Are 3 man backlines making a comeback in Serie A?

+12
lenear1030
Milan31
Kaladin
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Superstone Mariomintsch
urbaNRoots
S
Swanhends
billy_gr
The Franchise
free_cat
BarrileteCosmico
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are 3 man backlines making a comeback in Serie A? Empty Are 3 man backlines making a comeback in Serie A?

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:24 pm

If you take a look at the top 10 clubs in Serie A a lot of them use a 3 man backline. Juve, Roma (since the new coach), Napoli, Fiorentina & Udinese have made the feature a common sight. Do you consider that 3-man backlines are making a come-back, at least in Serie A?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Are 3 man backlines making a comeback in Serie A? Empty Re: Are 3 man backlines making a comeback in Serie A?

Post by free_cat Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:47 pm

5 man lines. Very Happy
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Are 3 man backlines making a comeback in Serie A? Empty Re: Are 3 man backlines making a comeback in Serie A?

Post by The Franchise Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Well its 5 in defence and 3 in attack, we really have to make that clear.

But it seems so..but it always made sense for years and years now.

Very few Italian wingers, so why do you require more than 1 player on each flank if you have a player with the required energy? Further more, teams enjoy using 2 strikers or at least 1 striker and a second striker slightly deeper...you always want an extra man back so its logical.

If they have 1 striker, you want 2 defenders, one to cover and one to engage...if its 2 striker you want 3 for the same reason, always giving you spare.

Last edited by The Franchise on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Torosidis :bow:
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:22 pm

lots of people using it, but outside of Juve there isnt really anyone thats had success with it outside of Italy, no?

Napoli and Udinese both disastrous ELs
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by S Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Swanhends wrote:

Napoli and Udinese both disastrous ELs

Dont think that is down to formation.

On the contrary,Napoli had a fairly successful CL campaign last year by their standards.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Szczesny
Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny
Coquelin Diaby Arteta Wilshere Monreal
Cazorla
Walcott/Podolski/Giroud

Wonder how a 3 man backline would work in the EPL hmm

Probably a disaster considering all the wing play.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:43 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:
Szczesny
Cazorla
Walcott/Podolski/Giroud

I actually believe it can work, but like anything you need the right conditions.

The opponents wing play will mean almost nothing, if you have the ball most of the game.

Also you need the right players..I am not sure Arsenal have them.

You could easily have say Monreal picking up the opponants winger when he comes into his position, and then when the fullback gets forward, The 3 man midfield tilts over so that Wilshere goes over to him, Arteta goes into Wilshere's space and Diaby into where Arteta was. If the ball is switched over, the players switch over.

The problem is I dont think all those players are capable of that. I wouldnt want Wilshere wasting so much energy with fullbacks and I think someone like Coquelin might really struggle having to deal with being the main source of overlap down the right.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Superstone Mariomintsch Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:40 pm

The Franchise wrote:
urbaNRoots wrote:
Szczesny
Cazorla
Walcott/Podolski/Giroud

I actually believe it can work, but like anything you need the right conditions.

The opponents wing play will mean almost nothing, if you have the ball most of the game.

Also you need the right players..I am not sure Arsenal have them.

You could easily have say Monreal picking up the opponants winger when he comes into his position, and then when the fullback gets forward, The 3 man midfield tilts over so that Wilshere goes over to him, Arteta goes into Wilshere's space and Diaby into where Arteta was. If the ball is switched over, the players switch over.

The problem is I dont think all those players are capable of that. I wouldnt want Wilshere wasting so much energy with fullbacks and I think someone like Coquelin might really struggle having to deal with being the main source of overlap down the right.

I am really feeling so ostracized. I don't know if there is an actual technical problem with the arsenal section, they don't hold newbie's opinion, or they just don't appreciate me Crying or Very sad

I have posted this before. See next post
Superstone Mariomintsch
Superstone Mariomintsch
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Dortmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Superstone Mariomintsch Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Well, this is interesting. Ive lurked a lot and saw these type of posts, but have never seen anybody mentioning 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-2-1. Yea I can understand the reasoning. It is a rarely used formation this day, added by the fact that the squad is gunned by a stubborn intellect. Anyway, I'll explain the reasoning for this.

