Why do Atletico Madrid always underachieve?

+2
Lord Awesome
Adit
6 posters

Go down

Why do Atletico Madrid always underachieve?  Empty Why do Atletico Madrid always underachieve?

Post by Adit Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:22 pm

No side has more contradictions than Atletico Madrid, the city's eternal under-achievers who live in the shadow of their more illustrious, but perhaps less passionately-supported, neighbours. They are not nicknamed El Pupas, The Jinxed Ones, for nothing: this is the club that gave Raul his first start in football before he became a Real icon, that managed to win the 1974 InterContinental Cup despite never winning the European Cup and had
to sell its captain and best player, Fernando Torres, to make it into the Champions League.Then they sold aguero as well lulz.
Imo,they always had a good to great squad over the years but they never really made a consistent push in the top flight.Whats their problem lol?

ps-they havent won derby in 11 years banana
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Why do Atletico Madrid always underachieve?  Empty Re: Why do Atletico Madrid always underachieve?

Post by Lord Awesome Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:28 pm

Europa League. :coffee:
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Why do Atletico Madrid always underachieve?  Empty Re: Why do Atletico Madrid always underachieve?

Post by Adit Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Yes they have won it,but dont you think they have enough money and squad to push for CL rather than being a Europa contenders for years...

They are the third most earning team in laliga ahead of valencia if i remember correctly.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Absolutely atrocious defense and center midfield.

Oh, and complete lack of balls and drive.

Tottenham of Spain, if you will.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Adit wrote:Yes they have won it,but dont you think they have enough money and squad to push for CL rather than being a Europa contenders for years...

They are the third most earning team in laliga ahead of valencia if i remember correctly.

Yeah, they could do more but Atletico will remain the way they are.

Pushing for CL should be mainstream for teams like Atletico and Valencia since they can't beat the likes of RM and Barca in 38 league games.

I'd say they lack the "Big Team Intimidation". Something Valencia and Porto have for, example.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Spurs of Spain is actually a compliment as least they beat their rivals at least once in 11 years. Neutral

EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieRayVaughan Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Adit wrote:No side has more contradictions than Atletico Madrid, the city's eternal under-achievers who live in the shadow of their more illustrious, but perhaps less passionately-supported, neighbours. They are not nicknamed El Pupas, The Jinxed Ones, for nothing: this is the club that gave Raul his first start in football before he became a Real icon, that managed to win the 1974 InterContinental Cup despite never winning the European Cup and had
to sell its captain and best player, Fernando Torres, to make it into the Champions League.Then they sold aguero as well lulz.
Imo,they always had a good to great squad over the years but they never really made a consistent push in the top flight.Whats their problem lol?

ps-they havent won derby in 11 years banana

Our club's culture is way inferior, we are happy to play second-fiddle to top teams. That is the main problem. We could have had Raul ( would probably have changed the history of spanish league, but no), we had Torres (still hadnt reached his full potential then). We constantly sell players, and buy inferior players to replace them. For example, we sold Jurado last year ( for no *bleep* reason) and bought Juan Fran. The problem is in the mentality of the owners too. If we get a rich owner, who has the desire to be the top team in spain, then we do have the facilities and player talents to achieve it. It takes patience to build, something we lack. We have a good team now, but i wont be surprised if we sell Falcao next year for like 55mil, just for the sake of making profit.

That is the problem of being born into supporting a club, you are too loyal to them ( as i am).

StevieRayVaughan
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieRayVaughan Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Sushi Master wrote:Absolutely atrocious defense and center midfield.

Our defense is better than before, Godin, Dominguez, Silvio, Miranda and Filipe are all good players, imo. For example ( not to taking a jibe at ur club), but i would take this defence over Arsenals, for the sake of comparison. Our CMs on the other hand ( bar Mario suarez, and Koke) are horrible alongside the rest of the back-up squad.

StevieRayVaughan
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:45 pm

Diego and Arda aren't terrible in my eyes.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:47 pm

If i have to buy one Club to build a new "manch city" it will be atletico.Though their under achieving isnt solely due to lack of finance,its a combination of poor coaching and management too.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:47 pm

scratch

Terrible midfield?
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieRayVaughan Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:49 pm

Lord Hispano wrote:Diego and Arda aren't terrible in my eyes.

they are not CMs. Our Attack is actually quite good. Both Diego and Arda are primarily AMs. What i meant to say is that we have JuanFran covering for Arda Turan, which is a huge gap in quality.

StevieRayVaughan
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:49 pm

Mr.Hendrix wrote:

Our defense is better than before, Godin, Dominguez, Silvio, Miranda and Filipe are all good players, imo. For example ( not to taking a jibe at ur club), but i would take this defence over Arsenals, for the sake of comparison. Our CMs on the other hand ( bar Mario suarez, and Koke) are horrible alongside the rest of the back-up squad.
I agree your defense has improved... but a fully fit Arsenal defense is leagues better. Ironically, Arsenal has a deep defense now Laughing

But in any case, your CMs kill you since without a decent midfield you will get run over by the big boys, and by the rest of the Spanish teams. Midfields are very good in La Liga.

@Adit: Terrible center midfield. Complete lack of DMs, too. At AM they are stocked.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:53 pm

I just remembered you guys also have Tiago.

He's okay IMO.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieRayVaughan Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Adit wrote:If i have to buy one Club to build a new "manch city" it will be atletico.Though their under achieving isnt solely due to lack of finance,its a combination of poor coaching and management too.

Mostly poor management, because even though Falcao is brilliant, we paid far too much for him. I mean we made 45 mil for Aguero, and spent all of that for Falcao. That doesn't even make any *bleep* sense. We SOLD Jurado, for no *bleep* reason.

I am sure the reason Aguero left was because of lack of ambition. We could have still bought Arda Turan and kept Jurado. Management is so poor, its unbelievable.

StevieRayVaughan
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieRayVaughan Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Lord Hispano wrote:I just remembered you guys also have Tiago.

He's okay IMO.

If we want to compete at the top, then you have to realize that Taigo cant compete with the likes of Biscuit, Alonso, Sahin etc.

StevieRayVaughan
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:07 pm

Mr.Hendrix wrote:

If we want to compete at the top, then you have to realize that Taigo cant compete with the likes of Biscuit, Alonso, Sahin etc.

True. Though he is good as a squad player IMO.

But yeah, It looks like Atleti's Midfield is the weak point. Everything else seems fine.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Europa League, UEFA Super Cup

Thats more than Real Madrid have won recently

Why does Real Madrid under achieve is the question (considering pay rolls)
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Laughing

Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:18 pm

windkick wrote:Europa League, UEFA Super Cup

Thats more than Real Madrid have won recently

Why does Real Madrid under achieve is the question (considering pay rolls)
The best barca squad of their entire history and we are giving run for their money in all competition,including copa del rey win which is the trophy barca have more than madrid Laughing

Its a matter of time barca being the old barca again Laughing
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:20 pm

I wonder if we'll be thinking the same by the end of the season.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum