El Gunner
Unique
McLewis
39 posters

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Racism Thread - Page 29 Empty Re: The Racism Thread

Post by Warrior Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:06 pm

I once wore a samurai costume for Halloween, now it's time to apologize for my racism tbh Thumbs up

Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:15 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:What does GL think of all of these streaming sites taking down offensive episodes/movies?

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2549064/tv-shows-that-removed-episodes-from-streaming-over-controversial-blackface-scenes

It mostly seems to be about blackface but not always. Another "victim" of "deleting history"?

This has to be done in a measured manner.
A lot of the examples are utterly dumb.

Let's go through that list real quick:
1. Community - Chang was playing a fucking Drow, not a black person. Not blackface. Talk to me if Drizzt Do'Urden sues.

2. Mighty Boosh - I can kind of see it, might as well have gotten a black actor for the part, or just not made the part black. Clearly not meant to mock PoC though, a disclaimer would probably be enough.

3. 30 Rock - several instances, one is a black man and a white woman trying to switch places, hardly a re-do of a racist minstrel show, the Jon Hamm one is a bit tacky, I kind of get it. For the Tracy Morgan v Jane Krakowski one a disclaimer would probably be enough.

4. Little Britain - Yeah that's kinda racist. I laughed at it, admittedly, but it genuinely is used to mock it's subject. I can see how that is not okay. Agreed.

5. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The entire point of the episodes using blackface was that using blackface was not okay, in fact the character Dennis introduces his own blackface as a "unfortunate use of blackface". The point of Philly is that the protagonists are horrible people and not to be emulated.  Chill. If anything Philly will teach the person watching it that blackface is wrong. Nobody looks at Kaitlyn Olson as Dee as Martina Martinez and thinks that this is portraying a great idea.  Ridiculous, shouldn't even have a disclaimer, just show as-is.

6. The Office - Meh, didn't watch.

7. The League of Gentlemen - Meh, didn't watch that either.

8. W/Bob and David - Ridiculous, the entire point of the sketch is that blackface is wrong (and will get you tased).

9. Scrubs - Ridiculous, content is either completely innocent, or it is the point of the scene that blackface is wrong (like with JD in Blackface and Turk in Whiteface, which lands JD in trouble)

10. Golden Girls - Should've just cut the scene, it really is kinda racist. Even though the joke easily could've not been.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:36 pm

They took down the ep of community?

Wtf, Chang was playing a drow in a dungeons and dragons game. It was hilarious too.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:35 am

Remove all of them.

I know older people on here have come to accept such racism in media, but the kids today arent having it.

They are pulling us all towards progress.....Lets ride the wave.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:37 am

How is that progress? Deleting episodes of Community will end racism? rofl

Modern day progressives are probably literally failed art students who have nothing better to do because life didnt work out for them.

And as warrior said, this is mostly fear of being canceled and they care about themselves, not "social issues". Because they know batshit generation of illiberals is looming around
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:06 am

Young Kaz wrote:Remove all of them.

I know older people on here have come to accept such racism in media, but the kids today arent having it.

It is, in many cases, not racism though. In fact in many cases it's condemning racism. That's like forbidding people to speak out against racism, because mentioning racism is racism. Which is dumb.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:16 am

Talk about going overboard.

Just watch, Tropic Thunder will be next which will be hilariously stupid.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:33 am

Taking down statue of dead slave owners, removing problematic cultural products. i want to ask liberals, what are you trying to achieve by these token gestures? at the end of the day these things are not going to eliminate racism from society and in worst case scenario they might actually exacerbate the problem by causing more outrages from conservatives. systemic reform, although harder to achieve, is more important than these performative activism we're seeing right now.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:44 am

Just to be clear, while I think the censorship on TV shows and movies should be case-by-case doesn't mean I'm convinced either way.

I totally think you should take down all statues of confederate generals, famous lave owners and traders, etc.;
in Germany, we took down all statues of Hitler and renamed all the squares and streets that were named after him or his allies, and we tbh it's not like it did any harm that "conservatives" didn't like it.
It also didn't erase anything about history, people know full well what the Nazis did even after all their dumb statues went down.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:58 am

what Viva said above, i don't know why you guys always get caught up in "liberal" vs "conservative" ideas, as if everything is that black and white.

there's what's right, and then there's steps of activism that tries to do what's right. It may seem like small acts of needless gestures to you guys who live far away claiming not to be affected by it, but if the movement wants to get something done, then it gets it done. As long as the main goal isn't lost in sight, which is socio-economic reparations
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 am

Harmonica wrote:Police in US has this thing called "qualified immunity", that protects them. If I've understood it correctly it protects them doing one major mistake, or in other words a crime, and it will not affect their lives. They'll just lose their "qualified immunity" and only after the second time it affects their lives or they descent on the same level as a normal citizen. Somebody from US can correct me if I'm wrong. But that is just about the most stupid thing ever, and makes people inequal on the face on the law. If normal citizen makes an unlawful mistake, it's a crime.
Apparently Colorado has abandoned the police qualified immunity. As I pointed, it's the biggest issue in police brutality, and definitely the best first step to take.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:16 pm

Pedram wrote:Taking down statue of dead slave owners, removing problematic cultural products. i want to ask liberals, what are you trying to achieve by these token gestures? at the end of the day these things are not going to eliminate racism from society and in worst case scenario they might actually exacerbate the problem by causing more outrages from conservatives. systemic reform, although harder to achieve, is more important than these performative activism we're seeing right now.

100% accurate.

To understand why many do its best to take a more real and transparent insight to the general mindset and lives of such activists. Since you are enlightened on this, you will know.

Its paper activism and gives an identity to many of the protesters who use their voice to violence to just AIDA noise to think they accomplishing something but all it is, is destruction of nonsensical fictitious properties.

Real activism changes societies and system. This is another Wall Street campout, to which was a disgrace.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 pm

El 5th it's disappointing when opportunists and hystericals are presented as the leading figures of a social movement, rather than activists who genuinely try to do what's right

What you consider "small acts of needless gestures", as if they are minor mistakes from a noble quest, i think it ruins the credibility of BLM in the eyes of many people who shut up for now but will vote for Trump later. As someone who lives 70km from united states i don't want that to happen.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:47 pm

Myesyats wrote:How is that progress? Deleting episodes of Community will end racism? rofl

Modern day progressives are probably literally failed art students who have nothing better to do because life didnt work out for them.

And as warrior said, this is mostly fear of being canceled and they care about themselves, not "social issues". Because they know batshit generation of illiberals is looming around

Every action of the movement isnt about ending racism. Its about getting rid of problematic media.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:49 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:

It is, in many cases, not racism though. In fact in many cases it's condemning racism. That's like forbidding people to speak out against racism, because mentioning racism is racism. Which is dumb.

Your country forbids Nazis from mentioning their point of view....is that dumb?

The kids dont want to hear or see racism takes from media that represents the mouthpiece of systemic racism. The world now agrees with them, which is why these episodes are being removed.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:55 pm

Pedram wrote:Taking down statue of dead slave owners, removing problematic cultural products. i want to ask liberals, what are you trying to achieve by these token gestures? at the end of the day these things are not going to eliminate racism from society and in worst case scenario they might actually exacerbate the problem by causing more outrages from conservatives. systemic reform, although harder to achieve, is more important than these performative activism we're seeing right now.

MLK Jr is supported widespread today and he did nothing BUT performative activism. He never pushed a law through congress. He never voted for one.

Power in this country is built around the cult of white supremacy, and knocking down these idols of failure, is one way to begin discrediting this cult.

Look at Mississippi now removing the confederate flag from their state flag. We always knew it was wrong, but now that the cult around white supremacy is being toppled even the most backwards state in the nation is being forced to give it up. Will it end racism in Mississippi? Of course not, but thats one less generation of minority kids who will have to grow up in a classroom everyday seeing the flag of a group who wanted to keep them in bondage. It changes perspective.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:16 pm

I thought confederates were mostly perceived as a bunch of losers

What's shocking is not to remove the flag and statues now, it's to ever begin worshipping them Laughing
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:06 pm

Warrior wrote:I thought confederates were mostly perceived as a bunch of losers

What's shocking is not to remove the flag and statues now, it's to ever begin worshipping them Laughing

Dude there are(or were since I think some were removed a few years ago) confederate monuments in your country.

If they were pariahs down here do you think they would exist in your nation?

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:19 pm

Why 50% of the time we talk you must bring something related to Canada Rolling Eyes it's a bs country built on racism and fake smiles, perhaps you think i'm not aware ?

I say i am canadian here to simplify things and brag about our beautiful nature, in reality i have zero patriotism for Canada except in winter olympics. My real nation is quebecer, or french-canadian, not that it matters much more or that we are any better

As answer to your question, i would say yes
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:38 pm

Young Kaz wrote:
VivaStPauli wrote:

The kids dont want to hear or see racism takes from media that represents the mouthpiece of systemic racism. The world now agrees with them, which is why these episodes are being removed.

Are Nazi related movies removed from TV? I've never heard of one.

The episodes are not removed because the creators and executives agree with this dumb movement, they're only scared of the outrage and loss of profit.

I'd say people generally don't agree, they're just scared of the backlash from crazy people like this one:
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:44 pm

Sadly with social media these types have a platform now.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:44 pm

Warrior wrote:Why 50% of the time we talk you must bring something related to Canada Rolling Eyes it's a bs country built on racism and fake smiles, perhaps you think i'm not aware ?

I say i am canadian here to simplify things and brag about our beautiful nature, in reality i have zero patriotism for Canada except in winter olympics. My real nation is quebecer, or french-canadian, not that it matters much more or that we are any better

As answer to your question, i would say yes

the losers(and generally viewed as losers) of nations dont have monuments for themselves in other nations as a general rule.

I mentioned that for Canada because if they were widely hated down here Canadians wouldnt have monuments for them there.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:46 pm

Myesyats wrote:
Young Kaz wrote:
VivaStPauli wrote:

Are Nazi related movies removed from TV? I've never heard of one.

The episodes are not removed because the creators and executives agree with this dumb movement, they're only scared of the outrage and loss of profit.

I'd say people generally don't agree, they're just scared of the backlash from crazy people like this one:

You are not an exec so you dont know if they agree with the masses or not. These types have always existed so if it was merely out of fear of backlash then it would have been done years ago. The public is changing, and that perhaps includes the execs.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:49 pm

Yeah exactly, these people may have always existed but never had a platform, now they have Twitter, Tumblr and are part of a community. But clearly this is counterproductive and creates more division.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:50 pm

Myesyats wrote:

What a waste of life and oxygen.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:57 pm

I chuckled at gayborhood tbh

In fact i chuckled for the whole 15 seconds Laughing it's quite absurd and ridiculous
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next