Why doesn't Ronaldo get the respect he deserves?

+51
M99
McAgger
Hapless_Hans
FennecFox7
Doc
futbol
Curtinho
chad4401
Myesyats
Dnmac4
Claudio84
Winter is Coming
Kaladin
Collblanc
Valkyrja
Freeza
The Franchise
jontsu
Onyx
jibers
zenmaster
Pedram
free_cat
Mr Nick09
titosantill
EarlyPrototype
Thimmy
Be/\/ceCALI
Gil
B-Mac
Kick
Tomwin Lannister
zigra
Donuts
farfan
Casciavit
BarrileteCosmico
zizzle
Firenze
sportsczy
Lucifer
LeSwagg James
rwo power
El Gunner
Lex
futbol_bill
Jack Daniels
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Harmonica
izzy
RealGunner
55 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Why doesn't Ronaldo get the respect he deserves? - Page 3 Empty Re: Why doesn't Ronaldo get the respect he deserves?

Post by jibers Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:08 am

He gets the respect he desreves. Using Ballon D'or as an indicator of a persons ability is a misnomer. The fact people forget here is that football is a team game and the purpose of these things is to win trophies.

I don't think he is the 2nd best player of this generation, Xavi is ahead of him for the reason I stated above. CR has been in a super team for about 5 years and the rate of trophies return is pathetic to be very honest. Did Madrid pay 80 mill for him to break Rauls goal scoring record? Raul was clutch in 2 cl finals and has multiple league titles while with CR as the main man at RM, Madrid have one league title since 2009, the same as Atletico Madrid.

Another thing is the absolute elites of each generation where able to create and score in varying degrees, Puskas, Di Stefano, Cruijff, Messi, Gaarincha, Pele, Mardona etc CR quite frankly is just a goal scorer, you can't mask it any other way. Outside of his goals (which most are set up by team members) he offers nothing tangible to his team.

Also a major criticism of him is that at key moments he doesn't step up. This is all in hindsight of course. When we one the cl he scored a goal but the key moment in that game was his pen and he missed. Against Bayern in the semis again that was the biggest moment for him in the game he missed. Last season he scored basically two tap ins against Juve but did absolutely nothing else. As far as I'm concerned, he is not even on the same level as Gerd Muller as Muller had the stats and the trophies because he turned up in the absolute key moments.  

This is the era of stats now, not team play. CR might have the stats but his lack of team play (which hinders Madrid) and him failing to lead Madrid to major trophies over his time at Madrid means he will never rank anywhere near the very elite for me. Also Madrids 2 biggest trophy wins under Ancelotti 3 if you cont the CWC, CR did nothing in those games. He didn't play the copa final and was useless in the final. Scored a penalty and that for me summed him up. His drive and determination to score is second to none and his dedication to his body is admirable but there is nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade.

CR can score 900 goals for Madrid but if they don't win how is he the best? Makes 0 sense. Individual talent MUST translate to team success. It has been that way since the start of football and CRs stat padding wont make me see it any other way.

jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Why doesn't Ronaldo get the respect he deserves? - Page 3 Empty Re: Why doesn't Ronaldo get the respect he deserves?

Post by El Gunner Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:19 am

And also there's this thing in which he seems literally obsessed with the numbers (goals/stats). He wants them and most of the time it looks like he is more concerned about those individual records than team accomplishments. It is quite natural that people won't be too fond of that because football is still a team sport.

I agree with that he has developed his game so much so that he is now a pure, pure poacher. But as has been mentioned, it's quite reasonable that his style of play took this turn. Look at all the classic dribbling wingers in the history of the sport, let's take one of the most recent ones in Ronaldinho for instance, 3/4 years at the top of his game and that's about it. He is gone, he is forgotten. This guy did what Ronaldinho did in his whole career at United, and then came to Madrid and then added another dimension to his game and now he'll be considered as one of the finest wingers and poachers this game as ever seen.

He just doesn't help himself a lot of times with his shitty, flashy, selfish attitude, so I think he gets just about the right amount of respect he deserves.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:23 am

Exactly jibers, we just basically said the same thing.

and lol at the Kobe comparison. Kobe took the Lakers from despairity and won them 2 back-to-back titles, almost 3 in a row.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:37 am

I think it's because of his whole 'superstar' image. If he was a quiet underdog in the background doing what he does now, I'm sure he'd be respected a hell of a lot more.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:55 am

kobe of last two seasons is different from the one with gasol and bynum. just as cristiano is different from the one at utd. point with kobe was, the older he gets, rather than chalking up shots, he should help his teammates become better, and that could translate to lakers making the playoffs. similar to cristiano, great player, but hardly makes others around better....he makes them look good, but that's particularly when they give him assists, like ozil for instance
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jontsu Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:04 am

