Qatari Royal Family creating a 24 club biennial tournament in Qatar to rival the CL

+18
rwo power
Onyx
Great Leader Sprucenuce
che
zizzle
Art Morte
sportsczy
7amood11
Grooverider
•MilanDevil•
barca 2011
DeletedUser#1
RedOranje
REWB
ronalessi
FalcaoPunch
Lex
Swanhends
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Qatari Royal Family creating a 24 club biennial tournament in Qatar to rival the CL - Page 2 Empty Re: Qatari Royal Family creating a 24 club biennial tournament in Qatar to rival the CL

Post by sportsczy Wed 13 Mar 2013, 17:08

people would watch.... no doubt. Here's why there massive interest by FIFA: there's assive monies ready to pour into clubs in Asia. The issue is that there isn't a big tournament for those clubs.

FIFA wants to create a club tournament that creates the impact and revenue the world cup does on a global basis. The European monopoly of club football is a target of FIFA and almost all the other leagues around the world. They are looking to break it.

The amount of money discussed for each club would make CL look like a pub tournament.

IMO, the domestic cup competitions would basically disappear or become B team competitions as a result.

sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Qatari Royal Family creating a 24 club biennial tournament in Qatar to rival the CL - Page 2 Empty Re: Qatari Royal Family creating a 24 club biennial tournament in Qatar to rival the CL

Post by RedOranje Wed 13 Mar 2013, 18:24

I think it's clear now that we were entirely wrong about Middle Eastern interest in the sport... these shiekhs and billionaires don't love football, they hate it. This is just anothr scheme in their insidious "death by investment" strategy. They'll keep forcing money into the already over-inflated professional football bubble until it bursts and the commercial game comes crashing down, ending European club football as we know it... affraid hmm
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed 13 Mar 2013, 18:32

RedOranje wrote:They'll keep forcing money into the already over-inflated professional football bubble until it bursts and the commercial game comes crashing down, ending European club football as we know it... affraid hmm
Except for the Bundesliga that mainly caters to the domestic audience in the first place :coffee:
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed 13 Mar 2013, 18:54

I don't feel that it affects domestic leagues at all... cups yes. Continental trophies like Europa, yes. But only once every 2 years.

I love the idea. It would be great to get clubs from South America in a true tournament with European clubs every 2 years. I've always dreamed of it actually lol.

sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed 13 Mar 2013, 18:55

Swanhends wrote:
Art Morte wrote:
Swanhends wrote:

I think this is naive IMO

Youre telling me people wont watch a tourney between Utd/City/Spurs/Arsenal/PSG/Lyon/Marseille/Barca/Madrid/Atletico/Porto/Benfica/Zenit/CSKA/Inter/Milan/Juve etc etc etc?

I dont buy that at all...not saying it will happen, just that I dont think lack of viewership would be the problem

As friendlies, yeah, people would probably turn out at the stadium and a few would watch it on their screens, but as a tournament with any real interest and prestige? No way, dude.

Look at the club WC as an example...that trophy is only what? like 10 years old or something? Not exactly the most prestigious trophy, yet people tuned in

Now imagine instead of Inter vs TP Mazembe in the final, its United vs Juve...with 75 million pounds on the line...

Offer a massive amount of cash to the winner and you can effectively get around the prestige issue IMO

Clubs will smell the revenue, players will smell the bonuses..it would be taken very seriously

The Club World Cup is a tournament of a few games with only the final being a big game and it aims to bring some inter-continental aspect to football. It's very different from the CL. A more lucrative plastic copy of CL would be totally, utterly pointless and I do believe that most real fans would not care about it all. Only plastic fanboys from Asia. It would be like international friendlies; the biggest games would gather some interest but no one would think they're anything more than friendlies.

Plus I don't see where it would fit within the club calendar, so I'll repeat myself: N-n-n-n-n-n-n-not gonna happen.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed 13 Mar 2013, 19:03

It's all about competition dude. Clubs will play in the most lucrative tournaments. Why do you think making CL is so important for a lot of clubs? It's the revenue. Nobody.... and i mean not a single club... is going to walk from making 40+ mil for just showing up.

