What are the Best/Worst Languages for football commentatory for you ?

+16
danyjr
Kebab
Doc
urbaNRoots
Mamad
Unique
Myesyats
M99
Jay29
rincon
Warrior
futbol_bill
BarrileteCosmico
Hapless_Hans
The Madrid One
Sina
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What are the Best/Worst Languages for football commentatory for you ? Empty What are the Best/Worst Languages for football commentatory for you ?

Post by Sina Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:31 pm

it happens when you stream a match or watching one from the past decades with whichever footage that is available from various broadcasters from all around the world that you may or may not know the language but if you really want to watch you go through it regardless

so which ones you prefer and which ones can put you off?

for me i only understand Persian and English(not perfect but enough to understand most of what a football commentator would say)
so from those languages it depends on commentator itself

from others i find french commentators quite good with passion/ excitement they bring at any moment

Russian is the worst for me,for someone who doesn't understand it ,it feels someone talking nonstop about irrelevant things rather than describing the match
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

What are the Best/Worst Languages for football commentatory for you ? Empty Re: What are the Best/Worst Languages for football commentatory for you ?

Post by The Madrid One Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:46 pm

My choices are based on

- The way the language or accent sounds
- any positive connection i can make between football and that language's football culture
- If i can understand the language
-The actual competency or entertainment value in what commentators are saying

Having said that, i personally don't like how Asian or middle eastern languages sound, nor Portuguese or Italian.

I also don't like listening to white Americans that sound like they would be better of commentating a Nascar race; this pick is not only affected by how they sound, but also by the fact that  the content of their commentary is sometimes awkward.

Languages i don't mind listening to even if i don't understand them are languages like Russian, German, Dutch, and French.
My favorite commentary would be British and Argentinian/Uruguayan, i like the accents, as to me they add Gravitas, especially because i link their accents aesthetically to football.

Last edited by The Madrid One on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

What are the Best/Worst Languages for football commentatory for you ? Empty Re: What are the Best/Worst Languages for football commentatory for you ?

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:49 pm

I share your problem with Russian, which of course is a bit unfair to complain about, if you, like me, simply don't understand anything about the language and ca'nt get into the groove at all, yet are relying on their excellent, unrivalled in quality and committment, streaming work.

Also, this might be somewhat controversial, but listening to Spanish football commentating at times makes me deeply detest Spanish men. These guys come across as massive, massive wankers, the way they are in love with themselves talking and pronouncing language, rolling the 'r's, the lisp, the staccato tempo, all of it, uuurgh. Hate those Spanish dicks, idiots, neanderthals all of them. Sorry.

However, the by far worst language in which to listen to football commentating, and this is not a debate, no contest, no question, is--- American English. Simply appalling. Unnacceptable.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:03 pm

I'm biased, obviously, but SA Spanish is by far the best. A SA Spanish commentator will try to inject some passion into the game and make you interested even if it's a 0-0 draw. I've fallen asleep to US English commentaries.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:36 pm

I agree BC, although I do like Spanish commentors as well. Obviously I don’t agree with that troll, Hans, but whatever, he probably doesn’t understand!

I find the spanish commentators, both from Spain and SA not only keep you interested no matter what the score, they also inject enough humour, which you don’t hear at all from English commentators. I also find English commentators, both from UK and USA to be too full of themselves!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:23 am

French or UK english is my preference. 80% i watch games in russian because they are the only streams that work without interruption. So i've learned to appreciate russian too, shame that i still don't know what "Shtrafnoï" and "Pa Datcha" means hmm

I once watched a game in arabic, i didn't like it. This language sounds agressive to my ears. For the rest... spanish, italian, german i don't really mind even if i don't understand. I agree USA commentators have big struggles with pronunciation, it's embarassing, and i also get this feeling that they don't understand the subtleties of football, they describe it as a hockey game.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:05 am

SA spanish by far, then Italian, then Spain spanish, then everything else, then more of everything else, then UK English, finally American English.

English speaking commentators just manage to make any game boring and/or have an extreme bias for all things England (UK case). Only with English speaking commentators can I sleep so soundly during a match without even being tired.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:07 am

UK English is what I know best, but it's simultaneously the best and worst for me. You have great play-by-play commentators like Peter Drury and Daniel Mann, but 90% of colour commentators are garbage. Martin Tyler adds a sense of gravitas to big games, but in recent years has developed a tendency to ramble, has tried to force it and can't seem to keep his dated opinions to himself. I lost a lot of respect for him when he commentated on England/Switzerland a few months back and complained that keepers were now passing the ball because the rulebook says "ten outfield players and one keeper".

