Is There A "Correct" Way To Play Football?

+45
InterMalia
JAY-Z
Super_Floren
Lord Spencer
billionmillion
SaintJoe
alexjanosik
billy_gr
Doc
the xcx
Kev
izzy
xabi
matpol
cheesy
Albiceleste
buddytaller
jibers
guest7
free_cat
Babun
VivaStPauli
Freeza
baresi
Gil
che
_LMG_10_
Pedram
kiranr
Eivindo
JuvenelCuore
nichabr
FennecFox7
Arquitecto
Giuvitojuve
Sushi Master
OLpower
Great Leader Sprucenuce
The Franchise
El Chelsea Fuerte
Kevin_Muscat
BeautifulGame
chinomaster182
zizzle
The Madrid One
49 posters

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Whats Your Take On Football?

Is There A "Correct" Way To Play Football? - Page 10 Vote_lcap31%Is There A "Correct" Way To Play Football? - Page 10 Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 16 ]
Is There A "Correct" Way To Play Football? - Page 10 Vote_lcap69%Is There A "Correct" Way To Play Football? - Page 10 Vote_rcap 69% 
[ 35 ]

Total Votes : 51

Is There A "Correct" Way To Play Football? - Page 10 Empty Re: Is There A "Correct" Way To Play Football?

Post by The Madrid One Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:49 pm

jibers wrote:I wasn't bashing barca, they are one of the best teams of all time ffs, that speaks volumes in itself, what annoys me is how they are the appearant standard bearers of free expressive football when they aren't. Guardiola for me is a genius, the man's coaching ability is second to none. I that there is no such thing as anti fooball, teams play to their strengths and look at the oppositions weaknesses, Barcelona never have to do this because, let's be honest, they are a clear level above every other team ande rightly so.

Is There A "Correct" Way To Play Football? - Page 10 Busey_clappingthis is a big point i have inside me. please everyone dont use the term anti football.

its all part of football.

only anti football i know is that of cheating and diving.

The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Back to top Go down

Is There A "Correct" Way To Play Football? - Page 10 Empty Re: Is There A "Correct" Way To Play Football?

Post by The Madrid One Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:50 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:Fair enough, iam still confused at how you took my posts as....

Defensive, not understanding the thread when all i said was that i prefer to see goals than 0-0s

And that there is no absolute correct way of playing football and that all tactics and playstyles have their place depending on the players you have.

You asked is there a correct way of playing football?

I respond with posts like these and get responses like you dont like defensive football and you are a lover of attacking football....

I genuinely dont see where you get that from my posts and that is all i was trying to say because iam certain you didnt understand what i was trying to say and was trying to get you to understand.

@Xabi

Barca is my Spanish team and have been as such since Bobby Robson was thier coach.
no reason to get touchy about it, weve been talking about what you ment for pages now i mean cmon its over.

i understand what you said in its entirty but there were some things that you said that gave me an impression but seriously discussing why i called you defensive? its over
The Madrid One
The Madrid One

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:54 pm

jibers wrote:
Immaculate_Mole wrote:Fair enough, iam still confused at how you took my posts as....

Defensive, not understanding the thread when all i said was that i prefer to see goals than 0-0s

And that there is no absolute correct way of playing football and that all tactics and playstyles have their place depending on the players you have.

You asked is there a correct way of playing football?

I respond with posts like these and get responses like you dont like defensive football and you are a lover of attacking football....

I genuinely dont see where you get that from my posts and that is all i was trying to say because iam certain you didnt understand what i was trying to say and was trying to get you to understand.

Mole where's your post? Can you tell me what you said?

Actually i do, because i said many times every style has its place in football and would prefer to see goals than a stalemate

Would'nt anybody?

Anti-football does'nt exist outside the brain of Xavi, majority of Barca fans have never branded defensive football anti-football atleast on this forum anyway.

You are reading things in the media and jumping to conclusions, when infact as i said the term "anti-football" only exists in Xavi's mind.

There are many different ways to play the game and they all have thier place and there is not one correct and absolute way to play football.

Also how have i tried to defend Barca's football? i never did that once

That is why iam confused, again iam not getting touchy iam just incredibly baffled at the responses my posts have recieved.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:57 pm

Jibers my quote for your sig was actually

Argentina, they play free flowing tiki taka attacking football

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:00 pm

The Madrid One wrote:
xabi wrote:damn 15 pages of nerdfest I missed Sad
your brain might explode so be ware

This topic deserves this title: "The Most Mind Blowing Thread of The Year"
I've got a headache from reading the posts of this topic. really confusing Very Happy
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:01 pm

El Pipita wrote:
The Madrid One wrote:
xabi wrote:damn 15 pages of nerdfest I missed Sad
your brain might explode so be ware

This topic deserves this title: "The Most Mind Blowing Thread of The Year"
I've got a headache from reading the posts of this topic. really confusing Very Happy
i like that my threads give people brain farts.. Cool
The Madrid One
The Madrid One

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:04 pm

I would'nt really say it was a nerdfest, bar ofc when Freecat came in ofcourse :lol!:

There was definite confusion between a few goal legacy members Very Happy

I think i need some medication Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:I would'nt really say it was a nerdfest, bar ofc when Freecat came in ofcourse :lol!:

There was definite confusion between a few goal legacy members Very Happy

I think i need some medication Laughing
Is There A "Correct" Way To Play Football? - Page 10 Chillp10 :flower:

good topic,thread,and discussion imo though.
The Madrid One
The Madrid One

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Lionel Messi wrote:Jibers my quote for your sig was actually

Argentina, they play free flowing tiki taka attacking football

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

loooooooooooool, mate that's the greatest quote on this forum by a mile tbh.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
The Franchise wrote:
I said the best teams in history, the ones that people remember, play great football, and thats true.

Again, I will say it.

Name the best teams in history, name the ones that are best remembered....they ALL play attacking football with a sense of style and entertainment.

Brazil 70, Total football of Holland, Hungarians of the 50s, Milan of Sacchi, Madrid of Stefano and co , they are all known for great attacking football and everybody even to this day still knows them.

Thats simply not true.These teams are remembered because they won trophies.And frankly we even dont knows whether most of these teams always played beautiful football for certain.Its always a glorified assumption more often than not.

So you remember the total football of Dutch because they won titles? Funny...I thought they lost to Germany in the final.

Strange nobody remembers Germany despite them beating the Dutch side.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:25 am

sciacca wrote:
Giggity5313 wrote:
Brazil has insane amount of talent attacking wise

Your point, Italy has insane amount of talent in defending...

Buffon, Zoff
Maldini, Nesta, Canavaro, Chiellini, Baresi, Scriea, shall I go on?
The likes of Gattuso... :coffee:

Exactly, Italy produces fantastic defenders so they play a great defensive game most of the time Very Happy
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin_Muscat Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:28 am

would football still be called "the beautiful game" and be the most popular sport in the world if it wasn't important to play attacking football? i doubt it. so be quiet you italians. haven't you learnt anything from barca. they are revolutionising football. get on board.

Kevin_Muscat
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:37 am

Kevin_Muscat wrote:would football still be called "the beautiful game" and be the most popular sport in the world if it wasn't important to play attacking football? i doubt it. so be quiet you italians. haven't you learnt anything from barca. they are revolutionising football. get on board.
Shitstorm imminent.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:44 am

Kevin_Muscat wrote:would football still be called "the beautiful game" and be the most popular sport in the world if it wasn't important to play attacking football? i doubt it. so be quiet you italians. haven't you learnt anything from barca. they are revolutionising football. get on board.

Ok, genius. Explain?

If you can.
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:03 am

The Franchise wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:
The Franchise wrote:
I said the best teams in history, the ones that people remember, play great football, and thats true.

Again, I will say it.

Name the best teams in history, name the ones that are best remembered....they ALL play attacking football with a sense of style and entertainment.

Brazil 70, Total football of Holland, Hungarians of the 50s, Milan of Sacchi, Madrid of Stefano and co , they are all known for great attacking football and everybody even to this day still knows them.

Thats simply not true.These teams are remembered because they won trophies.And frankly we even dont knows whether most of these teams always played beautiful football for certain.Its always a glorified assumption more often than not.

So you remember the total football of Dutch because they won titles? Funny...I thought they lost to Germany in the final.

Most remember the great German team that won the 74 world cup and greats like Kaiser and Muller from that team.Not sure how u are saying no one remember them.

So if teams are remembered by great football they play then why doesnt the spurs team of 1960-70 remembered as great team in history.Will last 3 season Arsenal teams be considered one of the greatest team in history ? Will last year's German team be considered one of the greatest to have played in world cup history? Or would u remember the Blackpool team of last year that relegated a great team in history because they played entertaining football?

And the Dutch team is considered one of the greatest team in history because they won loads with Ajax with almost the same team and system too.If they were not successful no one would have remembered them and simply called the total football as impotent system.

Its winning that defines great teams not how u play.There are countless teams that played entertaining football throughout history and forgotten quickly.But no one forget teams that dominate football regardless of how they play.Liverpool of 1970's or Bayern of 1970's never played exactly entertaining football everytime but sure as hell they are remembered as great teams.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:41 am

Wow, just totally missed the thread of the year.

Ignoring the 15 pages of posts....

IMO, there is an ideal way to play football. It's a perfect balance between attack and defence, possession and non possession, proactive and destructive.

After all, aren't the most entertaining games ones where it is jam packed with end to end action? Aren't the most entertaining ones the ones where the scorelines are close and every changing? Aren't the best games the one where the ball is made to to beautiful things every second?

