Tottenham vs Everton: Make or Break for Spurs in the campaign for a CL spot

3 posters

Go down

Tottenham vs Everton: Make or Break for Spurs in the campaign for a CL spot Empty Tottenham vs Everton: Make or Break for Spurs in the campaign for a CL spot

Post by CBarca Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:00 am

With Arsenal just 1 point behind Tottenham on level games, and Chelsea a mere two with a game in hand, this game is incredibly important in the race for a CL place. In fact, if you ask me, this is THE game. I think it's possible Spurs lose this game and still go on to finish in a CL spot. I really do.

But I don't expect it.

At the same time, I think if Spurs win this game...there is no stopping Tottenham. I think the momentum of two wins in a row, a win against a team challenging to be in European competition next season who is a very tough opponent will carry us through. After this game Spurs have a game against Chelsea. Not an easy game but...I don't see it as important as this one. An away game (good for this Spurs team) against a Chelsea side on poor form...it's naive to think this game is more important maybe, due to the proximity of Chelsea to Spurs and their own hunt for a CL spot but look at it this way. A loss to Everton, going into games vs Chelsea (that one without Bale and Lennon) and Man City (that one with Bale and Lennon)? I don't see Spurs going through that.

BUUUUT. Win without Bale and Lennon vs a very tough Everton side? Two wins on the trot? Proving this is a TEAM that CAN and WILL finish in the top 4? Without Bale to bail Tottenham out? I think with that Spurs can win against both Chelsea and Man City, or at least 4 points. And after that I don't see Spurs dropping enough points vs the likes of Soton and Sunderland and such to drop out of a top 4 spot. But without this game...well I don't think Spurs will do it.

So this is make or break time. It's a tough game. Let's see what these Spurs are made of.

Tottenham vs Everton: Make or Break for Spurs in the campaign for a CL spot Tottenham%20Hotspur%20FC%20v%20S.S.%20Lazio%20-%20UEFA%20Europa%20League-1335186

PAST THREE MEETINGS:

Everton 2 (Jelavic, Pienaar) Tottenham 1 (Dempsey), Premier League, December 2012

Everton 1 (Jelavic) Tottenham 0, Premier League, March 2012

Tottenham 2 (Lennon, Assou-Ekotto), Everton 0, Premier League, January 2012

STATS:

In games without Gareth Bale, Spurs have won 8 of 14 matches in the Premiership since 2010-11 (57%), and 45 of 93 (48%) with him in the team.

The Toffees had the best record in the league for March. They won all 3 games, scoring six and being breached just once.

Spurs have scored 22 at home this season, the worst of any team in the top half.

Everton have managed to salvage 21 points from losing positions in the league this season, second only to Manchester United with 27.

Tottenham have scored first in 61% of league games this season, a figure second only to Chelsea (63%).

Predicted line-up:

------------Lloris--------------
Walker-Dawson-Vertonghen-BAE
------P.arker--Dembele--------
-Siggy-----Dempsey---Holtby--
-----------Adebayor----------

Predicted Man of the Match: Dempsey
Predicted Flop of the Match: Brave Scotty Parker

Score Prediction:

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2-1 Everton FC

Scorers: Dempsey (1), Sigurdsson (1) - Fellaini (1)

COYS

Tottenham vs Everton: Make or Break for Spurs in the campaign for a CL spot Ap-aptopix-britain-soccer-premier-league-4_3_r536_c534
This is the moment we need. A moment that changes Tottenham forever
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Tottenham vs Everton: Make or Break for Spurs in the campaign for a CL spot Empty Re: Tottenham vs Everton: Make or Break for Spurs in the campaign for a CL spot

Post by McAgger Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:30 am

Hoping for a draw. Would be insanely good for us if both teams drop two points. We need Europe next season.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Tottenham vs Everton: Make or Break for Spurs in the campaign for a CL spot Empty Re: Tottenham vs Everton: Make or Break for Spurs in the campaign for a CL spot

Post by CBarca Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:26 pm

Stupid game. Two very dumb and avoidable goals to concede, Tottenham predictably missing width and creativity. We are so bad without Bale and Lennon.

I'm happy to get a point out of the game but we needed 3 points here. Avoiding a loss is important though, now what's more important is a win next week.

Dropping points here is a very bad slope to start though and we absolutely need wins vs Chelsea and Man City if a CL spot is to happen.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:55 am

I'll be watching the game in a few, so far I was only able to watch the first 25 minutes, but if we were able to get a draw in this game and the City game I still think we'll finish in the top 4. Considering we end the season with relegation fodder we should be able to reach the 70 point plateau.

However, Arsenal are facing:

Norwich - the draw kings (1 point)
Everton - another likely draw or loss (1 point)
United - Most likely a loss (0 points)
QPR - likely 3 points (3 points)
Wigan - likely 3 points, but you never know (3 points)
Newcastle - they gave Arsenal a game last time (1 point)

So Arsenal likely end the season with 65 points.

Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:32 am

From what I'm seeing thus far it appears Everton did what they always do against equal or better sides. Suck the opposing team into a slug fest and hope they get a result. Overall, Spurs looked great at times, but that Everton hustle to disrupt the flow of the game.

I saw enough good things to think AVB will get it sorted out in time to at least get a draw against City.

I think the main things that need to be addressed:
1. Ade needs to learn how to 1-2 pass with Holtby and Sigi, because there were multiple times they set it up but Ade was unwilling or unable (due to talent) make the pass.
2. We need to be able to slow the game down when we face teams like Everton who are all about the heart and hustle.
3. Dempsey really doesn't need to be that deep in the box. This isn't the USMNT, so I think Spurs lose a lot when he plays that deep into the box. He has excellent 1-2 passing because that's our bread and butter on the USMNT, and he can't use that ability when he's so deep in the box. I know we need goal scoring options, but I think he does a better job being the creator for Spurs rather than the finisher.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:46 am

Wow, handball much in the 65th minute. Dang.

Right after that Ade should of drilled that shot at Howard and created a rebound.

Also, what happened to Demps power? Dude used to take free kicks, but now it looks like he is kicking pillows.

Oddly, I think this game got so ugly they pulled the officials into it. Everyone was doing things wrong.

Ade has to be better with timing his runs, dude has such great pace, but has zero awareness.

Man that was great awareness by Dempsey to know Ade was there, but he muffed it, but thank god for Sigi.

I think one place Holtby needs to improve is his crosses into the box. I actually preferred the more guided driven ball of Carroll to Holtby's style of crossing.

Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down