How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician?

+46
paperbackwriter
Beautiful Football
manlio
FennecFox7
djellisdee
Seppuku
Onyx
Le Samourai
Freeza
Albiceleste
Dnmac4
Gomez83
leemhuis
jibers
kiranr
Die Borussen
billionmillion
Magricos
the xcx
Valkyrja
Arquitecto
SaintJoe
guest7
BarrileteCosmico
baresi
Jonathan28
izzy
Doc
Gil
Adit
Swanhends
REWB
RealGunner
che
hrealmadrid
Potential
VanDeezNuts
la bestia negra
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Mr Nick09
halamadrid2
StevieRayVaughan
Pedram
aunshi
The Franchise
EarlyPrototype
50 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

?

How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician? Vote_lcap39%How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician? Vote_rcap 39% 
[ 28 ]
How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician? Vote_lcap25%How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 18 ]
How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician? Vote_lcap15%How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician? Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 11 ]
How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician? Vote_lcap6%How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 4 ]
How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician? Vote_lcap14%How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 10 ]

Total Votes : 71

How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician? Empty How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician?

Post by EarlyPrototype Mon 23 Jan - 17:40:39

Not as a manager, but as a tactician.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician? Empty Re: How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician?

Post by The Franchise Mon 23 Jan - 17:45:02

Not so highly, obviously not bad though. He is a good tactican, but not great or anything "special".

Pep has outdone him far too often now and some of his own decisions in those games have been suspect too.

The only time I felt he really did a good job vs Pep was Inter 1st leg, but its also true Pep made a rare mistake and not having Iniesta did him no favours with that mistake.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician? Empty Re: How highly do you rate Mourinho as a tactician?

Post by EarlyPrototype Mon 23 Jan - 17:47:13

I think he is overrated as a tactician. He is only a world class manager because of his man management skills.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by aunshi Mon 23 Jan - 17:48:09

Being beneath Pep is no bad thing, seems everyone is in the past 3 years.

I would put Mou in the top 5, probably couldn't name more than 4 managers I consider higher.

aunshi
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Mon 23 Jan - 17:49:43

These are the coaches that i think are better than Mourinho tactically.

1. Pep Guardiola
2. Arsene Wenger
3. Joachim Löw
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieRayVaughan Mon 23 Jan - 17:59:46

The Franchise wrote:Not so highly, obviously not bad though. He is a good tactican, but not great or anything "special".

Pep has outdone him far too often now and some of his own decisions in those games have been suspect too.

The only time I felt he really did a good job vs Pep was Inter 1st leg, but its also true Pep made a rare mistake and not having Iniesta did him no favours with that mistake.

In my opinion, Pep hasn't "outdone" Mou, in a sense that Pep's tactics are way superior. I just think Pep has the better set of players with him. I think Mou's tactics even the last classico was going to plan at 1-0. However, when you defenders make such silly mistakes like Pepe's setpiece (he is normally good at it). Then bad positioning for the second goal, I do feel bad for the manager. Sure we can say ohh...he should have trained them well enough etc..but at the end of the day the tactician only provides the structure in the team. It is upto the players to win you games. The fact is that Barca's players consistently perform in El classico, whereas the Real players don't.

This may not mean much but to us neutrals, who would anyone have to coach a team like Levante, Stoke, Swansea, or any mid table teams? I think I would think (this is all hypothetical and my opinion) but Mou will do a better job at most of those jobs.

I actually get disappointed with many of Pep's tactics tbh. Not saying he is a bad tactician, but on a rating of 1-10, I would probably give him a 7 at most. I feel he is a great motivator, also a great manager but I think it is his players like Messi and Iniesta who consistently get him out of trouble. In both classico, I atleast felt that it was them to got themselves out of trouble, although Pep's motivational speech definitely did its part. Whereas, I can recall even in the last few weeks, Mou had to make subs against Malaga, Mallorca, whereas his subs actually scored and assisted etc. Maybe Mou has a better bench? Sure. But Pep also has superior first team players. Also when you have Messi in your team, life is not too bad is it?

Also I voted top 3 for Mou. Definitely not a master, I dont think most of the coaches are anyway.

Last edited by Mr.Hendrix on Mon 23 Jan - 18:01:59; edited 1 time in total

StevieRayVaughan
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Mon 23 Jan - 18:01:07

El Pipita wrote:These are the coaches that i think are better than Mourinho tactically.

1. Pep Guardiola
2. Arsene Wenger
3. Joachim Löw

not sure if serious
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon 23 Jan - 18:02:08

Why is Low a better tactician than Mourinho?
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon 23 Jan - 18:02:31

Benitez is better than him tactically IMO( proved as such on a few occasions), Mourinho is a good tactician but not a great one....

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by la bestia negra Mon 23 Jan - 18:03:20

halamadrid2 wrote:
El Pipita wrote:These are the coaches that i think are better than Mourinho tactically.

1. Pep Guardiola
2. Arsene Wenger
3. Joachim Löw

not sure if serious

id like to see mou mange arsenal
la bestia negra
la bestia negra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Mon 23 Jan - 18:08:44

supra969 wrote:
halamadrid2 wrote:

1. Pep Guardiola
2. Arsene Wenger
3. Joachim Löw

not sure if serious

would do much better than Wenger, would make them win PL in his second season

Pellegrini is a better tactician than Wenger much better in fact
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon 23 Jan - 18:15:06

Mr.Hendrix wrote:
The Franchise wrote:Not so highly, obviously not bad though. He is a good tactican, but not great or anything "special".

In my opinion, Pep hasn't "outdone" Mou, in a sense that Pep's tactics are way superior. I just think Pep has the better set of players with him. I think Mou's tactics even the last classico was going to plan at 1-0. However, when you defenders make such silly mistakes like Pepe's setpiece (he is normally good at it). Then bad positioning for the second goal, I do feel bad for the manager. Sure we can say ohh...he should have trained them well enough etc..but at the end of the day the tactician only provides the structure in the team. It is upto the players to win you games. The fact is that Barca's players consistently perform in El classico, whereas the Real players don't.

This may not mean much but to us neutrals, who would anyone have to coach a team like Levante, Stoke, Swansea, or any mid table teams? I think I would think (this is all hypothetical and my opinion) but Mou will do a better job at most of those jobs.

I actually get disappointed with many of Pep's tactics tbh. Not saying he is a bad tactician, but on a rating of 1-10, I would probably give him a 7 at most. I feel he is a great motivator, also a great manager but I think it is his players like Messi and Iniesta who consistently get him out of trouble. In both classico, I atleast felt that it was them to got themselves out of trouble, although Pep's motivational speech definitely did its part. Whereas, I can recall even in the last few weeks, Mou had to make subs against Malaga, Mallorca, whereas his subs actually scored and assisted etc. Maybe Mou has a better bench? Sure. But Pep also has superior first team players. Also when you have Messi in your team, life is not too bad is it?

Also I voted top 3 for Mou. Definitely not a master, I dont think most of the coaches are anyway.

Pep has clearly outdone him.

The nulification of Ozil, the nulification of Cristiano (though that isnt hard really), the freeing up of Dani Alves, the 351 which clearly Mou had no answer too..there is more, but it would take me actually going back to look to remember them and im too lazy for it.

I think its easy to cast off Pep´s work as "better players" but clearly, his use of his players has consistently been better.

The tactics werent going well at 1-0, just because they were winning. They hadnt made many chances, Barca had...its easy for the scoreline to hide the pattern of the game, but looking back, the pattern had already been set.

Again, its very easy to blame players "not showing up" at Classico, but there is are reasons for it, tactics being one of them.

Maybe you need to look closer at what Pep is doing, frankly, he is one of the best in the game tactically. Classico´s and otherwise.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Mon 23 Jan - 18:15:23

people that rated below 10 i challenge you to name 11 better tacticians

just curious to see.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieRayVaughan Mon 23 Jan - 18:27:31

The Franchise wrote:
Mr.Hendrix wrote:

The nulification of Ozil, the nulification of Cristiano (though that isnt hard really), the freeing up of Dani Alves, the 351 which clearly Mou had no answer too..there is more, but it would take me actually going back to look to remember them and im too lazy for it.

I think its easy to cast off Pep´s work as "better players" but clearly, his use of his players has consistently been better.

The tactics werent going well at 1-0, just because they were winning. They hadnt made many chances, Barca had...its easy for the scoreline to hide the pattern of the game, but looking back, the pattern had already been set.

Again, its very easy to blame players "not showing up" at Classico, but there is are reasons for it, tactics being one of them.

Maybe you need to look closer at what Pep is doing, frankly, he is one of the best in the game tactically. Classico´s and otherwise.

Obviously I dont mean to say Pep is not a good tactician, but nullification of Ozil is credited to Pep? Or it is that Barca are amazing at keeping and retaining the ball, they have possession for 60/70% of the game, on the other hand, Ozil needs the ball to suceed. If Ozil doesn't get the ball, he will get nullified. And clearly Mou doesnt get enough of the posession from Barca. I credit that to the playing style of Barca, and obviously Pep is a big part of it. I guess I can see your point.

My point was that the La Liga classico, Madrid could have won if Ronaldo had scored those chances (obviosuly what ifs) but they didnt. Thus why does Pep gets credit for nullifying Ronaldo in that game? Did he nullify Ronaldo? No, because he had many chances to win the game. He didn't because of some mental block or just having a poor game.

My point was that the difference between winning and losing is not always tactics, infact it is often a moment of genius or a mistake from another team. And Barca has far superior players in that aspect, thus the reason why Pep is doing so well. Not the only reason, ofc not, but one huge reason.

