Maradona vs R9

Maradona vs R9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap54%Maradona vs R9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 13 ]
Maradona vs R9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap46%Maradona vs R9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 24

Maradona vs R9 - Page 2 Empty Re: Maradona vs R9

Post by The Franchise Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:29 am

I dont know and neither do most of you is my guess.

I seriously question how many have watched more then 10 Maradona games fully, heck, maybe even 5 games.

The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:35 am

The Franchise wrote:I dont know and neither do most of you is my guess.

I seriously question how many have watched more then 10 Maradona games fully, heck, maybe even 5 games.

True. I watched more than most since i'm 39. He was one of the main guys back in my teenage years. I also lived right on the border of France and Italy, so i could get Italian TV. TV coverage wasn't huge back then... but i saw all the European, WC and some Serie A games of his.

Interestingly, he was never considered the best in the world until after the 1986 WC (age of 26). His WC success is really what got him the big reputation. That + Platini declining in 1986 and retiring in 1987 (Platini was 32 in 1987).

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:41 am

That is one of my problems here. I never saw Maradona live I downloaded games and watched them over, but never saw enough of him.

Judging Ronaldo over his trophies is harsh. Cristiano Ronaldo has something like 97 goals and 25 assists in 100 games he will go down as one of the greatest goal scorers though after 2 seasons he still has not won anything noteworthy and if he continues to bang in 40+ goals every season for the next 3-4 seasons and he still doesn't win anything noteworthy where as someone like Gomez who may win countless Bundesliga titles by then will not be considered the better player just because he won more titles. Just an example though.

I get that Maradona carried teams single handed, but doesn't make him a better player than R9 even if he is imo.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by The BoyWonder Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:16 am

Lionel Messi wrote:I actually lol'd at the "Goal.com: Player of a decade: Winner 2000-2010"

I bet you didn't lol at the fact that messi was 3rd, or even if he was voted 1st. :facepalm:

The BoyWonder
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by The BoyWonder Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:23 am

some people here havent watched ron or was just too young to remember him when he was ruling football

here is what people who are a lot smarter than u probably as they are in the game:

“He’s the best striker I’ve ever seen.”
Lionel Messi

“Ronaldo is the man and I don’t care what y’all say. [He’s the] best striker ever, hands down, and anyone who doesn’t agree has problems.”
Jozy Altidore

“He went to Holland, Spain and Italy and enhanced the reputation of Brazilian football in all three countries. He came back home and breathed new life into the Brazilian championship and Corinthians. Brazilian people should be grateful for what he’s done for our football.”
Pele

“He was a one-off in terms of ability and had the skill to turn a half-chance into an incredible goalscoring opportunity. He was phenomenal when one-on-one with the goalkeeper. Those who saw him play know what I’m talking about. It’s not easy to put it into words, but I’m not exaggerating by any means.”
Zinedine Zidane

“I’d like to have played alongside him, because I’d have been able to put him through on goal all the time. He’s always in the right place to receive the ball and he thinks really quickly. It wasn’t by chance that he was the world’s best player on several occasions. He also did his bit for A Seleção, being a part of two World Cup wins and one second place. He even went on to become the highest scorer in World Cup history. That was a phenomenal feat, in keeping with his nickname.”
Zico

“I didn’t need any time to gel when playing alongside Ronaldo. He knew how I played and I knew where he liked to receive the ball. It was very easy to play with him because he was great at finding the right positions both inside and outside the box. As soon as I picked up the ball, he already knew what I was going to do with it.”
Rivaldo

“He was always an example for young people to look up to, for the way he overcame adversity. I was fortunate enough to play alongside him, my idol, for many years and we had so many great times together. He was always an idol of mine and will always be a friend.”
Ronaldinho

“Just as I’d believed he’d be one of the best players in our Seleção back then, I believe that he’s made the right decision now. I understood that if I backed him he’d be an important player for us (in Korea/Japan). I wish him the very best because he remains one of my best and closest friends, and he was a vital player in a triumph that had a huge impact on him and us.”
Luiz Felipe Scolari

“I’m a huge fan of Ronaldo, I’ve followed his career since his time at Barcelona. I once asked my uncle Miguel Angel [Nadal] if I could get a photo with him. So I even got to go in the dressing room and have a photo taken with one of my biggest idols. There’s no doubt that overcoming adversity, making it back to the very top of the game and winning trophies deserves huge credit.”
Rafael Nadal, the tennis superstar whose uncle was a team-mate of Ronaldo’s at Barça

“One of the most talented footballers ever, Ronaldo won two World Cups with A Seleção and remains the leading scorer at World Cup finals. He was already a genuine legend, even while still playing, and exemplified how to overcome adversity. All of us will be eternally grateful for the joy he gave us and what he did to boost Brazil’s prestige.”
Dilma Rousseff, Brazilian President

plus u have countless of other legends saying ronaldo was the greatest player ever or at least on par with him (cafu, roberto carlos, zinedine zidane, maldini, buffon, del piero, ibrahimovic, balotelli, pato, figo, benzema, kahn etc.)

The BoyWonder
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by The BoyWonder Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:32 am

I think Maradona is vastly OVERRATEd, the dude only had one good world cup game and that was against England, and people talk as if he won the world cup 1 vs 11 on the matches. that's bullshit and the napoli years he was only good ín 2 seasons, and most people also forget that napoli team had other great players beside maradona, there was the 3 named MAGICA (Mardona, Giordano, Careca)

and HE WAS FLOP AT BARCELONA, ROnaldo led a much avarage BArcelona RONALDO to European trophies and almost the league title in his 1st and only season as 19 year old teenager.

Ronaldo at 19 was and will never matched/bettered by another player and if it wasn't injuries this WOULD NOT EVEN BE A TOPIC AS TO WHO IS THE GREATEST FOOTBALL PLAYER OF ALL TIMES.

How many careerending injuries did Maradona came back from?
How many times did Maradona win the World's best title?
and how many times did Maradona reach a World CUp final? Ronaldo lead Brazil to 2 WORLD CUP finals singlehandedly...

Fact of the matter is that ROnaldo was unplayable everywhere he went. He conquered Brazil, before Holland, before Spain, before Italy. NONE CAN DO THIS. MARADONA was as i said early a major Barcelona flop. he was only good once he joined Napoli and that great level he had only for 2 seasons and 1 great World CUp.

ROnaldo performed at least for at least 5 years, if you take away the time he spent injured.

The BoyWonder
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by The BoyWonder Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:40 am

lmao at the trophie counts argument.

Since when does winning trophies determine player's greatness?

if u go by that logic then we can as well just say that Busquet is far better player than Ronaldo ever was coz he has won 1 World Cup and is winning mulitple chams league and la liga titles

lmao

what really makes Ronaldo a strong candidate for GREATEST FOOTBALLER OF ALL TIMES is the fact that he was UN-*BLEEP*ING-PLAYABLE, even Maldini, and the other legendary defenders had a hard time against Ronnie.

The BoyWonder
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2