Will goalscorers always be rated higher than other types of players?

+7
Harmonica
Motogp69
McLewis
Tomwin Lannister
The Franchise
rwo power
Onyx
11 posters

Go down

Will goalscorers always be rated higher than other types of players? Empty Will goalscorers always be rated higher than other types of players?

Post by Onyx Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:16 pm

It's unfortunate that goalscorers are rated higher than let's say playmakers. It kinda makes sense, because they score goals and that's what football is about, however playmakers are just as influential.

For example if Isco or Ozil was compared to Bale, people might be inclined to say Bale is better because he scores goals and they don't. However an argument against that would Isco/Ozil impact the game more due to their creativity, better close control dribbling, link up and passing.

I don't think a goalscorer should always be ranked higher than a playmaker.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Will goalscorers always be rated higher than other types of players? Empty Re: Will goalscorers always be rated higher than other types of players?

Post by rwo power Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:25 pm

That's one of my pet peeves, too. IMO one can't really determine a "best footballer" óver all positions - it would be more sensible to divide this at least into GK / Defender / Midfielder / Forward.

That said, I was positively surprised with the UEFA Woman Player of the Year, where Nadine Angerer as GK was chosen over midfielder Lena Goeßling and forward Lotta Schelin.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Will goalscorers always be rated higher than other types of players? Empty Re: Will goalscorers always be rated higher than other types of players?

Post by The Franchise Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:20 pm

But a goalscorer isnt always ranked higher than a "playmaker".

Nobody in their right mind thinks Higuain is better than Iniesta for example.

But you know, does it really matter who is ranked higher?

Once they get out on the pitch, your arbitrary ranking wont save you.

I have played with and against players who are better than me, but it makes no difference on the potential impact each of us can have. People who speak about football need to realise the importance of team.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Yeh not Iniesta and Higuain, but for example there's people who say Bale is the 3rd best player in the World. Why do they say that? Because he scored match winning goals last season. Because he scores free kicks, long shots, is quick etc, he's supposedly a 'complete' player. However it's goals that hypes players up.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:10 pm

I dont know why people say that. Perhaps they dont understand football, I dont know.

But I would guess, or at least hope, it isnt JUST because he scores goals. But because he can cause havoc to teams who dont do the correct things to slow him down.

He is obviously not the 3rd best player in the world, or even top 10, but in the end, people will have their own opinions on players and it will be.

I think most people dont think whoever scores the most goals is the better player though, but of course it has a big impact, sometimes too big a one.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:19 pm

"That's one of my pet peeves, too. IMO one can't really determine a "best footballer" óver all positions - it would be more sensible to divide this at least into GK / Defender / Midfielder / Forward."

Been saying this for so long.

If people are desperate to put a 'best player' tag on somebody, it should really be about who can play most of the different roles in football to a higher standard :coffee:

As for your point.

I think it is just about goalscorers getting more attention. And that won't change, because at the end of the day the goals are what people go to see, it's what wins games and it's the highlight of a game.

It's unfair at times but it's fairly understandable why people can sometimes ignore everybody except the goalscorer.

Imo, DM's and full backs are the most ignored outfield players of them all.

Outside of forums you won't normally hear people mention any of them in a lengthy football conversation.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:20 pm

Tomwin Lannister wrote:If people are desperate to put a 'best player' tag on somebody, it should really be about who can play most of the different roles in football to a higher standard :coffee:
Kevin Großkreutz from Borussia Dortmund? By now he played everything including goalkeeper (Kloppo's true all-purpose weapon) ^^

Proof:
Spoiler:
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:26 pm

Not bad Proud

Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:37 pm

Think the OP needs to be expanded a bit more to just attackers in general being rated higher than other players. That's what's really unfortunate.

The defensive side of the game is still highly unappreciated.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:33 pm

I personally think this is true, but it only applies to the "casual" fan. However, the "casual" fan is the majority so this would hold true for the majority of football fans.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:32 pm

No, it isn't only about goal scoring, and never has been. It's the overall performance. Gomez scored some 40-50 goals season back. Wasn't even nominated for Ballon d'Or. Iniesta is one of the worst goal scorers ever, and he's been ranked Top 3 in the world many seasons already.

What is sad that some of these individual accolades are given based on team performances. It's one thing which should remain clearly separate.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Badamdar Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:21 pm

Its vice verse. Playmakers always rated higher than goalscorers. List of Fifa world player awards in last decade:
Zidane
Figo
Rivaldo
Kaka
Cannavaro
R9
Ronaldinho

Only 1 goalscorer among them.
And today nothing changed. Messi is playmaker+scorer not only scorer.add here his previous winger position too. He can play 3 positions at high level. If he was only scorer nobody would rate him as high.

Only trolls say Bale is 3rd best player.

Actually goals mean nothing for people if its not beautiful. They will forget it. What they remember is your extraordinary skills. Goals are bonus

Badamdar
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RonaldoGreatestEverRM Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:50 pm

Well, if we have 2 players, and one has 30 assists in the season while the other 30 goals, i'd always take the one with the 30 assists, way more impressive&outstanding, but, usually that's not the case.

Goalscoring is the alpha part of football, and the most impactful.

And i agree with Badamdar, lots of people underrate goal scorers and only look at players' aesthetical presense, tricks, dribbling, etc. While Defense is equally as important as Offense, it seems to me it's more of a matter of the system/overall team defense that enhances your defensive reputation.
RonaldoGreatestEverRM
RonaldoGreatestEverRM
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:02 pm

Without goals.. you can't win. That's obvious of course.

It's what you do with the ball as well.. but even if you aren't skilled, if you play with the team and know your limits and score lots, you can easily be rated "best in the world". I personally don't like that label, as mclewis said, defending is very important as well, you can't say an attacking midfielder is better then a Centerback
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by zenmaster Wed May 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Striker no doubt people remember for the job which they do , as a finisher. No one bothers about who assisted it. Comparing players of two different department is kind lame IMO.

But legends will always be remember , be it Maldini or Cruyff or Maradona or Schmeichel. But yes if we talk about a game people remember always who finished it; in general.

In the end of the day its a consistence and class which matters ,  be it a striker or the defender. That is what people remember in a long run.
zenmaster
zenmaster
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down