Btw, when CL went to the expanded format in the early 90s, there was similar outrage lol.

And people watch matchups. To me, you could call the CL game between Man U and Madrid "mickey mouse's grand tournament" and i wouldn't care. I just want to watch the best football.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed 13 Mar 2013, 19:04

It destroys smaller clubs of course Sports likes it lol.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by che Wed 13 Mar 2013, 19:06

Art Morte wrote:Money can't buy the fans' interest. Who serious football fan would give two shts about such a tournament? None, and that's why it won't rival the CL and is unlikely to even take place.

of course it can... push it on enough tv channels and people will tune in... why do you think there's so many epl fans in east asia? they're being force fed sky propaganda pretty much since they first turn on their tvs

to further expand on this, they don't care about serious football fans, noone does... what gets you the most shirt sales and ad revenue is what goes, and the moronic masses who will watch every single man utd vs madrid game no matter what joke of a competition they play in are far more numerous than "real fans"

sportsczy wrote:I don't feel that it affects domestic leagues at all... cups yes. Continental trophies like Europa, yes. But only once every 2 years.

yea, except for the part where the clubs invited get a massive financial bonus and the rest get *bleep* all... i know what la liga needs, more money to the top 2 :facepalm:
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed 13 Mar 2013, 19:12

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:It destroys smaller clubs of course Sports likes it lol.

Why does it destroy smaller clubs? In fact, the cup tournaments become a lot more feasible competitions for the smaller clubs. Europa doesn't cater to the elite really, so i don't thing that would be affected at all.

It's an elite tournament that only affects 2 clubs per league for the top leagues every 2 years... what do those teams do? They focus less on cup tournaments those years. Pretty simple.

Now that i think of it, you only need to reschedule the games that involve the 2 teams that play this tournament... no need to move anyone else around.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed 13 Mar 2013, 19:30

sportsczy wrote:
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:It destroys smaller clubs of course Sports likes it lol.

Why does it destroy smaller clubs? In fact, the cup tournaments become a lot more feasible competitions for the smaller clubs. Europa doesn't cater to the elite really, so i don't thing that would be affected at all.

It's an elite tournament that only affects 2 clubs per league for the top leagues every 2 years... what do those teams do? They focus less on cup tournaments those years. Pretty simple.

Now that i think of it, you only need to reschedule the games that involve the 2 teams that play this tournament... no need to move anyone else around.

che wrote:yea, except for the part where the clubs invited get a massive financial bonus and the rest get *bleep* all... i know what la liga needs, more money to the top 2 :facepalm:
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 19:40

This idea is disgusting. It goes against all the football values and traditions....Death by Investment. Death by money. Death by Capitalism

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 19:46

no oil, no problem

gas money
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Wed 13 Mar 2013, 20:00

RedOranje wrote:I think it's clear now that we were entirely wrong about Middle Eastern interest in the sport... these shiekhs and billionaires don't love football, they hate it. This is just anothr scheme in their insidious "death by investment" strategy. They'll keep forcing money into the already over-inflated professional football bubble until it bursts and the commercial game comes crashing down, ending European club football as we know it... affraid hmm

I understand your frustration and i do agree with you the the shiekh billionaires have no interest in the sport itself, but regular middle easterns, those who make digits and less, actually breath the game.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed 13 Mar 2013, 21:49

It's tongue-in-cheek, mate. Don't take it seriously.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Tue 19 Mar 2013, 07:31

When we are wrong, we will hold our hands up. It’s the right thing to do

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article3715967.ece

it was a made up story by a French satirical website, which Times picked up
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue 19 Mar 2013, 08:42

Legend wrote:When we are wrong, we will hold our hands up. It’s the right thing to do

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article3715967.ece

it was a made up story by a French satirical website, which Times picked up
LOL
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue 19 Mar 2013, 11:24

eh, give it a year or two and this will be legit news...
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue 19 Mar 2013, 12:43

Why would they when they already have three representatives in this season's CL quarter finals? :trolldolski:
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Tue 19 Mar 2013, 14:52

Qatar "....but its an interesting idea non the less, how come we didnt think of that before ?"
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2