Pep guardiola: terrible in the transfer window...

+10
The Franchise
Kamikaze692
VivaStPauli
Kick
Lex
kiranr
free_cat
The Sanchez
rwo power
michaelnana
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pep guardiola: terrible in the transfer window... Empty Pep guardiola: terrible in the transfer window...

Post by michaelnana Sat May 25, 2013 9:11 am

I was reading an article on the Bleacher report when something struck. As much as Pep is great at uniting a team and developing a great tactical game, he's terrible at transfers. I mean I can't think of one Pep Guardiola transfer that tremendously improved Barca or upped their game, apart from Dani Alves.

Dmytro Chygrynskiy: Flop
Sanchez: Flop
Carceres: flop
Kerrson: Flop
Hleb: Flop
Ibra: Stagnated
Fabregas: Regressed
Pique: Stagnated
Henrique: Flop
Maxwell: Flop
Mata: Flop
Afellay: Flop

That's crazy almost every player they bought was shit our didn't really become elite.

Keita was a pretty good signing for his role and Mascherano is debatable. He stagnated a bit but has done decent in the CB position.

It's crazy to think about it, he's absolute shit in the transfer window.

I will say that he's done very well developing Barca academy players though. Messi, Busquets, tello, Pedro etc are much better players than when he came.

michaelnana
Prospect
Prospect

http://www.reflap.com/michael

Back to top Go down

Pep guardiola: terrible in the transfer window... Empty Re: Pep guardiola: terrible in the transfer window...

Post by rwo power Sat May 25, 2013 9:58 am

Well, at Bayern, the transfers are not the job of the coach, so he will not be able to decide on his own which players to buy. (That's why in Germany the coaches usually are not considered "managers". There are other people to manage a club; the coach is there to train and set up the game tactics. Our coaches are actually considered "Fußballlehrer", "football teachers").
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Pep guardiola: terrible in the transfer window... Empty Re: Pep guardiola: terrible in the transfer window...

Post by michaelnana Sat May 25, 2013 10:00 am

That's true and granted that he's a genius in inspiring players, he'll do fine.

michaelnana
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Sat May 25, 2013 10:16 am

Mata?
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Sat May 25, 2013 10:33 am

Piqué: Top.

And we never signed Mata
Otherwise I agree.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sat May 25, 2013 10:37 am

We have to include Busquets and Pedro too.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sat May 25, 2013 10:38 am

Pique had one, maybe two good seasons. Now, he's a shadow of what he once was.
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by michaelnana Sat May 25, 2013 10:41 am

Ohh true my bad. Mata came from the academy.

Pique since 2011 has been pretty bad especially when Puyol isn't playing with him.

michaelnana
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by michaelnana Sat May 25, 2013 10:42 am

Busquets and Pedro came from the academy.

michaelnana
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sat May 25, 2013 11:43 am

Mata was never, ever at Barca! This thread is horrible. Every coach signs poor players.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat May 25, 2013 11:54 am

Who cares. He'll kiss Sammers ring, and he'll thank him for the players he will be granted.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by michaelnana Sat May 25, 2013 11:59 am

Kick wrote:Mata was never, ever at Barca! This thread is horrible. Every coach signs poor players.

Yes he was. Victor Sanchez Mata, look him up.

You think every Mata in the world is the one at Chelsea?

michaelnana
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamikaze692 Sat May 25, 2013 12:57 pm

rwo power wrote:Well, at Bayern, the transfers are not the job of the coach, so he will not be able to decide on his own which players to buy. (That's why in Germany the coaches usually are not considered "managers". There are other people to manage a club; the coach is there to train and set up the game tactics. Our coaches are actually considered "Fußballlehrer", "football teachers").

That it may be, but isnt the point of Gotze moving to Bayern that Pep wanted him? So he is a Pep signing, not a Sammer/Hoeness signing is he not?
Kamikaze692
Kamikaze692
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat May 25, 2013 1:01 pm

That was a pretty typical "Bayern are jerks" signing TBH, plus which club wouldn't want Götze?
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat May 25, 2013 1:13 pm

What makes you thiñkPep was the sole voice in these transfers. Common sense tells you its a joint effort from coach, sporting direcor and others.

Also Pique and Maxwell are no flops, Pique drastically improved and Maxwell did his job. Also not mentioning Keita, Villa, Adriano and Yaya is shameful.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sat May 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Yeah but Dani. Yaya got there in 2007... you can't credit Pep for that one. Villa hasn't been a success either except his first 7 months. Adriano and Maxwell are good signings... but nothing you're going to hang your reputation on.

Out of all players Barca brought in during Pep's era, only Pique was really good. The rest, not so much.

I wouldn't blame Pep though... it's not like it's improved once he left Laughing
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat May 25, 2013 1:32 pm

Yeah scratch Yaya. Rest stands though.

Villa was a good signing, in year 1 he was very good and especially in big games. Strugged and then broke his leg...but if you ask would I do it hesame again I would be a big yes.

