Harmonica
free_cat
billy_gr
Arquitecto
15 posters

Go down

Messi's New Attitude  Empty Messi's New Attitude

Post by Arquitecto Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:40 am

Guys, for the few of you who know me, you know I'm not here to troll. I just want to point out something that is not being criticized or at least being observed enough and this is Messi's strange new behavior when playing games of any spectrum.

We all know Messi has the quiet, humble, kind and hard working man he is along with his dedication to the Blaugrana colors.

But just recently as its around into past the first 5-10 games of the season, he has developed a new behavior.

This involves him being generally disinterested, not working towards the ball as much as he should, and visually walking around like he owns the pitch.

Many of the games where points were lost such as against Espanyol, Osasuna, yesterday, and especially against the loss where Getafe won 1-0.

I can name a couple of more.

Point to note is he usually steps up his work rate near the end of the game when he knows his team needs him in dire situations. But this isn't very professional.

Some might say: "But he is still performing" or "its our teammates fault" or any other reason.

But with someone of Messi's talent, even when you are working below your standard work rate, you still cause havoc around the pitch.

Recent examples of such players are Baggio and Laudrup who never worked at even above 90%.

Yes, it might be the over reliance on him due to the goal-drought/injury crisis, or that it could actually be the 4 years on literally non-stop play for club and country have waned his energy.

Or it could be that he is slowly pulling a Ronaldinho in the context that he is satiated with what he has won. (This point I highly doubt due to Messi's superb competitiveness)

It could also be that after years and years of critical acclaim, plaudits and the untouchable status given by the club, Pep and his decisions have caught up to him in giving him a certain sense of ego.

Keep in mind I'm just speculating in my points yet all of you would know better in the inner workings of Barca.

Point being, it most definitely is a concern no matter how you look at it.

Or maybe I'm just expecting to much from him as a player.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Messi's New Attitude  Empty Re: Messi's New Attitude

Post by billy_gr Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:13 am

To be honest, I have noticed the change of his approach of the game but I don’t think it is (or I hope it isn’t) a change in his mentality.
I think he is as motivated as he were but two major factor play a role in this change.

Constant presence in the starting 11 resulting to him being tired (no matter if he demands to play or not) and psychological pressure to score (we are really dependent on Messi’s goalscoring abilities).

When Pedro and Villa last year were finding the nets often he seemed more free/relieved to me
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:34 am

What you say it is true. However, Messi does this every season. For some particular reason, he goes a slump of games in which he looks uninterested, demotivated, or tired.

We don't know the reason why he is getting less involved and running so little. It might be an attitude problem, but it can well be a physical problem (being not fit enough). Vs. Getafe, it was so painfully obvious that he wasn't running at all that I think he probably was still ill from the reported virus he had had a few days before.

So, while I agree with you, I trust Messi and think it's not a permanent change in attitude but probably just a slight decrease in motivation saving up his will for the more important matches combined with not being 100% physically.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 am

It's the tiredness.

Since 14.8.2011 (about 5 months)

La Liga 18/18 1560/1620
UCL 5/6 450/540
FCWC 2/2 180/180 Japan
Supercopa 2/2 180/180
Uefa SC 1/1 90/90
CDR 3/5 155/450
WCQ 4/4 360/360 2xSouth America
NT Friendlies 2/2 180/180 India

That's just crazy times.

37/40 games, 3155/3600 minutes. Only games fully rested are pointless CL-game against Bate and easy CDR-games against L'Hospitalet.

Nobody comes even close these play minutes, and when you take account, that Messi has to travel around the world to play NT-games, even on holiday, we are talking serious stress here. I don't wonder, why he doesn't give 100% in every game, and in every time leading he shuts about 11/12 sylinders.

What is even more ridiculous, that even these playing times, he's still clearly most effective player in the world, compared to playing time.

And I think Pep has intructed him not to fight every ball, to conserve energy, so that he may be on the field whenever needed.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:37 am

The injuries of our forwards have caused us to over-play Messi, and our sole reliance on him to score goals while we're second in the league has caused Guardiola to play him every game possible. Chances are he's just tired, I doubt he thinks he owns the world now. If the problem persists, even with rest, then perhaps that is the case, but it's too early to make that call.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:47 am

I think he simply thinks he can stroll around against those teams and get away with it, by turning it on when he needs to. Seen it with tons of players of his type.

Even in other sports do you see it.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamdyman Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:58 pm

"Messi's New Attitude " I disagree here, Messi has been doing this type of thing since the last Season for Rijkaard, its just that not many persons were following him this closely,

i always felt its was "Energy" related, more on the energy conservation for the more important times rather then the lack of Energy.

But lets not forget that Messi tracks back and helps pretty much all over the pitch also, obviously Pep and the rest of the gang can see this and they would have urged him to keep up the pace without the ball all the time if it was having a negative effect.

Im relaxed about those strolls, knowing that when needed, he will explode and make the difference... lets not get greedy, they are humans with with limited stamina at the end of the day.
Hamdyman
Hamdyman
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

I think he does it like others said to conserve his energy since he plays so many games, so when he walks around and can't really get into the game it looks like he is disinterested or demotivated, I think it is just Cesc taking up space in the middle hence it's harder for Messi to get on the ball or find space.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:32 pm

What you say is true arqui. Like others I tend to think it's about conserving energy and saving yourself for the big matches and moments. Last season even Xavi did it and he to my mind is one of the most selfless players ever seen in football.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nirgall Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:07 pm

If there was an attitude problem I would trust guardiola to solve it. Messi has huge respect for him. As it is now, i think it's a deliverate desition from the coach for him to be able to play more matches without risking injuries.
Nirgall
Nirgall
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:18 pm

inbf4moleb4sexhate.

Taking into a account the new formation and that he's not the focal point in attack, that might have an impact on his mentality.

I think Messi revels in high pressure situations, where now with Sanchez and Cesc taking up spaces he's not that key anymore. Barca are just too good, and he's forced to play in a more withdrawn position, or at right wing, no longer the lone 10 with freedom to do whatever he wants.

Messi is suffering :lucas:
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:32 pm

jiopsi wrote:It's the tiredness.

Since 14.8.2011 (about 5 months)

La Liga 18/18 1560/1620
UCL 5/6 450/540
FCWC 2/2 180/180 Japan
Supercopa 2/2 180/180
Uefa SC 1/1 90/90
CDR 3/5 155/450
WCQ 4/4 360/360 2xSouth America
NT Friendlies 2/2 180/180 India

That's just crazy times.

37/40 games, 3155/3600 minutes. Only games fully rested are pointless CL-game against Bate and easy CDR-games against L'Hospitalet.

Nobody comes even close these play minutes, and when you take account, that Messi has to travel around the world to play NT-games, even on holiday, we are talking serious stress here. I don't wonder, why he doesn't give 100% in every game, and in every time leading he shuts about 11/12 sylinders.

What is even more ridiculous, that even these playing times, he's still clearly most effective player in the world, compared to playing time.

And I think Pep has intructed him not to fight every ball, to conserve energy, so that he may be on the field whenever needed.

YEAH !! He is still a human , as much as good he is . He plays too much, never get substituted. I hope sanchez start to score ... will take off pressure from him a bit. also fabregas has to keep scoring .
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 pm

I also noticed that he doesnt run or work much. many reasons
-tired
-bored
-illness
-tactical task
-energy saving
-i'm boss here (for new comers)
-Fabregas thing (after watching his lazy behaviors i also would not run much)

so which is true nobody knows. but overall team pressing is decreased compared last season. everybody were talking about barca's pressing last season this season nobody remember it. i hope pedro comes back soon
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:16 am

Lool! Well I hope the above are true as u guys mentioned, a combination of things which are "good intended" and nothing like starting to get bored or ego or lazy.... initially I thought its probably tiredness too, but has anyoen noticed that even in games that we are like 3-4 nil up, Messi rarely gets taken off early? And in unimportant matches, he often come on 60th min or so even when we are leading and comfortable. It would then seem strange to me that hes tired. Hes an important, fit and strong as a beast, so im not so sure about the tirdness thing. Energy conservationb during a match, and his changing role at times withtin the team as mentioned could be factors too.

Its concerning though as times this season, and its happening a bit more than usual. But the past 5-10 games were really X'mas and New Year time Razz As long as he picks it up again again full throttle till the end of season he should be fine Razz As its only the Euro Championships and he will get a long needed rest, after winning us the Treble hopefully Very Happy
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:05 pm

I thought his attitude was shocking against Getafe and Espanyol.
I dont think its entirely energy conservation.
Its no coincidence that in both those games he played right forward and Cesc played false nine.
Right now I dont think he likes playing out wide.So his poor attitude might have been a consequence of being played out wide.
Or again it could be tiredness.
But its refreshing that he stepped it up in the 2 Clasico's and was decisive.
Whats more in both the Clasico's he showed terrific attitude.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down