futbol
eelir
BarrileteCosmico
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Barcelona -  Villareal - Page 2 Empty Re: Barcelona - Villareal

Post by Winter is Coming Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:54 pm

I don't really think anyone is saying much about this game proving anything just the usually Xavi/Cesc banter.

Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:56 pm

I am Cesc's biggest fan, but I am surprised myself at the reaction in this thread.

Cesc did make an influence, but that's because a) it was his type of match and b) he was much more fresh than Xavi. Villarreal came at barcelona all match, the space was there for the taking and Xavi isn't the player now to use that space to attack. Plus Barcelona were on the top when Cesc came on, he just did what any other super sub would do when coming for tired legs.

Let's not pretend that this happens every match.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:10 pm

RealGunner wrote:I am Cesc's biggest fan, but I am surprised myself at the reaction in this thread.

Cesc did make an influence, but that's because a) it was his type of match and b) he was much more fresh than Xavi. Villarreal came at barcelona all match, the space was there for the taking and Xavi isn't the player now to use that space to attack. Plus Barcelona were on the top when Cesc came on, he just did what any other super sub would do when coming for tired legs.

Exactly. Cesc is still a scrub.

Taking this game as an example for Cesc's greatness. Laughing

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by eelir Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:16 pm

Cesc is not a scrub. He is great player. He just happens to be useless against tight teams when certain other player is taking his spot. When there is space, Cesc is a magician. With that being said, I still think we could use other player instead of him with Messi on this team (stupid Zubi to let Thiago go).

I was actually hopping that Cesc could adapt to emulate a bit of Xavi in CM role, but I think i was wrong. Cesc is a great AM and barely above average CM (for us)! We should have let him where he shined!
eelir
eelir
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Fußball wrote:
RealGunner wrote:I am Cesc's biggest fan, but I am surprised myself at the reaction in this thread.

Exactly. Cesc is still a scrub.

Taking this game as an example for Cesc's greatness. Laughing

Nah still a top 5 CAM but at a wrong club
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:32 pm

Cesc's influence was the assist and the assist alone imo. I can't think of much else.

People getting his coming on mixed up with the fact that Villareal scored an own goal shortly after (not forced by Cesc of course) that changed the tide of the game.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:29 am

Not mixed up, just have an agenda I believe and will cling on to another hope at keeping it.

Even praising the assist is laughable when you give not mention of the fact Busquets pass was the crucial one, the important one.

Again, comparing Xavi and Cesc is just a foolish thing to begin with.

The thought process going on is something like;

Xavi on, not playing well, cant break them down.

Cesc on, we score a goal, win the game, he gets an assist.

Must be that Xavi sucks and Cesc is great, amirite?

Xavi in his prime, was not around the effect the final third of the pitch. That's was and obviously is even more so now, secondary. The ONLY place Cesc effects the same is in the final third.

So then looking at goals and assists between the two, will always and forever be illogical. Even that season Xavi got 25 assists or whatever it was.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:21 pm

Cesc also initiated the buildup of the first goal, playing a direct ball forward.

It's getting silly now to keep praise away just for the sake of it. Xavi is 34. If he wants to continue playing football he can go to a league which plays at his pace. Like MLS or Serie A or something. At Barca he takes 3 seconds to release a ball these days until the opponent has a settled defense and the forwards have to dribble past 5 defenders. 34 year olds should not start Champions League knockout games or Clasicos.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by neuro11 Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:31 am

Fußball wrote:Cesc also initiated the buildup of the first goal, playing a direct ball forward.

It's getting silly now to keep praise away just for the sake of it. Xavi is 34. If he wants to continue playing football he can go to a league which plays at his pace. Like MLS or Serie A or something. At Barca he takes 3 seconds to release a ball these days until the opponent has a settled defense and the forwards have to dribble past 5 defenders. 34 year olds should not start Champions League knockout games or Clasicos.
not exactly that but had there be a proper back up , he probably would have more rest and could play in Cl or other important games.
but yes, we all have to deal with it. Xavi the big boss, can no longer serve the same level in competitive games in a long season. There were times when i wondered how football would be in Barca without him and iniesta.
I think we honestly look for his replacement (Please no Cesc Laughing)... I don know whether he should leave or play certain games only, but i have high doubt he can serve us the next whole season without a propoer backup...(subbing him with Cesc or Rafinha does not work, right?)

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:09 am

And yet Zanetti started and won a CL final at 36...
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:24 pm

Yes, but Inter Milan's 1 wonder season is not Barca. We already have Messi who does *bleep* all defensive work and as a collective we are physically a weak team. We can't make up for someone who walks as much as the goalkeeper AND a 34 year old midget in the center of the pitch.

Xavi's age doesn't even tell the full story. No one in football history has been as overplayed as Xavi. Look at the amount of demanding high profile games he has played. Only 4 caps short of 41 year old Giggs in Champions League appearances (Xavi is the 2nd most capped player in CL history - pre 1992 format included). Twice as many national team caps. He's playing with chronic tendonitis. He doesn't have a team built around him like, say, Pirlo who has 2 insane workhorses in Vidal and Pogba doing the running for him.

Xavi still retains the ball well but that's about it these days. He needs ages to release the ball.

And no, I won't be surprised if he bosses the World Cup again. With Busquets and Alonso doing the dirt work for him and without Messi walking 85 minutes and doing 5 minutes of magic it's a bit of a different story in a 7 game tournament.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:08 pm

Is he not retiring from int football after this WC? Should be a boost to his fitness level.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:01 pm

Isn't Xavi still one of our top runners in our team? I can tell he's tired, but he's still able to put in a shift.

Let's not pretend Xavi has to get wheeled around Laughing

I'm not arguing that we don't need a new midfielder, more dynamism and physicality...I agree we need that. Nor do I believe Xavi needs to play as many games as he does-- he could be rested more. However, you guys talk like he can hardly run anymore, and that's just not the case Laughing

If we're going to call Xavi ineffective in the final third (and I don't think he is), we need to agree that's not just Xavi but much of the team. Dani Alves isn't playing as well as he could offensively (10 billion crosses), Iniesta isn't either. Alexis is playing well, Messi is having an off season, and Pedro has been OK at best (and quite ineffective himself a lot of the time).

If you want to be harsh on Xavi, we have to admit it's not just him.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum