sportsczy
The Franchise
McLewis
Onyx
jibers
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The biggest lesson I learnt from the Bayern vs Juventus games Empty The biggest lesson I learnt from the Bayern vs Juventus games

Post by jibers Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:12 am

The regista, much like the trequartista, is an obsolete position at the highest level. Pirlo was made painfully ineffective. Now when I speak of the Regista I am talking about a sole creative playmaker deep in midfield. Conte's tactics are parlty to blame but at the very highest level, a regista, especually Pirlo, the main proponent of that position, can easily be made ineffective. We saw this in serie A last season when teams put men on Pirlo, we saw this against Spain where different players pressured Pirlo and forced him to play square passes, we saw this against Chelsea, against Celtic against Bayern. The problem is once you stop Pilro Juventus lose their main playmaker and attacking outlet and they don't shift the all anywhere as good, and their MF is their strongest asset.

When you stop Pilro, you stop him being a playmaker and essentially turn him into a makele who doesn't have the grit to be an anchor man. The trequartista has been effectively taken out of football, now it's time for the regista to retire after Pilro plays. A full circle, the man that revolutionised the position in Brescia will retire as the last of his kind.

Thoughts?
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

The biggest lesson I learnt from the Bayern vs Juventus games Empty Re: The biggest lesson I learnt from the Bayern vs Juventus games

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:26 am

I don't think there are many regista's currently. There's Alonso, Carrick, Pirlo, maybe Arteta etc.

In terms of Juventus, isn't Marchisio a creative player?

Anyway I think it's better having a pure DM, with a playmaker at CM. The playmaker at CM can go B2B playmaking, unlike a regista.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

The biggest lesson I learnt from the Bayern vs Juventus games Empty Re: The biggest lesson I learnt from the Bayern vs Juventus games

Post by McLewis Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:25 pm

Marchisio is more B2B, but I wouldn't call him necessarily creative.

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:31 pm

True, however there is always a counter to everything.

Bayern took him away and then pressed high, leaving 2 v 2 at the back...Juve have to take advantage of 2 v 2, its shocking how badly they did in terms of punishing Bayern at that.

There is no definitive in football, Regista is not dead so to speak, the tactics of nullifying Pirlo and his kind is not new, but whenever you focus on anything you have to give up something else. Bayern gave up numerical superority at the back, something you almost never do...but Juve didnt have the players to punish them.

I have said many many times, I dont like static deep lying players IF they dont have defensive skills because they force a certain amount of rigidness and you run the risk of them serving no real function.

So while I agree more or less with the thread, it must be said this is not new and there is a counter to everything in football...Juve didnt take advantage of that counter, mostly because they dont have the players to be fair.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:34 pm

Italy NT play in the Euro would be the counter argument.

Nothing is obsolete in footy. Everything depends on teammates and form. When you don't have players like Balo, Cassano and SES on the front line, CBs can push up and allow your mids to press earlier and more.

The lack of a threat with the forwards screwed up Juve against Bayern.

Last edited by sportsczy on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:07 pm

The Franchise wrote:True, however there is always a counter to everything.

Bayern took him away and then pressed high, leaving 2 v 2 at the back...Juve have to take advantage of 2 v 2, its shocking how badly they did in terms of punishing Bayern at that.

There is no definitive in football, Regista is not dead so to speak, the tactics of nullifying Pirlo and his kind is not new, but whenever you focus on anything you have to give up something else. Bayern gave up numerical superority at the back, something you almost never do...but Juve didnt have the players to punish them.

I have said many many times, I dont like static deep lying players IF they dont have defensive skills because they force a certain amount of rigidness and you run the risk of them serving no real function.

So while I agree more or less with the thread, it must be said this is not new and there is a counter to everything in football...Juve didnt take advantage of that counter, mostly because they dont have the players to be fair.

