zizzle
VanDeezNuts
Harmonica
VivaStPauli
Clockwork Orange
33 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ronaldo: I'd vote for myself! Empty Ronaldo: I'd vote for myself!

Post by Clockwork Orange Mon 5 Nov - 19:05:56

Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo has admitted he would vote for himself to win the Ballon d'Or if it were possible.

The Portuguese winger, who has a vote as captain of his national side, made the comments in an interview with France Football Magazine, who hand out the prestigious prize along with FIFA.

“If I could I'd vote for myself. Being humble is not too good. In Portugal we say that too much humility is vanity.”

The former Manchester United man claimed he is not interested in a move to one of Europe's nouveau riche clubs.

“I play with passion for football, for the love of the shirt. If I played for the money, I would surely be with another club. All the players love that teams such as Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester United and Chelsea dream of them, but that does not go through my head.”

l
Clockwork Orange
Clockwork Orange
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Ronaldo: I'd vote for myself! Empty Re: Ronaldo: I'd vote for myself!

Post by VivaStPauli Mon 5 Nov - 19:08:31

Thankfully, I don't think many Portuguese people share that opinion on being humble - at least that's what I gathered from meeting Portoguese people that I did not hate.

I'm 90% certain it's kind of misquoted, or at least shortened as to lack context, because those quotes sound incredibly dumb, especially while under contract at the world's biggest-spending club... Okay, traditionally biggest-spending club, they've been overtaken by insane Arabs a bit.,
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon 5 Nov - 19:09:58

He already did it last year. Laughing
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Mon 5 Nov - 19:10:50

i think if you took a brutally honest poll of all the 32 or what ever shortlisted players up for the ballon d'or i think every single one of them would vote for himself.

to be a top footballer you need to think youre the best.

anyone who thinks otherwise hasnt met any top footballers.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Mon 5 Nov - 19:11:55

Do you think Obama will vote for Romney ? lets be honest here, who wouldnt vote for himself knowing that he got a solid chance of winning ?
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Mon 5 Nov - 19:41:07

I'm on the same page with the rest , can't see any wrong in the way Ronaldo thinks . If i were Ronaldo and i could vote for myself , i am not sure i would think twice , especialy after such a season too.

And that should go for any player not just Ronaldo, players of their level can't be humble. They wouldn't reach that level if they were anyway.
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Mon 5 Nov - 19:46:29

zizzle wrote:Do you think Obama will vote for Romney ? lets be honest here, who wouldnt vote for himself knowing that he got a solid chance of winning ?
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by gondov Mon 5 Nov - 20:46:03

“If I could I'd vote for myself. Being humble is not too good. In Portugal we say that too much humility is vanity.”

..and what do they say about too much arrogance in Portugal,..........humility?

rofl

This dude's comments keep getting dumber by the day.

Last edited by gondov on Mon 5 Nov - 20:47:37; edited 1 time in total
gondov
gondov
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Mon 5 Nov - 20:47:17

ya as if messi wouldnt vote for himself in a heart beat..

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by gondov Mon 5 Nov - 20:52:05

vanDEEZ wrote:ya as if messi wouldnt vote for himself in a heart beat..

No he wouldn't.

Even Cassillas said he wouldn't vote for himself. In his own words;

"Frankly, I could not do it (voted). Prefer that recognition of my work comes from outside, rather than myself," the goalkeeper said in an interview published tomorrow the French magazine "France Football".

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/liga-bbva/casillas-discrepa-ronaldo-lucha-por-balon-oro-2242617

http://www.marca.com/2012/11/05/futbol/equipos/real_madrid/1352131474.html

Last edited by gondov on Mon 5 Nov - 20:57:32; edited 1 time in total
gondov
gondov
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ion Creanga Mon 5 Nov - 20:52:30

gondov wrote:“If I could I'd vote for myself. Being humble is not too good. In Portugal we say that too much humility is vanity.”

..and what do they say about too much arrogance in Portugal,..........humility?

rofl

This dude's comments keep getting dumber by the day.

what you would expect from Ronaldo... I think he is intelligent as Leibniz was at 2 years old
Ion Creanga
Ion Creanga
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Mon 5 Nov - 21:05:43

gondov wrote:

No he wouldn't.

"Frankly, I could not do it (voted). Prefer that recognition of my work comes from outside, rather than myself," the goalkeeper said in an interview published tomorrow the French magazine "France Football".

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/liga-bbva/casillas-discrepa-ronaldo-lucha-por-balon-oro-2242617

messi would vote for himself, casillas would vote for himself. of course they are going to say they would vote for their teammates in an interview.. obviously. that what people want to hear.

youre kidding yourself if you think otherwise. everyone in the shortlist wants to win the ballon d'or and would do anything (vote for themselves even if they were quoted as saying they would vote for anyone else) to win.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by gondov Mon 5 Nov - 21:12:33

vanDEEZ wrote:
gondov wrote:

No he wouldn't.

messi would vote for himself, casillas would vote for himself. of course they are going to say they would vote for their teammates in an interview.. obviously. that what people want to hear.

youre kidding yourself if you think otherwise. everyone in the shortlist wants to win the ballon d'or and would do anything (vote for themselves even if they were quoted as saying they would vote for anyone else) to win.

Of course everyone wants to win, but I'm sure many players know they are not as good as Messi (for example) and that they wont win the award.

Anyway, my point is, dont make such dumb statements. Its one thing having self-confidence.
gondov
gondov
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Mon 5 Nov - 21:15:41

To claim to vote for yourself is to claim you are better then everyone else, it comes off as a dick move. Which is why Casillas, Messi and other logical players do no want to involve themselves in unnecessary drama with other players / staff or more importantly press.
He should of kept this to himself along with being "emo" he needs to just shut his mouth lmao
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon 5 Nov - 21:17:01

zizzle wrote:Do you think Obama will vote for Romney ? lets be honest here, who wouldnt vote for himself knowing that he got a solid chance of winning ?

Well, Messi is the better player and he would be nice if he wins it again eco smile .
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Mon 5 Nov - 21:17:40

at least hes being honest.

personally i could care less who wins so i take all the interviews about this subject with a grain of salt

but i do think people are being nieve if they actually believe everything they hear on concerning interviews. particularly when anyone is trying to put themselves in a good and humble light when everyone knows the real answer is that everyone would vote for themselves. thats just the truth whether you want to see it or not.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon 5 Nov - 21:22:06

Ronaldo backs Messi to win Ballon d'Or.
:coffee:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/584/brazil/2012/11/05/3504646/ronaldo-backs-messi-to-win-ballon-dor
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Mon 5 Nov - 21:26:16

Raptorgunner wrote:Ronaldo backs Messi to win Ballon d'Or.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/584/brazil/2012/11/05/3504646/ronaldo-backs-messi-to-win-ballon-dor
Read link saw goal.com stopped reading.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Mon 5 Nov - 21:30:04

its the chubby ronaldo. the lovable ronaldo.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 5 Nov - 21:30:34

I don't really see the issue with what Ronaldo is saying (or at least the part about voting for himself). The reason being that I could certainly find enough posters and Goal Legacy and actual footballers who would vote for Ronaldo.

I understand the debate about mentality, but I don't understand how anyone can say one way is better than the next. If you asked me years ago my answer might be different as I am the opposite of Ronaldo. I've never been a big fan of players with his type of attitude and only more recently did I begin to understand it. One of my best friend and a person who played at a high level has this Ibra-type mentality - he's vocal with his teammate, but he also excepts just as much (if not more) from himself. As our friendship began to grow, so to did my understanding for this type of mentality. And to be honest with you all, I think he began to understand my mentality as well. I've always been a hard worker who lets his play do the talking; I like to earn my respect.

Now back to this whole voting debate. I can't really say how I would act in the situation, but it would certainly depend on two things: 1) Was I really the best player that given season. 2) Did I properly watch the other top candidates. I couldn't vote for myself knowing I didn't earn it, although I wouldn't deny myself the vote if put in the work and felt I "deserved" it (I used the quotes because deserving something depends on who's defining it).

Hopefully I wasn't all over the place with that post...I'll leave you guys/gal to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon 5 Nov - 21:31:44

Oh don't get me wrong, I think him saying that he'd vote for himself is just winning mentality.

I just thought it was retarded to say that he would change clubs, if he was in it for the money. I really don't think he'd earn much more anywhere else.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by gondov Mon 5 Nov - 21:31:51

Donuts wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:Ronaldo backs Messi to win Ballon d'Or.

Read link saw goal.com stopped reading.

http://www.fifa.com/ballondor/news/newsid=1804696/index.html?intcmp=newsreader_news_caption

At 5.38 mins, to be precise. Very Happy

Last edited by gondov on Mon 5 Nov - 21:33:57; edited 1 time in total
gondov
gondov
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon 5 Nov - 21:32:58

vanDEEZ wrote:at least hes being honest.

personally i could care less who wins so i take all the interviews about this subject with a grain of salt

but i do think people are being nieve if they actually believe everything they hear on concerning interviews. particularly when anyone is trying to put themselves in a good and humble light when everyone knows the real answer is that everyone would vote for themselves. thats just the truth whether you want to see it or not.

While his honesty is admirable, it just shows what kind of character he is (although this isn't new coming from him. I don't know why you continually establish a rule that "everyone" would vote for themselves. Its almost an unsaid rule within the elite footballers to promote awareness on other player's performances rather then their own. Don't believe me? Never heard Platini? MvB? Zidane? and Beckenbauer on their personal conquests to promote their team-mates performances? Messi and Casillas both known to value the vote of their team-mates rather then their own shouldn't even be applauded simply because they follow a conduct of principle and humility which is increasingly less present within modern football.

Being good and humble isn't "naive" simply because most people aren't like CR who are raised in places like Madiera where there is a "everyone for himself/dog eat dog" mentality or more importantly the general Portuguese mentality. Quite obvious CR is thinking of this award more then anyone else yet this doesn't surprise me given his lack of class and principle.

Voting for yourself is ridiculous considering it rules out all 3rd person perspectives and analysis of your performance and is rather arrogant.

I truly hope he wins it so him and Mourinho can just shut their mouths about it. Typical Portuguese.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Mon 5 Nov - 21:37:16

I vote for him. Eat it haters eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Mon 5 Nov - 22:02:47

VivaStPauli wrote:Oh don't get me wrong, I think him saying that he'd vote for himself is just winning mentality.

I just thought it was retarded to say that he would change clubs, if he was in it for the money. I really don't think he'd earn much more anywhere else.
His wages after taxes arn't the greatest.
If he wanted he could move to Russia or PSG or even MLS with the highest paid athlete in the world lol.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum