Gary Neville the new Valencia head coach...

+39
Curtinho
dronte
titosantill
Vibe
free_cat
Kick
fatman123
ExtremistEnigma
windkick
Doc
Collblanc
Glory
sree999
CBarca
RED
El Gunner
Unique
Lord Awesome
BarrileteCosmico
RealGunner
Tomwin Lannister
Robespierre
McAgger
Myesyats
iftikhar
farfan
rwo power
Firenze
The Franchise
Jay29
The Demon of Carthage
futbol
Art Morte
MaraVilla
Shed
S
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Hapless_Hans
jibers
43 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Gary Neville the new Valencia head coach... Empty Gary Neville the new Valencia head coach...

Post by jibers Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:14 pm

Gary Neville has been appointed the new head coach of Valencia until the end of the season.

Neville has been working as an England coach and as an award-winning analyst for Sky Sports since retiring as a player in 2011 but now takes up his first managerial role.

The former Manchester United captain - whose brother Phil was named co-caretaker following Nuno's decision last week to step down as boss - has agreed a five-month contract and will continue his role in Roy Hodgson's set-up.
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11837/10086584/gary-neville-named-valencia-head-coach-in-first-management-role

I don't even...

How to destroy a club in 12 months...

Twiddle dee and twiddle dumb :facepalm:
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Gary Neville the new Valencia head coach... Empty Re: Gary Neville the new Valencia head coach...

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:31 pm

Ronald and Erwin Neville :bow: :bow:
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Gary Neville the new Valencia head coach... Empty Re: Gary Neville the new Valencia head coach...

Post by jibers Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:33 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Ronald and Erwin Neville :bow: :bow:

Anything Phil Neville is involved in will go to shit. He is *bleep* clueless. Immediately he became Valencias second in command I knew Nunos days where numbered.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:42 pm

From Phil to Gary :bow:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:48 pm

Is this for real ?

Wow what's wrong with Spanish teams ? I don't understand their fantasy over British coaches.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:14 pm

This is as much a risk for Gary as for Valencia I'd say. He's been touted as potential head management material for quite awhile and his name has been linked with various vacant jobs for just as long, but I think he'd have been wiser to make his gambit into management, as it were, with a lower league English side (which make up the majority of said positions he's been linked to thus far) and make his bones there before thinking about taking on a club higher up the table looking to compete in, and qualify for, Europe. Going to a side the size of Valencia with the kind of expectations they necessarily will have, with zero reputation and zero record to fall back on should his tenure underwhelm, and especially on so short a contract, is a risky move on his part.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:20 pm

Trying to follow in Rafa's footsteps Proud
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by MaraVilla Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:44 pm

ffs watch valencia get a win against Barca now. Going to be Moyes/Real Soc all over again Sad
MaraVilla
MaraVilla
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:48 pm

S wrote:Is this for real ?

Wow what's wrong with Spanish teams ? I don't understand their fantasy over British coaches.

Nothing to do with anything Spanish, Valencia is owned by Peter Lim, a Singaporean investor, who is some sort of buddies with G. Neville, they co-own Salford United in England.

My favorite bit about this appointment is that Phil Neville has already been a coach at Valencia... and then his brother just steps in and becomes the manager while Phil remains a coach xD
Forever in his brother's shadow, both as a player and as a would-be manager.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:49 pm

MaraVilla wrote:ffs watch valencia get a win against Barca now. Going to be Moyes/Real Soc all over again Sad

He won't be in charge of that game yet.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:51 pm

Gary, from his analysises, doesn't look clueless. It could work. hmm

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:52 pm

WAT.

Hardly any british coaches get head coach/manager jobs abroad lol, since Bobby Robson you can probably name maybe 5 Laughing and that's in like a 20 year span.

If anything there isn't enough of it.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:55 pm

I honestly liked him a lot as a pundit. He gave shrewd analysis and he's a world-class communicator. You never know, this might work.

Last edited by The Demon of Carthage on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:57 pm

futbol wrote:Gary, from his analysises, doesn't look clueless. It could work. hmm

He's smart but sees football through very British lens which is why British coaching will always be years behind. I only added the twiddle dee dumb because it was more poetic. Phil Neville on the other hand is more clueless than Scooby Doo.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:10 pm

futbol wrote:Gary, from his analysises, doesn't look clueless. It could work. hmm

Yeah, it's true that he certainly can think for himself when it comes to football and can communicate his thoughts, too. I'm sure he won't be the stupidest manager out there.

But on the other hand, coaching Valencia as your first managerial job is a big ask for anyone. Plus he doesn't speak Spanish. I doubt the players are exactly thrilled about the appointment and if he doesn't earn their respect quickly, they won't be giving him their 100%, at which point it won't really matter how smart his tactical ideas might be.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:17 pm

jibers wrote:

He's smart but sees football through very British lens which is why British coaching will always be years behind. I only added the twiddle dee dumb because it was more poetic. Phil Neville on the other hand is more clueless than Scooby Doo.

I often have to laugh about Gary Neville's punditry, especially his articles tbh.
I think he's 'depth' is being severely overrated, though he's surely a smart and curious guy in core.

But he's got a very narrow experience. All his life at ONE club, and what's more under ONE manager.
That's also why practically every of his articles or insights has as it's premise "things used to be like this" - by which he always means back in he early 90s at Man United.
Man United is where his world started and ended, and it's so obvious in his musings that it's pretty funny.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:20 pm

Tbh he's not that smart, he just looks it compared to the usual idiots because it's clear he actually spends time watching and studying the game.

Most pundits don't even bother so it makes him look good.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:25 pm

My impression is that he's reasonably smart, and most of all honestly curious to learn.

He's trying to make sense of what he's seeing, that's why it's often so cute and amusing that he can't help but always use his time at United as a general foil with which to reconcile his observations
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:26 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:

WAT.

Hardly any british coaches get head coach/manager jobs abroad lol, since Bobby Robson you can probably name maybe 5 Laughing and that's in like a 20 year span.

If anything there isn't enough of it.

Art's post clarifies some things.

But my point initially was why they were going after an under-qualified British coach who'd probably make the team play in the most un-Spanish way you can and who'd inevitably pose communication problems.But as I said Art's post explains things.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:29 pm

I can't see any other outcome but a massive failure here. He's got zero experience, can't speak Spanish, probably doesn't know all that much about Valencia in the first place, and has a very "English" view of football - in as much that he seems to value strength, power and tenacity over anything - which hardly lends itself to La Liga. Managing Valencia at the moment is tougher anyway because most of the key decisions seem to be made by Jorge Mendes and there's suspicion he's even influencing the starting eleven there.

The real question now, though, is who Sky will bring in to replace him. hmm

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:30 pm

Yeah but your initial post makes it sound like this happens all the time when it doesn't....

In that time span i can only think of maybe McClaren, Moyes, Coleman and now Neville.... that's about it Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:41 pm

John Toshack is another.

But yes I am curious about this. On the fact of it, I dont know how this will go well given the issues Jay stated. That being said, the owner is a friend and both co-own Salford, so surely he will give him alot of rope and should he do even mildly well he probably could be kept on.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:42 pm

smart tbh, I imagine this voids his Sky Sports contract, does this for 5 months, steps down at the end of the season then joins GOAT BT

Neville the tactical genius :bow:
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:45 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:The real question now, though, is who Sky will bring in to replace him. hmm

Well, they've got an Arsenal legend and a Liverpool legend. They need to bring in a United legend to balance the power distribution. Howard Webb maybe?
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:48 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:In that time span i can only think of maybe McClaren, Moyes, Coleman and now Neville.... that's about it Laughing
Colin Bell. He even managed to win 2015's Champions League with 1.FFC Frankfurt. :coffee:
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next