Pretty much how I feel as well. If Juve had better strikers they would have forced Bayern to give Pirlo more space. You could argue that having a good regista is worth it for the possible advantage in attack alone.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Bayerns midfield just was superior, doesn't mean the role/position is dead.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Ion Creanga Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:53 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:Bayerns midfield just was superior, doesn't mean the role/position is dead.
true, Vidal was our only warrior against an entire Bayern army, and LOL he was so close to join Bayern ... The technically level of Bayern's midfield was shocking good!
Ion Creanga
Ion Creanga
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:03 pm

The Franchise wrote:True, however there is always a counter to everything.

Dani I meant having the regista as your sole creative force. Pirlo is too easy to shut down at the top level. Milan did it multiple times last season, a lot of Serie A teams did it, he is always ineffactive against Napoli, Suffered against Chelsea and Bayern made him look completely ineffective.

sportsczy wrote:Italy NT play in the Euro would be the counter argument.

Nothing is obsolete in footy. Everything depends on teammates and form. When you don't have players like Balo, Cassano and SES on the front line, CBs can push up and allow your mids to press earlier and more.

The lack of a threat with the forwards screwed up Juve against Bayern.

O like Spain vs Italy... where they made Pirlo play square passes and he had zero influence on the game. England let him dictate and that is when everyone started purring about him. Force him to play quick passes and he is useless. At Milanunder Ancelotti, they had so many playmakers and players that ran meaning the opposition rarely tried to shackle him. Rui Costa, Seerdorf, Kaka etc Were Cassano and Balo not playing in that final?

VivaStPauli wrote:Bayerns midfield just was superior, doesn't mean the role/position is dead.

tuddor wrote:
true, Vidal was our only warrior against an entire Bayern army, and LOL he was so close to join Bayern ... The technically level of Bayern's midfield was shocking good!

It isn't dead, but at the very highest level it has been made obsolete. I am talking about making the regista the sole creative player. essentially the trequartista in serie A in the 90s.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:41 pm

It may not matter if Juve have better forwards as well. Bayern's defending is solid and impenetrable. They'd need to improve their chance creation, final third play and maybe change the system a bit too.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:It may not matter if Juve have better forwards as well. Bayern's defending is solid and impenetrable. They'd need to improve their chance creation, final third play and maybe change the system a bit too.

There is no such thing is impenetrable.

Juve could of easily got through with different, not even better, just different, forwards.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:29 pm

The Ostracised One wrote:

Dani I meant having the regista as your sole creative force. Pirlo is too easy to shut down at the top level. Milan did it multiple times last season, a lot of Serie A teams did it, he is always ineffactive against Napoli, Suffered against Chelsea and Bayern made him look completely ineffective.

I agree, but I think its rather bizare to have Pirlo, or any player that deep as your only source of creation...no team I remember with similar players relied on that, they had other options too.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:33 pm

First Spain v Italy game in Euro in pool play, Italy dominated the midfield. They also made Germany look silly in the semis. In the final, Italy was a) tired and b) forced to play with 10 men for a long time.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:38 pm

The Franchise wrote:
Yohan Modric wrote:It may not matter if Juve have better forwards as well. Bayern's defending is solid and impenetrable. They'd need to improve their chance creation, final third play and maybe change the system a bit too.

Juve could of easily got through with different, not even better, just different, forwards.

The way Bayern defend, it's difficult to have a clear cut chance against them. Which forward that Juventus could possibly sign would have improved them against Bayern? They're signing Llorente, however I think a highline would have handled him. Maybe Jovetic.

But yeh, I don't think there are many forwards out there. In terms of chance creation, I think it has to be a team effort, not just an individual thing.

Compared to Juve, Bayern had more of an attacking threat. They had 4 versatile attacking players, whereas Juve had 2. It may simply be a formation/tactical thing.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:39 pm

Would Bayern had been able to pull it off if Marchisio had more vision, though? Say you sacrifice some of the defensive stability he brings to the pitch and play someone like Gago alongside him, suddenly Bayern's task has become much harder.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:42 pm

I think i partially agree with Jibers.

