jibers
Khaled
25 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

""Quotes"" - Page 7 Empty Re: ""Quotes""

Post by Khaled Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:23 pm

"There is no worthy excuse, we are Barça and our obligation is to win"

In the middle of the U.S. tour, assistant manager Tito Vilanova spoke to Barça TV about what’s going on with the team, and the objectives for the 2011/12 season.

From Miami, Tito Vilanova, the assistant manager, stressed the importance of the pre-season in preparing the team to be in their best shape to start the new season: "We plan the preseason, whichever teams we are playing. We’re aware that Barcelona are always expected to win every game", he said. In addition, Pep Guardiola’s right-hand man recognised that the schedule the team has is "tough, but we’ll do everything possible to win and maintain the level of recent years. There is no worthy excuse, we are Barça and our obligation is to always win" he concluded.

Technical staff have to evolve too

Asked about the playing style of the team, Villanueva said that the way of playing is not always the same and that the evolution of the team, after four years, was also linked to the evolution of the coaching team. “The fact that it’s now the fourth season we are together, in the same game we have played with different styles. We, as coaches, are also developing and we sometimes see things that help us to evolve" he said.

Deulofeu and Thiago, great promise

Tito Vilanova praised both Gerard Deulofeu, who has joined the tour after being proclaimed European Champion at U-19 level, and Thiago Alcantara, the only player who is currently scoring goals in the preseason "Deulofeu and Thiago are very good players and with the luck that they are able to cope with the great pressure playing in a team like Barcelona, but we won’t do them any good giving them more protagonism than they deserve, or by adding more pressure. They have to grow alongside the stars that we have, and gradually win their place in the team". In this sense, Villanueva added that "we can’t pretend that they are superstars, in the best Barça team ever”.

"Jeffren has given us a lot"

The coach also had words for Jeffren, following his signing by Sporting Lisbon: "Jeffren has given us a lot during these years, because he knew really well how we work, but he’s a player who hasn’t had the best of luck, with lots of injuries, and not a lot of continuity, and we believe it’s time he had that" he said.

The next opponents

Before finalizing the interview, there was still time to refer to both Chivas, Barça’s opponents tonight, and Real Madrid, against whom Barça will play in the Super Cup. While he said of the Mexican side that they are a team that haven’t allowed us an easy game in any of the 3 previous games we’ve played, about Madrid, Vilanova said: "I don’t see them being very different. Last season they were very good. They’ve brought in new players; we'll wait and see how they get on, and if they make any last-minute signings. From what I've seen pre-season, Madrid’s style of play is the same as last year. They’re a team that is very good on the counter-attack, they’re a very good team.

Link (Include a Video): http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada11-12/08/03/n110803118643.html

Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:00 am

Guardiola will call on reserves to cover for Milito

After praising Gaby Milito and his competitive desire, Pep Guardiola announced that he will cover the loss of the Argentinean defender with youngsters from the reserves.

“We have more than enough cover in the reserves”, declared Guardiola after it was announced that Gaby Milito would be leaving the Club and with players such as Marc Bartra, Marc Muniesa or Sergi Gómez who already have experience with the first team he certainly should feel confident.

Guardiola was full of praise for Milito –a player who won 10 titles in his time at the Club -: “I know very few players who have his competitive desire. He has always been an important player for the rest of the team and he needs to be playing regularly. It’s a privilege to have had him with us. He got a bad injury and many players at his age would have just let it go, but he didn’t”.

Alves and Alexis off on international duty

Guardiola also reacted to the news that he will be without Dani Alves and Alexis Sanchez –neither of whom has taken part in the pre-season so far- as they have to go off and play with their national teams: “that’s a battle that is lost. The national teams are in charge and I guess it will stay that way. We just have to live with it. We will have to compete and play well with the players we do have•, he concluded, with one eye on the Spanish Super Cup.

Getting into the right frame of mind

Guardiola also insisted on the need to focus his players for the upcoming Super Cup game: “preparation isn’t just physical or tactical- last season we came into the Super Cup without 8 or 9 players and we need to work in our heads to get to these games in the right frame of mind”- Guardiola also reminded reporters that last year his team played just three games before the Super Cup, whilst this year they will have played six.

Jesús Farga

During his press conference in Dallas, Pep Guardiola also spoke of the death of ex-Club director Jesús Farga: “I would like to send a big hug to the family and his children, who I know personally, He was a great businessman for our country and around the world and he always had a strong link with the sporting world”.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada11-12/08/04/n110804118667.html
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:47 am

Thierry Henry (es-Arsenal,ex-Barcelona): "Barça are an extraordinary team and Pep is an incredible guy. His ideas and philosophy changed everything."

"I watch Barça every weekend because they see football the way I do. Everybody here asks me about them"
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:58 pm

Mario Gotze (Borussia Dortmund): "My childhood dream was always to play at Camp Nou. It's fun to also watch teams like Barcelona or Arsenal"

Kagawa & now Gotze!

Ozil & Van der Vart said the same words, one year later they played for Real Madrid!

-----------------------------

Gotze (Dortmund): "Beckenbauer comparing me with Messi? It's an honour but I'm not at all at his level yet. He's one of my idols." [bild]

Last edited by Khaledbarca on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Khaledbarca wrote:Mario Gotze (Borussia Dortmund): "My childhood dream was always to play at Camp Nou. It's fun to also watch teams like Barcelona or Arsenal"

Kagawa & now Gotze!

