4th in La Liga, the best race in Europe?

+47
Die Borussen
Arquitecto
Onyx
Tifoso Romanista
the xcx
vivabarca38
Doc
Körbl
kiranr
iftikhar
Patrick Bateman
Blue Barrett
che
donttreadonred
Pedram
adnyana179
Lex
McAgger
EarlyPrototype
urbaNRoots
Lord Hades
Zealous
Funkentelechy
Lord Awesome
Le Samourai
Adrian0911
guest7
punkfusion1992
dronte
Magricos
julias
aunshi
halamadrid2
Great Leader Sprucenuce
S32TABLANCA
Albiceleste
StevieRayVaughan
VanDeezNuts
Ganso
Mr Nick09
El Chelsea Fuerte
RealGunner
The Franchise
Rebaño Sagrado
Sushi Master
BarrileteCosmico
Dnmac4
51 posters

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

4th in La Liga, the best race in Europe? Empty 4th in La Liga, the best race in Europe?

Post by Dnmac4 Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:08 pm

I know most people on here only watch La Liga when Barcelona or Real Madrid are playing or they don't watch it at all for what ever reason.

But IMO this year a great race for 4th is going on right now and no one is paying attention and it's going to have a big impact on Spain and Europe for next year and years to come.

Right now it's a 4 team race for 4th and I feel great because I predicted Bilbao would claim it at the beginning of the year and they are in position and playing better every week under Bielsa.

Here are the 4 teams and the impact it will have on Spain/Europe should they get 4th.

Atletico Madrid- IF they win today (1-1 right now) they will be in the drivers seat on 34 points. I have always thought if someone could get them to play up to there talent they can cause some major problems in the CL and La Liga for that matter, I think people also forget they are one of the biggest clubs in Europe. I think people sometimes forget they are not afraid to spend money and getting a CL spot would help them attract a couple more big names as right now there attack is deadly, they have a great keeper and talent all through there midfield and defense and with one or two more big signings Europe may need to watch out.

Espanyol- No offense and I'm not saying this because I'm a Barca fan but it would be bad for La Liga and a waste of a CL spot if they were to pull it out and land in 4th. They don't have the money or pulling power to stay there and IMO would lose in the qualification stages. They are currently tied for the 4th spot but again it would be bad for everyone should they hold on. IT's a great story, but I hope it ends soon.

Athletic Bilbao- I love this team and picked them to place 4th before the year started. I really want to see how a team like Bilbao with there team made all from local players would do in the CL and it would mean a ton for there fans as well. They are really gelling right now and no one wants to play them. IMO I wish more clubs were run like them but it's so hard as they produce some great great players all from right near there home. They have young talent, old talent and some borderline world class players. I don't know what the influx of cash would do for them probably not much but with there coach and players staying there they have a current crop of players to be a real problem for La Liga mainly and for the CL I would hope they could go on a nice run but would never be a huge threat unless they changed there ways and brought in some talent from outside there borders. Again I would love to see them finish 4th but for the good of La Liga it probably would be counter productive.

Malaga- They are the huge wild card and would probably be the best team for La Liga to get in to the CL as they could jump start there rise to being a power in Spain and start to bring in world class players. Right now they are kind of a nice vacation place to live for older players and have some good young talents as well but with CL qualification they could start bringing in some really good players to go with some of the really good players they already have. IMO the rest of Europe should hope they don't get fourth as they will start to sign really good players that other teams used to be able to get and they have IMO one of the best managers in Europe in Manuel Pellegrini. Them finishing 4th without a doubt would be great for La Liga and IMO a top 4 of Real, Barca, Valencia, and Malaga/Atletico would be on par with any other top 4 in Europe.

If Atletico or Malaga can get 4th La Liga IMO will be back and if they can stay in 4th for the next couple of years they will turn into very dangerous teams not only in Spain but in all of Europe. Then you would have the likes of Bilbao, Sevilla, Espanyol, fighting for 4th and also fighting in the Europa League Spain would turn into more then a 2 horse race and that is better for all the teams in Spain.

So some of you people who wont watch La Liga that's fine, but this year will be a major turning point for the league and some of the teams in it and it may effect your teams as well if they go after the same players or have to face them in the future. So MArk my words if the right teams can get into that 4th spot then the days of La Liga being a 2 team League (which I never thought it was) will be over.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

4th in La Liga, the best race in Europe? Empty Re: 4th in La Liga, the best race in Europe?

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:15 pm

I disagree that it's bad for La Liga if Espanyol gets it, even though I don't think they will. Your argument that they wouldn't go very far and they wouldn't be able to attract top talent is a fair one, for leagues that actually need the lower-table teams to carry the coefficient forward. We all know that this is not a problem in La Liga though, since Barca and Real are guaranteed to make it far, so the difference they would make would only be marginal. So why shouldn't the most deserving team make it?

Anyways it's a great race, there are about 6 teams right now that are within 3 points of the 4th spot, very close race indeed.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

4th in La Liga, the best race in Europe? Empty Re: 4th in La Liga, the best race in Europe?

Post by Sushi Master Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Who gives a frack about la Liga.

Have you seen what the Bundesliga table looks like? 1st to 4th are wide frakking open.

But yeah, 4th spot for La Liga ain't bad at all. Málaga needs to get in there if they weren't so shit.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:22 pm

What about Levante hmm

Espanyol are solid defensively(Hector Moreno :bow:),but they are really struggling to create and score goals.
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Maybe just me, but im thinking it will go down to wire between Bilbao and Athletico.

I think the others will still be in it, but I think those two have the biggest chance.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:24 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I disagree that it's bad for La Liga if Espanyol gets it, even though I don't think they will. Your argument that they wouldn't go very far and they wouldn't be able to attract top talent is a fair one, for leagues that actually need the lower-table teams to carry the coefficient forward. We all know that this is not a problem in La Liga though, since Barca and Real are guaranteed to make it far, so the difference they would make would only be marginal. So why shouldn't the most deserving team make it?

Anyways it's a great race, there are about 6 teams right now that are within 3 points of the 4th spot, very close race indeed.

The reason I say Espanyol is a waste is because it would stunt other teams growth should they get the 4th spot.

I'm not talking about coefficents because IMO La Liga will never have to worry about that as Madrid and Barca will always do good in the CL and other teams in our league genuinely do try to win Europa league and value it as a tournament so again we don't ever have to wory about losing a CL spot IMO.

My point is that Malaga and Atletico Madrid will spend money and build up there teams weather they get 4th or not, so if one of them did, they have the firepower to turn themselves into a force in Europe and could do so a lot more quickly if they had CL qualification behind them when going after players where as Espanyol would be a nice story but that's about it and would hinder the progression of Malaga and Atletico.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:27 pm

Rebaño Sagrado wrote:What about Levante hmm

Espanyol are solid defensively(Hector Moreno :bow:),but they are really struggling to create and score goals.

I just don't think Levante will last. They are being propped up by that great start they had but if they continue on there form since that start they will keep falling down the table.

Kudos to them for a great year but I just don't think it's sustainable and that's why I didn't include them. But yes your right, they are in a better position on this day then some of the teams I mentioned.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:29 pm

Great thread, I personally hope Atletico gets it cause its always good to see them in Europe
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:29 pm

Poor man's PL 4th race (Newcastle, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea).

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:32 pm

I personally think Atletico will take it, the way Falcao is back at scoring and their newly found form will make a difference. Their defense is also stronger than Bilbao's who i think are their main rival.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:35 pm

Coutinho to lead Espanyol to CL glory :bow:

I think Bilbao will get the spot
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:39 pm

i think bilbao are the strongest atm, but i hope malaga can string some form together because they have the players, and coach as well as the money to bring in more players if they snatch the CL spot.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieRayVaughan Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:21 pm

I am confident that we can get the fourth place this season. Our defence looks pretty solid now, and we also create quite a few chances. We just need time to gel properly since our team is relatively new this year. Also, its always good to see our of our heroes as the coach of your team. He seems really passionate. Falcao is looking good, but I am just concerned about Turan and the inconsistency of Diego. But we do have the money to spend, and if we make it to the CL, I am sure we will.

StevieRayVaughan
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Bilbao will get the spot I predict.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by S32TABLANCA Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:32 pm

I agree, in fact for me this whole Liga this year is amazing. Very Happy

Well, I predicted Levante would fall eventually and Atleti would take the fourth spot, so as much as I fancy Bilbao for that spot, I will stick to my guns. Though right now I dont think that will happen.
S32TABLANCA
S32TABLANCA
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Albiceleste wrote:Bilbao will get the spot I predict.

would you have predicted the same if Bielsa was Brazilian? Laughing
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Poor mans race for 4th in PL, it does look good though Very Happy
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Nopp in LaLiga 7 teams within 3 points of 4th place, PL 3 teams within 3 points of 4th place
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:
Albiceleste wrote:Bilbao will get the spot I predict.

would you have predicted the same if Bielsa was Brazilian? Laughing
atleti for 4th spot if biesla is brazilian :coffee: Simeone :bow:

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by aunshi Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:54 pm

The La liga race is better than the PL's because Chelsea and Arsenal seem to be actively trying to avoid 4th place.

aunshi
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by julias Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14 pm

nice thread, I would love for either atletico or bilbao to take it, I wanna see one of those teams in the CL next seaso
julias
julias
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:22 pm

aunshi wrote:The La liga race is better than the PL's because Chelsea and Arsenal seem to be actively trying to avoid 4th place.

This. It just seems like a who can do worse competitipn.

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by dronte Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Well there may be many teams at equal pts in La Liga but that doesn't mean its exciting.. The average quality of those teams are not really high, I'm sure the traditionally better teams will get it (my vote goes for Atletico because their squad is a lot better than the others)
I find Serie A-s top3 finish a lot more interesting, especially the run for the 3rd place Lazio, Udinese, Inter, Roma and Napoli fighting for the CL spot.. That's exciting.
The Premier League 4th place fight looks really interesting too, but La Liga, no.

dronte
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:39 pm

dronte wrote:Well there may be many teams at equal pts in La Liga but that doesn't mean its exciting.. The average quality of those teams are not really high

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by punkfusion1992 Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:12 pm

Espanyol have one of the best teams in laliga atm
the likes of Veiss, Thievy, Alvaro, Casilla, and the superb Javi Marquez make them a formidable side
and Mauro Pochettino is a fantastic coach

on another note kudos to Jose Luis Mendilibar for his fantastic work with Osasuna, thats really one of his best functions
get the best of a very weak team and they are really going for that UCL spot
punkfusion1992
punkfusion1992
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next