Barton could have joined Arsenal

5 posters

Go down

Barton could have joined Arsenal Empty Barton could have joined Arsenal

Post by Sushi Master Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:48 pm

inb4sepi/mole

Source

Newly-instated QPR captain Joey Barton has claimed if he had not played against Arsenal on the first day of the season, then he could have signed for the Gunners instead of joining Neil Warnock's side.

The 29-year-old was a Newcastle United player when he found himself at the centre of a scuffle with Arsenal debutant Gervinho, which led to Ivorian being sent off for slapping the former Manchester City player.

The midfielder said he had previously chatted with Emirates boss Arsene Wenger about a prospective move but that what happened on the pitch that day stopped any deal occurring.

“If I hadn't played against Arsenal on the first day, I may have signed for them,” Barton told BBC Sport.

“There were a couple of conversations [with Wenger] but that's different to actually signing.

“The Gervinho incident happened and there's nothing I can do about it now. If it happened again, I'd like to think I'd deal with it differently.

“Things happen for a reason and there's a lesson to be learned from it. Right now we sit above Arsenal in the table - hopefully that's the case in May.”

Barton joined Loftus Road on a long-term deal in the final days of the summer transfer window, and was one of a number of signings made in the final week of August by manager Warnock.

After the club was bought by new owner Tony Fernandes, the west Londoners also splashed out on Anton Ferdinand, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Luke Young and Armand Traore.

“There were a couple of offers on the table but now I'm really happy to be at QPR and in London,” Barton continued.

“We play an expansive and exciting brand of football and can hopefully surprise a few people this season.”

Barton was made available on a free transfer after the Newcastle hierarchy grew tired of his complaints about the club’s board over social networking site Twitter towards the end of pre-season.

---

He's a *bleep*, but he's just the player we'd be needing right now. I wouldn't have minded that transfer at all.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Barton could have joined Arsenal Empty Re: Barton could have joined Arsenal

Post by Lex Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Did you see his little antics against Wolves on the weekend?

If the Gervinho incident meant he didn't come to Arsenal, then i'm glad it happened
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:55 pm

LOL, Barton is a hot head and I never liked him. Thank you Gervinho, even though it was a costly 3 game ban.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenris Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:53 pm

He would've added steel to the midfield but would be a really bad influence on the youngsters in the first team and at the club in general. Would've been a bittersweet signing if it happened.
Fenris
Fenris
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:37 pm

didnt want him anyways. im glad song stamped on him, and i wish gervinho would've beaten him up like he was going to
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down