Doc
The Demon of Carthage
Luca
Unique
15 posters

Go down

are city being overrated  Empty are city being overrated

Post by Unique Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:09 pm

are man city being overrated a bit. last season they were nothing great but this season they are playing great stuff but some people are now saying they are the best team in Europe. tbh I think that's going a bit far after half a season.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

are city being overrated  Empty Re: are city being overrated

Post by Luca Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:13 pm

The best team in Europe is the one that will win the CL in May

Hard to say they haven't been among the very best in Europe. Destroyed their CL group and making a mockery of the Premier League with an unprecedented, historic start

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:19 pm

Luca wrote:The best team in Europe is the one that will win the CL in May

Hard to say they haven't been among the very best in Europe. Destroyed their CL group and making a mockery of the Premier League with an unprecedented, historic start
winning the CL does not really mean you are the best team in Europe tbh. but it will go some way to how good they are.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:53 pm

You're right, winning the CL doesn't equate to you being the best in Europe. But you being consistently great at the highest level does.

If we were to call every single team that takes Europe by a storm for three months the best in Europe then we're going to have a "best team in Europe" every full moon, which is deeply flawed and, logically speaking, unsound.

Now, make no mistake, City deserve all the praise they're getting. After all, they have smashed everybody in their paths so far and are still undefeated on all fronts. But unfortunately for them, the gods of football don't hand out trophies in December, and whether we like it or not, trophies are the true measure of success.

They have certainly done enough already to earn the respect of everybody and be taken seriously as a true contender for the CL, the PL and everything in between. But they need to go all the way for them to earn the title of "the best team in Europe".

You'll have your answer by season's end.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:00 pm

I don't know, winning the UCL has way more clout in the "best in Europe" argument than winning 25 games in a row and getting KO in the QF (hypothetical scenario). I don't think City are overrated this season, their football is legitimately good bar one or 3 matches.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:18 pm

City are considerably better than they were last season and all of the other top teams are in clear decline, it's not about them being overrated but that the gap has obviously closed among Europe's top clubs and the rest. I still expect them to achieve absolutely nothing in Europe and us to win the CL though TBH.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:27 pm

I believe their talking about City present form and thus hailing them the best in Europe, at the moment there isn't many teams that seem to put the same results and consistency they have, so it's only natural to make this claim as it gives people some talking points.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Ion Creanga Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:21 am

Yes, they are. They have obvious flaws that no one exploited yet, like defense. It showed vs Napoli and Shakhtar (if it counts), but Napoli had too many flaws in defense on their own, and city's attackers were clearly better, more efficient in front of goal.
Ion Creanga
Ion Creanga
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:20 am

No one beats them in terms of consistency, right now. Unlike, Real Madrid and Barca who have both displayed some consistent results, but at times underwhelming performances in recent years, City are looking quite dominant every time I watch them play. Seeing how well they're performing is honestly quite intimidating, and I hope we don't draw against them unless we somehow end up in the final of the CL. Then again, it remains to be seen how long they can manage to keep performing at such a high level. Traditionally, such streaks of form only last for about half a season before fatigue strikes in.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:54 am

Thimmy wrote:No one beats them in terms of consistency, right now. Unlike, Real Madrid and Barca who have both displayed some consistent results, but at times underwhelming performances in recent years, City are looking quite dominant every time I watch them play. Seeing how well they're performing is honestly quite intimidating, and I hope we don't draw against them unless we somehow end up in the final of the CL. Then again, it remains to be seen how long they can manage to keep performing at such a high level. Traditionally, such streaks of form only last for about half a season before fatigue strikes in.

They've actually been playing pretty poorly IMO (one game aside) for the last month, but still winning games. If they faced one of the top European teams in the CL during this period I think they would be beaten handily.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:59 am

Thimmy wrote:No one beats them in terms of consistency, right now. Unlike, Real Madrid and Barca who have both displayed some consistent results, but at times underwhelming performances in recent years, City are looking quite dominant every time I watch them play. Seeing how well they're performing is honestly quite intimidating, and I hope we don't draw against them unless we somehow end up in the final of the CL. Then again, it remains to be seen how long they can manage to keep performing at such a high level. Traditionally, such streaks of form only last for about half a season before fatigue strikes in.

Exactly that. They definitively need to be taken very seriously (I would take them more seriously than PSG), but the rest of us can be cautiously hopeful they won't be quite as convincing forever.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:59 am

Yeah, they are, obviouly. We'll see what they can do against real teams from relevant leauges like Juve, Barca, Madrid, Bayern. Anyone can look good when facing the English fodder.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:10 am

They aren't the best in Europe. I watch them and I don't get the "holy shit, we better not face them in the CL" feeling. They are just about energetic enough to beat Premier League teams.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:46 am

Firenze wrote:

They've actually been playing pretty poorly IMO (one game aside) for the last month, but still winning games. If they faced one of the top European teams in the CL during this period I think they would be beaten handily.

Poorly? You're a Man United fan. Where are you getting these high standards from? Laughing
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:33 am

The Demon of Carthage wrote:You're right, winning the CL doesn't equate to you being the best in Europe. But you being consistently great at the highest level does.

If we were to call every single team that takes Europe by a storm for three months the best in Europe then we're going to have a "best team in Europe" every full moon, which is deeply flawed and, logically speaking, unsound. Suspect

Now, make no mistake, City deserve all the praise they're getting. After all, they have smashed everybody in their paths so far and are still undefeated on all fronts. But unfortunately for them, the gods of football don't hand out trophies in December, and whether we like it or not, trophies are the true measure of success.

They have certainly done enough already to earn the respect of everybody and be taken seriously as a true contender for the CL, the PL and everything in between. But they need to go all the way for them to earn the title of "the best team in Europe".

You'll have your answer by season's end.
Well written. Thumbs up
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by serghei_ro Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:06 am

People say about 3-4 teams during the season that they're the best in the world. It means nothing really, it's just an expression to show that you like how that team is playing at that moment. City have to pick up big trophies to claim that unofficial title.

I think they're clearly the best in England, but there are 3-4 teams in Europe who can beat them at any time. They're not the best in the world like Barca, Bayern and Madrid were in 2015, 16, and 17.
serghei_ro
serghei_ro
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:10 am

'some people are now saying they are the best team in Europe '

Well if you put it this way, they clearly are.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:01 am

I don't think they've been properly tested.

We'll know for sure in the next few months.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:08 am

McLewis wrote:I don't think they've been properly tested.

We'll know for sure in the next few months.

I don't believe Real Madrid have been properly tested either, and they lost against Tottenham over two legs in the CL. The same Tottenham that Man City beat 4-1, not too long ago. The CL is supposedly the competition that RM are performing well in this season. From what I can tell, City seem to be consistently in control of their matches. As long as they have that ability to control the flow of their matches, dominant performances are nothing but a luxury.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down