Adriano and Maxwell not special no, but the point was the notion he can do no right in the market is wrong.

Though I repeat again, I have no clue why people think Pep chose all those players by himself. He clearly didn't.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamikaze692 Sat May 25, 2013 1:34 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:That was a pretty typical "Bayern are jerks" signing TBH, plus which club wouldn't want Götze?

Yes there arent many clubs that can say that they would not have moved for Goetze, but its not like he was free to leave or something.
From Jurgen Klopps interviews, it seems pretty evident that the biggest reason for Goetze to move was his eagerness to play under Pep at Bayern.
Its plausible that when Pep and Bayern were negotiating his contract, Pep must have given them a list of players he would like to have. In that sense, Goetze will be pretty much a Pep signing.
Kamikaze692
Kamikaze692
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamikaze692 Sat May 25, 2013 1:43 pm

The Franchise wrote:Yeah scratch Yaya. Rest stands though.

Villa was a good signing, in year 1 he was very good and especially in big games. Strugged and then broke his leg...but if you ask would I do it hesame again I would be a big yes.

Adriano and Maxwell not special no, but the point was the notion he can do no right in the market is wrong.

Though I repeat again, I have no clue why people think Pep chose all those players by himself. He clearly didn't.

Its not about who made the signing, who scouted the player or who gave the green signal to the move.
When you are the Head Coach of a Football club, i think you will be intrinsically involved in the process of scouting and signing a new player. Its very rare that a player will be signed without your approval. Hence a large part of the blame should definitely go to the Coach for any flop signings.
Kamikaze692
Kamikaze692
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat May 25, 2013 1:49 pm

Didn't say he is devoid of blame...I said he is not the single person to blame.

Barca as a collective made decisions, not just Pep.

Its well know for example everyone even including Cruyff had a say in Ibra.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat May 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Kamikaze692 wrote:From Jurgen Klopps interviews, it seems pretty evident that the biggest reason for Goetze to move was his eagerness to play under Pep at Bayern.
Its plausible that when Pep and Bayern were negotiating his contract, Pep must have given them a list of players he would like to have. In that sense, Goetze will be pretty much a Pep signing.
Well, the point is more - with Sammer, Hoeneß, Rummenigge et al, you have an expert group that has to okay every coach's player request. If they have the feeling that a signing would be a bad idea, they can simply veto it. If they get a request by the coach that they consider fine, the coach can be pretty sure he'll get the player by any means necessary.

And as Sammer&Co. are really football experts (other than the guys in charge at many other clubs - see the assorted number of sheikhs, oligarchs etc elsewhere), it is unlikely that they okay a transfer only because it is a pretty name - the player has to be useful for Bayern, too.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sat May 25, 2013 2:45 pm

I don't think Pep signs with any club, including Bayern, unless he controls player personnel decisions. It doesn't mean that he gets whoever he wants for whatever price... but nobody can be forced on him. As much as the executives can veto a player request of his, he can veto a player they want to put on his squad.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat May 25, 2013 2:57 pm

@Sportszcy

I guess at Bayern it is more like that the people in charge (coach, sports director, managers) will sit together and discuss what is best for the club together. As the final authorisation of how much money is granted for transfers lies with the executive board, it is usually not possible for a single person to say how much will be spent. I guess this is one of the main differences between a German club and clubs that have single persons who decide about the money.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat May 25, 2013 5:08 pm

People give the manager way too much credit in the process transfer. For example, I'm almost certain that out of the...I want to say 7 or so...players that Spurs bought last summer and last winter, I'd argue probably only Holtby and maybe Dembele were targets of AVB. And Dembele is arguable and really only as a back up due to the failure to capture Moutinho. AVB was fixated on Moutinho, Damiao, Willian, and Hulk as transfer targets. He got none of those and instead got Dempsey, Dembele, Sigurdsson etc.

Most of the signings were Levy deals I'm sure.

You guys act like Pep was the sole voice of reason in these transfers...that's far from the truth.

If you don't believe me, someone please explain to my as to why the f*ck Pep would sign Keirrison. K9 was an investment from Rosell who has a lot of contact in Brazil, hoping he would sign him, loan him out, see him score a bunch of goals, and then sell him on a profit. There is a reason he never played a game for Barca. Why would Pep sign a young, unproven, pretty mediocre poacher, classic #9 from the Brazilian league?

Now on the flipside, there are transfers like Chygrinksy which very much were Pep signings. That one had Pep written all over it, and yes, he flopped, and yes, Pep has to take blame for that.

Now the point here is, these are two extreme cases during Pep's reign- polar opposites. The reality of the situation is not in these extreme cases, but somewhere in the middle. As Dani put it, it's a coordinated effort between several people. Usually not just the coach, and usually not just the chairman or sporting director. There is a balance and coordination to all of it, and people giving Pep the lions share of the blame for all of these transfers is as bad as it would be blaming Rosell. Blame the flops on Barca as an institution on a whole, not on any one person.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Sat May 25, 2013 11:28 pm

Well said CSpurs
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next