Modern football has made the position very easy to nullify and more importantly, managers don't see a need for a regista. You see most teams playing with more defensive minded players in midfield than attacking or creative ones. Counter attack is being preferred by most managers and that doesn't necessarily require a regista. Against Bayern, Pirlo was made ineffective because of the way bayern press. They press with 3 players at once and that was too much even for a genius like Pirlo. Marchisio isn't creative and he couldn't do anything. Vidal was their best player since he did try to play all 3 midfield roles at once.

However there are still few registas left and managers do try to utilise them because in my opinion, possession is best dominated with a regista and most possession based teams tend to deploy a regista for example Pizarro was Roma back in the days, Arteta with us now. Even busquets for me is a psuedo regista.

But it's like you said, Sole creative outlet in the team is something which has become obsolete. Its either 3 CMs runners, 2 DM n a CAM or 1 DM, 1 creative CM and a CAM. The rise of 4-2-3-1 which most managers see as defensively stable, doesn't require a Regista.

In the end, Pirlo maye probably be the last classic regista left in football along with Pizarro perhaps however i can see a position being developed in the modern game similar to that, but not exact.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:44 pm

I think the Bayern game shows how little tactical flexibility Conte has. The approach in the 2nd leg wasn't very different than that in the 1st. In both games Juve's fullbacks were destroyed by Bayern's wingers and fullbacks.

Also, the strikers were unable to hold up the ball a single time. Every time they received the ball, it went straight back to Bayern. Buying better strikers who can actually hold up the ball and do something in the air is very important for Juve this summer.
The Ostracised One wrote:
O like Spain vs Italy... where they made Pirlo play square passes and he had zero influence on the game. England let him dictate and that is when everyone started purring about him. Force him to play quick passes and he is useless. At Milanunder Ancelotti, they had so many playmakers and players that ran meaning the opposition rarely tried to shackle him. Rui Costa, Seerdorf, Kaka etc Were Cassano and Balo not playing in that final?

The final shouldn't be used as an example. If you want to use Spain vs Italy, look at the group stage game. The team wasn't tired and harboring injuries, had 11 men on the pitch, and Prandelli didn't mess up the tactics.

7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:49 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Would Bayern had been able to pull it off if Marchisio had more vision, though? Say you sacrifice some of the defensive stability he brings to the pitch and play someone like Gago alongside him, suddenly Bayern's task has become much harder.

I doubt it, because they couldnt even bring him into the game to be able to play or not play the passes.

The ball went from the back straight to the front, usually Quag.

Bayern were up high in the midfield on Vidal and Marc, meaning any ball played into them has an element of risk. They went straight to the front with the longer grounded ball but Quaq consistently failed to bring anyone else into the game, often via a bad touch, failed forward pass or not even realising he had time to take an extra touch.

Ideally you want Quad to hold the ball just a little bit, even if it means taking on a player and then finding a lateral passing, allowing the midfielders time to advance.

No surprise when Vucinic came on, he as able to do this, he held the ball like I said, made a pass to the rightback, this bought just enough time for Vidal to get in connect, he did that and he nearly scored.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:50 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:
The Franchise wrote:

The way Bayern defend, it's difficult to have a clear cut chance against them. Which forward that Juventus could possibly sign would have improved them against Bayern? They're signing Llorente, however I think a highline would have handled him. Maybe Jovetic.

But yeh, I don't think there are many forwards out there. In terms of chance creation, I think it has to be a team effort, not just an individual thing.

Compared to Juve, Bayern had more of an attacking threat. They had 4 versatile attacking players, whereas Juve had 2. It may simply be a formation/tactical thing.

