1978 WC Champion (as coach), César Luis Menotti says Pelé was better than Maradona

+3
Le Samourai
The Franchise
rsinatra
7 posters

Go down

1978 WC Champion (as coach), César Luis Menotti says Pelé was better than Maradona Empty 1978 WC Champion (as coach), César Luis Menotti says Pelé was better than Maradona

Post by rsinatra Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:04 pm

It's the first time I hear an Argentine saying Pelé was better than Maradona. And this comes from a guy who actually watched both of them play. Very Happy

- The biggest [player] I've seen in my life was Pelé, a mixture of Di Stéfano, Maradona, Cruyff, and Messi, all in one player.

Then he went on to give Neymar a very good advice (imo).

- If he wants to be Cristiano Ronaldo, go to Real Madrid. If he wants to be Messi, then he should sign with Barça.

Basically, he's saying that if Neymar wants to become an individualistic superstar, Madrid is place to go. Otherwise, Barcelona is the better choice. I say he should stay at Santos, and in 2014 he can go to Barcelona.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/futebol-internacional/noticia/2012/01/tecnico-argentino-campeao-em-78-poe-pele-frente-de-maradona.html

P.S. I'm not sure which section this should be in. And I know this discussion is endless and pointless, but I just thought the Argentines on the forum should see this lol.
rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sunderland

Back to top Go down

1978 WC Champion (as coach), César Luis Menotti says Pelé was better than Maradona Empty Re: 1978 WC Champion (as coach), César Luis Menotti says Pelé was better than Maradona

Post by The Franchise Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Intresting. But I have stopped listening seriously to most old guys opinion.

Maybe Menotti has an issue with Maradona, some kind of grduge. Maybe not, but I wouldnt know.

Ossie Ardiles, who played with Maradona says Messi is better. But again, I have to take it with a pinch of salt.

In Basketball, Pippen says Lebron is better than Jordan...this is more extreme bullcrap but it just goes to show what im trying to say.

Neymar...I dont know. I wouldnt want him to come to us because I dont think the fans will give him a chance. With the recent sucess, any level of struggle is deemed far too bad.

As a player, I would personally love him because I am sold on his talent.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

1978 WC Champion (as coach), César Luis Menotti says Pelé was better than Maradona Empty Re: 1978 WC Champion (as coach), César Luis Menotti says Pelé was better than Maradona

Post by Le Samourai Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:37 pm

On the Pippen thing.....lebron is more talented thsn Jordan.....there's no doubt in my mind......physically he's the greates talent in the history of the leauge and that's including Wilt and Shaq.........he should dominate.....that's the essence of what he was trying to say.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:56 pm

No. He didnt talk about physically..he said he is better as a player.

Also, I dont agree, he isnt more talented than Jordan and he isnt physically more impressive that Shaq or Wilt either.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:06 pm

I tend to look at Wilt as an era thing....I don't think Wilt was that physically talented.

Shaq......it's arguable......but he didn't maintain his prime physique....Orlando Shaq and you ahve a conversation.

Lebron is just too quick for his size man......watch his defence on Rose last year....it was unbelievable......

All those point guard skills in Lebron's game don't mean much to me....In reality he should just drive the lane every single time and he's almost guaranteed a bucket or some free throws.

Anyway notgoing to derail the thread.

Pele was better than Maradona.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:06 pm

from the matches ive seen,Pele as a player,was better than Maradona.they were both as good at dribbling,and pele was better or as good at every other aspect
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:04 pm

We will take the NBA stuff into the thread lol
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rsinatra Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Ganso wrote:from the matches ive seen,Pele as a player,was better than Maradona.they were both as good at dribbling,and pele was better or as good at every other aspect

It's hard to say. The only full matches I've seen with Pelé were the 1970 WC matches. He was pretty awesome then, but I was far more impressed by other players such as Rivelino tbh. hehe. Of course, he was already 29 and that was considered old back in those days. Or so I've heard.

I've been planning to watch Maradona at the 1986 WC but it's hard to find the time to do it!!

The Franchise wrote:Intresting. But I have stopped listening seriously to most old guys opinion.

Maybe Menotti has an issue with Maradona, some kind of grduge. Maybe not, but I wouldnt know.

Ossie Ardiles, who played with Maradona says Messi is better. But again, I have to take it with a pinch of salt.

Neymar...I dont know. I wouldnt want him to come to us because I dont think the fans will give him a chance. With the recent sucess, any level of struggle is deemed far too bad.

As a player, I would personally love him because I am sold on his talent.

Well, I guess every person is a little biased their own way... I think I've read that Careca (Brazilian) has said that Maradona is the greatest ever (greater than Pelé). But then again, he was part of the Ma-Gi-Ca with Maradona at Napoli, they seemed to be good friends (Maradona said he's one of the best players he ever played with), so one has to be a little careful and the best thing to do is watch the matches yourself hehe Smile.

rsinatra
rsinatra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sunderland

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:34 pm

i didnt watch the 70 WC but i watched a lot of santos matches.the guy was literally a god in a football field,a cr/messi hybrid

i forgot the website i got the matches from though :facepalm:
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Maybe recently maradona raped menotti's wife. maradona played more improved football so this is the reason i think he was better
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:30 pm

then Henry>maradona and pele by that logic.....
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:46 pm

Maradona is the best player I have seen. But from what I've watched pele was better.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:53 pm

Ganso wrote:from the matches ive seen,Pele as a player,was better than Maradona.they were both as good at dribbling,and pele was better or as good at every other aspect

Only if you have a total disregard for talent. This is the one thing i'd say, maradona did everything with a precision/accuracy that no other player including pele has reached. Anything that involves striking or controlling the ball with accuracy maradona is better than pele. That is diego's gift that makes him the best in my eyes, you can breakdown everything into categories and choose which player is better at what (speed, strength, heading bla bla bla). At the end of the day maradonas talent is the most unique and unrepeatable imo

as for menotti his relationship with maradona is undermined by the 78 world cup. Maradona still finds it hard to take not being being taken to it and watching them win without him because the coach didnt want to take a youngster
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum