Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

+5
Firenze
Great Leader Sprucenuce
BarrileteCosmico
RealGunner
Babun
9 posters

Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Babun Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:46 pm

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

The hardware underneath blows Switch completly out of the water. You can run Doom on it.

IGN hand on test:
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 7195
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by RealGunner Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:09 pm

It actually has good games compared to switch

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 88847
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Babun Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:11 pm

@RealGunner wrote:It actually has good games compared to switch


It's a PCP, a Personal Computer Portable. Steam doesn't to call the device a handheld. They used the distribution and desktop environment I use for linux (archlinux+KDE plasma) but you could install windows 10 and run with it. Everything works out of the box.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 7195
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:22 pm

Hmm not sure about the title. I feel like they're giving a nintendo product but their target market is more adults gamers that are likelier to be on ps/xbox/PC.

And is there really a need for a handheld device in this market or do they prefer the immersive "docked" experience ?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 27053
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by RealGunner Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:28 pm

@BarrileteCosmico wrote:Hmm not sure about the title. I feel like they're giving a nintendo product but their target market is more adults gamers that are likelier to be on ps/xbox/PC.

And is there really a need for a handheld device in this market or do they prefer the immersive "docked" experience ?


it's a handheld gaming PC. you can just use it as a PC if you want which is the selling point. But the drawback is 720p gaming.

Not sure if streaming is possible in 1080p?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 88847
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:48 am

We've been through this before with people trying to attack Nintendo in the mobile/handheld space.

Most of the people who buy a Switch do not and will not give a fuck about this and thus it won't impact them in the slightest.

There's a reason they've dominated everyone who tries to compete with them in that space for 30+ years.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 68776
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Firenze Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:27 pm

diff markets completely tbh, sure this thing shits on the switch spec wise but just look at how the new Switch OLED model is selling out of pre-orders everywhere...people are clamoring for a console with the switch specs...with a fucking OLED screen that costs $50 more and no real upgrades...5 years after release its getting a price rise not a discount. It's ridiculous. Skyward Sword a $60 port of a 10 year old game lmao.

Switch audience built different. Nintendo will dominate the handheld market due to their games and fanbase.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 32528
Join date : 2012-04-25

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by RealGunner Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:29 pm

@Firenze wrote:diff markets completely tbh, sure this thing shits on the switch spec wise but just look at how the new Switch OLED model is selling out of pre-orders everywhere...people are clamoring for a console with the switch specs...with a fucking OLED screen that costs $50 more and no real upgrades...5 years after release its getting a price rise not a discount. It's ridiculous. Skyward Sword a $60 port of a 10 year old game lmao.

Switch audience built different. Nintendo will dominate the handheld market due to their games and fanbase.


women and children

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 88847
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Lord Awesome Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:16 am

@Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Most of the people who buy a Switch do not and will not give a fuck about this and thus it won't impact them in the slightest.


Yup
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Valencia
Posts : 5919
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Babun Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:13 am

@RealGunner wrote:
@Firenze wrote:diff markets completely tbh, sure this thing shits on the switch spec wise but just look at how the new Switch OLED model is selling out of pre-orders everywhere...people are clamoring for a console with the switch specs...with a fucking OLED screen that costs $50 more and no real upgrades...5 years after release its getting a price rise not a discount. It's ridiculous. Skyward Sword a $60 port of a 10 year old game lmao.

Switch audience built different. Nintendo will dominate the handheld market due to their games and fanbase.


women and children


People who don't pay themselves :coffee:
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 7195
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:04 am

@Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:We've been through this before with people trying to attack Nintendo in the mobile/handheld space.

Most of the people who buy a Switch do not and will not give a fuck about this and thus it won't impact them in the slightest.

There's a reason they've dominated everyone who tries to compete with them in that space for 30+ years.



This, I will occasionally own a nintendo console, and it'll be because of nintendo games.
Sometimes I don't want to skullfuck demons as the Doomslayer, sometimes I want to play with yarn balls as Yoshi or have child-friendly adventures with Link.

Most of the time, though, it's crushing skulls on the PC, let's be honest.
But you won't really scratch nintendo much as long as they got their exclusives.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli
Posts : 8799
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Harmonica Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:28 am

The best thing about this is the development boost Linux Proton will get. It has come leaps and bounds for few years now, as you can play most Windows games in Linux already out of box. But this will probably make it a standard for developers. You can already play Skyrim in Linux, but I'm sure Todd will try to officially sell one for this device.

I tried to make a switch from Windows ransomware to Linux last year, but it still wasn't quite there yet. Hopefully next year...

Also Valve not going to pay any Windows licenses. rofl :bow:
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 13052
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by danyjr Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:14 am

@Harmonica wrote:The best thing about this is the development boost Linux Proton will get. It has come leaps and bounds for few years now, as you can play most Windows games in Linux already out of box. But this will probably make it a standard for developers. You can already play Skyrim in Linux, but I'm sure Todd will try to officially sell one for this device.

I tried to make a switch from Windows ransomware to Linux last year, but it still wasn't quite there yet. Hopefully next year...

Also Valve not going to pay any Windows licenses. rofl :bow:
Does Linux Proton run Windows games through an emulator?
If so what % performance hit should we expect?
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors
Posts : 7736
Join date : 2012-02-24

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Harmonica Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:23 am

@danyjr wrote:
@Harmonica wrote:The best thing about this is the development boost Linux Proton will get. It has come leaps and bounds for few years now, as you can play most Windows games in Linux already out of box. But this will probably make it a standard for developers. You can already play Skyrim in Linux, but I'm sure Todd will try to officially sell one for this device.

I tried to make a switch from Windows ransomware to Linux last year, but it still wasn't quite there yet. Hopefully next year...

Also Valve not going to pay any Windows licenses. rofl :bow:
Does Linux Proton run Windows games through an emulator?
If so what % performance hit should we expect?
Proton is a compability layer between Windows games and Linux, not an emulator. It works as easily, as selecting beta-version of the game in Steam, although in some cases you'll need some additional tweaking.

There's some performance hit because of the additional layer, but Linux itself runs faster which balances it little. I haven't done any testing, there's probably benchmarks available.
But because it's highly evolving, the benchmarks probably evolve also.

Biggest problem currently in it are anticheat softwares, which weren't working in Linux, at least last time I tried it. Which affects multiplayer games.

Here's Proton game database: https://www.protondb.com/
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 13052
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Babun Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:02 pm

@Harmonica wrote:
@danyjr wrote:
@Harmonica wrote:The best thing about this is the development boost Linux Proton will get. It has come leaps and bounds for few years now, as you can play most Windows games in Linux already out of box. But this will probably make it a standard for developers. You can already play Skyrim in Linux, but I'm sure Todd will try to officially sell one for this device.

I tried to make a switch from Windows ransomware to Linux last year, but it still wasn't quite there yet. Hopefully next year...

Also Valve not going to pay any Windows licenses. rofl :bow:
Does Linux Proton run Windows games through an emulator?
If so what % performance hit should we expect?
Proton is a compability layer between Windows games and Linux, not an emulator. It works as easily, as selecting beta-version of the game in Steam, although in some cases you'll need some additional tweaking.

There's some performance hit because of the additional layer, but Linux itself runs faster which balances it little. I haven't done any testing, there's probably benchmarks available.
But because it's highly evolving, the benchmarks probably evolve also.

Biggest problem currently in it are anticheat softwares, which weren't working in Linux, at least last time I tried it. Which affects multiplayer games.

Here's Proton game database: https://www.protondb.com/

Who would've thought Archlinux and KDE Plasma would pave the way?
Me eco smile
Steam Deck can build by 3rd party so expect versions with more power, looks and customasations.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 7195
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Harmonica Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:52 am

@Babun wrote:
@Harmonica wrote:
@danyjr wrote:
Does Linux Proton run Windows games through an emulator?
If so what % performance hit should we expect?
Proton is a compability layer between Windows games and Linux, not an emulator. It works as easily, as selecting beta-version of the game in Steam, although in some cases you'll need some additional tweaking.

There's some performance hit because of the additional layer, but Linux itself runs faster which balances it little. I haven't done any testing, there's probably benchmarks available.
But because it's highly evolving, the benchmarks probably evolve also.

Biggest problem currently in it are anticheat softwares, which weren't working in Linux, at least last time I tried it. Which affects multiplayer games.

Here's Proton game database: https://www.protondb.com/

Who would've thought Archlinux and KDE Plasma would pave the way?
Me eco smile
Steam Deck can build by 3rd party so expect versions with more power, looks and customasations.
Yeah Windows like experience is the key of making the transition to Linux more popular. I tried KDE Neon which probably is the most Windows like. When all of my games work on Linux I'll make transition to it. I'll still have few programs which will only work on Windows, but I can just have it on USB-stick by then.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 13052
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Babun Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:39 pm

@Harmonica wrote:
@Babun wrote:
@Harmonica wrote:
Proton is a compability layer between Windows games and Linux, not an emulator. It works as easily, as selecting beta-version of the game in Steam, although in some cases you'll need some additional tweaking.

There's some performance hit because of the additional layer, but Linux itself runs faster which balances it little. I haven't done any testing, there's probably benchmarks available.
But because it's highly evolving, the benchmarks probably evolve also.

Biggest problem currently in it are anticheat softwares, which weren't working in Linux, at least last time I tried it. Which affects multiplayer games.

Here's Proton game database: https://www.protondb.com/

Who would've thought Archlinux and KDE Plasma would pave the way?
Me eco smile
Steam Deck can build by 3rd party so expect versions with more power, looks and customasations.
Yeah Windows like experience is the key of making the transition to Linux more popular. I tried KDE Neon which probably is the most Windows like. When all of my games work on Linux I'll make transition to it. I'll still have few programs which will only work on Windows, but I can just have it on USB-stick by then.

KDE Neon uses Ubuntu -> Debian deriviate as backbone. Archlinux is a much better backbone. If you've got problems installing clean Archlinux you could try Manjaro KDE Plasma edition. Give it a try you'll notice soon Ubuntu has always been garbage. Linux Mint tried to work around Ubuntu's flaws all the time.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 7195
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Harmonica Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:22 pm

Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 13052
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by danyjr Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:19 pm

A game changer? It virtually is a pocket gaming PC.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors
Posts : 7736
Join date : 2012-02-24

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Harmonica Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:53 pm

@danyjr wrote:A game changer? It virtually is a pocket gaming PC.
It's the final push for Linux gaming in general I think, which excites me. Personally I'm not that interested in pocket gaming PC factor, although it looks a well made device.

Already bearing fruit: https://www.techspot.com/news/90634-amd-valve-developing-improved-linux-cpu-driver-benefit.html
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 13052
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by danyjr Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:56 pm

I really hope Steam Deck is successful on a commercial level and sets a new trend.

Everything looks surprisingly promising so far. My big worry is not so much the FPS or the resolution but battery. Can it last 3 hours while playing an intensive game? I hope so.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors
Posts : 7736
Join date : 2012-02-24

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Harmonica Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:52 am

Here's good explanation how Proton works.



Those Windows game that run on Vulkan natively should work better on Linux, example RDR2:
Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch PkxXbmhAWipNK9ShwVXwUn-970-80
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 13052
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Harmonica Today at 12:25 pm

Multiplayer Easy Anti-Cheat and Battle Eye coming on Linux Proton confirmed. That's be the last big step up for Linux gaming, and now that promised 100% Steam library support wont be that far off. Thumbs up
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 13052
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Steam Deck =  Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch Empty Re: Steam Deck = Full Frontal Assault on Nintendo Switch

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum