The Franchise
7amood11
jibers
82 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Xavi vs Pirlo - Page 18 Empty Re: Xavi vs Pirlo

Post by 7amood11 Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:06 am

I believe you can use stats to support your argument, but stats cannot be your only argument.

7amood11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:23 am

They are a nice throw in to your argument when used in the correct context alongside it.

We rarely hear them used in that way, this thread is a prime example of such.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:16 pm

billy_gr wrote:I guess now peopleare ready to accept Messi as the best ever as he shits on your favorite legend's stat sheet (well, excluding this african legend with 11.000 goals in a calendar year, who isalso better than your favorite legend).

Anyways, first stat I read is wrong as Xavi has 4 goals not 3. I am too lazy to verify the other ones

I personally dont care about stat, never have, but the assist are wrong as well, according to whoscored Xavi and Pirlo has 6 assist and every stat are pretty close.

Xavi has 3 keypasses per game, Pirlo has 3.7 pg.
Xavi makes 0.6 dribbles pg, Pirlo makes 1 pg
Xavi gets dribbled 0.4 pg, Pirlo 1.2 pg
Xavi tackles 0.8 pg, Pirlo 2
Xavi fouls 0.1 pg, Pirlo 1.3

Xavi stat
Pirlo stat

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:21 pm

The Franchise wrote:
Diego Armando Maradona wrote:
The Franchise wrote:

I think you need to lay down, I have no idea what your on about.

Some dude said xavi was better than pirlo at the euros based on stats ratings. Thats what im talking about and you still havent condemend it. But when some dude said pirlo is better because he has better stats over a season you where quick to comment on it.

No, some dude (RG) said he didnt agree Pirlo "dominated" Xavi and used those stats to show it. The stats dont have to be the entire story because he is only disproving a point, not making one of his own.

Maybe you should read whats going on here?

Some dude wasnt rg it was futbal
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:05 pm

"Just waiting for franshise to come along and pawn RG and futbal for using stats to say xavi was better"

I was only talking about RG in my posts.

Dont know why I would talk about futbal? I aint resposible for responding to every post in the forum regarding stats. I choose one which I disagreed with. Feel free to do the same with futbals post if you like IDK.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:19 pm

Please stay safe brahs. I am preying for you Dani
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:26 pm

tuddor wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:Just to add flame to this old fire I decide to post this:

Pirlo v Xavi in 2012-13: G 15/16, Gls 4/3, Assists 3/3, passes 1224/1607, key passes 47/23, thru balls 17/3

... succesfull crosses 29/8, stolen balls 39/8, interceptions 30/16, shots 31/23, succesful dribbles 22/14, lost balls 15/9, fouls vs 15/9
omg pirlo twice as good :bow: almost everywhere..

key passes 47 -23 pirlo rofl

Another stat:
Head to head matches Xavi vs. Pirlo: Xavi wipes the floor with Pirlo's lusty hair everytime.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by juventus101 Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:34 pm

Head to head means even less than stats, though i dont agree with using stats either.
juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ion Creanga Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:40 pm

free_cat wrote:
tuddor wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:Just to add flame to this old fire I decide to post this:

Another stat:
Head to head matches Xavi vs. Pirlo: Xavi wipes the floor with Pirlo's lusty hair everytime.

and Meireles and 10 men Chelsea wipes the floor with Xavi and Barca in direct game... Not to mention Celtic Glasgow
Ion Creanga
Ion Creanga
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 pm

tuddor wrote:
free_cat wrote:
tuddor wrote:

Another stat:

and Meireles and 10 men Chelsea wipes the floor with Xavi and Barca in direct game... Not to mention Celtic Glasgow

Pathetic attemp is pathetic.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Ion Creanga Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:54 pm

free_cat you're the one pathetic..

they played against each other 2 games.. one draw at group stages, and euro final win for spain...

According to the logic that xavi has one draw and a win against pirlo, i don't understand why you think Xavi is better than Ramires... who made xavi look like his sister in direct game...

Ion Creanga
Ion Creanga
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:48 pm

I cannot take someone who uses head to head matches as a way of rating a player seriously.

Really?
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:32 am

tuddor wrote:free_cat you're the one pathetic..

they played against each other 2 games.. one draw at group stages, and euro final win for spain...

According to the logic that xavi has one draw and a win against pirlo, i don't understand why you think Xavi is better than Ramires... who made xavi look like his sister in direct game...

They also played in Euro 2008 I think.

And Xavi wiped the floor with Pirlo's lusty hair every time.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:26 am

Jibbs, nailed it. For me personally, I would rather have Pirlo on my team.

free_cat wrote:
tuddor wrote:free_cat you're the one pathetic..

They also played in Euro 2008 I think.

And Xavi wiped the floor with Pirlo's lusty hair every time.

No, he didn't. Pirlo was suspended for that match... And Spain won that on penalties.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by worms Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:14 pm

The Ostracised One wrote:I'm sorry but I'm dissapointed by some of the posters in this thread. Some of the drivel I have read here is astounding. Juve101 I don't really have anything to say to you, I don't think I have ever seen you come up with a logical arguement in my time here. I will give this one final go.

To analyse both these players we have to look at what they do. Pirlo is essentially a deep lying playmaker in the mould of Guardiola, Suarez (inter) and Alonso. This is exactly the position Xavi played before Rijkaard shifted him forward. Pirlo at his peak period in Milan played in a great Milan team with as many playmakers as I have seen, maybe excluding Barcelona. Pirlo played with Seerdoff, Kaka and Rui Costa, so 4 playmakers in the team.

Let me say this and I don't care if anyone agrees but Pirlo at the moment is playing the best football of his career. Should I tell you why? It is because he is the de fact playmaker and he is the man that Juventus look for to initiate moves. He did a similar thing for Milan but he wasn't as looked out for because of the players around him. So those saying that Xavi was a nobody before Pep, they really need to get a grip. He did not have the same responsibility. Under Aragines, he was given the ball all the time and the ball (the team) moved at Xavis pace so he was able to dictate the game and influence the game much more. If you have more touches of he ball, you have more chances to impose you footballing vision on a game, just like Messi has now, because he gest more touches than he did in 08-10, he is able to influence games far more and stamp his game on the match.

For those saying that Xavi depends on Messi get real. what happened when Aragones made Xavi Spains de fact man... EURO 08. It would have been interetsing to see Pirlo used in a similar way to Xavi when Milan had all the afformentioned playmakers, sadly, he wasn't so all I have to compare is that of Pilro in Juventus with the de facto main playmaker to that of Xavi as the defacto playmaker. It's no surprise that Italy's reJUVEnation occured when they made Pirlo the main playmaker. Watch Pirlo under Lippi in 2006 and Pirlo under Prandelli, same man different use, just like Xavi under multiple managers and Xavi under Pep.

No I have adressed the without Messi/Pep nonsense I will go with what I have seen, not what they COULD do, or how they are influenced by SYSTEMS, but what they have done. Pirlo is riskier so his passing percentages will obviously be lower, he used to initiate attacks from deeper and has the whole field ahead of him so in terms of playmaking, he is in an easier position, the front libero as Mazzone put it. Xavi is more mobile and moves to the ball as much as the ball moves to him. He gets into tighter pockets of spaces and for me is a bit better at positioning himself. Now Barcelona come up against packed defences so I can comfortbaly say that Xavi is better in tihter spaces. Comparing their respective 'vision' is difficult because that depends on multiple variables such as runners behind the defence for through balls, tringles formed for passing options, predicting runs of players (practiced through training, which we are not privy to). I would say maybe Pirlo has slightly better vision because he seems to attempt to pick out the runners more, but a counter arguement is that Xavi in 09 was ridiculous when he had Henry, Messi and Eto'o to pick out, so again it is far to tight. Decision making, well they are both excellent but I would say Xavi slightly edges it. Decision for me is doing something that works most of the time and since Pirlo attempts riskier passes, with the fail rate likely to be higher, I would say Xavi is better based on MY definition. Thats just me. Pirlo is better at positioning himself in defensive manner but I can argue that Xavi is actaually better at defending and taking the ball off people so noone has a particular defensive edge for me.

All in all I would say that Xavi slightly edges it and that is for me because Pirlo has/can be marked out and made completely ineffective because of his role. He moves within the same zones and games where he has been marked out like the Final in in the Euros, Emmanuelson in the Milan games last season, Oscar in the Chelsea game. These are just examples I am giving to you, but because they are the ones off the top of my head. In games where he is left unchecked, you get games like the England game, the Sienna game, the Atalanta game this season I thinl scratch , . Xavi is extremely hard to man mark and the only man that I have seen out gun Xavi and take him out of the game is Banega, a man that only turns up for Barcelona games. So for me Xavi is slightly better, but the difference is not enough to say that he is utterly superior like some people are making it sound.

Ball control I would give it to Xavi slightly, Short Passing Xavi's passes are slightly faster and better weighted but Pirlo for me is better at long balls, but again the differences are not enough. I PREFER Pirlo's passing technique because he looks more fluid in his movements and is aesthetically better. Xavi is better at creating space for his team mates. Now dribbling is difficult, they both dribble in different ways but Xavi again is superior in the way he uses feints to Xavi vs Pirlo - Page 18 37329810 people such as the pelopina. Pirlo a lot of the times attampts tricks but has a higher turnover rate, but he is also good with feints but not as good as Xavi. Set pieces they are even, maybe I will give Pirlo the edge in free kicks.

My conclusion is that Xavi is slightly better, but just by a tiny bit. So if I use an arbitary method of comparison, out of a 100 (being the perfect playmaker), Xavi is 92 and Pilro is 90. Differences are negligble.

This is probably the best and most sensible post in this thread.I agree with nearly everything here.The major thing I would disagree with was when you compared both their free kicks,Pirlo is comfortably better than Xavi at Free Kicks and Long range shooting.Though Xavi is still above average at this.

I have been watching football for only about 12 years so all I can say is Xavi is the best CM I have ever seen.I have him just ahead of Pirlo personally,I know they play different positions but I just think Xavis game is harder to replicate.He gets less time on the ball than Pirlo and he is involved in all the transitions when Barcelona are building an attack.For example he will get the ball from a defender pass it to Busquets,move into space, receive the ball again under pressure but evade his marker using his amazing ball control(Slightly better than Pirlos for me,Xavi is more comfortable when dribbiling with the ball and keeps the ball closer to his foot.) and then pass it forward to someone.He will normally have a few separate touches of the ball when Barca are building an attack before timing a run into the box.A complete midfielder if ever there was one.His football intelligence and specifically the ability to "run a game" is unparalleled.

For the record though Pirlo was clearly the superior player and the best player in the tournament overall in the last Euros,the only game were Xavi was clearly better was the final.For reasons influenced by both Spains and Italys performances Pirlo played poor.

Don't forget though Xavi was being played out of position in the Euros.Do you think Pirlo would be mobile and athletic enough to play as an attacking midfielder like Xavi did for example?

And to the Juve fan saying Xavi only looks so good for Barca because of Messi that opinion is automatically rendered redundant when you consider Xavis dominance at international level as well.Xavi should have won the Baloon d'or for 2010 imo,he was so dominant throughout the whole year,won the world cup yet they give to Messi again.It's a bit stupid if you ask me the way in previous world cup years World Cup winners won the award.Most of them been nowhere near as good and consistent as Xavi was at club level as well as in the World Cup that year.

Anyway I will end this long post with a couple of videos of Xavi and Pirlo I made,both of Xavis video are of games talked about in this thread:

Pirlo vs Shakhtar(Away) - metacafe.com/watch/9585225/pirlo_vs_fc_shakhtar_donetsk/

Xavi vs Italy Euro Final - metacafe.com/watch/9139005/xavi_vs_italy_euro_final_2012/

And one of the greatest international performances of all time IMO,just watch and see how dominating he is against a great team like Germany,sublime performance.Xavi vs Germany SF WC -

metacafe.com/watch/8882227/xavi_vs_germany_2010/

worms
worms
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:20 pm

Excellent post worms. Welcome to the forum Thumbs up
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by juventus101 Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:38 pm

Xavi shouldve won the Ballon Dor in 2010? There goes your argument with that. Sneijder, Messi, and Robben all came long before Xavi.
juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:10 am

No
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:12 am

btw, wasn't the original question which one would you prefer in your team?
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by worms Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:44 am

Thanks Real Gunner and Juventus 101 we will have to agree to disagree about that.Messi,Robben and Sneider were definitely all contenders but none of them were as consistent as Xavi that year.Sneiders performances in the World Cup were highly overrated because he scored 5 goals while most of them deflections or GK mistakes.His overall game weren't nothing special in that World Cup,I was much more impressed with Robben for Holland.I have heard people say Sneider should win the Baloon D'or for 2010 because he won the treble and reached the World Cup final but some people have just judged his performances by a few games in the CL that year while ignoring the fact he was very inconsistent in Serie A.Xavi on the other hand bossed games consistently in La Liga,CL and the World Cup while playing out of position.One could argue Messi was just as consistent for Barcelona as Xavi but Messi played relatively poorly in the World Cup unlike Xavi.Also I watched all Barcas games that year and even though Messi grabbed all the headlines I think Xavis performances were slightly better that year for Barca.Just my opinion.
worms
worms
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by juventus101 Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:26 am

Well theres no way to prove whose better, so well agree to diaagree on this one. The thing is, Spain were already heavy favorites to win the WC. Theres no suprise in that. Barely anyone though the Netherlanda would even make the semis, much less go to extra time with Spain in the final. And when it mattered, Xavi and Messi both were stoppwd by Inter. Alao, Sneijder was actually very consistent throughout that season and so was Robben. So i would take:

Underdog getting to WC Final + Underdog Treble (Thanks to SNEIJDER) or Underdog getting to CL final + Underdog getting to WC Final (Thanks to ROBBEN), over Favorite getting knocked out in Semis of CL + Favorite winning WC (Xavi). Messi is another story cuz everyone knows hes the best. So it shouldve been Robben, Sbeijder, or Messi over Xavi in my opinion and thats why. An argument could even be made for Milito over Xavi in my opinion.
juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by worms Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:57 pm

"Spain were already heavy favorites to win the WC. " Actually they were joint favorites with Brazil,one of the main reasons why Spain were favorites was because they had just previously won the Euros were Xavi won player of the tournament.

"Xavi and Messi both were stoppwd by Inter." If I wanted to I could say when it mattered Sneider and Robben were stopped by Spain,but that would be a childish argument ignoring various reasons why that happened.

"Sneijder was actually very consistent throughout that season " You're the first person I have heard say that.What I know for sure is he was not as good as Xavi,did you watch Barcelona in La Liga that year?

"Underdog getting to WC Final (Thanks to SNEIJDER)" ...."Underdog getting to WC Final (Thanks to Robben)"

You just contradicted yourself in the same sentence.Anyway football is a team game and when you credit Hollands and Inters/Bayerns success to Sneider/Robben but then you don't do the same when talking about Xavis successes it just shows how biased you are.

"Messi is another story cuz everyone knows hes the best."

It doesn't matter if he is the best player,the award is for the best player in the 2010 calender year and I think Xavi was better than him.This is getting off topic now and I have said everything I need to say,this will be my last post about the 2010 Baloon d'or.The thread was about comparing Xavi to Pirlo and which player you would rather have in your team,Xavi is winning this debate comfortably so far.

worms
worms
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by juventus101 Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:19 pm

Im biased towards the Netherlands? Or Inter? Are you kidding me?

You should know that i meant that rhey got.to the WC final thanks to both of them. Use some common sense. I dont understand how you can try to say Snwijder was inconsistent, when his team won the Treble and he was well known to be the best player on that team.

Brazil were no more join favorites than Germany. Even less so. The only reason they wouldve been up there wouldve been on reputation alone. Germany at least had an amazing squad to back up their rep. But Spain were clear favorites.

I dont keep up with La Liga as much as some of you but i do like to catch the big games like the Classicos, Barca/Madrid vs Valencia/Atletico/Villareal(when they were good). So i see enough.

Also, Spain were the better team in the final overall, but the Netherlands had the better chances. Most notably when Robben skinned both Pique and Puyol, shouldve got a penalty, but stayed up and shot, which Casillas brilliantly saves.

And i dont completely agree with the way the Ballong Dor works, but either way Xavi wasnt in the running. In terms of talent Messi is far and away the best. In terms of performances Robben, Sneikder, and maybe even Milito were above Xavi.
juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by worms Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:21 pm

"But Spain were clear favorites." No they weren't,it's a fact that Brazil and Spain were joint favorites with the bookies.
worms
worms
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:09 pm

worms nailing it :bow:
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by juventus101 Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:19 pm

With the bookies. Exactly. Which means jack sh*t. Anyone that thinks Brazil were on a level with Spain or even Germany is out of their mind. What great players did Brazil even have? A late 30's Gilberto Silva, an 18 year old Neymar...oh, Felipe Melo! What a star!
juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next