BarrileteCosmico
Ali
Batigoal
the xcx
Sushi Master
Adit
11 posters

Go down

Efficiency Diagram:Serie A declination and Rise of Bundes Liga  Empty Efficiency Diagram:Serie A declination and Rise of Bundes Liga

Post by Adit Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:09 am

As I've said a time or two, one way to tell how good a team is is to look at how much of something it does on the pitch. More goals = better. Seems logical, it's not very hard to figure out, and you don't need to know very much about numbers to understand it. Hence, it shouldn't be surprising that counting things up has been the primary way of evaluating quality in football.

But another and perhaps more intriguing way to gauge performance is by looking at how well someone (or several someones) perform a particular task. That's where we get into the business of measuring and evaluating things like individual or team efficiency. Efficiency is a measure of quality, not just quantity.

Assuming most people wouldn't disagree with the idea that players who score more goals on fewer tries are better, I was curious if there are any discernible trends in efficiency across the big leagues of European football. Are leagues getting better (here defined as "more efficient")? Do we see improvements in football efficiency, as we do in many other areas of economic activity, from logistics to how we use energy?

So just for kicks, here's a quick look at goalscoring efficiency across the big leagues measured by the goals to overall shots ratio (measured at the team/match level) in the Bundesliga, the Premiership, La Liga, and Serie A. Below you will find graphic representations of efficiency ratios (goals to shots) averaged across all teams and matches for each season since 2005-06 (the period for which I was able to get data for all four leagues). Guess what?!
Efficiency Diagram:Serie A declination and Rise of Bundes Liga  Goals+to+shots+ratios+big+4+2005+to+2010

The Bundesliga has seen consistent improvement over these six seasons, while shooters in Serie A have gone on a steady decline when it comes to efficiency. By the 2010/11 season, Serie A was clearly the least efficient of the four big leagues. In contrast, the Premier League and La Liga do not show clear trends and instead appear to fluctuate a fairly constant mean. One exception: the 2008/09 Premier League season, in which teams were almost as bad as Serie A has been for a few years now.

So what does this all mean? As a native German who is only too aware of cultural stereotypes (thanks to helpful family members), I did cringe a little bit when I saw the Bundesliga getting more efficient and the Italian league become more profligate. All stereotypes aside, we do have to give the "Most Improved Efficiency Award" to the Bundesliga and the "Most Consistently Efficient Award" to the Premier League.

But more than anything, I was surprised to see Serie A go on such a noticeable decline over such a relatively short period. Of course, it could be that the window of time covered by the data isn't long enough and that the picture would look different with, say, 20 years of data. We don't, so that's speculation at this point. But when you couple these numbers with the leagues' financial health or attendance numbers, you do start to worry about Serie A and you feel good about the trajectory the Bundesliga is on.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Efficiency Diagram:Serie A declination and Rise of Bundes Liga  Empty Re: Efficiency Diagram:Serie A declination and Rise of Bundes Liga

Post by Sushi Master Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:14 am

But, but... it's because of Italian defenses that block all your shots!

Oh, and most of the times we can't bother unless they are important games.

banana

Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Efficiency Diagram:Serie A declination and Rise of Bundes Liga  Empty Re: Efficiency Diagram:Serie A declination and Rise of Bundes Liga

Post by the xcx Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:34 am

Thats why Im keeping my time away from Serie A..But I do watch AC Milan games tho. /sometimes
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Batigoal Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:00 am

the last time a team from the Bundesliga won the Cl was in 2001 in the meantime the Seria A won the cup 3 times 2003/2007/2010.
the last time a team from the Bundesliga won the Europe League was in 1997 in the meantime the Seria A won the cup 2 times 1998/1999.
enough said !!!
Batigoal
Batigoal
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Juventus

https://facebook.com/tarik.az

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:13 am

Batigoal wrote:the last time a team from the Bundesliga won the Cl was in 2001 in the meantime the Seria A won the cup 3 times 2003/2007/2010.
the last time a team from the Bundesliga won the Europe League was in 1997 in the meantime the Seria A won the cup 2 times 1998/1999.
enough said !!!

I thought you were posting that as a taunt because that's the only argument anyone ever posts then I saw you were being serious.

your choice though, I learned not to enter these threads
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:17 am

If that's just a general reflection on the quality of each league's finishing then I agree that Serie A used to have much better strikers than now...
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:20 am

ali8775 wrote:
Batigoal wrote:the last time a team from the Bundesliga won the Cl was in 2001 in the meantime the Seria A won the cup 3 times 2003/2007/2010.
enough said !!!

I thought you were posting that as a taunt because that's the only argument anyone ever posts then I saw you were being serious.

your choice though, I learned not to enter these threads

Efficiency Diagram:Serie A declination and Rise of Bundes Liga  1239
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:35 am

Or how about they begin to care about EL.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:53 am

Lord Hispano wrote:Or how about they begin to care about EL.
what do you mean scratch
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milanfan7 Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:23 am

Zomg zomg zomg! Bundesliga more shot to goal ratio it better than serie a! Serie a garbage! Serie a to hell,god bless d bundesliga!

But ofcourzes za bpl better than everybody Andy gray said!
milanfan7
milanfan7
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyzar Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:37 am

enough said !!!

THIS.

Enough said, indeed.
Keyzar
Keyzar
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:41 am

Milanfan7 wrote:Zomg zomg zomg! Bundesliga more shot to goal ratio it better than serie a! Serie a garbage! Serie a to hell,god bless d bundesliga!

But ofcourzes za bpl better than everybody Andy gray said!

your still living in la la land if you still try to argue Serie A > EPL.
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:22 am

That's an amazing stat.

Italian teams no longer play the same football as before.It was majorly based on solid defending and poaching or strikers individual effort.No more Pippo, Shevchenko, Montella, Batistuta, Vieri, Crespo, Trezegeut...Ironically Inter is the one playing true Italian football in Italy at the moment.Chievo too in recent years,don't know about this season haven't watched them.

Serie A should just go back to it's true self cause defensive football will eventually always defeat attacking football.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down