Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?

+34
free_cat
rincon
windkick
nasir6371
zigra
McAgger
Firenze
RealGunner
urbaNRoots
Donuts
Cookie Monster
Dante
Pip
Lucifer
Kaladin
Ion Creanga
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Art Morte
S
juvealbanian
jibers
titosantill
sportsczy
Doc
Adit
Cruijf
M99
futbol
Hapless_Hans
BarrileteCosmico
Kick
Winter is Coming
Mr Nick09
FelixMagic
38 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?  Empty Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?

Post by FelixMagic Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:17 am

For me he is. I watch football sinze more than 20 years and i never seen nothing like him. I saw his last game against Marseille  and he was out of this world. Psg sucked their midfielders constantly lost the ball in midfield but Aurier and especially Silva were phenomenal. And this is just one of many absurd performances I've seen from him. His ability to read the game, his tactical intelligence and his ability to stop other strikers even in situations of numerical inferiority, has no par in the world, no one come close.

It's simply ridiculous to compare any other defender to him, Ramos, Boateng, Pique are all garbage compared to him. Pique for me to said the true has never been nothing of exceptional, has always been protecetd from the midfield and from the 70% of ball possession of Barca. When the midfiled and the system don't worked, he has always been mediocre. The only one who is close to Silva sometimes is Kompany.

FelixMagic
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?  Empty Re: Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:28 am

maybe if he was playing vs a top 10 euro team i would agree with you, but no he wasnt. He was playing against the likes of nkoudou, batsuayi and barrada.

We all know he is very good, but the level of teams he plays against in no way justify your comments, nor the performances he put in big competitions with his NT or in CL.

Being the best comes down to performances, not to how look he looks in a bit par game against some mid level team.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?  Empty Re: Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?

Post by Winter is Coming Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:43 am

He's good, but best defender in modern football? rofl
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:44 am

When does modern football extend back to?

If it's post 2010, I could agree, but before that, there are many options.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:11 am

Has enough time passed from the 7-1 to start hyping Thiago again?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:12 am

He didn't play in that game, BC hmm
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:14 am

Ahhhh you're right. Embarassed

Old age does things to my memory
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:17 am

You just love any excuse to bring that game up, don't you? Wink
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:20 am

Thiago Silva best defender, Aurier best right back, Angel Di Maria best right winger and better than Özil and James, Lucas Moura better dribbler than Hazard, Neymar, Iniesta...

I can't help but see a pattern emerging, Felix hmm
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:25 am

No.

Next.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:32 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Has enough time passed from the 7-1 to start hyping Thiago again?

Kick wrote:He didn't play in that game, BC hmm

Let's not forget why he didn't play in that game though.

Because he thought it was a good idea to do this when one more yellow leads to a suspensionIs Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?  ShadyImpartialBlacknorwegianelkhound
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:51 am

GOAT defender Proud
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:05 am

If you mean in the 2010s decade then you are right. For me he is clearly the best defender.

inb4Chiellini
inb4Boateng
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:12 am

Well he said, "I watch football sinze more than 20 years and i never seen nothing like him"

So, I'm assuming he's speaking about over the course of time.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:26 am

Then no. He is not the best defender.

In the last 20 years Terry, Vidic, Ferdinand, Puyol, Thuram, Cafu, Nesta, Maldini, and Carvalho were all better than him, and that's just off the top of my head.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:55 am

My list is shorter. I am only counting CBs. Nesta, Thuram, Cannavaro, Maldini were certainly better than him. Carvalho was not. I have him the same level as Vidic. He just does not have any CLs compared to the others. I hope he and Zlatan manages to win one.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:59 am

Kick wrote:Then no. He is not the best defender.

In the last 20 years Terry, Vidic, Ferdinand, Puyol, Thuram, Cafu, Nesta, Maldini, and Carvalho were all better than him, and that's just off the top of my head.

Come on some of those are pushing it...

Prime Silva was imo better than Terry, Carvalho, Vidic, and Ferdinand, and Cafu doesn't really apply because he was a fullback.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:11 am

As he stated defender, Cafu is a perfectly legit call, seeing as he is a defender.

I think Prime Vidic and Terry were above Silva, tbh. But is just my personal opinion.

Regardless, Silva is not the best modern defender.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:12 am

Prime Silva didn't hack it in Europe and played in post calciopoli serie A and now plays in french league.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:14 am

Yeah Kick but Cafu wasn't really known for his defending, got embarrassed quite frequently actually Laughing

I agree though, Silva is not the best modern defender.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:14 am

Different strokes for different folks because I really won't put JT in that list. And no, Silva ain't the best "modern" defender. In fact, what is considered modern?
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:16 am

Doc wrote:Different strokes for different folks because I really won't put JT in that list. And no, Silva ain't the best "modern" defender. In fact, what is considered modern?

OP loosely defined modern as the last 20 years.

So anytime between now and 1996.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:22 am

Silva is fantastic but too emotional... and i don't get the CL comments when he basically won the tie for PSG against Chelsea last season.  I also remember him clinching a draw against Barca at the Camp Nu when with Milan.

Best in the modern era?  The two are Thuram and Nesta if we're talking post 1995. I'm talking defense here, not a defender who is good offensively.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:46 am

based on kick's description; if 'modern' is between now and the last twenty years, thiago silva won't even make my top ten. wing backs excluded; vidic, campbell, nesta, thuram, rio, maldini (he played cb at times), staam, desailly, lucio, hierro, terry, kuffour, cannavaro (before real madrid) damn shall i really go on? if 'modern' is last 5/6 years, i don't know if he's the best....

i'll say probably the most popular; although i think he'd still have to ask permission from vidic, rio, terry, lucio and puyol (btw i have questions about puyol; he used to be extremely shaky and erratic until barca/spain started keeping the ball for 88 minutes. a defender should never defend by putting his hands in his face in the penalty area....that's like defense 101).

and if silva is tops in this era, i don't know...i mean if kompany, ramos and pique are the supposed big boys of this generation then :facepalm: a couple of ugly women fighting, i guess one ugly woman has to win at some point.
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:30 am

A lot of CBs were pretty damn great before and after their Real Madrid years for some reason Laughing
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next