UK commentators also have a bad habit of bantering amongst themselves, especially when there's an ex-player doing colour (which is, like, 99% of the time). It drives me nuts listening to Darren Fletcher on BT Sport reference Robbie Savage limitations as a player.

It's even more of a mixed bag for foreign games. The frequent butchering of pronunciations, and the fact that half the commentators know very little about the players they're commenting on (I once watched a Roma game where a commentator complained Salah was taking chances with his "weaker left foot"). It's why I prefer Spanish commentary for Sevilla games, even if I don't understand it. There's also something fun about shouting "Gooooooooooooool" whenever there's a goal.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:23 am

Best: South American Spanish, UK English, Arab
Worst: North American English, North American English, North American English
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Worst: Arabic, AmE, French
Best: Spanish, Swedish (just because i love the language), my mother tounge Polish
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:18 pm

they should find out what language is spoken by the most people on earth and then make it so everybody on earth speaks english. Very Happy
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:39 pm

Unique wrote:they should find out what language is spoken by the most people on earth and then make it so everybody on earth speaks english. Very Happy

affraid rofl Typical British arrogance
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:05 pm

futbol_bill wrote:
Unique wrote:they should find out what language is spoken by the most people on earth and then make it so everybody on earth speaks english. Very Happy

affraid rofl Typical British english arrogance

Laughing
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:48 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - serious question. What is the difference between english and british? The commonwealth was british no? I ask this as I think this is second time you have corrected me on this and I simply thought the two terms were synonomous
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:07 am

Best : UK English
Worst : Spanish
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:32 am

The worst commentary for me is in English by far. Mostly because I understand the shit most of these dumb commentators say and their relentless bias.

German commentary is fine, although they often show their colors during a game, it's no where near as bad as the English commentators. But they all sound like they are dead inside so it's not for me.

Albanian commentary on European football is fun because there's next to no bias for or against any of these teams and yet are crazy about football so they look like they enjoy the job and therefore make the game enjoyable for their viewers as well.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:14 pm

futbol_bill wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - serious question. What is the difference between english and british? The commonwealth was british no? I ask this as I think this is second time you have corrected me on this and I simply thought the two terms were synonomous
it’s like calling a French or German guy a European they are in fact from Europe but they are still French and German. Also the Scots welsh and Irish are part of Britain along with England but England are the leaders of Britain
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:19 pm

I thought I could also call an English guy or a Brit, a European as well. Your analogy is similar to saying a Texan should not be called an American.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:50 pm

futbol_bill wrote:I thought I could also call an English guy or a Brit, a European as well. Your analogy is similar to saying a Texan should not be called an American.
no it’s not. England Ireland Scotland and Wales are separate countries. That’s why I hate it when people say someone has a British accent
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:18 pm

Separate countries? The country is UK; Wales, England Scotland and N. Ireland are provinces, states or regions, whatever term you want to use. Years ago, they were separate countries. Just because you get away with that in soccer doesn’t make it a fact.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:31 pm

futbol_bill wrote:Separate countries? The country is UK; Wales, England Scotland and N. Ireland are provinces, states or regions, whatever term you want to use. Years ago, they were separate countries. Just because you get away with that in soccer doesn’t make it a fact.
they all have a separate flag so they are different countries but they are all governed by England.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:37 pm

The UK stands for United Kingdom incase you didn’t know. But England Ireland Scotland and Wales are all countries. Reminds me of times past. Once we had a empire and was ruled by a emporer. Then we had a kingdom that was ruled by a king and now we have a country that’s ruled by a Wink
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:19 pm

The entity that is used in any form of nations, be it political, defense, economy is UK. You can call your regions whatever you want, but the country or nation is UK. Thus you are a Brit first and foremost and secondarily regarding your region an Englishman!

So back on topic, your commentators are BRITISH.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:36 pm

futbol_bill wrote:The entity that is used in any form of nations, be it political, defense, economy is UK. You can call your regions whatever you want, but the country or nation is UK. Thus you are a Brit first and foremost and secondarily regarding your region an Englishman!

So back on topic, your commentators are BRITISH.
no they are not. They are from England Ireland Scotland and Wales and they all speak English. Thumbs up
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Duh, almost all of South and Central America speak Spanish, but they are not Spaniards.

Seems you can’t comprend nationality from language spoken.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next