Pedram
rwo power
urbaNRoots
guest7
eyeopener
15 posters

Go down

Who's the GOAT?

Let's settle this once and for all: Vote_lcap26%Let's settle this once and for all: Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 9 ]
Let's settle this once and for all: Vote_lcap31%Let's settle this once and for all: Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 11 ]
Let's settle this once and for all: Vote_lcap43%Let's settle this once and for all: Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 35

Let's settle this once and for all: Empty Let's settle this once and for all:

Post by eyeopener Thu May 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Who do you consider the best GK RIGHT NOW out of Neuer, Casillas and Buffon?

With the attention of the Madrid/Casillas fans now turned from Neuer to Buffon, with the mistake he maked yesterday, Neuer out-performing Iker in the CL show and Buffon's strong season I thought It's better that we have 1 official Neuer vs Casillas vs Buffon thread instead of 20 new ones each 3 days.

My vote Goes to Neuer, simply for the fact that he is outperforming both Iker & Buffon for at least almost 2 seasons now.
eyeopener
eyeopener
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Let's settle this once and for all: Empty Re: Let's settle this once and for all:

Post by guest7 Thu May 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Neuer outperforming Iker and Buffon this season? He can't even outperform Ter Stegen Laughing
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Let's settle this once and for all: Empty Re: Let's settle this once and for all:

Post by urbaNRoots Thu May 03, 2012 1:28 pm

Neuer with Buffon being second.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu May 03, 2012 1:56 pm

Se7en wrote:Neuer outperforming Iker and Buffon this season? He can't even outperform Ter Stegen Laughing
Marc-André ter Stegen can only prove himself in the CL next season, though. At least I really hope that BMG will make it through the CL quali.

Oh, and by the way, atm Bayern München has only 21 goals against, while BMG allowed 24 goals against.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Thu May 03, 2012 2:09 pm

Casillas. :coffee:
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2012 3:11 pm

Which one is a World Cup winning captain? A Euro winning captain? And integral in winning both?

Which one has won 18 titles in a 13 year career?

Which one has yet to concede a goal in a single final they have played in? 2 UCL finals, the CdR final, the Euro final, the World Cup final

As much as I love Buffon, Casillas destroys all three. There is no one I would want more in the middle of the sticks.

By the age Neuer is now Casillas had already keeped in two UCL finals and not let a single goal past him.

Neuer is talented and has a huge future ahead of him but in no way does he compare to Casillas.

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Thu May 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Gigi is the best, in my opinion.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Thu May 03, 2012 3:23 pm

Boring,old,tired overdone, any other adjective you may wish to add.

No one can add to the pre-existing arguments.

So it makes no sense.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu May 03, 2012 4:10 pm

Crimson wrote:Which one is a World Cup winning captain? A Euro winning captain? And integral in winning both?

Which one has yet to concede a goal in a single final they have played in? 2 UCL finals, the CdR final, the Euro final, the World Cup final

As much as I love Buffon, Casillas destroys all three. There is no one I would want more in the middle of the sticks.

By the age Neuer is now Casillas had already keeped in two UCL finals and not let a single goal past him.

Neuer is talented and has a huge future ahead of him but in no way does he compare to Casillas.

It's not about the most titled, or who performed better in the world cup final or so.

Only two who have played at a european level in the past two years, and have been beast are Casillas, and Neuer. But Neuer is the new flavor of the month, and he is pretty good too, so if i was to look at the past two seasons, i would vote for him.

But dont put Buffon in this argument, as good as he has been, we havent seen him on the highest stage in a while. Because i can argue just as much that a GK like Lloris has been phenomenal in his own right in the past two years.

It's not about legacy, it's about who is better at the moment. So to me, from this poll, Neuer then Casillas. Sorry Buffon, i respect all he has done in his career, but i need to see more. Why is Lloris not in the discussion? he is outstanding, but of course no one is watching. It's sad that when we talk about who the best GK is, we just think of the big names. Valdes was better than Casillas last season in the league, has Buffon been better than Handanovic in the past two seasons? just saying... it's as if we establish a hierarchy than no one can break.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Thu May 03, 2012 4:14 pm

What the hell does Titles have to do with Who's better?Also Casillas didn't have anything to do most of the time in the Euro's except the Italy match and the Save from Robben.Buffon had much more to do at the World cup and btw he had already reached a Euro final before.Also Buffon is way less error prone than Casillas as I bet you couldn't find more than three big mistakes for him while Casillas has done loads and loads of mistakes.
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu May 03, 2012 4:24 pm

Crimson wrote:Which one is a World Cup winning captain? A Euro winning captain? And integral in winning both?

Yay ! so i guess Shearer, Batistuta, Ronaldo and Totti among many others are shite now and Valdes is GOAT?

None of those won the CL and Valdes has won it 3 times, basing someone better than someone else on team success is the most stupid argument ever Laughing

Lol @ Casillas integral in Spain's Euro and WC success, place Reina or any other decent Spanish GK instead of him and the end result such was Spains dominance..... Spains midfield and front 2 Villa and Torres were much more vital to their success.

Meanwhile Italy causes one of the biggest upsets in recent history with Buffon, Cannavaro, Pirlo and Gattuso being the key men involved...... its not even a comparison.....

BTW Casillas destroys none of them, he might be better i dont agree with it but he does'nt " destroy anything "

It's Buffon for me and it always has been but Casillas is still a GOAT and i dont pretend to hide that i just think Buffon has been better and still is better ..... also this will solve nothing OP as the forum is dominated by Madrid fans.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu May 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Why are we even talking about career achievements? It's completely irrelevant.

I frankly think that all those keepers belong to the elite, and from a season to another, one GK might perform better than the others. I dont believe in that notion that one is better, and no matter what the others do, they cant surpass him.

Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu May 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:Why are we even talking about career achievements? It's completely irrelevant.

I frankly think that all those keepers belong to the elite, and from a season to another, one GK might perform better than the others. I dont believe in that notion that one is better, and no matter what the others do, they cant surpass him.

I completely agree with that, i prefer Buffon because he's a more save GK and much more aerially dominant and i feel over the years he's been more consistent than Casillas.

But that's just how i feel......
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu May 03, 2012 4:44 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:Why are we even talking about career achievements? It's completely irrelevant.

I completely agree with that, i prefer Buffon because he's a more save GK and much more aerially dominant and i feel over the years he's been more consistent than Casillas.

But that's just how i feel......

ok but you are talking about two different things.

1) you are showing your likeness for one style of keeping, which is fair, but not exactly a response to the question being asked.

2) you are still talking about career perspective. For the sake of this kind of question, it's better to have a time frame to work on. If we are talking about the best, then we have to look maybe at the past 2-3 seasons, because things change a lot in football.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Thu May 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Agree Nick.

I prefer Casillas for a couple reasons.....over the years he's been nothing short of amazing in important games (wins or losses) and those are the games you remember.

And I respect beyond belief what he did in 06-07.I dunno if Buffon has done that...I didn't watch Juventus so I can't say but what Iker did in 06-07 for us is one of the most unforgettable feats I've witnessed. I don't think it's very much heard of for a keeper to be so far and away the best player on a La Liga or league winning team.It was just amazing and I'll be forever indebted to him for being the one that gave us a 2 year oasis between what couldve been a much longer era of Barca dominance.

I disagree with Mole as well.Iker was integral to our success....more so in the World Cup than the Euros.He did his part in the Euros but overall Spain was a much more dominant team then (not possession wise, but in terms of outscoring opponents and limiting shots and goal....mainly due to Marcos Senna).At the World cup though...we scraped by all our opponets, and Casillas made sure of that by having a spectacular knockout phase.

I think if we break it down technically, as in as far as apects of keeping such as aerial game and such as well as on consistency , Buffon has a slight edge. If we take into account durability Iker has a slight edge.

All in all it comes down to preference.

I've never been one to give the technical aspects of a players game the credence it deserves.I believe in the power of moments, that's why I'd have to go with Iker.

If I had to break down everything in terms of style and the fundamentals of keeping I'd give it to Buffon.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu May 03, 2012 6:11 pm

It is a real pity that most people here probably never watched Schalke as Manuel Neuer has been fantastic for Schalke all the time from 2006 onwards when he became Schalke's Nr.1. BTW, he kept 19 clean sheets already in his first season, and that for Schalke with their more or less amateur defense! It was just that the rest of the team never could live up to it so they never won anything of note.

By listing all the titles Casillas won you should remember that he had the luck to play for Real right from the start. Manuel Neuer stayed in his boyhood club as long as he could, and if you'd have followed the flak he got when he changed to Bayern this season, you'd understand why he didn't go there earlier even though he'd been a real top keeper even the seasons before, just for a comparatively low profile club.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2012 6:29 pm

rwo power wrote:It is a real pity that most people here probably never watched Schalke as Manuel Neuer has been fantastic for Schalke all the time from 2006 onwards when he became Schalke's Nr.1. BTW, he kept 19 clean sheets already in his first season, and that for Schalke with their more or less amateur defense! It was just that the rest of the team never could live up to it so they never won anything of note.

By listing all the titles Casillas won you should remember that he had the luck to play for Real right from the start. Manuel Neuer stayed in his boyhood club as long as he could, and if you'd have followed the flak he got when he changed to Bayern this season, you'd understand why he didn't go there earlier even though he'd been a real top keeper even the seasons before, just for a comparatively low profile club.

lol people forget the shambles of a club Real Madrid was in 99/00 and how we were completely written off by everyone for every title and especially so before the games against Man Utd. We didn't have a chance no one thought we would win or could even get a result. But with a young Casillas in goal and an amazing team performance we got through and then went on to win the 2000 UCL final where Casillas became not only the youngest keeper to ever keep in a UCL final but he also kept a clean sheet.

Just because we are Real Madrid it does not magically make our defence any better, anyone who has followed football has known how bad our defence has been not just the last few years but for a long long time we got by, by simply scoring more goals than the opposition, even in our glory years 10 nodd years ago. But through all that Casillas has stood tall, making league winning saves, Euro winning saves, World Cup winning saves and Champion League winning saves.

Before he even broke through to the first team he was winning titles at the youth level for Spain as well.

Again this year Casillas has helped us win LigaBBVA against one of the best teams ever to have been assembled.

Neuer is great and may yet become a legend depending on his future, but Casillas is already there and still there.

Back to top Go down

Post by huntsman Thu May 03, 2012 6:33 pm

There is something more important than the reflexes of an iker, and that's called communication and defense management skills since the GK is the last line of defense and in most cases (like in valdes's case) if the midfield (first line of defense) and the defense are strong then the GK doesnt have to make critical saves all the time.

That's obviously one of iker's weakest departments. I would throw iker today and play adan until i get a decent goalkeeper if it were up to me.

Neuer then buffon command the list, then maybe iker.
huntsman
huntsman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by huntsman Thu May 03, 2012 6:38 pm

Crimson wrote:
rwo power wrote:It is a real pity that most people here probably never watched Schalke as Manuel Neuer has been fantastic for Schalke all the time from 2006 onwards when he became Schalke's Nr.1. BTW, he kept 19 clean sheets already in his first season, and that for Schalke with their more or less amateur defense! It was just that the rest of the team never could live up to it so they never won anything of note.

lol people forget the shambles of a club Real Madrid was in 99/00 and how we were completely written off by everyone for every title and especially so before the games against Man Utd. We didn't have a chance no one thought we would win or could even get a result. But with a young Casillas in goal and an amazing team performance we got through and then went on to win the 2000 UCL final where Casillas became not only the youngest keeper to ever keep in a UCL final but he also kept a clean sheet.

Just because we are Real Madrid it does not magically make our defence any better, anyone who has followed football has known how bad our defence has been not just the last few years but for a long long time we got by, by simply scoring more goals than the opposition, even in our glory years 10 nodd years ago. But through all that Casillas has stood tall, making league winning saves, Euro winning saves, World Cup winning saves and Champion League winning saves.

Before he even broke through to the first team he was winning titles at the youth level for Spain as well.

Again this year Casillas has helped us win LigaBBVA against one of the best teams ever to have been assembled.

Neuer is great and may yet become a legend depending on his future, but Casillas is already there and still there.

if madrid didnt win la liga then casillas would be the leding reason for that, along with Maria, but we nailed it by a hair mainly due luck as we had to rely on the failures of Barcelona to translate their dominance into goals and
afantastic individualistic effort by Ronaldo whom you guys wanted to sell (some still want that) and obviously the hiccups of Pepe Guardiola and his astounding sub-plans.
huntsman
huntsman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Thu May 03, 2012 6:46 pm

/thread
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Daniels Thu May 03, 2012 8:55 pm

huntsman wrote:if madrid didnt win la liga then casillas would be the leding reason for that, along with Maria, but we nailed it by a hair mainly due luck as we had to rely on the failures of Barcelona to translate their dominance into goals and
afantastic individualistic effort by Ronaldo whom you guys wanted to sell (some still want that) and obviously the hiccups of Pepe Guardiola and his astounding sub-plans.
We are 7 points ahead FFS..

Every league winner relies on the failures of it's opponents. It's basic logic, without Barca's failures then for sure they would have a 100% record(Applies to all clubs).
Jack Daniels
Jack Daniels
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu May 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Jack Daniels wrote:
huntsman wrote:if madrid didnt win la liga then casillas would be the leding reason for that, along with Maria, but we nailed it by a hair mainly due luck as we had to rely on the failures of Barcelona to translate their dominance into goals and
We are 7 points ahead FFS..

Every league winner relies on the failures of it's opponents. It's basic logic, without Barca's failures then for sure they would have a 100% record(Applies to all clubs).
not even, we are Champions... Razz
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Thu May 03, 2012 9:53 pm

“When all seems lost…
Iker appears and saves you”
-Xavi Hernandez

:bow:
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Fri May 04, 2012 5:25 am

In my honest opinion, Buffon/Neuer>>>>>Casillas.
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Chelsea

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by huntsman Fri May 04, 2012 5:44 am

Why is casillas in this thread? Simply because he won a couple of trophies.
huntsman
huntsman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down