El Gunner
M99
rwo power
Kamikaze692
Blue Barrett
83 posters

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down

Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea - First Leg - Page 15 Empty Re: Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea - First Leg

Post by guest7 Wed 23 Apr 2014 - 17:05

Zealous wrote:
But honestly I will never understand Mou's approach to the first leg of a tie that is played away from home. He has always maintained that he only seeks to avoid defeat in the first leg be it at home or away. I disagree completely with that.

If you are away from home you should be trying to score as many away goals as possible even if it means you lose the game. I'd take a 4-3 loss over a low scoring affair away from home. Knowing that I'll have the away goal advantage in the second leg.

If the first leg were at Stamford Bridge I would say that this result was perfect for Chelsea but as it stands any scoring draw sees Atleti through and a scoring draw is strong possibility considering the style of both teams.

Mou's approach away from home is logical only because he is a king at home. Had a undefeated record at home + generally for him home is a big advantage.

Just plays to his strenghts although I think he overdoes it. There are certainly moments where he could attack away from home.

guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea - First Leg - Page 15 Empty Re: Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea - First Leg

Post by che Wed 23 Apr 2014 - 17:10

in the last 5 years of the champions league, 5 teams didn't score an away goal in the first game of the semifinal - arsenal and chelsea in 08/09, lyon in 09/10, barcelona in 10/11 and 11/12

all of them were eliminated

in fact, this goes further than the semifinals... in the QFs, bayern in 08/09, cska in 09/10, spurs in 10/11, galatasaray and juventus in 12/13 got eliminated and only dortmund in 12/13 and barcelona in 11/12 progressed

that's 12 situations where the away team didn't get a goal in the first game, and in 10 of them were eliminated

now to compare that with the normal pattern, out of the 18 occasions where the away team DID get a goal, 11 times they progressed, 7 times they were dumped out
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Wed 23 Apr 2014 - 17:21

Zealous wrote:As boring as it was Chelsea did manage to expose Atleti's rather simplistic offensive style.

But honestly I will never understand Mou's approach to the first leg of a tie that is played away from home. He has always maintained that he only seeks to avoid defeat in the first leg be it at home or away. I disagree completely with that.

If you are away from home you should be trying to score as many away goals as possible even if it means you lose the game. I'd take a 4-3 loss over a low scoring affair away from home. Knowing that I'll have the away goal advantage in the second leg.

If the first leg were at Stamford Bridge I would say that this result was perfect for Chelsea but as it stands any scoring draw sees Atleti through and a scoring draw is strong possibility considering the style of both teams.

It's not like it was something no one knew before this game..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed 23 Apr 2014 - 17:41

harhar11 wrote:
Zealous wrote:As boring as it was Chelsea did manage to expose Atleti's rather simplistic offensive style.

It's not like it was something no one knew before this game..

I meant even more simplistic than what people thought. Many people (at least the people I spoke to) were saying that Atleti could bully their way to one or maybe two goals.

Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Wed 23 Apr 2014 - 17:49

they could have imo, raul garcia headed every chance he got over the bar and costa snatched at all his chance, chelsea was negative true but atleti kinda fail to convert the few chances they got imo.
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed 23 Apr 2014 - 18:00

Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea - First Leg - Page 15 1398199894617
Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea - First Leg - Page 15 1398199962579
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed 23 Apr 2014 - 18:04

I don't get why people still keep track of Jose's quotes/comments. He very clearly doesn't care about consistency, keeping score is a waste of time lol
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sun 27 Apr 2014 - 4:55

che wrote:in the last 5 years of the champions league, 5 teams didn't score an away goal in the first game of the semifinal - arsenal and chelsea in 08/09, lyon in 09/10, barcelona in 10/11 and 11/12

all of them were eliminated

in fact, this goes further than the semifinals... in the QFs, bayern in 08/09, cska in 09/10, spurs in 10/11, galatasaray and juventus in 12/13 got eliminated and only dortmund in 12/13 and barcelona in 11/12 progressed

that's 12 situations where the away team didn't get a goal in the first game, and in 10 of them were eliminated

now to compare that with the normal pattern, out of the 18 occasions where the away team DID get a goal, 11 times they progressed, 7 times they were dumped out

Thats interesting stat, as important as away goal is, I still feel managers still prefer to be cautious and safe in the first leg if they are the away team, and the home team has the pressure to score the goals.... it just feels thats the way it has always been and still is.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15