Qatari Royal Family creating a 24 club biennial tournament in Qatar to rival the CL

+18
rwo power
Onyx
Great Leader Sprucenuce
che
zizzle
Art Morte
sportsczy
7amood11
Grooverider
•MilanDevil•
barca 2011
DeletedUser#1
RedOranje
REWB
ronalessi
FalcaoPunch
Lex
Swanhends
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Qatari Royal Family creating a 24 club biennial tournament in Qatar to rival the CL Empty Qatari Royal Family creating a 24 club biennial tournament in Qatar to rival the CL

Post by Swanhends Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:03 am

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/europe/article3712126.ece

Huge exclusive by Oliver Kay of The Times: You need a subscription to view the whole article (which I do not have) but I imagine this story will spread quickly to other outlets

Basically, the Qatari Royal want to create a "Dream Football League" with enormous financial compensation offered to clubs in order to entice them to compete in a 24 club tournament every two years in Qatar and neighboring countries that will rival the CL and club world cup...

Wonder what Blatter and FIFA think about this...clear threat to their current power-structure hmm

Discuss
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Qatari Royal Family creating a 24 club biennial tournament in Qatar to rival the CL Empty Re: Qatari Royal Family creating a 24 club biennial tournament in Qatar to rival the CL

Post by Lex Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:39 am

enormous financial compensation offered to clubs in order to entice them to compete
Mmmmmm smell that corruption
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Qatari Royal Family creating a 24 club biennial tournament in Qatar to rival the CL Empty Re: Qatari Royal Family creating a 24 club biennial tournament in Qatar to rival the CL

Post by FalcaoPunch Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:11 am

Will this be in the winter
:coffee:
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by ronalessi Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:51 am

Won't work out. :coffee:

Blatter/Fifa pls concentrate on ref cam ffs
ronalessi
ronalessi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:54 am

ronalessi wrote:Won't work out. :coffee:

Blatter/Fifa pls concentrate on ref cam ffs

everything works out when there is money involved mate
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:03 am

Tell that to QPR
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:15 am

None of the PL clubs targeted expressed interest... two even expressed serious concerns over the proposed idea.

It would, IMO, destroy club football.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:20 am

Disgusting.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by barca 2011 Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:56 am

Would it be exclusive to Euro clubs only?

Idk, even if it's dripping of corruption I think the coin that they'd have to drop in order to have UEFA, FIFA, etc. allow this would be astronomical. I also know that the Arab Money is almost limitless but still.
barca 2011
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by •MilanDevil• Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:07 am

I think Milan might join just to beat Boca to 19 international title Laughing
•MilanDevil•
•MilanDevil•
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Grooverider Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 am

Oh great, the one sport that i actually enjoy continues to be destroyed by the money men....cant they invest in something else instead...

Total shame Sad
Grooverider
Grooverider
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Don't like the sound of this. The financial inducements will only make the division between rich and poor clubs wider, and plus, nothing should replace the CL.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:14 pm

Why corruption lol... they are going to create a tournament and invite clubs from all over the world. Clubs are free to say no. Nothing corrupt about it lol. Clubs aren't forced to participate.

But i guarantee you that if each club gets 30 mil for just being there (which is what i heard), nobody is going to say no.

It would happen over the winter. EPL is the only league that would have trouble since it plays over the winter break.

FIFA wants to break the UEFA stranglehold on club competitions. That's why they would likely endorse this.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:56 pm

The number I heard kicked around was 175 million pounds for two tournaments...

amortize that out and were talking 43+ million per year over 4 years...2 of which the club doesn't even have to do anything

That puts CL money to shame
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:09 pm

N-n-n-n-n-n-not gonna happen.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:46 pm

money cant buy everything, or so i hope
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by che Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Swanhends wrote:

Wonder what Blatter and FIFA think about this...clear threat to their current power-structure hmm

blatter and his cronies are too old to care about long-term power, it's all about the $$$

they already got loads from russia and qatar for their totally legit world cup bids, now they'll get some more AND pull one over platini... what's not to like?

let's just enjoy football while the results aren't officially auctioned off yet...

zizzle wrote:money cant buy everything, or so i hope

that ship sailed a long time ago bro

Qatari Royal Family creating a 24 club biennial tournament in Qatar to rival the CL Chelsea-champions-of-europe
Qatari Royal Family creating a 24 club biennial tournament in Qatar to rival the CL Win_2224307b

Last edited by che on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:49 pm

zizzle wrote:money cant buy everything, or so i hope

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:51 pm

How would teams from around the World compete if they're already competing in the CL, their league, cups etc?

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Money can't buy the fans' interest. Who serious football fan would give two shts about such a tournament? None, and that's why it won't rival the CL and is unlikely to even take place.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by ronalessi Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Reports that this is a hoax?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-qatar-plan-europes-elite-compete-dream-league-082126288.html
ronalessi
ronalessi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Art Morte wrote:Money can't buy the fans' interest. Who serious football fan would give two shts about such a tournament? None, and that's why it won't rival the CL and is unlikely to even take place.

I think this is naive IMO

Youre telling me people wont watch a tourney between Utd/City/Spurs/Arsenal/PSG/Lyon/Marseille/Barca/Madrid/Atletico/Porto/Benfica/Zenit/CSKA/Inter/Milan/Juve etc etc etc?

I dont buy that at all...not saying it will happen, just that I dont think lack of viewership would be the problem

@Che there is no need to be upset, come join the MLS bandwagon, it is a safe place cheers

inb4 you would rather gauge your eyes out
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:30 pm

Swanhends wrote:
Art Morte wrote:Money can't buy the fans' interest. Who serious football fan would give two shts about such a tournament? None, and that's why it won't rival the CL and is unlikely to even take place.

Youre telling me people wont watch a tourney between Utd/City/Spurs/Arsenal/PSG/Lyon/Marseille/Barca/Madrid/Atletico/Porto/Benfica/Zenit/CSKA/Inter/Milan/Juve etc etc etc?

I dont buy that at all...not saying it will happen, just that I dont think lack of viewership would be the problem

As friendlies, yeah, people would probably turn out at the stadium and a few would watch it on their screens, but as a tournament with any real interest and prestige? No way, dude.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Art Morte wrote:
Swanhends wrote:

As friendlies, yeah, people would probably turn out at the stadium and a few would watch it on their screens, but as a tournament with any real interest and prestige? No way, dude.

Look at the club WC as an example...that trophy is only what? like 10 years old or something? Not exactly the most prestigious trophy, yet people tuned in

Now imagine instead of Inter vs TP Mazembe in the final, its United vs Juve...with 75 million pounds on the line...

Offer a massive amount of cash to the winner and you can effectively get around the prestige issue IMO

Clubs will smell the revenue, players will smell the bonuses..it would be taken very seriously
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:08 pm

people would watch.... no doubt. Here's why there massive interest by FIFA: there's assive monies ready to pour into clubs in Asia. The issue is that there isn't a big tournament for those clubs.

FIFA wants to create a club tournament that creates the impact and revenue the world cup does on a global basis. The European monopoly of club football is a target of FIFA and almost all the other leagues around the world. They are looking to break it.

The amount of money discussed for each club would make CL look like a pub tournament.

IMO, the domestic cup competitions would basically disappear or become B team competitions as a result.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next