Why would a highline handle Llorente? He doesnt play on the shoulder of the attack? He would of dropped deep and kept a hold of the ball, like he always does.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:56 pm

How about Bayern were player for player better than Juve? You can't expect Pirlo alone to take out all of the midfield while Ribery and Robben alone required 2 markers each with Lahm+Alaba joining them. That's effective outnumbering, not some tactical advantage :coffee:
If a midfielder has to cover fr a fullback he isn't available in midfield Laughing
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:14 pm

The Franchise wrote:
Yohan Modric wrote:
The Franchise wrote:

Why would a highline handle Llorente? He doesnt play on the shoulder of the attack? He would of dropped deep and kept a hold of the ball, like he always does.

He would have, but he wouldn't really be going anywhere under Bayern's pressing. A highline would handle him since he isn't the quickest.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:28 pm

The problem is that Conte's tactics (Except for the first 35minutes or so in Turin) were pretty much tailor made for a pure DM rather than a regista. Pirlo was being asked not to attempt to dictate play, but to stand in his own 3rd and hoof the ball up to our front men.

I think it's harder to build a system around a DLP than it is for many other postions, but if you get it right then you can control games. But it's a team effort more than anything. No matter how good of a passer Pirlo is, if he has 3 options to pass to, one is a striker 40 yards away and being marked , the other 2 are men behind him, who also have tight markers on them, then he's going to be useless. And if the tactics were different, Pirlo would have been able to play his usual game. We definitely wouldn't have gone through though, but Pirlo could have been used more like Pirlo and less like a Felipe Melo.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:32 pm

Aside from Jibs, Dani, Sports and 1-2 some of the other posts in this thread are a shocking example of some simplistic inductive reasoning. Why?

-Conte's Juventus failed v Osram's Bayern for very simple reasons. There has been a system spawned by Conte to which has been the stimulating formula to his winning Juventus side, it composes of his 3 man backline with Bonnuci acting as the modern Sweeper (Think Hummels for Dortmund but pivoting central and back); with the wingbacks counter-pressing opposition fullbacks or wingers, along with providing crosses into the box; and a MVP midfield which optimizes on Pirlo's abilities, through Vidal and Marchisio's dual switch role in which both of them based on Pirlo's positioning take switches in a free attacking role and coming back to defend.

So essentially is more a 3-1-4-2 rather than a staple 3-5-2.

Somewhere along the line this year when Conte felt his team was not dominating and winning games like last year, he decided to deploy a classic Swiss verrou formation which involves Bonnuci even deeper and right behind the Buffon, the natural wingbacks to strip their attacking sense and bring it to a flat 5-3-2 in other words, a typical Verrou. MVP? Pirlo then is deeper than usual which indicates for him to perform a pressing role which is infinitely direct compared to Conte's 3-1-4-2 and STRIPS him of any freedom to which he usually plies his creative trade in. Marchisio, is forced to play a KPB-Park ji Sung role directly ahead of Pirlo which strips him of his attacking play, down to another sacrificial lamb, like Pirlo. MVP at this point is rendered almost useless, if not for Arturo Vidal, who has this system built around him in order to almost enforce the mid-formation line in a free role, since he is the only defensive player in the midfield. Makes sense right? Here are the cons of this system:

-Pirlo and Marchisio and the classic MVP chemistry and role placement is essentially dissolved in this sacrificial verrou which renders them as utility players. Why does Conte play it? He usually does in 2-legged Coppa Italia ties, occasional Serie A ties in which he rather preserve points than gain all 3 v competing teams (top table) and has deployed it v teams in the group stages this year. Who did he play it against?

-Lazio & Napoli, countless times this season and a blueprint of it last year (Remember coppa Italia final?)

-Nordsjaelland first leg
-Shaktar Donesk 1st leg
-Chelsea at Stamford Bridge 1st Half ONLY
-Catania in early season
-Celtic both legs
-And 1-2 other times.

What has been the reaction?

-Poor results v Napoli and Lazio.
-Poor results v Nords and Shaktar 1st leg
-Poor results in the first half v Chelsea (Oscar freely pressing the intentionally placed Pirlo)
-Intelligent play v Celtic to win yet highly cautious and far to tactical for such a team built upon a superior system.