Overemphasis of either attack and defence is not ideal IMO. Overemphasis of possession football and parking the bus is not ideal as well.

In reference to the obvious underlying theme of Real Madrid- Barcelona, neither teams played in the best way possible in the el clasicos. Barcelona should've let Real Madrid play some attacking football by not hogging the ball 24/7. Conversely, we should have let Barcelona do something useful when they had the ball by not parking the bus excessively.

That way, possession becomes more evened out, and the end result is more end to end action and more moments of brilliance with the ball from both sides.

Kev
Kev
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 am

wow, what a mind blowing thread. Literally
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:50 am

Kevacious wrote:Wow, just totally missed the thread of the year.

IMO, there is an ideal way to play football. It's a perfect balance between attack and defence, possession and non possession, proactive and destructive.

After all, aren't the most entertaining games ones where it is jam packed with end to end action? Aren't the most entertaining ones the ones where the scorelines are close and every changing? Aren't the best games the one where the ball is made to to beautiful things every second?

Overemphasis of either attack and defence is not ideal IMO. Overemphasis of possession football and parking the bus is not ideal as well.

In reference to the obvious underlying theme of Real Madrid- Barcelona, neither teams played in the best way possible in the el clasicos. Barcelona should've let Real Madrid play some attacking football by not hogging the ball 24/7. Conversely, we should have let Barcelona do something useful when they had the ball by not parking the bus excessively.

That way, possession becomes more evened out, and the end result is more end to end action and more moments of brilliance with the ball from both sides.

What? BArcelona shouldn't hug possession? What are you smoking? They dominate games because of that and as Guardiola said, we are bad at defending so we have to get the ball back as quick as possible, why should they let RM counterattack them? They might not be that entertaining to me but they dominate teams. They've dominated every single tem last season pinning them in ttheir own halves. WHy the hell should they do this? I'm so confused? Are you serious? If RM played like Barca I'm sure you wouldn't say this. As I said, the mosty important thing is winning, and with 70% possession of the ball, that improves their chances of achievving that.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:41 pm

jibers wrote:
Kevacious wrote:Wow, just totally missed the thread of the year.

What? BArcelona shouldn't hug possession? What are you smoking? They dominate games because of that and as Guardiola said, we are bad at defending so we have to get the ball back as quick as possible, why should they let RM counterattack them? They might not be that entertaining to me but they dominate teams. They've dominated every single tem last season pinning them in ttheir own halves. WHy the hell should they do this? I'm so confused? Are you serious? If RM played like Barca I'm sure you wouldn't say this. As I said, the mosty important thing is winning, and with 70% possession of the ball, that improves their chances of achievving that.
Mate, calm down lol. All I said was IMO, the best way to play football is to have a balance between everything. That means that 70% isn't the best way in my view. Passing the ball around needlessly between defence and midfield is not the perfect way to play football. The ball must constantly threaten the goal in order for the possession to become useful. Naturally, the most attempts made to score the goal, the more times the team in question loses the ball. If Barcelona wanted to attack more, they would inevitably lose more possession. But that is not the case.

Since Barcelona has the ball so much, it is inconceivable that Real Madrid's players run around for 120 minutes chasing a ball. Consequently, they must park the bus in order to control their territory. But since Real Madrid parked the bus, Barcelona couldn't penetrate our defence, which meant that a lot of needless passing was made.

As you can see, it is almost a paradox. A paradox that arises from one team's reputation to hog the ball.

Unless you want to see more el clasicos like the ones in April/ May, I think it's best if Barcelona doesn't hog the ball so much. Obviously, Real Madrid must also uphold our part of the bargain, and not be so focused on parking the bus.

Once this occurs, football wins.
Kev
Kev
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:56 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:
The Franchise wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:
The Franchise wrote:

Again, I will say it.

Most remember the great German team that won the 74 world cup and greats like Kaiser and Muller from that team.Not sure how u are saying no one remember them.

So if teams are remembered by great football they play then why doesnt the spurs team of 1960-70 remembered as great team in history.Will last 3 season Arsenal teams be considered one of the greatest team in history ? Will last year's German team be considered one of the greatest to have played in world cup history? Or would u remember the Blackpool team of last year that relegated a great team in history because they played entertaining football?

And the Dutch team is considered one of the greatest team in history because they won loads with Ajax with almost the same team and system too.If they were not successful no one would have remembered them and simply called the total football as impotent system.

Its winning that defines great teams not how u play.There are countless teams that played entertaining football throughout history and forgotten quickly.But no one forget teams that dominate football regardless of how they play.Liverpool of 1970's or Bayern of 1970's never played exactly entertaining football everytime but sure as hell they are remembered as great teams.