Ozil & Van der Vart said the same words, one year later they played for Real Madrid!
post this in the general section!
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:56 am

Guys, Gotze is probably the one player outside of Barcelona who is fascinating me the most now in spite of hardly ever having watched him. I just have to watch him regularly now. This week I couldn't because Neo Sports somehow thought the PGA tour would be more interesting to watch and didn't show his match live. However from next week I intend not to miss this player. First it was about being Ozil's understudy. Then came the comparisons with Iniesta. Now the latest is that none other than Beckenbauer has compared him to Messi. Anything Der Kaiser says I take very seriously. Could he be the breakout star of 2011-12? Maybe he could even start for Germany at Euro 2012. I actually asked Goal.com's Clark Whitney if that would be possible. He said no because he would only be Ozil's understudy. However I think why not since he anyway plays on the side of Kagawa for his club. It's a possibility worth exploring and could hand Germany one more deadly weapon.

So let's list down the possible break out stars of the next season - Thiago, Mario Gotze, Eden Hazard, Christian Eriksen, Neymar, Ganso, etc. Any more names you all would like to add?

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:19 am

Thiago: “I’ll play where Guardiola wants me to”

Thiago played in an unfamiliar role sitting just behind the strikers against Club America and after the game he insisted that he didn’t mind where he played, the important thing was to play.

After his call up by Vicente Del Bosque for Spain’s friendly against Italy Thiago Alcántara was used by Pep Guardiola in Dallas on Saturday night as a false centre forward, but he explained: “what I want is to play. I’m ready to play wherever and if I have to play as a winger, in the hole or in midfield, I don’t mind. I’ll play where the boss tells me to, Now I have to keep working hard ”.

With the game against Real Madrid set for less than a week away, Thiago insisted: “I don’t see myself as a starter in that game. I have to keep working for that –we have to win the Super Cup whatever it takes”.

Adriano happy with performance

Adriano Correia also spoke to the media after the game in Dallas and explained: “I felt fine tonight and I know I have to keep on working to get up to full steam”. Adriano, who only rejoined the squad last week after his trip to the Copa America with Brazil, also praised the Cowboys Stadium, where he stressed the “great temperature” inside the ground, whilst the thermometers were touching 40º outside.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada11-12/08/06/n110807118692.html
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:26 am

Looking to the Super Cup, Pep claims: “we may be short on preparation time, but the mind can do anything”

Pep Guardiola is clear that his team will go into the Spanish Super Cup against Real Madrid a little short of preparation, but insisted that: “it’s the state of mind that counts in these cases – the mind can do anything”.

The boss reminded reporters that his team went into last year’s Super Cup in a similar situation to that in which they find themselves this time around, but hopes that his players’ mental strength will be decisive: “of course we are short on preparation going into the Super Cup and it will be the players’ mental strength that will make the difference, It’s similar to last year but in these situations the mind can do anything”.

“We accept the challenge”

Guardiola went on to claim Real Madrid: “will be more prepared, but my squad accept the challenge. We really need more time to get to our peak of fitness. Maybe the legs can’t respond, but the mental attitude of the players will be important and I will convince the players that they can win”. Looking to the week ahead, Guardiola commented: “we will all be back together in Barcelona on Thursday and we’ll see how we plan things out”.

Satisfied with Tour

After finishing off the US Tour with a win, Guardiola reflected:: “this tour has gone really well. It’s a pity about the injuries, but I am very happy with everybody’s performance. The heat meant it was difficult to train and that affects the team’s levels of intensity, as we have seen”. Guardiola brought a number of youngsters onto the tour and he expressed himself happy with them all: ”their behaviour has been impeccable, every day and in every game. We have trained them well in a lot of areas”.

Big thanks to the fans

The boss was asked why he felt the team had proved so popular in the States and replied: “I guess it’s down to our attractive style of play”, before going on to thank the fans who’d come to support the team on the Tour: “we really didn’t expect this level of support, it’s been incredible. We are very grateful and we hope we can come back as soon as possible – thanks to all of you”.

Cowboys Stadium, “incredible”

Pep also praised the Dallas Cowboys Stadium: “what an incredible stadium. Congratulations on having such a magnificent stadium, which even has air conditioning. Really, I have never seen a stadium like it”.

Finally, the boss gave his view on the pore-season so far, stressing that it had been longer and included more big name games than in other years: “we used to have a pre-season, but now we do tours –we just have to adapt to that”.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada11-12/08/06/n110807118693.html
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Thiago: "ITA was never an option. BRA was, because of my family's roots but I live in Spain since I was 3 and learned everything here"[rfef]
15 minutes ago Favorite Undo Retweet Reply

--------------------------

Keirrison:

"I'm happy to be back, things are going great. The welcome by Eusebio and the players was wonderful. It felt really good"

"I belong to Barça and my goal is to stay. Although it's clear the final decision will be made by the club and the coaches."
[sport]
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:01 pm

"Staying in Brazil or joining Madrid this summer? [as]

Neymar (Santos): Right now, I'm not thinking about Madrid or Barcelona."
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:33 am

"Club I would never join whatever they pay?
Arshavin (Arsenal): Real Madrid. That's 100% taboo beause I'm a long-time Barcelona fan."
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:36 am

"Club I would never join whatever they pay?
Arshavin (Arsenal): Real Madrid. That's 100% taboo beause I'm a long-time Barcelona fan."
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:36 am

Borghi (coach CHL): "Inter, City, Man United and Chelsea were also interested but I told Alexis: 'Join Barça, don't think twice'." [via md]
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Eriksen (Ajax): "I don't plan to leave. Only if Barcelona show interest, that could change. But don't think they'll do that."
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:05 am

Guardiola: "It's a final: no excuses"

Despite having the whole squad around for only the past two days, Josep Guardiola doesn’t want any excuses ahead of the Spanish Super Cup which starts this Sunday at the Bernabeu. "This is a final and whoever wins will be the best team" he said.

For the Barça manager, playing the Spanish Super Cup is always good news. "We are fortunate to be playing it. It means we won something last season. We’ve been in it for the last 3 years" he said. After his words of praise for the competition, Guardiola is aware that the circumstances around the timing of the Super Cup, and the team they are playing, are not altogether favorable. "We’ve only been two days all together and Madrid has had a flawless preseason. From what I've seen, they’re just like they were last year".

Who will play is the big question

After only two training sessions with the entire squad, together with the fact that lots of the players haven’t played in the preseason with the team, like Alexis, Mascherano, Messi and Alves, there is a big question mark about who’ll start in Madrid. "Messi and Mascherano have come back looking in good shape. They are the ones who have had the shortest holidays, only three weeks. When you have less time off you need less time to get into shape" he said about the Argentinian players. With regard to the others, Guardiola prefers to wait until Sunday. However, he warned that not all players are ready to play 90 minutes.

To the Bernabeu with ambition

Guardiola wanted to make it clear that there will be no excuses. "We’re playing a final and there can’t be any possible excuses. If I’d wanted them to be fitter then I’d have called them back earlier. The rest was important" he stressed. However, he warned that a 3-1 defeat like last season’s first leg of the Super Cup against Sevilla, would be practically definitive against Real Madrid. "The tie will be practically decided on Sunday. Whenever we’ve come back with a good result from the Bernabeu it’s because we’ve been ambitious" he added.

"It will help us to get into competitive shape"

The fact that they’re playing Madrid early on also has its positive side. According to Guardiola it will "help us to get into a competitive frame of mind for the near future", because the European Super Cup, and the start of the League, come immediately after the double battle against Madrid.

How are Real Madrid going to play? "It's very difficult to figure out how they’re going to play. They sat back in the first half of the first leg of the semifinals, and in the second half they pressurised us high up the pitch. They have a lot in their locker. We have to be cautious. Beating them is really tough" he stressed.

Puyol close to being fit

Looking beyond the Super Cup, Guardiola has discarded signing a central defender and indicated that Carles Puyol’s recovery is on the right track. "I'm not a doctor, but I think that in a short time he’ll be back with us. He’s training without pain" he said.

With regard to Cesc he reminded everybody that "he’s not here yet….according to the information I have, everything is very advanced but not quite finalised. He’s still an Arsenal player. If he comes or not, Barça will still have a good midfield" he concluded.

http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada11-12/08/13/n110813118762.html
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Galliani (ceo Milan):

"When he was 19 years old, we almost signed Xavi. But his mother was opposed to the transfer, a real shame!"

"I spoke with Thiago's agent, Branchini, who is here on vacation, but Barcelona won't let him go." [sky]
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Tw Alves:

"Last training session to prepare the big game!! Come on barrrrrrrçaaaaaa!!!!"

"Never forget: if the criticism is positive, it is accepted!! If it's destructive, it's not because I'm sure it's jealousy!!" [@danialvesd2]

-----------------------

Fb Iniesta: "Hi all, last training before the game tomorrow... I take the chance to show you my new boots http://t.co/ddUGmB6"
------------------------

Tw Cesc: "Last training before el clasico tomorrow. Now relax and sleep early. Good night everybody!" [@cesc4official]
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:56 pm

Andre Villas-Boas speaks about Barcelona’s football

Andre Villas-Boas, at the outset of his coaching career at Chelsea FC, spoke with English daily Telegraph about his footballing philosophy – the way he thinks football should be played. What follows is a collection of his observations of FC Barcelona’s football – their tactics, their players. The full interview can be read here.

Villas-Boas begins with: “There are more spaces in football than people think. Even if you play against a low block team, you immediately get half of the pitch. And after that, in attacking midfield, you can provoke the opponent with the ball, provoke him to move forward or sideways and open up a space. But many players can’t understand the game.

“They can’t think about or read the game. Things have become too easy for football players: high salaries, a good life, with a maximum of five hours work a day and so they can’t concentrate, can’t think about the game. Barcelona’s players are completely the opposite. Their players are permanently thinking about the game, about their movement, about how to provoke their opponent with the position of the ball.”

Talking about the importance of ball circulation in the attacking organisation of a top team, he cites the example of Barcelona’s game:

“Well, it’s essential to every team. Every team want to score. That’s the purpose of the game. Barcelona play horizontally only after a vertical pass. See how the centre backs go out with ball, how they construct the play. They open up (moving wider), so that the right or left-back can join the midfield line.

“Guardiola has talked about it: the centre backs provoke the opponent, invite them forward then, if the opponent applies quick pressure the ball goes to the other central defender, and this one makes a vertical pass. Not to the midfielders, who have their back turned to the ball, but to those moving between lines, Andres Iniesta or Lionel Messi, or even directly to the striker. Then they play the second ball with short lay-offs, either to the wingers who have cut inside or the midfielders, who now have the game in front of them. They have an enormous capacity not to lose the ball, to do things with an unbelievable precision.

“Another thing about Barcelona, there is always a full-back who arrives earlier in the attack, the other stays in position initially but then progressively joins the attack, as the ball circulates on the other side of the pitch, so he can be a surprise element. When you least expect he arrives. He chooses the perfect timing for the overlap.”

Read more: http://www.totalbarca.com/2011/news/andre-villas-boas-speaks-about-barcelonas-football/#ixzz1VEepe6e1
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:45 pm

Reina (Liverpool):

"Common sense will return to the national team. The current atmosphere is not the fault of the Barça or Madrid players."

"The players have been the same the last 4 years but things only changed in the last season and a half... Why?" [as]
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:25 am

Reina, you understand that as well as I do but have probably decided that some things are best left unsaid. Smile

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:25 am

Interesting comments by Villas Boas.

Also Reina yeah who could it be? Laughing
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:55 pm

Robben (Bayern):

"Did I ever have an offer from Barcelona? No, not really. There was something 2-3 years ago but no firm offer."

"Barcelona's the only club of which I would say: if they're interested, that would be a super option. But I am very happy here" [bild.de]
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:54 am

Abidal on his Official facebook Page:

- He wants to retire at Barcelona.
- Abidal also stated that he doesn't want mislead anyone, and that he'll take his time deciding over a new deal.
- There has been no offer from PSG, and the only offer he has is from Barcelona.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/Eric.Abidal.Officiel

--------------------

Note: Abidal's current contract with Barca is until 30 June 2012!
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Ronaldinho

[On receiving the Ballon d’Or in 2006] “This award says I’m the best player in the world, but I’m not even the best player at Barcelona.”

“Leo Messi reminds me more of Maradona, both left-footed and short, Messi is the best player in the world, along with Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo. For us it is not a surprise. Since he began to come and train with us and we knew we would go down this path. Someday I will explain that I was at the birth of one of the footballing greats: Leo Messi."
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:02 am

Small collection of quotes about Messi :coffee:

Cristiano Ronaldo - "Lionel Messi is now the best player of the world."

Deco - “Messi is Romario, Ronaldo, and Ronaldinho together.”

Manolo Preciado (coach Sporting Gijon) - "How to stop Messi? A Kalashnikov."

Gianluca Zambrotta -"I've been lucky enough to play alongside a lot of champions, players like Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldinho and Kaka. But I've never seen anyone do things with the ball like Lionel Messi. He is simply incredible."

David Villa - "When you were still in Valencia someone asked you to choose between Messi and Cristiano, and you answered Leo."

”I haven’t seen anything like him on a football pitch. Look, there were many brilliant players throughout history, but with all respect to the opinions of other people, no one is even close to Leo.”

Neymar - "Barcelona are the best team in the world and they've got the world's best player (Messi) in their side"

Luis Suarez - "I'm not jealous of Messi. He just has a gift the others have not. He's the best."

David Beckham - “He is the best in the world, simple as that. He is a player that when any kid watches him, wants to be him. They wanna watch everything he does; the way he conducts himself and the way he works hard for the team. He is not just a player – technically he is the best in the world – [but] he works hard for the team and that’s what makes him the person and the player that he is. You watch him and it’s like watching an eight or nine year old play. He just goes and enjoys himself. I think he goes into every game thinking that if this is my last game, this is how I’m going to play and every game he plays, he plays like that. He is a special player.”

Is Messi potentially the greatest ever?

Wenger - "Yes." 

You think he's that good?

Wenger - "Yes."

Ossie Ardiles - “I would now say that Lionel Messi will go down in history as the No.1 player of all time, the best that there ever was,"

Graeme Souness - "I think he might be the best player that has ever played the game, given that he's 23... He's best around, and I've played against Maradona many times, some people say that Maradona was better, but I disagree.

Alan Shearer - “Cristiano Ronaldo went for £80m but Messi would smash that. I would go as far as to say he could be the best ever – maybe even now, on the basis of what he’s continually doing. What did he get last year – 49 or 50 goals? And he’s got 52 this year. He makes world-class defenders look like park players, week in, week out. And he’s 23. Scary.

He’s doing it in the Champions League. He’s a little genius, he is. Incredible. He plays every game. I don’t know whether he’s got something in his contract where he has to play every time – but he does. I’m sure sometimes the manager would like to rest him. The way he plays, he’s playing with his mates on a Sunday morning, with no fear. I love that about him.”

Patrick Kluivert - "Please, please! Messi is impressing, words cannot describe.
Leo does everything at high speed, that's the football of today. Leo always has two players upon him, which is a bargain for a coach, because you can take advantage with the other players of your team who can create superiority chances (In dutch: man-meer-situaties). Leo should always play with freedom, because there is no-one like him. He's without doubt the best footballer in the world. Nobody else plays and thinks as fast as him. Let me coach him, even if it's for one day!"

Dick Advocaat (fifa ballon dor 2010):
For the second time in a row the forward of Barcelona and the Argentinean national team Lionel Messi received the FIFA Golden Ball.
"I voted for Messi," said the head coach of the Russian national team Dick Advocaat. "Why? Because he is the best player in the world."
"No buts… it does not matter that he has not won anything. Until Messi plays the way he does I will always vote for him."
"As for Snejder I put him second. But my colleagues decided differently and Snejder did not get to the top three."

Figo (Inter advisor, at fifa ballon dor 2010) - “This is an individual trophy and Messi is the best. He won despite the fact that both Xavi and Iniesta had done very well this year. I am not surprised that they elected Messi. I think that Xavi and Iniesta have deserved to win, but Messi is a player who is above everyone.”

Rivaldo (at fifa ballon dor 2010) - "Congratulations Messi. I think he'll win another 3, he's on teh way, playing a lot. He really deserves it."

Cassilas (Dec 2010) - "They are great players and, in fairness, I hope Messi will understand, I opted for Xavi and Iniesta. Messi is the best in the world, but I prefer them."

Mourinho (fifa ballon dor 2010) - "Messi is out of this world but i would have given the award to Sneijder..."

Arsène Wenger - “Messi’s like a PlayStation. He can take advantage of every mistake we make. He made the impossible possible. He has something exceptional. He has six or seven years in front of him, touchwood that nothing happens to him, and he can reach unbelievable levels. “In the biggest games, exceptional players still make the difference. Messi is the best player in the world, and by a distance. His team work to get him moving and once he's on the run, Messi is unstoppable. He's the only player who can change direction at such a pace." 

Ossie Ardiles - "Messi is out of this planet, I would say he is so far ahead of the rest of the players playing right now and I would say historically as well. There are not words to describe him.

Hristo Stoichkov - "Once they said they can only stop me with a pistol but today you need a machine gun to stop him."

Andres Iniesta - "If the people have voted for Leo Messi it's because he deserves it and because he's a just winner. We were the three nominations, any of us could have won, but Leo has won and we need to congratulate him. We are very happy for him and for having been here."

Luis Figo - "For me, to watch Messi play is a pleasure – it's like having an orgasm – it's an incredible pleasure."

Ruud Gullit - "He is already the best in the world and it is also all about the work he does without the ball. He wants to tackle back and get the ball.

"He is an exceptional talent. I still think Diego Maradona is the best player I have ever seen – but Messi is closing in fast. He's a wonderful sight in full flight and we are lucky to have him around."

Diego Maradona - "I have seen the player who will inherit my place in Argentine football and his name is Lionel Messi. Messi is a genius and he can become an even better player. His potential is limitless and I think he’s got everything it takes to become Argentina’s greatest player."

Pep Guardiola - “Put in the superlatives yourselves, I’m running out. It’s already been a while now that he has been outstanding. He’s more than decisive in every way. That he’s capable of doing everything that he does at his age is something impressive, that doesn’t make any sense.

“The best players are always in the thick of the action. (Michael) Jordan did it with the Bulls, (Kobe) Bryant does it with the Lakers and Leo does it here. We want him to stay with us because he’s the best and we wouldn’t swap him for anyone.”

"You have to see [his level of performance] – it is not something you can describe because you have to see it to believe it."

"The good thing about Messi is that tomorrow [after his four goals against Arsenal] he will get up and look for the affection of his people and his team-mates. I like the love he has for football and his anonymous character,"

Sergio Ramos - "Since the fist time I saw him play I have always said he surprised me, and he has done every day since."

Ronaldinho [On receiving the Ballon d’Or in 2006] - “This award says I’m the best player in the world, but I’m not even the best player at Barcelona.”

“Leo Messi reminds me more of Maradona, both left-footed and short, Messi is the best player in the world, along with Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo. For us it is not a surprise. Since he began to come and train with us and we knew we would go down this path. Someday I will explain that I was at the birth of one of the footballing greats: Leo Messi."

Carles Puyol - "He is a spectacular player, there is nobody else like him. I should know because I have suffered so much in training. I think he is the best forward at the moment and I think he will be so for many more years. He has his feet on the ground."

José Aurelio Gay [Real Zaragoza coach speaking after their recent 4-2 defeat to Barca] - “Tonight, I saw Diego Maradona, but at more revs per minute. There are no words left to describe him – he is interplanetary. We could have beaten Barcelona but we could never have beaten Leo Messi. If we had scored four, he would have scored 12.”

Ander Herrera [Real Zaragoza playmaker that night] - “I’m not sure he’s human.”

Frank Rijkaard - "He’s a unique player because he can do things of almost imperceptible excellence and is a gem to watch."

Xavi - "He (Messi) is one step above us all. He's the best player and there can be no argument."

"It is clear that Messi is on a level above all others. Those who do not see that are blind."

"I am asked this question [is Messi the greatest player on the planet?] every season and every time I say the same thing. He's a fantastic player and moreover he is my friend."

”Messi is even better than Maradona”

Paolo Maldini - “When I see Messi play, in my opinion, he should win the Ballon d’Or every year. He is an unbelievable player.”

Julio Grondona [President of the Argentine FA] - "Without Messi there isn’t a team for Argentina, Messi is brilliant, different, with a strong mentality. Let’s hope he doesn’t change."

Carlos Tévez - "His speed is astonishing. It’s amazing how he can go 1 to 100 in just one second. I’m constantly around great players like Cristiano [Ronaldo] and [Wayne] Rooney, but this guy is just a step up above every other great footballer out there at the moment. Not only is he quick, determined, and extremely intelligent on the ball, but his movement off the ball is just as fantastic – unbelievable to sum it up in a word."

Johann Cruyff - "He deserves ten out of ten for doing what he does. He is a sensation, but still he can improve. He must know when to move the ball on quickly and when to try the impossible mission. When he learns this, he won’t win a single Golden Ball, but an entire collection."

Juan Sebastian Veron - "I see Maradona every time he grabs the ball and accelerates. We must protect him. I’d personally put him in a drawer of my bedside table."

Getafe coach Michel - "Is he better than Maradona? For me yes. I've played against Maradona and I can say that what I have seen Messi, I have not seen done by anyone since I'm in the football world and now I am getting closer to fifty years, " 

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge - "Nobody was so wonderful at 19 years, neither Pele nor Maradona."

Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva [Presdient of Brazil] - "When I see Messi – who is the best player in the world in my opinion – lose the ball, he runs off until he gets it back or commits a foul. Our guys lose the ball and fold their arms."

Fernando Gago [Real Madrid and Argentina] - "For me, the best in the world is Messi because of the way he plays, moves with the ball and changes matches, Messi has incredible ability and I love the way that he plays. I always thank God that he is an Argentine, not just as a player, but as a person too."

Thierry Henry - "I have the possibility to watch Messi in training each morning, and, because of what he demonstrates, he is the best player in the world. It is a pleasure to watch him and because of the way he plays he is an undisputed leader of the Barcelona team.

"Leo is not human. That is the truth"

"Frankly, I've not seen a player with such mastery with the ball for so long, a player capable to eliminate adversaries at such pace and so easily. If I tried to do the same, I'd fall!"

"Each time he does one step he touches the ball. After his fourth goal, I said to myself I have to stand up and applaud him. It was amazing. Like any great player he's a fighter, he can't lose. During training sessions if his team loses 2-1, he gets the ball, dribbles around everyone and scores, and we start again from scratch."

Juan Laporta [Barcelona president] - “Messi, without doubt, is the leader of Barcelona. He is the best player in the world and the best in the history of football. Along with [Johan] Cruyff and [Diego] Maradona he is the best player we have seen at Barca.”

Marcello Lippi - "The best? Messi."

Christian Gross - “I think he is certainly one of the best in the world and people are right to make comparisons with Diego Maradona. It’s amazing when you think he is still only 22 years old. He’s just a fantastic player.”

Mikel Arteta - "It is as if someone commands him from the stands, like a video game. I have never seen a human run with the ball at that speed. I have not seen Maradona so I cannot compare, but Messi is simply unbeatable."

Raul - "The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible!"

Zidane - “I think that everyone will say the same things about him,” the Frenchman told uefa.com. “You just have to watch him and enjoy the show he is putting on game after game for Barcelona.

“He makes the difference most of the time. In particular, he is always going forwards. He never passes the ball backwards or sideways. He has only one idea, to run towards the goal.

“So as a football fan, just enjoy the show.”

On Ballond D'or "it will go for one of the Spanish players ,but it doesn't matter, Messi s the best player in the world."

Jose Maria Del Nido (Sevilla president) - "It is sacrilege to compare Messi Cristiano Ronaldo"

"Cristiano is a good player while Messi is the best player in the world, the largest and sure to be the greatest among the great," said Sevilla president in four.

Lionel Messi - "Diego is Diego and for me he is the greatest player of all time. Even after a million years I am not even going to be close to Maradona. I have no intention of comparing myself with Maradona – I want to make my own history for something I have achieved."

Last edited by jiopsi on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by shinigami99 Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:15 am

jiopsi wrote:Small collection of quotes about Messi :coffee:

Cristiano Ronaldo - "Lionel Messi is now the best player of the world."

Deco - “Messi is Romario, Ronaldo, and Ronaldinho together.”

Manolo Preciado (coach Sporting Gijon) - "How to stop Messi? A Kalashnikov."

Gianluca Zambrotta -"I've been lucky enough to play alongside a lot of champions, players like Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldinho and Kaka. But I've never seen anyone do things with the ball like Lionel Messi. He is simply incredible."

David Villa - "When you were still in Valencia someone asked you to choose between Messi and Cristiano, and you answered Leo."

”I haven’t seen anything like him on a football pitch. Look, there were many brilliant players throughout history, but with all respect to the opinions of other people, no one is even close to Leo.”

Neymar - "Barcelona are the best team in the world and they've got the world's best player (Messi) in their side"

Luis Suarez - "I'm not jealous of Messi. He just has a gift the others have not. He's the best."

David Beckham - “He is the best in the world, simple as that. He is a player that when any kid watches him, wants to be him. They wanna watch everything he does; the way he conducts himself and the way he works hard for the team. He is not just a player – technically he is the best in the world – [but] he works hard for the team and that’s what makes him the person and the player that he is. You watch him and it’s like watching an eight or nine year old play. He just goes and enjoys himself. I think he goes into every game thinking that if this is my last game, this is how I’m going to play and every game he plays, he plays like that. He is a special player.”

Is Messi potentially the greatest ever?

Wenger - "Yes." 

You think he's that good?

Wenger - "Yes."

Ossie Ardiles - “I would now say that Lionel Messi will go down in history as the No.1 player of all time, the best that there ever was,"

Graeme Souness - "I think he might be the best player that has ever played the game, given that he's 23... He's best around, and I've played against Maradona many times, some people say that Maradona was better, but I disagree.

Alan Shearer - “Cristiano Ronaldo went for £80m but Messi would smash that. I would go as far as to say he could be the best ever – maybe even now, on the basis of what he’s continually doing. What did he get last year – 49 or 50 goals? And he’s got 52 this year. He makes world-class defenders look like park players, week in, week out. And he’s 23. Scary.

He’s doing it in the Champions League. He’s a little genius, he is. Incredible. He plays every game. I don’t know whether he’s got something in his contract where he has to play every time – but he does. I’m sure sometimes the manager would like to rest him. The way he plays, he’s playing with his mates on a Sunday morning, with no fear. I love that about him.”

Patrick Kluivert - "Please, please! Messi is impressing, words cannot describe.
Leo does everything at high speed, that's the football of today. Leo always has two players upon him, which is a bargain for a coach, because you can take advantage with the other players of your team who can create superiority chances (In dutch: man-meer-situaties). Leo should always play with freedom, because there is no-one like him. He's without doubt the best footballer in the world. Nobody else plays and thinks as fast as him. Let me coach him, even if it's for one day!"

Dick Advocaat (fifa ballon dor 2010):
For the second time in a row the forward of Barcelona and the Argentinean national team Lionel Messi received the FIFA Golden Ball.
"I voted for Messi," said the head coach of the Russian national team Dick Advocaat. "Why? Because he is the best player in the world."
"No buts… it does not matter that he has not won anything. Until Messi plays the way he does I will always vote for him."
"As for Snejder I put him second. But my colleagues decided differently and Snejder did not get to the top three."

Figo (Inter advisor, at fifa ballon dor 2010) - “This is an individual trophy and Messi is the best. He won despite the fact that both Xavi and Iniesta had done very well this year. I am not surprised that they elected Messi. I think that Xavi and Iniesta have deserved to win, but Messi is a player who is above everyone.”

Rivaldo (at fifa ballon dor 2010) - "Congratulations Messi. I think he'll win another 3, he's on teh way, playing a lot. He really deserves it."

Cassilas (Dec 2010) - "They are great players and, in fairness, I hope Messi will understand, I opted for Xavi and Iniesta. Messi is the best in the world, but I prefer them."

Mourinho (fifa ballon dor 2010) - "Messi is out of this world but i would have given the award to Sneijder..."

Arsène Wenger - “Messi’s like a PlayStation. He can take advantage of every mistake we make. He made the impossible possible. He has something exceptional. He has six or seven years in front of him, touchwood that nothing happens to him, and he can reach unbelievable levels. “In the biggest games, exceptional players still make the difference. Messi is the best player in the world, and by a distance. His team work to get him moving and once he's on the run, Messi is unstoppable. He's the only player who can change direction at such a pace." 

Ossie Ardiles - "Messi is out of this planet, I would say he is so far ahead of the rest of the players playing right now and I would say historically as well. There are not words to describe him.

Hristo Stoichkov - "Once they said they can only stop me with a pistol but today you need a machine gun to stop him."

Andres Iniesta - "If the people have voted for Leo Messi it's because he deserves it and because he's a just winner. We were the three nominations, any of us could have won, but Leo has won and we need to congratulate him. We are very happy for him and for having been here."

Luis Figo - "For me, to watch Messi play is a pleasure – it's like having an orgasm – it's an incredible pleasure."

Ruud Gullit - "He is already the best in the world and it is also all about the work he does without the ball. He wants to tackle back and get the ball.

"He is an exceptional talent. I still think Diego Maradona is the best player I have ever seen – but Messi is closing in fast. He's a wonderful sight in full flight and we are lucky to have him around."

Diego Maradona - "I have seen the player who will inherit my place in Argentine football and his name is Lionel Messi. Messi is a genius and he can become an even better player. His potential is limitless and I think he’s got everything it takes to become Argentina’s greatest player."

Pep Guardiola - “Put in the superlatives yourselves, I’m running out. It’s already been a while now that he has been outstanding. He’s more than decisive in every way. That he’s capable of doing everything that he does at his age is something impressive, that doesn’t make any sense.

“The best players are always in the thick of the action. (Michael) Jordan did it with the Bulls, (Kobe) Bryant does it with the Lakers and Leo does it here. We want him to stay with us because he’s the best and we wouldn’t swap him for anyone.”

"You have to see [his level of performance] – it is not something you can describe because you have to see it to believe it."

"The good thing about Messi is that tomorrow [after his four goals against Arsenal] he will get up and look for the affection of his people and his team-mates. I like the love he has for football and his anonymous character,"

Sergio Ramos - "Since the fist time I saw him play I have always said he surprised me, and he has done every day since."

Ronaldinho [On receiving the Ballon d’Or in 2006] - “This award says I’m the best player in the world, but I’m not even the best player at Barcelona.”

Carles Puyol - "He is a spectacular player, there is nobody else like him. I should know because I have suffered so much in training. I think he is the best forward at the moment and I think he will be so for many more years. He has his feet on the ground."

José Aurelio Gay [Real Zaragoza coach speaking after their recent 4-2 defeat to Barca] - “Tonight, I saw Diego Maradona, but at more revs per minute. There are no words left to describe him – he is interplanetary. We could have beaten Barcelona but we could never have beaten Leo Messi. If we had scored four, he would have scored 12.”

Ander Herrera [Real Zaragoza playmaker that night] - “I’m not sure he’s human.”

Frank Rijkaard - "He’s a unique player because he can do things of almost imperceptible excellence and is a gem to watch."

Xavi - "He (Messi) is one step above us all. He's the best player and there can be no argument."

"It is clear that Messi is on a level above all others. Those who do not see that are blind."

"I am asked this question [is Messi the greatest player on the planet?] every season and every time I say the same thing. He's a fantastic player and moreover he is my friend."

”Messi is even better than Maradona”

Paolo Maldini - “When I see Messi play, in my opinion, he should win the Ballon d’Or every year. He is an unbelievable player.”

Julio Grondona [President of the Argentine FA] - "Without Messi there isn’t a team for Argentina, Messi is brilliant, different, with a strong mentality. Let’s hope he doesn’t change."

Carlos Tévez - "His speed is astonishing. It’s amazing how he can go 1 to 100 in just one second. I’m constantly around great players like Cristiano [Ronaldo] and [Wayne] Rooney, but this guy is just a step up above every other great footballer out there at the moment. Not only is he quick, determined, and extremely intelligent on the ball, but his movement off the ball is just as fantastic – unbelievable to sum it up in a word."

Johann Cruyff - "He deserves ten out of ten for doing what he does. He is a sensation, but still he can improve. He must know when to move the ball on quickly and when to try the impossible mission. When he learns this, he won’t win a single Golden Ball, but an entire collection."

Juan Sebastian Veron - "I see Maradona every time he grabs the ball and accelerates. We must protect him. I’d personally put him in a drawer of my bedside table."

Getafe coach Michel - "Is he better than Maradona? For me yes. I've played against Maradona and I can say that what I have seen Messi, I have not seen done by anyone since I'm in the football world and now I am getting closer to fifty years, " 

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge - "Nobody was so wonderful at 19 years, neither Pele nor Maradona."

Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva [Presdient of Brazil] - "When I see Messi – who is the best player in the world in my opinion – lose the ball, he runs off until he gets it back or commits a foul. Our guys lose the ball and fold their arms."

Fernando Gago [Real Madrid and Argentina] - "For me, the best in the world is Messi because of the way he plays, moves with the ball and changes matches, Messi has incredible ability and I love the way that he plays. I always thank God that he is an Argentine, not just as a player, but as a person too."

Thierry Henry - "I have the possibility to watch Messi in training each morning, and, because of what he demonstrates, he is the best player in the world. It is a pleasure to watch him and because of the way he plays he is an undisputed leader of the Barcelona team.

"Leo is not human. That is the truth"

"Frankly, I've not seen a player with such mastery with the ball for so long, a player capable to eliminate adversaries at such pace and so easily. If I tried to do the same, I'd fall!"

"Each time he does one step he touches the ball. After his fourth goal, I said to myself I have to stand up and applaud him. It was amazing. Like any great player he's a fighter, he can't lose. During training sessions if his team loses 2-1, he gets the ball, dribbles around everyone and scores, and we start again from scratch."

Juan Laporta [Barcelona president] - “Messi, without doubt, is the leader of Barcelona. He is the best player in the world and the best in the history of football. Along with [Johan] Cruyff and [Diego] Maradona he is the best player we have seen at Barca.”

Marcello Lippi - "The best? Messi."

Christian Gross - “I think he is certainly one of the best in the world and people are right to make comparisons with Diego Maradona. It’s amazing when you think he is still only 22 years old. He’s just a fantastic player.”

Mikel Arteta - "It is as if someone commands him from the stands, like a video game. I have never seen a human run with the ball at that speed. I have not seen Maradona so I cannot compare, but Messi is simply unbeatable."

Raul - "The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible!"

Zidane - “I think that everyone will say the same things about him,” the Frenchman told uefa.com. “You just have to watch him and enjoy the show he is putting on game after game for Barcelona.

“He makes the difference most of the time. In particular, he is always going forwards. He never passes the ball backwards or sideways. He has only one idea, to run towards the goal.

“So as a football fan, just enjoy the show.”

On Ballond D'or "it will go for one of the Spanish players ,but it doesn't matter, Messi s the best player in the world."

Jose Maria Del Nido (Sevilla president) - "It is sacrilege to compare Messi Cristiano Ronaldo"

"Cristiano is a good player while Messi is the best player in the world, the largest and sure to be the greatest among the great," said Sevilla president in four.

Lionel Messi - "Diego is Diego and for me he is the greatest player of all time. Even after a million years I am not even going to be close to Maradona. I have no intention of comparing myself with Maradona – I want to make my own history for something I have achieved."

+1 Thumbs up

Great collection of quotes
shinigami99
shinigami99
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down