StevieRayVaughan
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Post by Potential Mon 23 Jan - 18:39:32

For those who voted Mastermind, I have one word for you. Trapattoni.
Potential
Potential
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by hrealmadrid Mon 23 Jan - 18:42:55

Wenger? Neutral
hrealmadrid
hrealmadrid
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by che Mon 23 Jan - 18:46:19

definitely second best to guardiola, i'd like to see bielsa have a shot with a big team to compare him... voted top 3 since i barely watch football outside la liga

as far as i'm concerned, mourinho's tactic is to throw money at everyone until he has a better squad than everyone else in the league, then steamroll through the league because you have a better squad than everyone else

inb4 porto and inter - benitez had more than two great cup runs, if mourinho was the jesus of tactics like half of this forum treats him, he would have had at least one cl with the chelsea side that was raping epl for three years
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon 23 Jan - 18:51:06

halamadrid2 wrote:
supra969 wrote:
halamadrid2 wrote:

1. Pep Guardiola
2. Arsene Wenger
3. Joachim Löw

not sure if serious

would do much better than Wenger, would make them win PL in his second season

Pellegrini is a better tactician than Wenger much better in fact

LOL

I would love to see Mourinho work in a 15m Budget per year.

Pellegrini :lucas:
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Mon 23 Jan - 18:57:13

lol pellegrini.... :facepalm: some laliga fans and their deluded bobble...infact no its not some laliga fans its just halamadrid...he's been making alot of fail comments lately...
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon 23 Jan - 18:57:24

Mr.Hendrix wrote:
The Franchise wrote:
Mr.Hendrix wrote:

Obviously I dont mean to say Pep is not a good tactician, but nullification of Ozil is credited to Pep? Or it is that Barca are amazing at keeping and retaining the ball, they have possession for 60/70% of the game, on the other hand, Ozil needs the ball to suceed. If Ozil doesn't get the ball, he will get nullified. And clearly Mou doesnt get enough of the posession from Barca. I credit that to the playing style of Barca, and obviously Pep is a big part of it. I guess I can see your point.

My point was that the La Liga classico, Madrid could have won if Ronaldo had scored those chances (obviosuly what ifs) but they didnt. Thus why does Pep gets credit for nullifying Ronaldo in that game? Did he nullify Ronaldo? No, because he had many chances to win the game. He didn't because of some mental block or just having a poor game.

My point was that the difference between winning and losing is not always tactics, infact it is often a moment of genius or a mistake from another team. And Barca has far superior players in that aspect, thus the reason why Pep is doing so well. Not the only reason, ofc not, but one huge reason.

Pepe does nothing but foul Messi in the midfield and people still want to claim its a great tactical move that "works". Ozil is shut off everygame and yes, possession is the reason, but how about the job Busquets does to shut him off, but also play centerback in the same game? Or that pushing up of the fullbacks which drag the wings high up the pitch and leave Ozil with no forward or even sideways passing options? These are Pep tactics which are being carried out.

In that 3-1, Pep constantly made changes in the game, the team was adjusting as the game went on and players were shifting all over the place for the ideal line up. What did Mou do? Nothing...he kept the same 4231 and changed a player for a player.

I dont have to go into what ifs, I think you know that already. Indeed, maybe Pep shouldnt get credit for shutting off Cristiano, he is always useless in big games. But, his move to free Alves while still nulifying Cristiano by changing to 351 was fantastic and he did that without sacrificing defensive strength in other areas. These are all tactical moves.

Pep is doing well because he has great players? Of course, but you can give that arguement to every great tactican, then where would we be?

Personally, I see Pep making tactical decisions game after game, and tactical changes season after season and in head to head games he constantly has gotten the better of his rivals. Yes, Barca have the best players, but that isnt ever enough, nearly every game that are won and lost have a tactical element behind the result.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Mon 23 Jan - 18:59:04

deezydeez wrote:people that rated below 10 i challenge you to name 10 better tacticians

just curious to see.

im just going to go ahead and bump this since now 6 people have voted him outside of the top 10 yet no one has put any proof or list to justify an answer

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Potential Mon 23 Jan - 19:22:05

deezydeez wrote:
deezydeez wrote:people that rated below 10 i challenge you to name 10 better tacticians

just curious to see.

im just going to go ahead and bump this since now 6 people have voted him outside of the top 10 yet no one has put any proof or list to justify an answer

in no particular order

Pep
Trap
Fergie
Mazzari
Guidolin
Benitez
Hiddink
Benitez
Capello
Ancelotti
Wenger
Potential
Potential
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Mon 23 Jan - 19:26:15

unquestionably top 5

Id probably put him top 3 personally

Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Mon 23 Jan - 19:31:25

freeing up alves????

i never see the guy ffs.... if thats why he is rated as supposedly the "best" RB in the world give me Elisue any day of the week

and to those gunner fans....

Pelle has been working with 0 cash mate... even at Malaga all those players have a couple of years left before they switch to golf

and Mou doesnt need much money... he would just steal all experienced players from top teams for virtually nothing.... and if he wasnt satisfied with them he would play a Portuguese guy who isnt starting for your B-team

Mou got Ozil for £10, come back when Wenger can pull off such a move... even 'arry get better players than you ffs

if Wenger came to Real Madrid he would just tell Perez that there is a recession and that he needs to save money so he will go shopping in some random League 4 side in France and say that top 6 is priority and if higher then thats just a bonus

halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon 23 Jan - 19:31:56

I dont like Mou, but I dont think Wenger is a better tactican to be honest.

Nor Fergie.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next