Should UEFA change current World Cup/Euro qualification concept?

+7
Onyx
DeletedUser#1
rwo power
halamadrid2
Art Morte
BarrileteCosmico
Ausi90
11 posters

Go down

Should UEFA change current World Cup/Euro qualification concept? Empty Should UEFA change current World Cup/Euro qualification concept?

Post by Ausi90 Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:46 pm

I literraly hate it when club football is on pause, just because of Euro/WC qualification.

There are way too many matches, since the groups are too big imo. Perhaps an idea would be to change the current format where u have one groupstage and play-off matches to something similar to the Champions League qualifying rounds. Teams with highest coefficients should be seeded, while the small teams with lower coefficients gets to fight through qualifying rounds until reaching the play-off with the seeded teams, just like in CL and EL. I think there are too many qualification matches, like does Spain really have to play San Marino, or Iceland twice when we all know it's easy 6 points and waste of everybody elses time (except the small teams'). Let the small teams fight it out with themselves until a final play-off round.

With lesser matches for the big teams, it means less irritating breaks from league football. I wanna watch Inter vs Juventus, I don't care about qualifying matches at all. I find them rather annoying.

Ausi90
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Should UEFA change current World Cup/Euro qualification concept? Empty Re: Should UEFA change current World Cup/Euro qualification concept?

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:53 pm

I find international football more entertaining than club football :coffee:
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Should UEFA change current World Cup/Euro qualification concept? Empty Re: Should UEFA change current World Cup/Euro qualification concept?

Post by Art Morte Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Spain 1 - 1 Finland banana
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:03 pm

I am sure people would rather watch Spain vs San Marino than 70% of the LaLiga teams vs Barca where we already know the result and scorer when the fixture list has been posted during the summer
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Actually the one part of the OP I agree with is that the likes of Monaco, San Marino, Lichstenstein (sp?), Andorra, Luxembourg and the other principates should have a group of their own, the winner of this group should play in the play offs for a spot in the WC. It's both embarrassing and a waste of time for both teams for them to play the big teams. And it wouldn't be unfair - they still get their shot at participating in the WC.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:38 pm

The "smaller" FAs deserve to be able to spar with the big guys, too.

And frankly, I love international matches! (And my team plays during the international breaks anyway Razz )
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:50 pm

I love international football. better for betting too :coffee:

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Well they only last about 1-2 weeks every so often so I don't think there's a problem. CL teams still have to face lower sides when qualifying or when in the groups etc.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:54 pm

@ BC: Its Liechtenstein. You were close.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:39 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I find international football more entertaining than club football :coffee:

This, a million times this.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:52 am

I really don't care about the break in club football. I think there is only two in-season breaks for qualifiers or friendlies.

However there should be pre-qualifiers for certain (smaller) teams!!! While it would reduce load for ALL competing teams, it will also reduce opportunities for small teams. Then again, there are about 10-12 teams (in Europe alone) who haven't made ANY progress in 20+ years.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:54 am

Absolutely. They should play less games. There should be a second tier with scrubs like Malta, Liechestein, San Marino, andorra etc so there are less qualifying games.
Also, it would be great if all qualifications where played in just 2 breaks, one mid season and one at the end of the season.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:48 pm

free_cat wrote:Absolutely. They should play less games. There should be a second tier with scrubs like Malta, Liechestein, San Marino, andorra etc so there are less qualifying games.
Also, it would be great if all qualifications where played in just 2 breaks, one mid season and one at the end of the season.
What if a star player is injured during one of those breaks? That effectively decreases your chances of qualifying by half. I'd much rather it stay like now where injuries don't affect you as much.

Also, I'd hate to go 6 months without int football. When Catalonia becomes independent you'll understand.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum