sportsczy
halamadrid2
Art Morte
Jay29
37 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Who will win?

WC 2018 | Quarter-Finals | England vs Sweden Vote_lcap24%WC 2018 | Quarter-Finals | England vs Sweden Voting_bar 24% 
[ 4 ]
WC 2018 | Quarter-Finals | England vs Sweden Vote_lcap76%WC 2018 | Quarter-Finals | England vs Sweden Voting_bar 76% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 17

WC 2018 | Quarter-Finals | England vs Sweden Empty WC 2018 | Quarter-Finals | England vs Sweden

Post by Jay29 Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:07 pm

England bantered their way through Colombia and did the impossible: win a penalty shoot-out.

Sweden have knocked out the Netherlands, Italy, Germany and Swtizerland on the way to the quarter-finals, all without Zlatan.

Both teams create little in open play and like a bit of shithousing.

Both teams with a chance for an unlikely semi-final appearance.

Sweden have been a bogey team for England in past tournaments, so if you thought the Colombia game was scrappy, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

WC 2018 | Quarter-Finals | England vs Sweden Empty Re: WC 2018 | Quarter-Finals | England vs Sweden

Post by Art Morte Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:16 pm

I believe the expression is a 'cakewalk'.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

WC 2018 | Quarter-Finals | England vs Sweden Empty Re: WC 2018 | Quarter-Finals | England vs Sweden

Post by halamadrid2 Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:23 pm

England overcame their penalty fear. Beating Sweden will be nothing imo. This is their year

Our best chance is to score from set pieces
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:29 pm

Has there ever been an easier road to a WC semi than England's (assuming they beat Sweden)?
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:32 pm

Define "easy". Relative to England's actual quality, this is actually a difficult road to a potential final.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:32 pm

Yet i was told by this whole forum that Colombia were amazing and they'd definitely beat us and we had no chance.

Now the route is easy lmao.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:33 pm

Sweden know what to do, how to do it and that  is no small thing.

Sincerely when we were knocked out from them I thought it had happened against a bunch of scrubs.. But they are improved exponentially. Quarter finals fully legitimate.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:34 pm

Robespierre wrote:Sweden   know what to do, how to do it and that  is no small thing.

Sincerely when we were knocked out from them I thought it had happened against a bunch of scrubs.. But they are improved exponentially. Quarter finals fully legitimate.

Yup i'm under no illusions about this game tbh, they will be incredibly hard to break down. Won't be easy at all, we have as much chance as they do but it's not an easy tie IMO.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:39 pm

we can't break teams down for shit and Sweden seem far more cohesive than the other teams we've played at the back

it's gonna be uglier than Tunisia and Colombia combined

hope Lindelof plays like he did for United and not how he's played for Sweden
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Zagadka Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:08 am

Very even game.

England-Sweden games almost always end in a draw...Sweden have a rock-solid defence and spirit, and having already eliminated likes of Netherlands, Italy, Germany and Switzerland, I doubt they'd have any inferiority complex against England...Have a feeling this game needs an early goal to be a great spectacle.
Zagadka
Zagadka
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:08 am

Most shots at the WC without a goal

1) Berg
2) Forsberg

If I was an English fan, I wouldn't worry too much. Our players can't score. They'd even miss with an empty net
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:17 am

Yet you scored three against Mexico and managed to find something against Switzerland. hmm

It's not like we're prolific, either. One goal could well be enough to settle the game. It might not come from open play, but there's a good chance of a penalty (how many pens have there been so far? Must be a record) or a set-piece goal.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:20 am

halamadrid2 wrote:

Our best chance is to score from set pieces

So is theirs.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:33 am

Most of our goals have come from defenders. The attackers have contributed with very little. I can't hate on Toivonen because he's executed the Ibra role perfectly. Berg though Laughing Forsberg has been a flop too.

Jokes aside, I think England plays the type of Football we struggle with. With Young on it'll be easier for us. Their strongest suit is wing play and that's our weak spot. If they decide to lump it forward to Kane it'll suit us to perfection. Kane will never beat Granqvist in an air duel from a long ball. If Southgate does his homework he wont let that be Englands tactics

We'll be without Lustig too, who's not only an experienced part of the defence. But also the guy we target on set pieces and who takes our long throw ins. Big miss for us imo
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:41 am

We won't lump it to Kane, we try to play through midfield but obviously our midfielders strong suit is mostly dribbling and off the ball so naturally we use width to create chances as it's easier for our players.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:06 am

Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:07 am

No joke I see this one as a simple win for England
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:10 am

CBarca wrote:No joke I see this one as a simple win for England

Why do you say 'no joke', then proceed to joke?

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:12 am

??

It will be at least 2-0 and I'm personally seeing 3-0 in my visionquest
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:18 am

CBarca wrote:??

It will be at least 2-0 and I'm personally seeing 3-0 in my visionquest

Did the vision quest begin with a dip into Maradona's secret stash?

Sweden is a more intelligent Colombia. It won't be easy, not sure why you think it would be at this stage of the competition and based on what we've seen

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:39 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Yet i was told by this whole forum that Colombia were amazing and they'd definitely beat us and we had no chance.

Now the route is easy lmao.

I didn't know the whole forum is represented by S and Breva though I imagine the former would be glad to know he is the forum.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zagadka Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:40 am

now that the brave 3-lions are marching on, English media now urging England fans to travel to Russia and suppor their team....after one-year non-stop fearmongering and issuring travel warning to the fans because some grizzly bear would eat them, they'll be beaten up by skinheads or poisoned apparently Laughing . Fair play to Guardian to at least owning up to their own propaganda.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/03/world-cup-russia-england-fans?CMP=share_btn_tw

Message to the English: come to Russia and feel the love

This. World. Cup. Is. Good. Having been lucky enough to be at Nizhny Novgorod for England 6 Panama 1 (stick that in your hats), St Petersburg for Argentina 2 Nigeria 1 (Messi’s foot of God) and Kaliningrad for Belgium against England (the game was literally pointless), I get to write in the Guardian to say my personal experience is that Russia is absolutely killing this World Cup, which is a vast improvement on spies in Zizzi*. The organisation of this tournament has been fantastic and you’ll struggle to find anyone who’ll say otherwise, which is not because they’re a double-agent or a Twitter bot, but because it’s true.

Stop knocking the World Cup’s female commentators. They know their stuff
Lianne Sanderson
Read more
Newspaper headlines “Bloodthirsty hooligans vow murder”, “Russian Ultras: KID BOOTCAMP” and “Russian hooligans warn England fans ‘prepare to DIE’’’. A BBC documentary called Russia’s Hooligan Army. A Foreign Office warning of “heightened risks of violence”. What do these things have in common? Well, they all sound like things Ross Kemp would mumble in his sleep, but they are also UK media reports that put a lot of English people off having an experience like mine and having the opportunity to experience first-hand which country puts us out on penalties.

It’s so trite to say the people have been amazing (it annoys me when people come back from a country and say “the people were amazing”, it’s like, come on, they can’t all have been amazing, there had to be at least one dickhead in Mozambique) but the response of the Russian populace to England fans has been the polar opposite of what we were told to guard against. Mark Roberts, head of UK football policing, warned against taking England flags to Russia for fear of being too imperialistic and inciting violence. He might have felt a little silly in Victory Square, Kaliningrad, with St George’s crosses draped over every inch of the U Gasheka pub, native onlookers cheering along to the Umbro-clad mire of English lager-lads singing adapted Atomic Kitten songs (“Southgate you’re the one, you still turn me on … football’s coming home again”). If flags are universally signals of peremptory intent, tell that to the Russian teenager who asked all the fans he met to sign his with where they were from. Desecrating the sacred colours of the motherland with “Jeff, Grimsby” doesn’t get you put in a gulag, apparently.

And if this all sounds too magical to be true, that’s how it felt. When numerous Russians asked why we were being told not to come to their country – once phrasing it heartbreakingly as, “Why don’t you like us?” – I initially worried it was some sort of state edict that Putin had issued into their mind-chips to trick us. But it quickly became obvious that it was I, plagued with worries of being attacked if I donned an England shirt, who had been operating in a fantasy of disinformation. My first Airbnb host said how happy he was to meet an Englishman, as his favourite author was Stephen Fry and described how he’d very much enjoyed the BBC adaptation of War and Peace, and that Russians felt a great affinity for the British as they also had a great empire in the past but are now far less powerful and in somewhat of an identity crisis in the present. I tried to return the compliment but am so poorly read I settled for saying it was great when Andrei Arshavin scored four goals for Arsenal at Anfield.

Yes, there are clearly problems in Russia with racism, homophobia and hooliganism that as a straight, white man weren’t likely to impact my trip. For a country avowedly impressed with the British culture of 30 years ago, one wonders where the Russians got such ideas. But those issues seemed as irrelevant to this World Cup as Britain’s plundering of Iraq’s oil or the troubling treatment of migrants were from the 2012 Olympics. The experience of being a football fan in Russia, not just for me but for the Senegalese, Nigerians, Panamanians and BAME people I was tolerating Fifa’s godless fan-parks with, was so surprising and thrilling as to be soul-enriching.

The World Cup is the antidote to the sewage lapping at our ankles
Alex Clark
Read more
Huge congratulations must go to the law enforcement that’s been put in place to stop both the most fighty Russians and the most fighty English from making their presence felt. But those responsible for the headlines with TOO MANY CAPITAL LETTERS should be ashamed. Not just for denying England fans these experiences, but for allowing the Russian people to feel demonised, and indeed for allowing Putin to capitalise on this othering of the Russian people to support his us-against-them narrative. Every English person that has a positive interaction with a Russian person is a step further away from letting the people in power turn us against each other ... is what I drunkenly mumbled into Anastasia’s ear a few minutes before I learned she had a husband, and a few minutes after she’d said there are no good computer hackers in Russia, and about 20 minutes after I’d been singing “Football’s coming home”. We’re all living in our own fantasies I suppose.
Zagadka
Zagadka
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:56 am

Its time to kill the idea that Sweden are a bunch of scrubs, they have the best defense of the competition after Uruguay (and maybe Brazil), and they are really organized on counters. I think Engerland are still favorites though
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:06 am

No English fan thinks they are tbf, I think it's more neutrals that think that they are scrubs.

I'm at the point that no team left are scrubs.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Perucho21 Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:31 am

Would love to see a special ref appearance by Sven Goren Eriksen
Perucho21
Perucho21
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next