The formations:
3-4-1-2
Sczcz
Kosc-Mert-Verm
Sagn-Art-Wils-Diab
Cazorla
Giroud-Podol

3-4-2-1
Sczcz
Kosc-Mert-Verm
Sagn-Art-Wils-Diab
Cazorla-Podol
Giroud

Tackling the weakness
Despite the brilliant defensive coaching from Bould, Arsenal are still always struggling to not being shaky at the back. The record may prove otherwise, however the reasonable Gooners could always see the problems: vs crosses, vs attackers who drag the defense out of place.

Against a league which predominantly used two strikers or one striker and one attacking midfielder ready to counter, added by the fact that high balls are somehow popular/effective; using 3 at the back will be essential in ensuring two basic defensive traits. They are the ability to repel crosses and the single number of spare man of defense vs attack.

The other problem is somewhat hot and cold. Usually its never associated with the gunners, which is the approach play in the final 3rd. It seems that the only constantly decisive member in the final is the current crowd pleaser Santiago Cazorla (which makes me wonder if I should consume Tapas or playing with buffalo everyday). Giroud is too high, Podolski is too invisible (yeah, a God's trait), Walcott too inconsistent, Gervinho too consistent, Arshavin too lazy, Rosicky too dizzy, Ramsey too crazy, Gnabry too babzy, and Chamakh too cozy.

Actually none of the players are really pure wideman, with most being comfortable somewhere 45 degree from opponent's goal. With those formations, nobody would be isolated out wide or up high, as there would still be movements around them.

The justification
Err wait, why do you put diaby out there? Why such a non-used formation? Actually I'm more of a put your best players out there guy. However, I didnt put them where they are without reason.

From the back, for a 3 backs formation, you need at least one who could play like a defensive midfielder, stopping the play early, being the base of the attack. That, complemented with some sweeping and line controlling at the heart would almost always make the combination work.

Then, 3 backs is mostly associated with wingbacks or at least shuttlers who is adept at playing wide. There are several players who suit the condition, with Sagna and Diaby being the most skilled of the bunch should be the first choice. Diaby? Yeah, he was deployed as a left sided shuttler early in his career, much like Asamoah in Juve, Cambiasso in Real, Simeone, Davids, Falcao, Ramires, and former legend Petit when playing for France. With him being constantly injured, Gibbs could prove as a reliable deputy.

WilArtZorla is the backbone of the team and played accordingly where theyre best at. To get Podolski clear in sight of them, put him closer to the goal, with better view of the goal, facing the goal so should be behind the bomber. It would be either as a traditionak 2nd striker or as a midfield attacker, positions which are comfortable for him. Cazorla will again get the connection he desperately needed and Giroud the supply he likes.

The upsides
In conclusion, with these formations, Arsenal will have advantage in:
-fielding the best players
-doing point a without sacrificing the qualities and exhibiting the negatives of each individuals
-minimizing some weaknesses
-dominating the midfield (key)
-better linking up of players
-and somehow being the antidote to the popular formations of the league

I know Wenger have played with similar formations before and I hope he is brave, crazy, witty, and ugh flexible enough to apply this.

Hope you like my suggestion, feel free to provide critics or encouragements
Superstone Mariomintsch
Superstone Mariomintsch
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Superstone Mariomintsch Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:47 pm

That was on thread what formations and why by supercartts. And i was baffled really. None, ninguno, 0, nol response from anyone whatsoever.

It was done in september I think so for now it should be a bit different. You can put Monreal and Walcott in for sure. I hope as this is in general section, someone would provide some response for my post. Thanks
Superstone Mariomintsch
Superstone Mariomintsch
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:49 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:
Szczesny
Cazorla
Walcott/Podolski/Giroud

Krul
Taylor Mbiwa Coloccini
Debuchy Cabaye Tiote Santon
Sissoko Ben Arfa
Cisse

hmm

Like the thought of it even entered Pardew's mind Are 3 man backlines making a comeback in Serie A? Yao

Last edited by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Superstone Mariomintsch Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:51 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
urbaNRoots wrote:
Szczesny
Cazorla
Walcott/Podolski/Giroud

Krul
Taylor Mbiwa Coloccini
Debuchy Sissoko Cabaye Tiote Santon
Ben Arfa
Cisse Gouffran

hmm

Like the thought of it even entered Pardew's mind Are 3 man backlines making a comeback in Serie A? Yao

Coz it's 3-5-1-2 Afro
Superstone Mariomintsch
Superstone Mariomintsch
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:52 pm

Edited Razz
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:00 pm

Milan dabbled with 3-5-2 but Papa Berlu told Allegri that he ain't having none of that.

