting the country and thousands of England fans down" if the problem was not remedied. "English football is a tanker that needs turning," Dyke added.

Dyke said the Premier League – of which he was part of the formation in 1992 – had become the most successful league in the world and he had no wish to "kill the golden goose in the search for the golden egg." However, he said the England team had "become the victim of unintended consequences".

"Last season, 32% of Premier League players were English," said Dyke. "Do we let the trend continue or do we do something about it? What happens when the number goes from 32 to 25 to 20 to 15? Do we still ignore the problem or do we act now?"

England coaches and players have always claimed top home-grown players will end up playing for their national team regardless of the number of foreigners in the league. Dyke doubts whether that is the case, though. "Gary Neville said the cream will always rise to the top, but I'm not so sure," he said.

Dyke was at pains to say that his speech was not an attack on the Premier League but he did suggest that Premier League clubs are not helping English players with their transfer policy. "It's so much easier to sign someone from overseas," he said.

Dyke said he would be setting up a commission, which will include the chairmen of the Premier League, the Football League, the League Managers' Association and the Professional Footballers' Association, calling on other interested parties as well, to answer three questions.

"Why has it happened?," said Dyke. "What can be done? How can you make changes?

"The FA has to up its game but all of English football has a problem. All of English football has to find a solution."
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/04/greg-dyke-england-world-cup-qatar-2022?CMP=twt_gu

Better late than never.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:43 pm

I just read the followup to that article and almost cracked up at this suggestion:
RedOnFire wrote:The answer to our problems is obvious. Invade a talented football nation, declare the country British and then play their team as ours. Simple.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:33 pm

I'll believe it when i see it honestly.

Everyone knows English football is rotten from top to bottom, but do they have any clue on what the issues are?

Time will tell.

It would definitely nice to have a national team to be proud of though and not having a load of overrated egocentric and overpaid idiots.( i held back with idiots Laughing)

I haven't been proud of the national team since i was about 10 years old maybe younger.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:55 pm

England team to play Moldova:

Hart

Walker - Cahill - Jagielka - Cole

Lampard - Gerrard - Wilshere

Walcott - Lambert - Welbeck

Welbeck on the left again. Neutral

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:33 pm

Lambert ffs Proud
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:44 am

Welbeck scores 2

pls go haters
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:54 am

Stevie again the difference Proud
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:32 am

guys watch England U-21's practiCe freekick

that Ameobi guy is WICKED

aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:47 pm

England squad

Goalkeepers: Hart, Forster, Ruddy

Defenders: Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling, Walker, Cole, Baines

Midfielders: Carrick, Gerrard, Cleverley, Lampard, Wilshere, Barkley, Milner, Townsend

Forwards: Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Defoe, Lambert

U21 squad

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Jonathan Bond, George Long

Defenders: Eric Dier, Michael Keane, Josh Stones, Carl Jenkinson, Jack Robinson, Luke Shaw

Midfielders: Nathaniel Chalobah, Tom Carroll, James Ward-Prowse, Ravel Morrison, Will Hughes

Wingers: Sammy Ameobi, Tom Ince, Jesse Lingard, Nathan Redmond, Raheem Sterling, Wilfirend Zaha

Forwards: Nick Powell, Harry Kane, Danny Ings, Saido Berahino

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:19 pm

Gibbs is better than both Cole and Baines. No idea what he has to do to get in the squad.

Good to see no Ferdinand.

Barkley called up and i guess deservedly so. Very weak on the wings with only Townsend in the squad. Welbeck will probably be used as a winger.

Rooney and Sturridge should start. Lambert? i guess to fill in the numbers.

U21

Ravel called up and rightfully. Has been decent for West ham. I like the midfielders. All very good with the ball.

Good wingers. Hopefully Lingard starts over Zaha but unlikely.

Berahino :bow:

No idea who Danny Ings is. Should have called Akpom over Harry Kane
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:34 pm

Gibbs probably won't get into the squad until either Cole retires from international football or Baines' form drops dramatically. We do need to win these two games, too, so Coles/Baines was always going to win out. I can't imagine Gibbs being too far off if he keeps up this form, though.

Our flanks would look stronger if Walcott and Chamberlain were fit. I think I would have called up one of Zaha or Sterling, though, just to give us another option with some pace.

I'm wondering what Hodgson will do to get Rooney and Sturridge in the same side; whether he'll play with one of them on the flanks or if he'll drop a midfielder so he can play two up front. I'll go nuts if Welbeck somehow starts.

I'd go with:

Hart

Walker - Cahill - Jagielka - Cole

Townsend - Gerrard - Carrick - Wilshere

Rooney - Sturridge

Danny Ings has 10 goals in 13 games for Burnley this season. He's pretty much the in-form U21 striker at the moment, along with Berahino.

The U21s should score tons of goals, as they're playing San Marino and Lithuania and have a fair amount of flair and creativity in the squad.

Butland

Jenkinson - Keane - Dier - Shaw

Ward-Prowse - Chalobah

Zaha - Ince - Redmond

Berahino

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:36 pm

I think your coach made a mistake in the numerous friendlies before the qualifiers - he really should have tried options other than Joe Hart in goal then. Now he is left no real choice but using Hart despite his current drop in form as the other goalies never had the chance to get experience to play for the NT.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:40 pm

Tbf Forster has played Barcelona and Milan in last few years among others..... its highly unlikely Macedonia and Poland are going to provide anything he hasn't seen before in the CL.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next