By now you understand that Conte does not comprehend this system ONLY works v Provincial sides and NOT v quality sides, especially when you don't have the players to do so.

Want to know what happened in other times Juventus faced these teams with their correct 3-1-4-2? I'll let you guess

It has been the only facet which has tained Conte's reputation in questioning what is an approach which is COMPLETELY polar to his usual system to where this Verrou renders every player as a utility man (bar Vucinic and Vidal) and strips them of not only their finer abilities, but what they are exuberant on in Conte's brilliant 3-1-4-2.

What happened v Bayern? Conte-gate Mark II (Verrou edition) shows it ugly face again. His reasons

-Didn't study Bayern at all intentionally in the 1st leg as only not to distract the players when he formulated his Verrou to preserve defensive integrity whilst taking any chances on goals through Bayern pressing ahead on the door-lock system. Why didn't it work?

-Bayern's tactics themselves are the one that Juventus struggle against which is a quick possession based team who frequently use wide AMs to bring width from their narrow midfield. And now to the reasons

-Conte deployed the Verrou in Allianz Arena in hoping for a 0-0/0-1 for Juventus; its facets were. Two natural wingbacks in Peluso (back-up to Asamoah) and Lichtsteiner to essentially sit deep alongside the 3 man in a flat 5 man backline to which Bonnuci is restricted to be deeper than Cheillini and Barza (dissolving his role). It invited copious amounts of pressure since their wingbacks usually defend by counter pressing the wingers/wide AMs rather than sitting deep in a 5 man, WHICH also subdues Cheillini and Barza's tendency to nullify incoming threat wide of the box. The 3 Italians in the centre at this moment are without their freedom, just like MVP. Most disgusting choice for Bonnuci fans was to strip him of his SW role to which he performed admirably, but therefore unable to connect with Pirlo in the midfield ( :facepalm: )

-MVP, as explained earlier is involved with Pirlo in a role which doesn't exploit his ability in tight spaces, his tendency to roam while distributing passes, Marchisio to freely move off the ball and on the ball (think similar to Mueller's tendencies central) while Vidal is preserved in an enforcing role yet stripped of box-to-box freedom like Marchisio. Result?

-Pirlo cannot be Pirlo. No debate here as how some haven't seen this is shocking. Open space was afforded to him 2nd leg yet a restriction instruction in by Conte will render him useless. It was discussed earlier that this role is better for Lee Clattermole or Claude Makalele than a natural playmaker like Pirlo. BAFFLING decision

-Marchisio IS a creative player as his past managers made the mistake of playing him solely as a b2b guy who isn't free to create (roles matter) yet in the usual (sane) role he is creative (even statistically). V Bayern playing his Conte-gate Ji Sung park role, he is lost and without a doubt highly uncomfortable in a role to which his past managers made the mistake of playing him. (Think Mueller when he was a cog in a machine early season by Van Gaal). He is as useless as Pirlo here.

-Vidal? Freedom yet alone and without any congruency to perform that role beside two players who are not meant for such a role.

By now you understand Conte is using his Plan B system with a team who is not meant to play the Verrou. It would be like Dortmund play slow carving possession rather than their lightning fast counters.

Forwards (who people go on about for Juve) won't make a difference since even if Matri and Quags (or Quags and Vucinic) don't combine will only be a stick in the mud to why the midfield will be unable to supply service to these forwards.

2nd leg, Conte speaks of studying Bayern, he goes on to play the same system except with Vucinic correctly deployed to act in his usual possession holding SS providing to Quagliarella. Problem there aside from having the midfield unable to supply service is that Quags uses the SAME channels of movement as Vucinic does.

It initially made a difference due to Bayern leaving minor gaps to which the strikers attempted to exploit yet when Bayern tightened up; here was the same Juventus inviting pressure and waiting for gaps that WOULD NOT OPEN for thousands of reasons.

Oh yea, it didn't help to play this v Javi freaking Martinez who was absent in the 1st leg yet thrived v a system to which he DESTROYED on a regular basis at Athletic. Oh yes, and Bastian Schweinsteiger who salivates to the thought of pressing static midfielders (Pirlo open like a barn door target) as the Piggy-Javi partnership was in full bloom.

Conte? Smart enough to realize that changes cannot be made to this system (resort back to Plan A 3-1-4-2 is useless at this stage) but puzzling enough to play it in the first place.

-Notice not a single player had a good individual performance? Surely it was Bayern's brilliance? (Watch Bayern v Leverkusen)
It was the most baffling choice I have seen from a manager who I rate so highly. He is brilliant as evidenced by his original system that he has worked on for years and his ability to change the game with some ballsy tactics.

At this point, cultured Juve fans and I are wondering if his wig adhesives are starting to erode his brain.

So is the Regista ineffective? No because Pirlo was not playing a regista role as despite his placement it was a role meant more for Tiote than Pirlo.

Notes:

-Yes, Bayern have built a side focused on Europe since Van Gaal was pulling his shorts down to expose his gonads
-Yes this Juventus side have little to NO experience in Europe, coming into their first knock-out tie with a 42 year old manager who has no experience in European knock outs.

But that is INCIDENTAL because of Conte-gate! Seriously speaking, I was waiting for a feast, I anticipated a tactical battle in which would've come out in Bayern's favour...but NOT IN THIS FASHION! The scoreline and Juve's performance did not reflect on what they can do. Things are not as simple as that as there is a reason why Juventus struggle against tactics used by Catania, Cagliari first year, year dominate better midfields and teams. Conte-gate erodes any chance of mentality (since in the veurro you are a utility man with a job) or the freedom. Its an insult to players who have shone in the usual worked formation, yet cogged down to being a unit of 11 men. It was disgusting as Jupp himself expressed his disappointment in young Conte to why he did not show up to the occasion in taking a risk to take them head on with his own show-piece. Jupp is spot on as being one of the best managers of all time (in my not so humble opinion) and the most experienced manager in Europe outside Trapp, he understood to retain his same tactics because Conte once again shy from the risk needed. All funny considering Conte has shown nothing but balls and leadership. What caused him to shy away from the occasion? Was it his teams inexperience or his own? Was it bad Canoli?

(PS not taking credit away from Osram and Bayern as they fantastically performed to the opportunity presented to them)
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Arquitecto wrote:Aside from Jibs, Dani, Sports and 1-2 some of the other posts in this thread are a shocking example of some simplistic inductive reasoning. Why?

-Conte's Juventus failed v Osram's Bayern for very simple reasons. There has been a system spawned by Conte to which has been the stimulating formula to his winning Juventus side, it composes of his 3 man backline with Bonnuci acting as the modern Sweeper (Think Hummels for Dortmund but pivoting central and back); with the wingbacks counter-pressing opposition fullbacks or wingers, along with providing crosses into the box; and a MVP midfield which optimizes on Pirlo's abilities, through Vidal and Marchisio's dual switch role in which both of them based on Pirlo's positioning take switches in a free attacking role and coming back to defend.

So essentially is more a 3-1-4-2 rather than a staple 3-5-2.

Somewhere along the line this year when Conte felt his team was not dominating and winning games like last year, he decided to deploy a classic Swiss verrou formation which involves Bonnuci even deeper and right behind the Buffon, the natural wingbacks to strip their attacking sense and bring it to a flat 5-3-2 in other words, a typical Verrou. MVP? Pirlo then is deeper than usual which indicates for him to perform a pressing role which is infinitely direct compared to Conte's 3-1-4-2 and STRIPS him of any freedom to which he usually plies his creative trade in. Marchisio, is forced to play a KPB-Park ji Sung role directly ahead of Pirlo which strips him of his attacking play, down to another sacrificial lamb, like Pirlo. MVP at this point is rendered almost useless, if not for Arturo Vidal, who has this system built around him in order to almost enforce the mid-formation line in a free role, since he is the only defensive player in the midfield. Makes sense right? Here are the cons of this system:

-Pirlo and Marchisio and the classic MVP chemistry and role placement is essentially dissolved in this sacrificial verrou which renders them as utility players. Why does Conte play it? He usually does in 2-legged Coppa Italia ties, occasional Serie A ties in which he rather preserve points than gain all 3 v competing teams (top table) and has deployed it v teams in the group stages this year. Who did he play it against?