The same way he is now telling Allegri to put 2 strikers against Barca and to have 2 people mark Messi
[rant]
Well done Berlu, well done. Your 26 (27 on Wednesday) years of experience as a coach top dog has led you to be a great tactician, and what better way to celebrate your birthday than to choose the lineups and implement your own system? Reminds me of a school girl that went to play FIFA with boys for the first time, giddy with pleasure. [/rant]
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Milan31 Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:14 pm

El Shaarawy wrote:Milan dabbled with 3-5-2 but Papa Berlu told Allegri that he ain't having none of that.

The same way he is now telling Allegri to put 2 strikers against Barca and to have 2 people mark Messi
[rant]
Well done Berlu, well done. Your 26 (27 on Wednesday) years of experience as a coach top dog has led you to be a great tactician, and what better way to celebrate your birthday than to choose the lineups and implement your own system? Reminds me of a school girl that went to play FIFA with boys for the first time, giddy with pleasure. [/rant]
I HOPE ONE DAY he sells the club, I am sick of his BS.
Milan31
Milan31
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Why should Milan play at the 3 at the back lol?

You don't have one good CB to name lol and honestly the midfield aint nothing to shout about either( well Montolivo and De Jong when fit is good but behind that its rage enducing) but you have a very potent attack coupled with some very strong fullbacks.

4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 seems to make sense for Milan IMO.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:37 pm

Superstone Mariomintsch wrote:That was on thread what formations and why by supercartts. And i was baffled really. None, ninguno, 0, nol response from anyone whatsoever.

It was done in september I think so for now it should be a bit different. You can put Monreal and Walcott in for sure. I hope as this is in general section, someone would provide some response for my post. Thanks

Well I cant speak for anyone, but I guess the reason might be because its so out of the ordinary its hard to imagine. Not that I disagree with it.

Im impressed you referred to the shuttler and guys like Davids playing it..not many remember that.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Why should Milan play at the 3 at the back lol?

You don't have one good CB to name lol and honestly the midfield aint nothing to shout about either( well Montolivo and De Jong when fit is good but behind that its rage enducing) but you have a very potent attack coupled with some very strong fullbacks.

4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 seems to make sense for Milan IMO.

Its not the 3 man backline im raging about, its the fact that Berlu's effect on the manager. He doesn't let Allegri use his own tactic/ play the way he wants
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Superstone Mariomintsch Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:50 pm

The Franchise wrote:
Superstone Mariomintsch wrote:That was on thread what formations and why by supercartts. And i was baffled really. None, ninguno, 0, nol response from anyone whatsoever.

Well I cant speak for anyone, but I guess the reason might be because its so out of the ordinary its hard to imagine. Not that I disagree with it.

Im impressed you referred to the shuttler and guys like Davids playing it..not many remember that.

Well thank you Mr. Ultra Knowledgeable Poster. Yeah I'm a much calmer person now, but still the effort of writing that long and actually has meanings and ideas in it should be rewarded with comments. I thought it was time, but time gives nothing to that, well it heals at least. That abandonment is what makes me stop posting from this forum after being active at that point really.

Back to topic, yeap I like analysing and I like remembering what people don't and help them by pointing out, so yeah. Now I'm impressed with Fernandinho, a battler who completed 8 dribbles against BvB? Very Happy

@Mole, it is because Zapata is much better at right centre back. And for the same reason as using Sagna-Diaby, they could utilize Abate-Emanuelson, both a regular at that time as the wingbacks. De jong could play at the back and 2CMs of Monto-Noce is disciplined enough. Also front 3 where Boateng will play at right:

Abb
Zap-DeJ-Mex
Aba-mon-noc-ema
Boa-paz-els

But then again it's so different now and 433 might be the best choice atm and for the future Thumbs up
Superstone Mariomintsch
Superstone Mariomintsch
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Superstone Mariomintsch wrote:Well, this is interesting. Ive lurked a lot and saw these type of posts, but have never seen anybody mentioning 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-2-1. Yea I can understand the reasoning. It is a rarely used formation this day, added by the fact that the squad is gunned by a stubborn intellect. Anyway, I'll explain the reasoning for this.