I think mainly because most of his goals haven't been that crucial in Madrid in the past 6 years. Cristiano enjoys scoring, Madrid fans would enjoy trophies. He has excellent positioning but he can't decide a game by himself or come up with something magic.
jontsu
jontsu
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:45 am

Stuff that makes me dislike CR7 is his silly posturing for free-kicks (especially as his conversion rate there is not exactly the best - and who can forget his FK at the World Cup that hit little the lamb, er, Lahm), plus when he scores only the 4th or the 5th goal of a match and then celebrates this as if he won the match single-handedly all on his own. *smh*
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:48 am

What has Wenger done to RG? Totally broken his mind ffs

One of the greatest players of all time? RG....

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:36 pm

It's not his personality. It's the eye-test. He doesn't look like the best. Only the stats enhance his stature. I'd take Zidane over him any day.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:51 pm

Freeza wrote:It's not his personality. It's the eye-test. He doesn't look like the best.

It is as simple as this. Nothing else.

This guy scored 8 goals in 2 games earlier in the season right? Not one single goal was impressive.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:58 pm

Freeza wrote:It's not his personality. It's the eye-test. He doesn't look like the best. Only the stats enhance his stature. I'd take Zidane over him any day.

No way is Zidane better than him.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Collblanc Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:07 pm

Many people admire athletes who are humble. This is why i enjoy Messi, Aguero, Mike Trout, Eli Manning, Kevin Durant, Derek Jeter etc. Just normal guys who are supergood at something without bragging, without attitude. Ronaldo, Zidane, Balotelli, Ibrahimovic, Drogba, Nasri, etc are so full of themselve. Just hate these type of guys. Stay humble.
Collblanc
Collblanc
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:11 pm

Valkyrja wrote:
Freeza wrote:It's not his personality. It's the eye-test. He doesn't look like the best. Only the stats enhance his stature. I'd take Zidane over him any day.

No way is Zidane better than him.

I'm curious what makes CR better than Zidane?
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:18 pm

More so, how can you compare CR to Zidane? Completely different players
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Collblanc Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:19 pm

CR is only better in his goalscoring. Zidane was much more intelligent, better vision, better passing, better defending. Different roles.
Collblanc
Collblanc
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:23 pm

It's funny how people always try to downplay Cristiano's football intelligence. Most of his goals come from excelent timing and decision making. Add to that his technical, physical and mental qualities and you get the complete modern day forward.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:30 pm

This whole good boy VS bad boy is a myth. Maradona was shagging women left, right center and leaving, did cocaine, evaded taxes has a cuhnt of a personality, despite that is admired, if you said to me 3-4 years back it was I might have agreed between Messi/Ronaldo, but recently Messi tax evasion, tattooed up like gangsta character in those comedy shows, abandon that kid in the state and skip one of his tours, etc while Ronaldo has been an angel in the press and the opinions still haven't changed rofl

Ronaldo is a great goal scorer in his earlier days he even had a pretty good overall game, but since his move to RM and his obsession with matching Messi he sacrificed everything, team play, his game, his own team itself. I still remember the Euros 12 when Portugal won one of their games 3-2 in group stages I believe against Denmark and the guy sat on the side moping on why he probably didn't score the winner instead of celebrating getting the 3 points.

I remember hearing for the past a few years when Ronaldo joined them we had the better team and CR had to carry them, while Messi benefited from Xavi/Iniesta, but the past 3 years or so Madrid squad talent wise has been superior to ours and Xavi declined and Iniesta role has slightly changed despite that Messi is still the same player without those guys.

As the best goes it'll always depend and how some people rank them, to me Cruyff and Xavi were the best, due to how they influenced their teams and the legacy they left behind, especially Cruyff due to his influence in football that still lives on.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:33 pm

Valkyrja wrote:It's funny how people always try to downplay Cristiano's football intelligence. Most of his goals come from excelent timing and decision making. Add to that his technical, physical and mental qualities and you get the complete modern day forward.

Your just saying generic terms with no meaning what so ever. Come on dude.

What football intelligence is this you speak about? Shooting the ball every time you touch it anywhere close to the goal is a good sign of football intelligence?

What technical qualities? What mental qualities?

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:40 pm

The Franchise wrote:
Valkyrja wrote:It's funny how people always try to downplay Cristiano's football intelligence. Most of his goals come from excelent timing and decision making. Add to that his technical, physical and mental qualities and you get the complete modern day forward.

What football intelligence is this you speak about? Shooting the ball every time you touch it anywhere close to the goal is a good sign of football intelligence?

Laughing

The guy has the most shots per game since opta started collating stats. The guy has the most shots per game in EURO history and scored 4 goals Laughing

That's intelligence for you. Great shot selection.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Claudio84 Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:00 pm

He has scored important goals. header that gave us Copa Del Rey, he missed his pen against Bayern, true, but he also scored two prior that, Cristiano has been unlucky he had to compete with Messi and of the best team in history, it's not all on him

Claudio84
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:33 pm

For me it was 3 different occasions that showed his true colors and IMO make him extremely unlikable.

1) Not celebrating Bale's goal against Atletico in the CL final.  That was the wining goal which bailed CR7 out as he had an absolute terrible game, I mean really terrible that game and gave HIS CLUB LA Decima which he's supposed to care about first and foremost.

2)In the Euro's when Portugal lost on PK's and he forgot how to count to 5 and tried to rig the order so he could kick what he thought would be the winning PK.  The shear arrogance to think you could control that situation and rig it to your advantage is mind blowing.

In the end, he being Portugal's best player, he never even took a PK.  He should have gone first and instead he tried to rig it to be the hero.  I still think he doesn't get enough blame for that.  In my over 30 years of watching sports I really have never seen anything so selfish, especially when representing your country.

3)When he was trolling for a goal at the end of LA Decima when the game was well out of hand got a soft penalty, converted it ran away from his team and ripped his shirt off like a maniac.  

And you knew that would be the image in the papers the next day, him with his shirt off even though he did nothing that game.  Especially against a cross town rival who put Madrid to the ultimate test that game it was so low class, some trailer park crap he pulled.

He is still the second best player in the world though and I don't know what more "credit" he deserves?  

I have been saying for years we are taking Messi and Ronaldo for granted and wont realize there true greatness until there not playing anymore.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:44 pm

The Franchise wrote:

savage ffs

might as well close the thread

Myesyats
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:59 pm

In terms of respect by the way. There is some kind of discussion (which I can never understand) and debate between him and Messi. There are a large number of people who have the delusion he is better than Messi, or even as good..that itself is incredible respect.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:25 pm

The Franchise wrote:

coming from the guy who just +1'd a post arguing that Ronaldo isn't one of the best because he doesn't pass the " eye test " ? Laughing  that's objectivity for you .
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:56 pm

izzy wrote:He gets the respect he deserves................. unless you're talking about Chad, who thinks Benzema is the 2nd coming of Moses and is Ronlado's "equal". Laughing
this is why your posts can't be taken seriously.

cr is a pleb that needs a mountain of chances to score, cause his finishing is garbage fact.

he is a clown that jokers like you will call leader, has he bashes anyone who takes a shot and not pass to him fact.

you all love saying benzema has weak mentality, yet he could handle the home fans booing him, because it became a cool thing to do, but the onetime they seriously booed cr he threaten to leave the club ffs rofl, that mental strength.... rofl.. fact.

lets not forget how brilliant he was in clasico's..... not Laughing, after all these years he can still manage to be one of the worst players or just the worst on the pitch when the match is over, gets a free pass for tap in or pen fact.

the sooner he leaves the sooner the team can win things, cause he is garbage outsides of tap ins/pens(still miss if its a big game) been that way for 3 seasons now fact.

as i said i don't feel obligated to praise someone, that forces the team to put him scoring, over actually trying to win the games, no matter how you wish to suck him off izzy, the fact remains 10% of those are pens,30% tap ins, 20% decent and meaningful and 50% useless stat padding, and we won bleep all with him, he is a pleb like i care how big his brand is Laughing.

Last edited by chad4401 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Ronaldo is one of the greatest individual players of all time without a doubt. His combination of skill, positioning and physical ability is almost unreal.

With that said his mentality has stopped him from becoming truly respected and praised. He does it to himself. The thing about him is that he has all the talent and ability to be a more dynamic player, but his obsession with goals and records I think transformed him. I fully believe he could still be a 40 - 50 goal player if he played without worrying about individual statistics and I still believe, behind Messi, he is clearly the 2nd best player of his generation by a mile and one of the best of all time.

Though still, I do feel people underrate his contributions as an individual. The space he provides others, his timing, finishing, shooting technique and his ability to read plays as they are developing are all top notch. People undervalue his goals as though a goal 'doesn't count' unless you've dribbled 5 players first. Look at the success rate of dribbling past more than 1 or 2 players for anyone and then look at the success rate of Ronaldo's shooting. It's really no different. It just isn't as pretty. Yes, Messi scores more beautiful dribbling goals than anyone, but he also tries them more often than anyone...because he can. Just like Ronaldo puts himself into shooting positions that he can score from more often than anyone.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next