Who do you remember more, the German team and how they play or the Dutch team and how they play?

Everyone remembers or knows of how they played football, everyone has heard of total football and what it basically means...who remembers how the Germans played back then?

Way to miss the point by the way. Noone is saying you only remember the teams that play good football, wake up. I clearly said, name the best and well known sides in football history...they all played good football.

The teams I named have been mentioned by EVERYONE as the best ever and they all played good football.

By the way, these are not my words, these are the words of Arrigo Sacchi...so if you going to disagree with me then fine, but know who else your disagreeing with.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:57 pm

TMO's choices are very limited as I'm of the opinion there isn't one way to play football. My version is that you play football to the best of the abilities of players and depending on how good your players are, your football would reflect the style.

Now if you ask me what sort of football I enjoy, then that's a different topic...
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:20 pm

The Franchise wrote:
Who do you remember more, the German team and how they play or the Dutch team and how they play?

Everyone remembers or knows of how they played football, everyone has heard of total football and what it basically means...who remembers how the Germans played back then?
That German and Bayern team is one of the greatest teams containing 2 all time great players.Most remember them as much any other great team.Its nonsense to say no one remembers them in the first place itself.If no one remembers that team then on one would be remembering Kaiser either.It was synonymous with him.

The Franchise wrote:
Way to miss the point by the way. Noone is saying you only remember the teams that play good football, wake up. I clearly said, name the best and well known sides in football history...they all played good football.

The teams I named have been mentioned by EVERYONE as the best ever and they all played good football.

All the teams u mentioned won silverware including the dutch team albeit with Ajax who popularized the total football.How they played is secondary.How many teams are considered one of the greatest in history without winning silverware? None of those u mentioned.Ever wondered why?

The Franchise wrote:
By the way, these are not my words, these are the words of Arrigo Sacchi...so if you going to disagree with me then fine, but know who else your disagreeing with.

So what if he said similar to ur view.Mourinho said Barca won by cheating Gerrard said Joe cole is Messi and Pele said lots of nonsense.They too know lot about football too.Are they are correct?

These quoting of other greats and saying "They always know" is loads of tosh.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:45 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:
The Franchise wrote:

That German and Bayern team is one of the greatest teams containing 2 all time great players.Most remember them as much any other great team.Its nonsense to say no one remembers them in the first place itself.If no one remembers that team then on one would be remembering Kaiser either.It was synonymous with him.

The Franchise wrote:

All the teams u mentioned won silverware including the dutch team albeit with Ajax who popularized the total football.How they played is secondary.How many teams are considered one of the greatest in history without winning silverware? None of those u mentioned.Ever wondered why?

The Franchise wrote:

So what if he said similar to ur view.Mourinho said Barca won by cheating Gerrard said Joe cole is Messi and Pele said lots of nonsense.They too know lot about football too.Are they are correct?

I dont need a lecture on the German NT.

But fact is, Germany won that game, but more people know the Dutch...they were seen as the best side in that competition and are far more remembed then Germany..why is that?

Ajax and the Dutch werent the same...they had some of the same players..some.

And no, the football isnt secondary. How come we dont remember all the teams that won? How come these teams stick out more? Its their football.

And I didnt say because Sacchi is saying it, I am right. I am just wondering, if Sacchi was telling you this and not me, would you argue it. I dont think you would.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:41 pm

The Franchise wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:
The Franchise wrote:

The Franchise wrote:

The Franchise wrote:

I dont need a lecture on the German NT.

But fact is, Germany won that game, but more people know the Dutch...they were seen as the best side in that competition and are far more remembed then Germany..why is that?

Ajax and the Dutch werent the same...they had some of the same players..some.

And no, the football isnt secondary. How come we dont remember all the teams that won? How come these teams stick out more? Its their football.

And I didnt say because Sacchi is saying it, I am right. I am just wondering, if Sacchi was telling you this and not me, would you argue it. I dont think you would.

all your opinions but dont use other people to try to elevate the seriousness and correctness of your stance. you obviously go for option 1 and most people with brains dont.
The Madrid One
The Madrid One

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Who is talking to you?

I dont have brains? The amount of people who have owned you and your only comeback is "you dont understand" lol

Go back under whatever rock you crawled out from under, do us a favour.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:52 pm

The general public will of course be attracted to flashy, entertaining football and not tactical grindfests.

But of course, the general public doesn't really know enough about football to appreciate all aspects of it, but it's why more people talk about the 1970s Ajax rather than the 1970s Bayern or Germany. Ajax played beautiful flowing football while Bayern/Germany was pretty much all about efficiency.

The same will happen to today's Barcelona and Spain. This era will be about them and then the rest.

We also have to take in mind how notoriously glory hunter most mainstream people are. Since Barca play pretty AND win a shitload of titles... damn who wouldn't wanna follow them?
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next