The formations:
3-4-1-2
Sczcz
Kosc-Mert-Verm
Sagn-Art-Wils-Diab
Cazorla
Giroud-Podol

3-4-2-1
Sczcz
Kosc-Mert-Verm
Sagn-Art-Wils-Diab
Cazorla-Podol
Giroud

Tackling the weakness
Despite the brilliant defensive coaching from Bould, Arsenal are still always struggling to not being shaky at the back. The record may prove otherwise, however the reasonable Gooners could always see the problems: vs crosses, vs attackers who drag the defense out of place.

Against a league which predominantly used two strikers or one striker and one attacking midfielder ready to counter, added by the fact that high balls are somehow popular/effective; using 3 at the back will be essential in ensuring two basic defensive traits. They are the ability to repel crosses and the single number of spare man of defense vs attack.

The other problem is somewhat hot and cold. Usually its never associated with the gunners, which is the approach play in the final 3rd. It seems that the only constantly decisive member in the final is the current crowd pleaser Santiago Cazorla (which makes me wonder if I should consume Tapas or playing with buffalo everyday). Giroud is too high, Podolski is too invisible (yeah, a God's trait), Walcott too inconsistent, Gervinho too consistent, Arshavin too lazy, Rosicky too dizzy, Ramsey too crazy, Gnabry too babzy, and Chamakh too cozy.

Actually none of the players are really pure wideman, with most being comfortable somewhere 45 degree from opponent's goal. With those formations, nobody would be isolated out wide or up high, as there would still be movements around them.

The justification
Err wait, why do you put diaby out there? Why such a non-used formation? Actually I'm more of a put your best players out there guy. However, I didnt put them where they are without reason.

From the back, for a 3 backs formation, you need at least one who could play like a defensive midfielder, stopping the play early, being the base of the attack. That, complemented with some sweeping and line controlling at the heart would almost always make the combination work.

Then, 3 backs is mostly associated with wingbacks or at least shuttlers who is adept at playing wide. There are several players who suit the condition, with Sagna and Diaby being the most skilled of the bunch should be the first choice. Diaby? Yeah, he was deployed as a left sided shuttler early in his career, much like Asamoah in Juve, Cambiasso in Real, Simeone, Davids, Falcao, Ramires, and former legend Petit when playing for France. With him being constantly injured, Gibbs could prove as a reliable deputy.

WilArtZorla is the backbone of the team and played accordingly where theyre best at. To get Podolski clear in sight of them, put him closer to the goal, with better view of the goal, facing the goal so should be behind the bomber. It would be either as a traditionak 2nd striker or as a midfield attacker, positions which are comfortable for him. Cazorla will again get the connection he desperately needed and Giroud the supply he likes.

The upsides
In conclusion, with these formations, Arsenal will have advantage in:
-fielding the best players
-doing point a without sacrificing the qualities and exhibiting the negatives of each individuals
-minimizing some weaknesses
-dominating the midfield (key)
-better linking up of players
-and somehow being the antidote to the popular formations of the league

I know Wenger have played with similar formations before and I hope he is brave, crazy, witty, and ugh flexible enough to apply this.

Hope you like my suggestion, feel free to provide critics or encouragements

Shit, that was a brilliant post.

Thumbs up
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:51 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:
Szczesny
Cazorla
Walcott/Podolski/Giroud

Sagna's more of a RB than CB imo.

Maybe Koscielny, Mertesacker and Vermaelen as the 3? hmm

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Lazio are playing 3-4-1-2 tonight apparently, not sure if its a usual thing but first time i noticed it.

Milan will be the only ones with 4 at the back left at this rate Laughing

Berlu Proud
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Milan could probably play it with Abate and Constant as wingbacks, Zapata and Mexes CB. I think MDS can play CB?

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by baresi Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:48 pm

free_cat wrote:5 man lines. Very Happy
This 100% true.... Its 3 CBs.
baresi
baresi
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next