Guardiola explains messi's position change

+2
jibers
Nirgall
6 posters

Go down

Guardiola explains messi's position change Empty Guardiola explains messi's position change

Post by Nirgall Tue May 07, 2013 2:07 am

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/guardiola-desvela-por-que-cambio-messi-posicion-2382865

It's pretty interesting. I used to assume that he changed his position to maximize his goal and assist ratio and to have him drag central defenders out of position, but he explains he did it mostly because he wanted him to participate in the build up play more and to achieve numerical superiority in the midfield.
Nirgall
Nirgall
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Guardiola explains messi's position change Empty Re: Guardiola explains messi's position change

Post by Nirgall Tue May 07, 2013 11:54 am

I think people are largely ignoring the topic because they can't speak spanish (i was under the impression that the forum had a large amount of users that were fluent in the language). Anyway, there's another thread in the barcelona section that translates this part of Guardiola's words. The focus of that thread is another one, so I believe it's worth reposting it in the general section. Credits to Barrilete cosmico.

"My first contact with Messi was at a Nike store. Leo was with his father. I saw him shy, as always, I didn't know him. Tito Vilanova had told me: "I have a kid that will become a star". And he hit it on the nail."

"Why does Messi play in the center? In my opinion, the best players must move through the center. I saw Messi as the best player we had, and many times he didn't participate because he was on the right wing. Additionally, we always looked to have numeric superiority on the center of the pitch.

"It wasn't hard to convince him [to move positions]. He caught up fast. And if you played him as a left back, he would catch it quickly as well. Leo is the best defender there is, when he goes to get the ball, he kills you. Marcelo [Bielsa] told me that anyone can see the good and the bad, well even a blind person could have seen Messi.

"Messi playing through the center tracked back to get the ball and the defenders didn't follow him, so we managed to have numeric superiority in the midfield and he could get the ball with less pressure. So some teams started allowing one defender to follow him. Looking for something to counter this, in one game I played a 9 to force the defender to head back and thus give Messi greater freedom to control ball.

"Have I taught him anything? Please, please... his parents taught him. He came out good. The play belongs to the footballers: when I had the ball on my feed, I controlled it, when the ref kicks off the game, the coach paints drawings."

"I had never seen anyone like Messi. And don't ask the very original question of who is better between him and Maradona, my idol."
Nirgall
Nirgall
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Guardiola explains messi's position change Empty Re: Guardiola explains messi's position change

Post by jibers Tue May 07, 2013 11:55 am

Or we just don't care 'why' he did it?

This is the same man that called essi the best defender so forgive me for doubting anything he says..l
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue May 07, 2013 11:58 am

Jibers buttahurta. Laughing
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Nirgall Tue May 07, 2013 11:59 am

Jibercus: He was obviously exagerating because he likes him. But are you telling me football fans don't care about the mental process of one of the best managers of this generation? Maybe you don't care, But others do. What's certain is that I don't care you don't care. If you have nothing positive to add simply continue ignoring the topic.

Last edited by Nirgall on Tue May 07, 2013 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nirgall
Nirgall
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue May 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Nirgall wrote:He was obviously exagerating because he likes him. But are you telling me football fans don't care about the mental process of one of the best managers of this generation? Maybe you don't care, But others do. What's certain is that I don't care you don't care. If you have nothing positive to add simply continue ignoring the topic.

Pls stay safe...
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nirgall Tue May 07, 2013 12:01 pm

jibercus wrote:
Nirgall wrote:He was obviously exagerating because he likes him. But are you telling me football fans don't care about the mental process of one of the best managers of this generation? Maybe you don't care, But others do. What's certain is that I don't care you don't care. If you have nothing positive to add simply continue ignoring the topic.

Pls stay safe...

Just stop wasting my time...
Nirgall
Nirgall
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue May 07, 2013 12:01 pm

Harmonica wrote:Jibers buttahurta. Laughing

How does he beat rio in the air ffs...

That goal is what I see everytime I close my eyes...

I have never suffered so much...

Sad

#savemejiopsi
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue May 07, 2013 12:04 pm

Nirgall wrote:
jibercus wrote:

Pls stay safe...

Just stop wasting my time...

#calma

Yea it's pretty obvious that Messi in the centre created numerical superiority in mf, which is what barca tried to do, but I feel top teams have figured it out now. We saw Milan, PSG and Bayern do it to perfection, and Madrid.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nirgall Tue May 07, 2013 12:36 pm

I think I reacted pretty calmly considering the content of your first post...

And it wasn't really obvious to me that the idea was to make him play as a midfielder. I always thought that he was being played on the center simply to make him more dangerous and because he would cut to the center when he was on the right anyway.
Nirgall
Nirgall
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Tue May 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Jibers. Laughing
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue May 07, 2013 2:02 pm

If you want a large number of comments, translate it to the forums Lingua Franca - German
#bundeslegacy
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 07, 2013 2:14 pm

I don't like how Guardiola continues to get massive credit for this.

Rijkaard said when Messi was 17 he would one day play through the middle.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue May 07, 2013 2:24 pm

jibercus wrote:
Harmonica wrote:Jibers buttahurta. Laughing

How does he beat rio in the air ffs...

That goal is what I see everytime I close my eyes...

I have never suffered so much...

Sad

#savemejiopsi
Why so agitated? Razz
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down