Why do the majority of goalkeepers hoof the ball under slight pressure?

+18
guest7
urbaNRoots
Arsenalfaithfull
elitedam
chinomaster182
DuringTheWar
Dante
RealGunner
Tomwin Lannister
Lex
ronalessi
FennecFox7
Art Morte
Arquitecto
rwo power
The Franchise
Doc
Onyx
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why do the majority of goalkeepers hoof the ball under slight pressure? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do the majority of goalkeepers hoof the ball under slight pressure?

Post by DuringTheWar Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:27 pm

well he is right, keepers don't need to "always hoof"

Spoiler:

DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Why do the majority of goalkeepers hoof the ball under slight pressure? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do the majority of goalkeepers hoof the ball under slight pressure?

Post by chinomaster182 Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:37 pm

I've also read several times that most coaches instruct to always hoof the ball away.

It's just not that easy like you're finding out, if you instruct to pass it out your defenders have to be in good positions and have good ball skills themselves, same with the center midfielder, who is the anchor of the team and has to be the best ball player in the team, or at least one of the best, of course if from their on out you want to remain in possession your team should be very compact and know how to position themselves as well.

All this just cannot be achieved in a few months training time, as much as you'd like that to be true. This is the reason why La Masia trains youngsters for years on out this whole system, this is why Barcelona are secretly very desperate on the Valdes situation, i think Valdes is a good to average shot stopper, but that barely matters anyways because he does little shot stopping itself and does play alot with his feet, i would say he is unparalleled in football in this aspect.

On the bright side, i will say that i think your on the right track. Michael Cox from Zonal Marking did a statistical work for ESPN where he showed that teams that pass from the back instead of hoof the ball had a higher win rate percentage. I always hope big teams pass it from the back, however i can understand why many of them fail to do it.
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:49 pm

Ball playing GK:
Spoiler:
cheers
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:01 pm

Like many have already said, most GKs don't have the ability and/or composure to safely and smartly play the ball from the back. But those that do give a huge advantage to their team. I'm always reminded of Edwin Van Der Sar and his skill on the ball.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:53 am

elitedam wrote:Like many have already said, most GKs don't have the ability and/or composure to safely and smartly play the ball from the back. But those that do give a huge advantage to their team. I'm always reminded of Edwin Van Der Sar and his skill on the ball.
In fact i've read that Van Der Saar played striker in his off time, he was that good with the ball.
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:13 am

Better to be safe than sorry I g uess. The same reason why old school British CBs use to smash out of bounce, and then reorganize the line.
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:41 am

Because they're not as comfortable with their passing as an outfield player?

Wenger told Szczesny to kick it to him, if he can't kick it properly Laughing
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:56 am

It's becoming painfully obvious you have never played a game of football ever in your life MT.
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:40 pm

Mt you never fail to amaze me. Wtf are people even responding to this clots barca fan... Utterly clueless

Also answer Danis question...how do you build composure?
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Calm down it's just a question. You can ignore it and move on.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:42 pm

The Franchise wrote:
Yohan Modric wrote:Goalkeepers don't need to train at everything outfield players train at. I'm sure it's possible with the use of positioning and composure to not always hoof.

Obviously if it's approaching 90th minute and the team is winning, it would be wise to hoof it clear. It has to depend on what's happening too.

So if the press is too much, just hoof, if it's 1-2 players, then attempt to pass out. Doesn't always have to be a pass out.
How do you "train composure" I would love to hear your theories.

Composure doesn't have to be a thing that stays at the same level throughout a player's career. With specific drills during training, techniques, practise etc, it can improve.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Composure doesn't have to be a thing that stays at the same level throughout a player's career. With specific drills during training, techniques, practise etc, it can improve.  
I guess the question was more: What kind of drills do you see useful to train composure?
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:02 pm

rwo power wrote:
Yohan Modric wrote:Composure doesn't have to be a thing that stays at the same level throughout a player's career. With specific drills during training, techniques, practise etc, it can improve.  
I guess the question was more: What kind of drills do you see useful to train composure?
Well I'm not too sure about specific drills advanced coaches use, however from the top of my head, I'd say short passing drills to improve the goalkeepers short passing.

Basically in game pressing situations would be practised in training. So the goalkeeper would be pressed and from then the coach would tell him what to do in each situation and how to remain composed. Defenders would be positioned in an ideal position to make it easier for the goalkeeper.

Secondly, maybe a bit of dribbling work. Nothing too extravagant, like trying to outdribble the opposition players pressing, but just basic stuff.

If a goalkeepers remains persistent and works hard to improve his composure, it can be improved. Anyway as I said earlier, it can be dependant on the style that the team uses too. Lower teams might not want to take risks and might just want to take the easy way out with a hoof.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:15 pm

Yeah...it's not that much of a stupid question. Many a times I've seen keepers hoof it despite the nearest attacking being miles away and lose possession. That is a bit of a stupid way to lose possession and is quite avoidable.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Well, so in a way the keeper should take some time to train playing with the outfield players. The problem is just that this is time that has to be taken from other keeper-specific drills, so in the end you will probably always have a player who is just a bit less confident on playing the ball than an outfield player as the time to train these skills is simply less for practical reasons.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:03 am

Why do the majority of goalkeepers hoof the ball under slight pressure? - Page 2 Alaba
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:14 am

It's not only about the skills of the GK, it's about the risk that GK has to take:

When a CM loses that ball, the defence are behind him;
When a CB loses the ball, the GK is behind him;
But when a GK loses the ball, there is only an open goal behind him.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Very true. You might want to look at this from yesterday's match Bayern München vs Eintracht Braunschweig:
Spoiler:
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:53 pm

The pass the GK would make wouldn't be a risky pass. I mean there's goalkeepers who hoof when just 1 player is slightly pressing him.

In terms of Neuer there, he's coming out from his goal, which is a different topic compared to hoofing.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:The pass the GK would make wouldn't be a risky pass. I mean there's goalkeepers who hoof when just 1 player is slightly pressing him.
Again for that the defenders have to move in a way that the GK can properly pass to them. If they are surrounded by opponent players, it gets a bit too risky.

Yohan Modric wrote:In terms of Neuer there, he's coming out from his goal, which is a different topic compared to hoofing.
Well, that was more to illustrate the problem that *normally* there is no player behind the GK who can save him if he loses the ball. In that case, David Alaba fortunately was fast enough to come to the rescue.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum