Harmonica
Myesyats
Gil
46 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Iniesta - Page 10 Empty Re: Iniesta

Post by Thimmy Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:45 am

That’s understandable, Mclewis. What I have an issue with, personally, are the people on social media who milk things like this for what it’s worth. People are willing to go to great lengths to make something go viral. It may not have been the right thing to do, but I don’t believe there was any intentional racism here, yet a lot of people seem to want to create as much hysteria out of it as possible. Like someone already mentioned, he’s apologized, I’m sure he’s learnt from it, let’s move on. That’s the most rational thing to do, the way I see it. I don’t know what people expect him to do, now that he’s already apologized. The reaction on social media would make more sense if this was a repeated offense.

Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:23 am

Never expected this thread to snowball when I originally just posted the picture to fish for reactions from Barca fans lel
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:58 am

Not that I agree with the Twitter backlash on this necessarily but I will say there is nothing that gets GL citizens more outraged than Twitter outrage.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of times it's pretty dumb, in my opinion (it's contextual, sometimes it's warranted). I hate the outrage culture that exists on Twitter, it's a thing. But man do some people here get REALLY triggered on here by it. In an eerily similar way.

How are those who are seemingly this upset that Iniesta apologized for something that could have caused offense to fans he has worldwide (he surely has many black fans in the US alone) any better than those who were upset that the picture was posted in the first place?

Thank you M99, Clutch and McLewis for offering your thoughts, I appreciated those posts.

The other thing I have to say is...and it's really more of an earnest question: is it really not racist to paint yourself a black person (you are white) in Spain? I'm not trying to make a point, I'm just asking because I'm unaware. This thread seems to indicate no.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm

CBarca wrote:
The other thing I have to say is...and it's really more of an earnest question: is it really not racist to paint yourself a black person (you are white) in Spain? I'm not trying to make a point, I'm just asking because I'm unaware. This thread seems to indicate no.

Don't think it's possible to say that it is simply 'not racist', generally speaking. Racism is a part of Spain's culture as it is anywhere in Europe, and therefore these instances of representation and image making are always infused.
It's surely always problematic.

I just don't feel that it's always enough for someone, like @McLewis did here, to say they're offended and then what happened is offensive.
Not when things are so complicated and different histories, cultural practices, nationalities, contexts are involved.

I'm not saying the practice of Catholics to dress up as a black Wise Man, or 'moor', on 6th of January, is innocent and removed from racist implications, but honestly I'd be interested to hear what EXACTLY about it, that is very common in Europe and a common part of Christmas plays and celebration, is offensive.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's something to be said, but it's not the same as other practices of 'blackface' like in the US in context of Jim Crow and later, which is the concept of 'blackfacing' that is at this very moment driving the debate, for good reason.
I just don't feel that we help ourselves by lumping everything together into one Twitter twirl of short and instant judgement.

This representation of a black Wise Man among the three has been around for many centuries, it is on the surface surely not derogatory, there's no indication the black Wise Man is not equal to the other two, i.e. one could as much argue that is a representation of a coming together of different skin colours as one, in the face of Jesus being born. Couldn't you?
And then, what exactly would be wrong with playacting this scene involving face paint, just like involving costumes, props, false beards?

Now, it would be interesting to find out why exactly that one Wise Man becomes more and more black and 'moorish' in the Western European image tradition, as it seems happening from 1500 onwards. Surely there's link to the rise of colonialism there, but it's surely a complicated one.

Also, as an anti-Catholic, and knowing the history of Christianity and it's implication into atrocities towards people of colour, I could argue any instance of Christian practice is offensive, but I don't see people complaining about Christmas or Easter celebrations per se.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:05 pm

CBarca wrote:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a traditional Christmas celebration! The man being portrailed was a King, a wise man.

It’s about time the Americans stopped with their portrayal that everything normal in the USA should be the standard for the rest of the world. You aren’t the ruler of the world.

I say if reaction like this are the new norm, under Trump, then start recognizing that you are becoming a simple isolated nation, soon to be cut off from rest of world!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:46 pm

Heard mentality in social media, were even the worst people have voice and followers is one of the dangers for humanity.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10