-Lazio & Napoli, countless times this season and a blueprint of it last year (Remember coppa Italia final?)

-Nordsjaelland first leg
-Shaktar Donesk 1st leg
-Chelsea at Stamford Bridge 1st Half ONLY
-Catania in early season
-Celtic both legs
-And 1-2 other times.

What has been the reaction?

-Poor results v Napoli and Lazio.
-Poor results v Nords and Shaktar 1st leg
-Poor results in the first half v Chelsea (Oscar freely pressing the intentionally placed Pirlo)
-Intelligent play v Celtic to win yet highly cautious and far to tactical for such a team built upon a superior system.

By now you understand that Conte does not comprehend this system ONLY works v Provincial sides and NOT v quality sides, especially when you don't have the players to do so.

Want to know what happened in other times Juventus faced these teams with their correct 3-1-4-2? I'll let you guess

It has been the only facet which has tained Conte's reputation in questioning what is an approach which is COMPLETELY polar to his usual system to where this Verrou renders every player as a utility man (bar Vucinic and Vidal) and strips them of not only their finer abilities, but what they are exuberant on in Conte's brilliant 3-1-4-2.

What happened v Bayern? Conte-gate Mark II (Verrou edition) shows it ugly face again. His reasons

-Didn't study Bayern at all intentionally in the 1st leg as only not to distract the players when he formulated his Verrou to preserve defensive integrity whilst taking any chances on goals through Bayern pressing ahead on the door-lock system. Why didn't it work?

-Bayern's tactics themselves are the one that Juventus struggle against which is a quick possession based team who frequently use wide AMs to bring width from their narrow midfield. And now to the reasons

-Conte deployed the Verrou in Allianz Arena in hoping for a 0-0/0-1 for Juventus; its facets were. Two natural wingbacks in Peluso (back-up to Asamoah) and Lichtsteiner to essentially sit deep alongside the 3 man in a flat 5 man backline to which Bonnuci is restricted to be deeper than Cheillini and Barza (dissolving his role). It invited copious amounts of pressure since their wingbacks usually defend by counter pressing the wingers/wide AMs rather than sitting deep in a 5 man, WHICH also subdues Cheillini and Barza's tendency to nullify incoming threat wide of the box. The 3 Italians in the centre at this moment are without their freedom, just like MVP. Most disgusting choice for Bonnuci fans was to strip him of his SW role to which he performed admirably, but therefore unable to connect with Pirlo in the midfield ( :facepalm: )

-MVP, as explained earlier is involved with Pirlo in a role which doesn't exploit his ability in tight spaces, his tendency to roam while distributing passes, Marchisio to freely move off the ball and on the ball (think similar to Mueller's tendencies central) while Vidal is preserved in an enforcing role yet stripped of box-to-box freedom like Marchisio. Result?

-Pirlo cannot be Pirlo. No debate here as how some haven't seen this is shocking. Open space was afforded to him 2nd leg yet a restriction instruction in by Conte will render him useless. It was discussed earlier that this role is better for Lee Clattermole or Claude Makalele than a natural playmaker like Pirlo. BAFFLING decision

-Marchisio IS a creative player as his past managers made the mistake of playing him solely as a b2b guy who isn't free to create (roles matter) yet in the usual (sane) role he is creative (even statistically). V Bayern playing his Conte-gate Ji Sung park role, he is lost and without a doubt highly uncomfortable in a role to which his past managers made the mistake of playing him. (Think Mueller when he was a cog in a machine early season by Van Gaal). He is as useless as Pirlo here.

-Vidal? Freedom yet alone and without any congruency to perform that role beside two players who are not meant for such a role.

By now you understand Conte is using his Plan B system with a team who is not meant to play the Verrou. It would be like Dortmund play slow carving possession rather than their lightning fast counters.

Forwards (who people go on about for Juve) won't make a difference since even if Matri and Quags (or Quags and Vucinic) don't combine will only be a stick in the mud to why the midfield will be unable to supply service to these forwards.

2nd leg, Conte speaks of studying Bayern, he goes on to play the same system except with Vucinic correctly deployed to act in his usual possession holding SS providing to Quagliarella. Problem there aside from having the midfield unable to supply service is that Quags uses the SAME channels of movement as Vucinic does.

It initially made a difference due to Bayern leaving minor gaps to which the strikers attempted to exploit yet when Bayern tightened up; here was the same Juventus inviting pressure and waiting for gaps that WOULD NOT OPEN for thousands of reasons.

Oh yea, it didn't help to play this v Javi freaking Martinez who was absent in the 1st leg yet thrived v a system to which he DESTROYED on a regular basis at Athletic. Oh yes, and Bastian Schweinsteiger who salivates to the thought of pressing static midfielders (Pirlo open like a barn door target) as the Piggy-Javi partnership was in full bloom.

Conte? Smart enough to realize that changes cannot be made to this system (resort back to Plan A 3-1-4-2 is useless at this stage) but puzzling enough to play it in the first place.

-Notice not a single player had a good individual performance? Surely it was Bayern's brilliance? (Watch Bayern v Leverkusen)
It was the most baffling choice I have seen from a manager who I rate so highly. He is brilliant as evidenced by his original system that he has worked on for years and his ability to change the game with some ballsy tactics.

At this point, cultured Juve fans and I are wondering if his wig adhesives are starting to erode his brain.

So is the Regista ineffective? No because Pirlo was not playing a regista role as despite his placement it was a role meant more for Tiote than Pirlo.

Notes:

-Yes, Bayern have built a side focused on Europe since Van Gaal was pulling his shorts down to expose his gonads
-Yes this Juventus side have little to NO experience in Europe, coming into their first knock-out tie with a 42 year old manager who has no experience in European knock outs.

But that is INCIDENTAL because of Conte-gate! Seriously speaking, I was waiting for a feast, I anticipated a tactical battle in which would've come out in Bayern's favour...but NOT IN THIS FASHION! The scoreline and Juve's performance did not reflect on what they can do. Things are not as simple as that as there is a reason why Juventus struggle against tactics used by Catania, Cagliari first year, year dominate better midfields and teams. Conte-gate erodes any chance of mentality (since in the veurro you are a utility man with a job) or the freedom. Its an insult to players who have shone in the usual worked formation, yet cogged down to being a unit of 11 men. It was disgusting as Jupp himself expressed his disappointment in young Conte to why he did not show up to the occasion in taking a risk to take them head on with his own show-piece. Jupp is spot on as being one of the best managers of all time (in my not so humble opinion) and the most experienced manager in Europe outside Trapp, he understood to retain his same tactics because Conte once again shy from the risk needed. All funny considering Conte has shown nothing but balls and leadership. What caused him to shy away from the occasion? Was it his teams inexperience or his own? Was it bad Canoli?

(PS not taking credit away from Osram and Bayern as they fantastically performed to the opportunity presented to them)

The biggest lesson I learnt from the Bayern vs Juventus games 8x4efr-jpg
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Excellent post Arq

Also i'd just like to say that when we initially bought Montolivo, we bought him as a Regista

He evolved his game now and has become more of a B2B now imo

Not saying the Regista is useless or anything, but I think that Registas need to add more to their game besides playmaking and tracking back in the middle of the park

And the Juve game shouldn't be used as indicator to whethere Registas are uselss or not
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next